“WOW!!!!!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Hugh Town, null, United Kingdom
“WOW!!!!!”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed here for our Honeymoon last September for three weeks and I can honestly say it was the best hotel either one of us had ever stayed in. From the moment we arrived in the lobby we were treated like royalty. Cocktails and a damp towel on arrival is a great touch. The room was spacious and had a lovely view over the gardens. You really feel as if you're staying in a cabin in the jungle. There is a mini fridge in the room which also gets topped up with beer and soft drinks each day, and if you want more beer and less softys just leave the maid a note and thy wish shall be done. We were two minutes away from the nearest pool (of which there are many) and restaurant (of which there are loads). The bars all serve a great selection of drinks including premium spirits and the Corona went down very well in the swealtering heat. Be prepared for a few storms in September as the rain does have a tendency to hit pretty fast but thankfully never for very long. The entertainment is first class every day and there were some spectacular shows in the evening, especially the pirate show with a full spinning pirate ship live on stage. All of the staff were excellent and really polite and helpful, especially "Super" Mario in the collonial pool bar who produced some excellent cocktails which I still have no idea what was in them and have never been able to replicate. If you get a chance when your staying here try one of the local parks such as xel ha for a fantastic day out and also head down to Akumal beach for spot of swimming with turtles. The best Holiday ever.

Room Tip: All of the rooms were very good from our conversations with other guests. We got an upgrade because...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chodders
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Chodders,

Thank you very much for posting a positive review of your stay with us ! We appreciate your time.

Kind regards

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,012)
  • Polish first
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed here the first two weeks in August, two adults & 2 teenage boys. I can not recommend this resort highly enough, the food was excellent, the staff wonderful. Staff work hard to ensure that the resort is spotless and I found everyone extremely helpful and polite. We ate in 3 of the al a carte restaurants, the Chinese, Brazilian and American - they were all lovely but the Brazilian was our favourite.

We went down to the main pool about 9:30 everyday and did not struggle to get beds with shade, the wildlife was amazing!!! We are looking to return next year, try it you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank vonnie_davies
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear vonnie_davies,

Thank you for your good comments. I am glad to know that you are considering visit us the next year. Don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything.

Best regards,

Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband and I were at this resort August 28-31, 2013 for a friend's wedding. To sum it up quickly, we thought the resort was average overall. The best parts were the beach and the pool with the swim up bar. The rooms were atrocious, simply because of the horribly strong smell of mildew. It really was terrible. The rooms were kept clean, however I couldn't ever get past the smell. The grounds were clean and kept up nicely. Bring your bug spray, though. We got eaten alive by mosquitoes while there. The food was only ok. Nothing to write home about. The breakfast buffet was the best of any of the food we tried. The people who worked there weren't overly friendly and were not quick to help you. I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Benedettimom71
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Benedettimom71,

I would like to offer you our apologies for the incidents that you have had during your vacation. I will take note about your comments and I will analize this with the rest of the team.

Please, if we can help you with anything, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We have just returned from an 11 night stay at this beautiful resort!! Here is our review from a young welsh couple.....

Positives:
- Cleanliness. The amount of staff working endlessly to clean this resort is outstanding. Our room was cleaned to a very high standard and so were the grounds.
- Grounds. The hotel grounds are simply beautiful!!! Wildlife and beautiful walkways, art and water features everywhere! It certainly has the wow factor. Yes it is huge but this is a good thing because you have plenty of places to go.
- Beach. Stunning! Water is so clear that you don't need snorkels to see the fish! Very soft and clean sand. Plenty of beds. We booked an excursion to the isle of contoy- a secluded island- and the hotel beach was just as nice!
- Pools. Huge and very clean. Plenty of sunbeds- you never have to search for one here! The riviera pool was our favourite- a large lagoon surrounded by a beautiful lake. There is work taking place at the colonial pool but this is only minor and we were informed of this before by First Choice and again when checking in. Just go to another pool if it bothers you!
- Rooms. We stayed in a newly renovated room in the Kantenah side which was very modern and spacious and overlooked the jungle. Lovely king size bed, marble furnishings, modern bathroom and decoration, flat screen tv, very handy mini bar and ice bucket. Better than our house!!
- Staff. The majority of staff display fantastic customer service and go out of their way to help. We would like to thank the bellboy Alejandro for providing excellent service and going out of his way for us on numerous occasions. You could tell he loved his job. Also Miguel and Lindsey our holiday reps provided amazing service and were very helpful. The hotel entertainment staff were the best I have experienced- amazingly enthusiastic given the hours that they work, not at all cheesy, engaging but not pushy and very entertaining!
- Shows. Very impressed with these- particularly the riviera shows. The acrobatics were very entertaining!

Negatives- notes to hotel and not to put off other guests.....
- Staff. In the most part we experienced great service but I have to point out that we received particularly bad service at both beach snack bars. In the first instance our order was "forgotten" completely so I had to wait an hour for a sandwich and no apology given despite me still thanking them!! In the second instance the waitress had to be called even though it wasn't busy because she overlooked us for 15 mins. She then pulled a face implying we were rude to call her which was completely unnecessary, we were simply pointing out that we were there and wanted to order!
-Restaurants. The food was very poor and only warm at both the beach snack bars. Cleanliness at the Buffett was questionable after finding hair in my food on two occasions and the table cloths were filthy because they were never replaced between sittings.
- Drinks. You will have to drink about 15 cocktails to feel tipsy here! They were watered down a lot but tasted lovely.
- Room. My partners watch had been knocked onto the floor during room cleaning and was placed back onto the table broken. Fortunately we could easily fix this by spending half hour or so tightening it. We didn't complain as this was obviously an accident but an apology up front from the cleaner would have been nice. We also has a flood in our room for two days which was sorted eventually but it was a slight inconvenience as we had to mop it up ourselves for the most part.
- Bellboys. Majority are great but the young guy chatting me up when he gave me a lift back to my room was inappropriate, although a compliment!
- Checkout. We paid cash for a beach massage treatment during our stay and for some reason this had also been charged to our room so we had trouble checking out and convincing guest services as our bus was waiting to leave! Took a while to sort out but thankfully out rep Lindsey really helped here so thank you. I believe the hotel are looking into this.
- Other guests. Okay I now this is not the fault of the hotel but the other Spanish guests are SO RUDE. They push in front of you all the time- whether it be through doors or at the bars and never say thank you or even acknowledge you! In fact they don't wait for anything! They shout out their order at the bars even when there is a queue and the staff still serve them. I think the hotel could acknowledge this better by serving on a first come first served basis and not which spanish guest shouts the loudest! I did witness several other British guests complain about this and even an argument so it's clearly an issue.

My tips for other guests- go to Coco Bongo, have the beef burrito at the Mexican a la carte, drink a Feeling Green cocktail, take dollars instead of Mexican pesos because everything is in dollars, buy the OFF mosquito spray before travelling, avoid the mini supermarket on site (very overpriced), don't go in the rainy season (it rained a LOT for us) and dry your clothes inside the room instead of outside because the humidity won't dry them!

Would I recommend this hotel? YES! We experienced a couple of small glitches but they does not take away form the fact that we had an amazing holiday and the hotel was very impressive so I hope my 'negatives' don't put off other guests but are instead just noted by the hotel as ways to improve.

Thank you grand palladium!!!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank macgirl262
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear macgirl262,

Thank you for taking time to share with us your comments. I would like to offer you our apologies for the incidents that you have had during your vacation. I will take note and I will check this with the rest of the team.

Please, don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything.

With best regards,

Huddersfield
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Stayed here 13-27th Aug 2013 with Husband and 6 year old daughter.
This hotel complex was wonderful, clean and the staff were more than helpful all round. From the maid to the waitress to the receptionist. The evening entertainment was second to none, with a kids show, and 2 adult shows that also catered for children too. The food was above average for an all inclusive resort and the themed restaurants were incredible. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and can not find anything to be able to write a negative about any of the holiday.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank scarlett_india
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear scarlett_india,

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate your time.

Best regards from the Riviera Maya!!

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We just returned from a 2 week holiday and had such a great time, loved it would recommend just be aware of the palladium club reps which is a holiday club which sells holiday weeks!!!!. Overall clean, friendly and the wildlife was quality, 5 star holiday

Room Tip: White sands rooms seemed to be of a better quality
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Angelo G
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Angelo1220,

Thank you so much for your good comments.

With best regards,

Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

Just come back from 10 nites at the Grand Palladium Colonial. Was what i think one of the best holidays iv had in recent years. Complex consist of 3 hotels so is rather big but little electric shuttle buses are always on hand to transport you between the three. Alacarte restaurants a must especially Ribs & More. Pool is fantastic always being cleaned and plenty of sun beds. Beach is superb. Only one dampner to my holiday,my daughter had an accident in the Chineese Al acarte resturant due to lack of communication about a table we were being seated at and she fell quite badly and badly bruised her leg and no apologies made. But other than that, highly recomended holiday destination and would definitely return :-)

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Clare M
Dear Clare M,

I would like to offer you my apologies for the incident of your daughter. I will share your comments with the food and beverage maganer.

Please, if I can help you with anything, don't hesitate to contact with me.

Resident Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
#77 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
#55 of 210 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!