“Great All-Inclusive!!!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, United States
“Great All-Inclusive!!!”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We never thought going to Mexico would be one of our desires. When we were finally pushed by relatives to go, they recommended the Grand Palladium. Turns out is was everything and then some. We went in April and had suer weather. Everything was clean ad the people were wonderful! The pools are strategically located and yet close to the beach. We'd split time between them. Couldn't ask for a better time!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank SRXer
ColonialKantenah, Manager at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear SRXer,

We would like to thank you for your nice comments about your stay in our resort and particularly about the service and the staff. For us is very important to know the opinion of our visitors to offer a better service every day.

Thanks again and we look forward to welcome you back, and if there is anything further we can do for you, please just let us know.

Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (995)
  • Polish first
Greeley, Colorado
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is a beautiful resort but horrible customer service. My son was married at this resort and it was so unorganized, my daughter-in-law had to carry her wedding dress to get steamed and then had to figure out where to pick up on the wedding day since she was not getting any return calls from the front desk. We had a guest that was going to take pictures of the wedding and arrived early to take pictures of the bride and wedding party getting dressed, the front desk would not let us pay for her day pass until 9 am and security followed her and stood near by staring at her, she was so nervous she did not want to stay. At 9 am while paying for her pass they asked for an ID to keep but she did not have one, I argued with them and it was finally agreed that I would give them mine. The wedding itself was not organized, dinner took a few hours to get served and staff were rude to our guests when there was not enough place settings set up. The next day when I went to the front desk for my ID I was told that in order to get it back I would have to pay for a nights stay for our guest, I explained that we paid for a day pass for her and she did not stay at the resort, they said she did not turn in her wrist band so we had to pay, I tried explaining that she left before being able to take pictures of the cake cutting since it was so late and she had only planned to stay until 9 pm, but the staff was rude and insisted I would not get my lD back or be able to check out without paying. I was in tears at the amount they wanted me to pay and how rude they were. My son did finally get to talk to a manager and managed to get my ID back after explaining how disappointed they were with the wedding, I met a few other guests that were there for a wedding as well and all agreed that it was a beautiful resort but horrible mess and extremely rude staff and they would not return. For as much as they charge for a wedding it should have been beautiful and stress free, they should not of had to make continuous calls that were not returned and trying to figure out what to do. We had 31 guests staying at this resort that we recommended since we had stood here 3 times before and it was such a disappointment to be treated in such a disrespectful manner. This should have been such a memorable time for them, not the nightmare that was experienced. All that is mentioned in the package is not so, a dinner on the beach for the bride and groom never happened. This wedding was definitely not worth the money, in the United States the wedding planner and affiliates would be sued for a refund for such a mess.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Marie A
ColonialKantenah, Manager at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Marie A,

I am really sorry to comprehend that your stay in the resort was a disappointed experience. About the issues that you said in your trip report, I would like to mention that it is important for us as a hotel to know how and where we fall short and what we need to do to better meet our guests’ expectations.

We are working every day in order to improve our services and we really appreciate all comments that help us to be a better hotel. In this case, unfortunately, as you were explained afterwards, some of the issues you quoted, we would liked to have had the accurate information on time in order to make the proper arrangements for your guests and avoid any inconveniences. While the staff at Palladium does their best to make sure that our guests have a great experience while with us, at times our efforts are not successful.

I hope you could give us another opportunity and come back to let us show you the Palladium hospitality. If there is anything else that we can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact us.

East Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Overall, we had a fantastic family trip. A few glitches with the room upon arrival along the way that were promptly taken care of by the staff. I can't reccomend this place enough, especially for the price. This is not a Four Seasons type place, but excellent for the money. We would return in the future.

Travelled with my wife, and 2 daughters (age 9&11). We go to the Carribean every Jan/Feb, sometimes with kids and sometimes with a group of friends.

Food is great. The buffets choices are varied and for the most part, very good. We went to a couple of the speciality resturants. Theses dont require reservations, which is nice. We never had to wait longer than 5 minutes for a table. The Brazillian steak house was fantastic. We thought the japaneese was average.

HUGE resort with lots of things to do. It helped that we were in the middle section of the resort, so the walking was not a problem. I can see where it might be if you had health issues or were on the outermost secitioins of the resort.

Pools & beach were great! Clean, white sand. We expecially liked the natural pool.

Grounds were very beautiful and very well groomed. We did not have any problem with bugs. There are a lot of animals (racoons, lemurs, lizards, etc) around the resort. Some people might enjoy this, while others may be put off by them.

The room we were first assigned was below average and rather unacceptable (Colonial). Old decor, leaky faucet, oil & uncomfortable pullout couch. We asked for a different one and they were able to accomidate us the following day. We ended up in the Kanteneah (sp?) section. No problems with this room, it exceded expectations.

Service was top notch.

Activities: We enjoyed the Segway tour of the resort. I went Scuba diving with my daughter and it was great. We also went on our own excursion to Akumal beach to snorkel with the turtles and that was great as well.

Room Tip: I would go for the middle 2 resort choices
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank MSUJason
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear MSUJason,

Thank you for taking time to share with us and other readers your opinion about your vacation at Grand Palladium.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Hey ppl just spent the first 2 weeks in June at this amazing hotel. Cannot fault this hotel in any way. Rooms are spotless maid service every day and mini bar restocked everyday also. Food excellent caters for everyone plenty to choose from in the buffet and if you don't like the thought of serving yourself there are 9 other restaurants to choose from ie:: Mexican Chinese steakhouse Brazilian etc!!!!! You want to know more about the food have a look on there site. The good thing about the hotel is you don't have to walk anywhere just pick up the phone and a bellboy will come pick you up in a golfcart and take you where you wish to go. I went on this holiday with my partner no children and was pleased to see this hotel offered adult only pools if you want a quiet pool it's great. SPA this is highlighted because words cannot explain how amazing this place is I've never seen anything like it absolutely stunning so quiet and tranquil out of this world. Staff are also very helpful and friendly they will do anything to help you. Entertainment at night is done by all the staff and honestly they put on a great show costumes and the show itself were fantastic. So people if your looking for a holiday well worth it's money this is the place to be ill definitely be booking to go back .

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Kelco2810
Dear Kelco2810,

Thank you very much for posting a comment on Tripadvisor, -and we are happy to read that you enjoyed the facilities, and services of the resort.

Kind regards,

London
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This resort is fairly large, consisting of four Resorts within its grounds. We stayed at the Palladium Colonial which is twinned with the Kantenah. Close by are the White Sands and Riviera. That said, you have access to the amenities across all of them.

I think it fair to say the Palladium was the busiest and possible the noisiest of them all, and certainly guests seem to gravitate to it esp in the evening.

Check-in could be improved on by supplying the registration forms for completion prior to going to the desk. This would make things less stressful for all concerned including the staff. But not a huge issue overall.

We were allocated a room on the top floor overlooking the jungle which fortunately had the sea breeze blowing in late afternoon. Unfortunately we can’t say it had the wow factor. This is the first time that my wife never took any photos of the room! It appeared worn, though clean, with the floor tiles cracked in places. The bathroom was small with an integrated bath / shower. Shelf space was limited but there was adequate hanging space. The safe accommodated my netbook, two cameras, two phones, assortment of passports, jewellery and money so was pleased with this. If you are a Brit then suggest you heat the water through the coffee maker to make your tea; I’m sure you can sort it. Housekeeping was sometimes lacking but nothing major, and I’ve noticed this mentioned elsewhere on Trip Advisor.

There are five buffet restaurants and eight al a carte. We managed four of the buffets and six of the al a carte. Also did the barbeque on the beach which we enjoyed. Think the best of the restaurants was the Brazilian. Visited it twice but the second week there were more guests and I thought the standard was poorer. Remember, the chefs are Mexican so when you visit the Chinese or Italian restaurants don’t expect too much. However we loved the salads; they were definitely worth it! And I have to say I found something to like (and dislike) in all of them.

We are buffet people and I think there is enough choice for everyone; plenty of tastes and textures to try. Of them all we preferred the buffet on the Kantenah side as this was quieter than the Palladium.

The staff are excellent throughout the complex!!! We cannot speak too highly of them. They work hard and are very polite.

The beach is long and sandy. We never had a problem finding sunbeds or shade. However you may be a pool person and there are two main pools and three adult only pools. The Palladium was the noisiest and busiest, possibly because it was near the dive centre and that part of the beach where the sea was easily accessible from the beach; there are rocks in places elsewhere. Once in the sea you can go a fair distance out without getting out of your depth.

As mentioned, the complex is fairly large but they do have transport to run you around in. We never used it as we preferred to walk everywhere (helped keep the pounds off!). Unfortunately we did try it the last day, only the once, and was let down. I needed to get my cases to the lobby so ordered a collection. I even carried the cases down three floors to help out but we were let down; no one showed and we had to pull them to the lobby. I was not impressed.

There is nothing outside the resort so be adventurous. It’s well situated for some trips. We took the public transport to Akumel to swim with the turtles, twice, and also to Playa. Akumel cost 40 / 50 pesos each way for us both and Playa 70 pesos. We took an excursion to Coba as we had done Chichen Itza, but think you only do this to climb the pyramid. Be warned, it’s steep, but if us oldies can do it so can you.

As there are no shops nearby the Resort allows traders to set up stalls in the evening at the Palladium for 5 pm till 10 pm. Still think a trip to Playa is worth doing for some souvenirs and the Resort shops can be just as cheap as the traders. Expect to haggle.

There are some down sides. Watch out for the marble floors as they can be very slippery when wet. I thought the service deteriorated when there were more guests around; everything got hurried. One evening when there was thunderstorm and one of the buffets was closed; everyone was directed into the Palladium, the busy one. Clearly staff could not cope and arguments erupted in the queue of guests waiting to be seated. No idea what caused the situation in the first place but looked to me like no contingency plan was in place for whatever caused the issue in the first place.

Overall, I think the Palladium is 3.5 / 4 star, not 5. We would go back but I’d be looking for a deal. It’s a nice resort well situated for some trips out, but a long way from Cancun. Take plenty of mozzie spray esp during the wet season! The site is full of, and surrounded by, vegetation / trees.

Room Tip: Top floor may give some respite from insects as they are on a par with the jungle canopy
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Whiskerss
ColonialKantenah, Manager at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Whiskerss,

Thank you for your good comments about your stay in our resort and for the nice pictures that you posted. Our goal is not only to make our guests return but to make them feel more comfortable each time and to notice the improvements in our services, we take note of your observations in order to enhance our offer.

Thanks again and please, do not hesitate to contact us for your next visit in order to grant you the best of attentions.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Hertfordshire UK...Had an amazing family holiday, myself, Husband and three 20 something's. Upgraded on arrival to Kantenah! (These things don't usually happen to us!) Beautiful rooms, just cross a footbridge to Colonial Pool, amazing Reps, so energetic, probably some of the best we have seen by far in any of Caribbean Resorts we have travelled too! Beautiful huge Pool, always plenty of sunbeds unless you are British and like to be rooted to same one or two spots around the pool!

A la cartes for us were disappointing, only because we couldn't reserve for all of them. If you have small kids and leave the pool early and want to eat early in A La Cartes to make kiddies disco it was perfect but if like us you want to enjoy the pool for a longer time then go to A La Cartes around 8pm you you more often than not have at least a 90 minute wait! The only other thing we found a little disappointing was having to wait and queue for the train/Golf Buggies to take you to other lobbies, often having to push your way through to make sure you got a seat, we do enough Queueing at home in England and obviously don't expect it on our holiday Resort, so maybe another Train or a few more Golf Buggies going around the site would help.

The Buffets were standard with plenty of choices for all!

Evening Entertainment was plentiful and something for everybody! Wether you just wanted a quite drink in the White Sands or Kantenah lobbies,(even an adult only Quite bar) or if you wanted lively shows or bands the Colonial and Riviera were the place to be!

This Resort was almost like being in Paradise and will be hard to beat, Thankq Grand Palladium of Mexico for a Truly Memorable Holiday!

• Stayed June 2013
9 Thank Hertfordsh
Dear Hertfordsh

Thank you very much for posting a positive review about your stay at Grand Palladium !

If we can help you with anything in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Kind regards,

Pontefract, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2013

The resort is far too big for it's own good. Not impressed at all and the beach was a complete let down when compared to Cuba last year, I have been to Mexico twice now I won't be returning... The room was adequate not always cleaned, had to make the beds myself more than a few times, had an early start for an excursion turned the light on the be greeted to a cockroach not what you want to see, majority of the staff were very friendly some a little pervy. In all I would recommend this resort but I would make it clear that the resort doesn't live up to the hype.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Terry H
Dear Terry H,

I would like to offer you our apologies for any incident that you have had during your vacation.

Please, if you change your opinion and you decide to visit us in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Resident Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!