“excellent holiday”

GreenLeadersSilver level
newport
“excellent holiday”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Stayed at the Colonial for 2 weeks commencing July 17th,first i have to say the resort is huge,it will take a couple of days to find your way around.My family and i stayed in villa 21 which i requested before we arrived,the villa was close to the reception,pool and beach.The food in the buffet restaurants was lovely ,plenty of choice,there were different menu,s every evening.We ate in most of the a-la-carte restaurants the food was good but the service in a few of them was very slow.The entertainment team put on a different show every night and i have to say they were very good,there was also a live band most nights in the colonial reception area ,they were very good ,and played a wide range of music.My family and i are beach lovers ,we spent all our 2 weeks on the beach.I had no problem getting a sun bed and umbrella for the first week,but the second week the hotel seemed to be a lot busier and the beach area filled up quickly.The only small problem we had in our 2 week stay was with a family of French Canadians,they seem to think they did,nt have to queue if it was busy at the buffet restaurants,and they more than once were seen taking towels off sun beds and replacing them with their own.I soon put them straight on a few basic manners as did a number of of other guests.Overall this is a fantastic hotel,and my family and I will definetly be going back.

Room Tip: villa 20 and 21 very central.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank kipperNewport
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear kipperNewport,

I would like to comment that the opinion of our guest it's very importante for us. Thank you for share with us your comments.

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,012)
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We booked this holiday as a family trip with our daughters. We had a great time together and had fabulous weather most of our stay.
The rooms were lovely, clean and spacious. The food was dreadful in fact I chose not to eat two days as I hate queuing to be fed! It is really poor for such a high rated hotel; you can't book tables in advance so queue whether having buffet or a la carte..
The staff were lovely and helpful, some great guys on the bars..
Whilst there my husband offered to buy me a ring as a gift; after much deliberation I chose a black and white diamond combination which the jeweller assured me was of the highest quality. He guaranteed its value and said if there were any problems I could contact their 'London' branch! I had the ring altered to fit and was delighted. However on return I took it to the local jewellers to get a valuation for my insurance- I was horrified to find it was worth only half what I had paid despite the jewellers guarantee.
I immediately sought to find the London branch with no success.
I have also contacted both Thompson holidays and the hotel directly and have received responses from neither. This is paramount to theft in my eyes! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!

• Stayed March 2013
5 Thank Charmers70
Dear Charmers70,

I am sorry to know that you have had a incident with the jeweller. This is aN external company but if you give me more information, I will see this with them.

dtor.colonialkantenah@palladiumhotelgroup.com
Wirral ,UK
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Arrived at grand palladium on the 4th august for 2 weeks. 12 family and friends.First impresions ,tired hotel ,No welcome drink and cold reception.Had a look around resort and had mixed feelings. Got up early next morning to find a 6 foot fence to side of main pool and the ground vibrating from jackhammers going all day.Kids club closed.
Thought, just great its like being in work as i am a builder.
They put up speakers and blasted out music to try and drown out the construction work.
We dicided to stay down the beach but you could still here construction work for the whole of our stay.
First night tried to get into a restaurant and could not get us all in . If you are a big group good luck.
They could only take four of us . I dont complain ever, but the next day i asked for us all to be moved to another hotel.
Asked why, i reeled off everthing. Thomson rep could not be anymore sympathetic as they had not been informed off the building work commencing ( Really ? )
Manager offered us another room upgrade and booking of all restaurants, but rooms were too far away from anything so we declined. We said we will just book the restaurants and he then retracted his statement and said he never offered us booking of the restaurants. Our rep said yes you did ,in front of us, and all hell broke lose.After arguing all day he tried blackmailing us to sighn an agreement we would not complain anymore and he would offer us 5 retaurants as long as all 12 had the same meal . We declined.We left it with the rep and they got us six restaurants to book with choice of meals.
I could go on and on . If you have booked for here CHANGE HOTEL. If you have not DONT...

Room Tip: rooms are tired in colonial try another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
13 Thank 977Andy0007
Dear 977Andy0007,

Thank you for share with us your opinion. I would comment that we respect your point of view but in every moment we try to find the best option for our guest.

If you decide to visit us in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Alabama
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Resort was physically very beautiful but staff was indifferent at best. We arrived at the resort around 2 pm on a Wednesday. We stood at reception for several minutes before we were acknowledged and had to request water. We were not offfered a welcome cocktail. We were directed to the lunch buffet where service appeared nonexistent. There were no clean tables and no one offered to help us despite the fact that we were carrying large purses and had obviously just arrived. The room was not ready for over an hour. The food was the worst that we have had in similarly priced all inclusives. I missed the little extras such as whipped cream onfrozen drinks. The entire resort seemed to be governed by rules rather thsn pleasing the guests. The foot bridges throughout the resort were in dire need of repair with uneven boards which made walking more difficult. Watch out fir tile floors in lobby and rstaurants. Slick as glass if your feet are wet!

• Stayed May 2013
7 Thank amlazyAlabama
Dear amlazyAlabama,

Thank you for share with us your comments and We would like to offer you our apologies for any incident that you may have had during your stay.

I will take note about your comments and I will share this with the rest of the team.

Don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you in the future.

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We have stayed at Barceló Maya Palace 4 times and the lower priced Maya Beach at least 5 times. Thought we would try something new. Big mistake. The Palladium does not deserve 5 starts. Maybe 3 . There are at least 25 reasons why I would say this, but will give you only a few. We were booked into the Colonial for 3 rooms. Had requested many times that our rooms be together. No--that didn't happen. Three different buildings. The rooms were dank, musty, old, tired and dreary. AC didn't work in one. Mold on ceiling. Really???? It made us very sad. Beds are hard and uncomfortable. Pillows are nasty. They advertise renting you a pillow for an additional $5/night. What 5 star hotel charges you for a decent pillow??

Eduardo upgraded us to the Rivera side when we threatened to take our remaining 6 nights to the Maya Palace. Rivera rooms were much nicer--but beds still hard as a rock and nasty pillows The size of this place is a definite drawback. One must walk 15 to 20 minutes to get to any food. 15-20 minutes to get to lobby to wait 15 minutes for a little train to take you to another lobby where you have your dinner plans. When you finally arrive at dinner they tell you there will be a hour and a half wait. There are only two restaurants that you can make reservations in for a specific time --and to do that you must be in line in the lobby by 7:30 AM.
without a reservation, you had better be at the restaurant by 6:45 or you will wait and wait. This doesn't work with children.

If you are traveling with children --do NOT go here. We had to carry a stroller over a large bridge with 10 steps up and down just to get to and from the pool and the restaurant. Usually had to stand and wait for a passerby to help pick it up to get it over. NOT OK. We chose Palladium because they had a kids club for age 1 and up. But, one day when we went to drop off, the place was mysteriously closed. No sign. A security guard informed us that it had moved to a new location --the teen disco. Found it, but saw that they had made no provision for anything for kids to do. No play area, few toys, a dark, disco like environment. Our 5 year old cried. We rarely used it. NOT FAIR to advertise something that you don't provide. PLUS --the kids club is at least a 20 minute walk from the Riviera rooms. When it is HOT, this is a long way.

IF you book into the katenah or the Colonial, you will be unpleasantly surprised at the pool. It is actually about 5 feet deep. The steps are not clearly marked and the last one will surprise you when you fall in. My 5 year old grandson could not stand up --and I ( 5'4" ) struggled to stand up on tippy toes. Hardly relaxing --let alone able to hold a drink or just play and chat. Who would have thought? Have never seen such a stupid thing. The Rivera pool was better. Had an area where little ones could play that was shallow to deeper. Adults could comfortably stand and relax. However --the water has a nasty chemical that turns any white on your swim suit a nasty yellow. I took my new $100 swimsuit that was ruined into the front desk manager at Riviera and she offered to launder it. I was actually surprised that it came out, but we had 6 other people in our party who all brought home dingy yellowed swim wear and it has not come out with a standard laundry. Beware!!! Also --towels always seemed to be in short supply. At 10 AM in the morning they had no towels. Like it was a surprise that people would need a beach towel for the day? By afternoon, they were all gone again.

Food at the buffet was very marginal. Have had better at college dorms. Service is spotty. Often had to go get a coffee pourer and direct them to our table. Workers work hard, but there are not enough of them. Had only one dinner at the buffer. Not a pleasant experience. Noisy, mediocre food. Who needs this? We enjoy the eating experience at Barceló soooo much more. Actually, everything is better at the Barceló. Give it some thought before you book Palladium.

Bar service was very good. Servers are polite and available.

Bellman for luggage. Friendly and helpful upon arrival. But , when you need to check out, make sure you call for them about 2 hours before you need your luggage picked up --or you will end up schlepping all of your stuff down the road, over the bridge, through the woods, etc. by yourself or you will miss your shuttle.

One day I got back to my room very hot, tired, sandy, having walked for miles around the resort that day. Had dinner reservations.qhe I needed to get ready. My key did not work. I used my daughter's phone to call front desk to ask someone to let me in. No way. They made me walk 20 minutes (over the bridge around the pool, --20 minutes--to the front lobby) to get my own key. What 5 star hotel does this to their guests? This process took me 45 minutes of my time. I was soooooo tired and this made me late for dinner and totally angry that they treat their guests so poorly. About 1 hour later someone shows up at my door with a key. Thanks.....

While many individual staff people are friendly, the "hierarchy" of responsibility makes it so that no one can actually help you. There is always someone else you would need to talk to and, of course, they are not there at the moment. The overall resort is too big to manage well and they have a lot of missing links.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are very standard. No matter what you do in advance to try to request a particula...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank travelgal5050
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear travelgal5050,

I am sorry to know that you haven't had a great experience with us. I will take note about all of your comments. We respect your point of view but please, if you decide to change your opinion and decide to visit a Palladium hotel in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us. It will be a pleasure for us help you with anything.

HAIFA
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I had very bad experience with this place i will never returen back and worn evry one who wants to stay on this resort
I fail in tha buth tub and the staf rather then help me they yelled at me I was bliding it took long time until the doctor arrived and he recommended to go to the hospital to stich the woond
Finely after convincing the staff they ask for a taxi and sent me to the hospital they never replied my letter to them and never compensetED me
I recommend not to stay there and prefere a solid place than big place that gives you nothing FOOD WAS LESS THEN AVAREGE STAY AWAY FROM THIS RESORT
DO NOT STAY IN THIS RESORT IF YOU CAN

Room Tip: do not coose any
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DALIA L
Dear DALIA L,

I would like offer you our apologies for the incident that you have had during your vacation. Please, can you send to me more information about this?

dtor.colonialkantenah@palladiumhotelgroup.com
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I say "big, huge, gigantic" disappointment because this hotel was big, huge and gigantic with thousands of people swarming and thronging the walkways, beaches, pool area, restaurants. People bumping into you; lounge chairs filled with bodies, restaurants with hour and a half waiting lines, ocean waters jammed with swimmers. Then on our first morning of our seven day vacation, after finally finding a place near the pool to leave our pool bags, jack hammers start hammering. Turns out half the pool had been shut down and cloaked with hideous green fencing to hide a monstrous construction project - building a water park. To drown out the jack hammers, the music volume was increased. The pool turned from a place to finally kick back to a place I wanted to kick someone. We boogied out of there, walked a half a mile down the beach where we finally found a lounge chair.

The staff - the most unhappy, grouchy, moody group of people ever encountered in Mexico. We visit Mexico every year for the past five years, and I have never been more disappointed with the people who surrounded us. It was shocking how miserable the staff acted. When I made it into the highlight of the Palladium Colonial - the SPA - I finally found a friendly face: Carlos! Carlos ran the fitness room, making sure everyone was safe, assisted, and enjoying themselves. I told him how grumpy the staff seemed, and he explained that the hotel was sold out, making things very stressful for everyone. Guests included!

The food: by the third day we were sick of it. There is no alfresco dining for breakfast, a big drawback for myself and our friends we travel with. Instead, we were herded into one of the ginormous buffet restaurants, where once again, people would bump into your chair; coffee was hard to come by, and the noise was ear splitting. Bad, bad BAD!

The good: two young men in our group, both 19, loved the disco, which did not start happening until 12:30 am - so stick it out if you get there too early.

The beach and ocean were completely unknown to any guest at the hotel unless you hiked "miles" from your room or from the pool to find it. There are no views from rooms as this area is primarily jungle, so foliage grows right up and past your balcony. I prefer wide open spaces, rather than enclosed jungle fauna. Just a matter of taste, perhaps.

Adult pool was nice, quiet and a true getaway. But again, you would never know you were in Mexico or anywhere near an ocean.

And that's the take away. Being at the Palladium Colonial one would never know what country you are in. There was no flavor of Mexico, and the resort was so enormous, with scads of people from all over the world, the flavor of the country was lost. We will not return to this resort.

Room Tip: As for a room as close to the beach as possible.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Shelley090
Dear Shelley090,

Thank you for your comments and for your time. I will take note and I will share your opinon with the rest of the team. The opinion of our guest it's very important because is help for improve our work every day.

Please, if we can help you with anything in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Resident Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#79 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!