“Great Value for Money”

Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 2, 2013

This hotel was nearly perfect. Nice hotel, beach, restaurants (14 of them), buffets, staff, Kids Club, night music performances, etc. The coral rief is very close to the beach so you can snorkel there will small kids, it's shallow enough they can stand, there are lots of different kinds of fish that you can feed with bananas and bread.
The Kids Club is great, good staff, kids liked it. The spa is new and beautiful and is included in the price!
The only thing I wish they could do is to serve real juices - orange juice, apple juice, etc. - instead of the chemical coloured over-sweet mixtures that they serve in place of juices. It's a shame when they make fresh fruit shakes out of papaya, bananas, pineapple etc. but then before serving them, they mix them half and half with the chemical mixtures and ruin them.
There is pellet gun shooting and archery too but they were not always available. Apparently they ran out of pellets and the bow broke. Too bad.
I wish wifi was available in the rooms. The free wifi in the lobby was often overloaded. Best time to get good wife was in the morning before everyone got up.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Martin K
ColonialKantenah, Manager at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Dear Martin K,

Thank you so much for your comments about your last stay in our resort. We really appreciate the feedback from our guests as it helps us to improve our service day after day. We take into consideration your comment about the juices with the aim to enhance our service.

Thank you again and if there is anything further we can do, please just let us know.

Best regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (5,465)

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Customer service is actually very wonderful. A major high bonus on my list when visiting a resort.
WS/R – White Sand / Riviera
Col/Kan – Colonial / Kantaneh
Royal - not included as it's off limits to above mentioned.

I stayed in the Colonial side, bldg 9, room 1910. It’s a 2nd floor. Actually closer to the WS/R pool.
You can not cut thru these buildings. One side is bldg 8 and the other is 21. For my room I had to enter the foyer on the bldg 8 side. I could get to my room from the bldg 21 side. (you might have to look at the map to understand what I’m trying to explain). I think it is different for the WS bldgs (which I would pass up to get to that pool or someplace on the beach). The Kantaneh is supposed to have been the latest refurb, but I’m still so glad I got the bldg on the Col side – very centrally located.
I was upgraded to a Jr suite. Nice.
King bed, Jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. Handheld shower head. Small sleeper sofa which has seen better days.
Scale in the room. Touch code safe.
Nice bath towels. I thought these were pretty good and a large size. (Have had worse - noteably at the golden Parnassus-blah).
Wash cloths and bath mat daily. Along with shampoo, body wash and lotion – I didn’t use any of these items (brought my own).

Beach is lovely - lovely - lovely
Plenty of loungers.
Plenty of shade – palapas and palms. Very nice!
Some people told me they couldn’t find a place to lounge.. I was like ?-? what? You’re kidding me-?- There was actually plenty of groups of loungers available – maybe I just walked too much. Sat at too many locations.

Pools of plenty
The pools are large enough for rafts (except for the adult pools). Actually, when I was there I don’t think the people would have minded a raft in the pool. As long as you’re out of the way when people want to do some swimming (referring to the adult pool at the WS/R side, the other one is just too small except to get wet).

Largest pool at the Col/Kan. This one is deep in a few locations and I’m close to 6’ – so I loved it.
Next at the White sand/Riv - both have a kiddie pool.
Adult pool at the WS/R is larger than the Col pool. Both of these pools also have a bar. Very easy to also get towels. Excellent areas. They are also cushioned loungers.
I liked my evening shortcut back thru the adult pool at the Col. That bar stayed opened til ?midnight?, I think. After dinner or the evening stroll allllll around I’d stop here. Have a cocktail and shot. Sometimes myself and the barkeep. Or with the barkeep and other guests. It was very nice.
Saltwater Pool ~ I loved it!
Do not jump in to this pool. It’s not deep at all. Excellent area for relaxing, swimming, hearing the surf, getting a cocktail. Loungers and palapas. There are ladders on the side.
There are fish in this pool. It’s so cool! I want this place in my back yard ~~~ ooooohhh.

The spa ~
Oh the Spa ~ how so lovely.
The water areas are opened for all guests. No locker available except if you’re having a treatment – massage etc. If you want to sun and lounge here, there are not many loungers. There are chairs available also.
This area is so serene. Loved it.

Bars
So very many
3 beach bars.?. one at the Kan end which is also where the royal guests have a location. Mind you ~ if I was a royal guest I would really prefer to be nearer to the beach. Their area is set back quite a ways. It’s marked for Royal guests. Bali beds and loungers, but I just don’t get it because you can’t see the ocean from there.?. Go figure.
Then the Col area which is the “beach bar”. 24 hr and food service. Punta Amelia 24 hr and food.
By 24 hr that is also coffee ~~ the hard alcohol is cut off at some time and then it’s strictly beer.
I found this out ~ hahaha ~
I left the Col bar to head to PA ~~ tripped over the water sport stuff and scraped a knee, foot, shin and toes. Went to just find some alcohol to wash it with at PA. Well ~ it’s all locked up.
They called security ~ nicely ~ and then he so kindly (not) “rubbed” it with isopropyl alcohol.
That was just fine ~ yet it hurt like a booger, but I was just silly. I’m still laughing over that happening 2 weeks later.
There’s also the disco that is opened 11-2 (I’m pretty certain). Take the train or the carts are driving all around.

Short cuts
Look at the map. It’s great.
There’s the larger walkways where the carts have access then there’s also the covered walkways for only walking.
There are shortcuts between the pool areas. Then also between the buffet and lobbies.
The trains are great. Then don’t forget the carts that go between the resort area. If you ask, they may take you to your location even if you’re not at the same one (at WS and want to go to Kan). They will do it if you ask nicely.

Food ~ Is a very subjective topic
Buffets ~ They can get monkey crazy at prime times. The employees work their butts off. So at times it may be difficult or just a wait to get your beverage.
Then there’s some guests that are just plain rude – spilling and knocking stuff over upon departure and not even make an attempt to clean their own mess. Just walk away. (I happened to hear some of this and saw another guest go and start cleaning up. Then it all made sense when I saw the other people laughing on their way out).
Went to both sides indoors. Thought they were both on par.
Pasta, seafood, veges, soup, breads, fruits, juices, etc etc etc etc. I was so pleased!! They had passion fruit a few times. I love that fruit - it’s kind of gross looking, but I love it and it tastes great. I can’t get it at home so I really look forward to having it down south – big bonus for me.
Outdoor ~ think I only went to the Col side.?.
Again, same as the indoor yet a few less options. Enjoyed them.
Loved having the grouper cooked ` how I miss it!! Actually I had eggs cooked a few times along with a croissant for breakfast. Otherwise just walked for the coffee and croissant.
The bar at the Col/Kan outdoor buffet has ice cream. It’s only on the one side. Look for a little placard sign. You can get it in a cup or in a cone.
The dinner buffet has a crepe station at dinner time. If I was in the mood for a desert, I would go there just for a crepe – made me a banana split style crepe.

Japanese
I really liked the Japanese – excellent service. Nothing really fancy or thrilling. Nice looking place. There’s also a couple of outdoor tables that are kind of secluded. It looks very nice. (I’m pretty certain there was another ala carte that had that nice little intimate outdoor setup).
I did not do the cooking table. Been there, done that, it’s typical. Beef, chicken, shrimp – blah blah blah, but fun and entertaining.
The sushi is not typical -don’t be scared to try it because it is nothing raw of any fish at all. The usual California types, vege, precooked shrimp etc. no raw fish. Soup sucked (jmo).
Actually, I think I saw one sashimi, but I wasn’t going to go there.
The wasabi could be drank by the cup and no burn/hot at all. Yet ~ I really liked it. Better yet ~ I loved the Sieshan shrimp entrée!! They were prawns grilled and so wonderful. So very little veges which is great by me. Served atop rice.
The tempura banana desert is the best – this is something that I just really love! There is the tempura fried banana (which I do not think was made right then) and ice cream with the hard chocolate shell. That is one of my favorite deserts. I think that’s why I went back a second time.

Rodizio
Brazilian just disappointed me due to the lack of service.
I am a carnivore and would have liked to have tried more.

LaAdelta (MX) – great service
Had some kind of steak fajita that was recommended. I did not care for this one bit. Bad meat is all I can say. Also had a couple al pastor tacos which were just so-so. Nothing to brag about.

Ribs & More
Ribeye ~ blah!! Was not a ribeye. I was not going back because nothing else fancied my palate.
This place I didn’t care for. The ribs were boasted about on the menu, but no thanks.
The apps – onion loaf – you better like onions because this was just a bunch on onions with a smidgen of breading. I loved it. Fish stix ~ ick. That’s all I can say for them.
Service was good here.

ElDorado
Steak house ~ great service
I was actually pleasantly surprised by this one.
Ordered the ribeye. Got a ribeye. Not like at home, but it was still a steak. It was a nice surprise. I would have definitely visited this ala carte a few more times if I were staying longer.
This menu is kind of funny. The sides and/or sauces are on the bottom. So I thought – I don’t know what I thought.
The sides “are” the bottom left of the sauces for your steak. potato, various veges, etc, etc. even though your steak comes with icky broccoli (vege-broccoli-nasty) and potato. Then choose a sauce or plenty for your meat. Decent choices I thought.

Mediterranean
Didn’t try this one. The menu just didn’t appeal to my tastes. I would have tried if I were there longer. The place looked very nice.
Evening outdoor seafood – I had reservations, but then I cancelled. I did this because my reservation was on the 13th – day before Vday and just thought there might be a “couple” that would like to dine here.

Didn’t visit the sport area yet passed it several times on the train. Sometimes people were playing soccer or volley ball or tennis. Looked fun.
You can get to any place that you’d like within the resort via the train.
Also, during the day there’s the pontoon boat. It’s on the WS/R side. There’s a few places that it will stop. Something else fun to do if you’re looking to get away for a few ~ it’s all fun.
There’s also an eco tour, kitchen tour and other stuff. This is posted on the boards located at various locations – lobbies, activity booth (I think).
I was just so walking around and enjoying myself.

Don’t feed the animals. Saw a man get his hand nipped by one of them (raccoon), probably cause he did not have food or it was just pissed. There was some other people feeding them.

The burgers just suck. Better off eating sand or a lounge chair. They are just something bad  and I can eat mud if I had to.

There are food boxes for the fish. This is for the fish outside of the buffets and the lagoon thing. They have times posted when they put the food in them.
There are the crocodiles at both sides. In their pens of course. The flamingos were very pretty. I only saw them at the Col/Kan side.

Called to get my bags to get picked up. As I was told the evening prior it shouldn’t take more than 6 minutes. Well ~ what a pleasant surprise that was pretty much spot on. Yet I called at 7:00 a.m. I also saw plenty of people lugging their own luggage out of their rooms. It’s just easier to have a more experienced person handle this task – after all my week long walking. Plus I wanted to get in my last walks.

The Chapel is SO adorable. I even sat in there for a moment, just because I could. There was a Sunday service, but I missed it. Kind of just wanted to go – just because.
I’m pretty certain that it was agave plants outside of the chapel. It looked so cool.
Also think that’s where part of the eco tour may take place. If you walk around from the sports bar/chapel area there’s a path into the wooded area. There is a path. I walked thru there. Kind of creeped me a little bit walking thru there. It was daylight. Ok, I’m not very out-doorsy anymore. I still enjoyed it.

Did I mention the walking?
Well I only walked so much because I was not limited to where I could walk. No restrictions like some other resorts that have the tier system. Like the Ibero Paraiso complex – The Del Mar/Beach isn’t allowed at Lindo/Maya and none are allowed at the Grand. Mind you, when I visited that Ibero it didn’t bother me at all. So just mentioning that I walked and visited all the places at the GP it was simply because I was allowed.
I saw plenty of strollers. Brilliant to bring it along. They can also be put at the end of the train with no problem. The drivers will wait. Seen that plenty of times.
The trains and carts also have a plastic siding that rolls down if it’s raining.

I had a great time.
Yes ~ I’m pretty certain that I would return.
I know there’s more that I could say, but I haven’t been writing anything down. The bath towels alone were a nice touch. Imagine all the towels this place must go through with all the people. They are pretty decent towels, mind you, not like you have at home, but nice – they are actually larger than my bath towels that I have at home. Well~ I didn’t care for the linens on the bed ~ that’s just me. I’m just loving my linens these days ~ that’s just me.
It’s been two weeks and I have been remembering bits and pieces ~ a lot that makes me smile and some that just make me laugh. I got some great pix and wonderful memories!
Of course I’m anticipating my next vacation/holiday! (I’m also procrastinating doing my taxes right now)
Happy Travels all
Thank you All TA’s for all your helpful insight

Room Tip: If staying at Colonial ~ bldg 9 is a great location. Very central.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
11  Thank Zeeka
ColonialKantenah, Manager at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear Zeeka,

First and foremost, thank you very much for your excellent comments and for such a detailed explanation about your last holidays with us, and for the tips you gave to other travelers. It is a real pleasure to realize that our effort is rewarded creating nice experiences to our guests, and I will transmit your greetings to our staff.

Thank you again and we look forward for your next visit, and please, do not hesitate to contact us for any request or further comment.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Just got back from this hotel.The 10 days we spent here was good, only one minor moan which ill put at the end. Rooms were nice , clean, view not to much but your surrounded by trees. pool areas were nice no problem with sunbeds, beach was fab just want you expect in mexico, food was brilliant if you complain you cant find anything to eat you must be an alien or really really awkward to please , The staff were all great no moans there, Cocktails were good just ask barstaff they knock you up anything, All al a carte were part of the ai deal and you can go as many times as you like, we only done the chinese, it was ok looked better than it tasted, Entertainment was good, live bands after the usual mimming act. the rock night was really good . also had live band one day by the beach another day by the pool, I would go back here and i dont normaly do the same hotel again . Ok now for my complaint, only a small one but the tea and coffee at breakfast ,dinner and evenings was never hot , only ever warm, i guess its hard to get hot but even if your sitting by the dispenser its still only warm , even the coffee machine only dished out warm tea and coffee. so thats it , e mail me if you want more info im happy to oblige, Oh yea thanks to management for my basket of fruit for my my wedding but your 36 years to late, i did tell reception and was told to enjoy it anyway lol

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank lloydycj

Dear lloydycj,

Thank you for your kind words and feedback, very much appreciated. I will pass to our staff your comments about the food and the service. These comments help and give motivation to the personal and so improve our service day to day. Our commitment is to provide the best service and attention at all times to our guests, therefore I take note about the observation of the temperature of the coffe and tea in order to improve that service.

Thanks again and if you decide to visit us again and for any further comments please, do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Just got back from a 10 day break at the Grand Palladium, our first trip to Mexico.
We have been to the Dominican before but not Mexico.
We enjoyed every minute of our 10 day holiday and our 23 hour delay just meant an extra day in this wonderful place.
The whole resort was full (approx 3000 people) but it is so vast it didn't seem like there were that many people on site. It is a big site with 8 speciality restaurants, 4 Buffet restaurants, beach BBQ and Beach Fish Restaurant. We ate in all 8 restaurants and they were all very good. I would highly recommend the Japanese with the show cooking, Chinese, Ribs and More and Rodizio.
The quality of the food was excellent throughout, including the Buffets. I simply cannot believe a previous review saying they had to go off site for food! No more to be said.

Getting around on foot is easy and we welcomed the walk. If you are not able to walk 10-15 Mins between the 4 Hotels then there is always the little train and trolleys.

There is something for everyone, we had our 14 year old son who found plenty to do. Daytime entertainment around the main pool was fun.
There were adult only pools and one of the Speciality Restaurants was adult only each night on a rota system if you want to be away from the kids.

The standard room with 2 double beds was very clean with a nice balcony.

There is plenty of wildlife on site and a lizard walking past your sun-bed is a common occurrence.

I tend to look at the British reviews on this site as in the past I have found that American and Canadian reviewers are harsher because they expect higher standards than us Brits who are used to holidaying in Europe. It was evident that there were lots of Holiday makers from the USA and Canada who go back to this resort year on year which says it all really.

All in all, a true ALL inclusive that I would recommend whole heartedly.

Room Tip: If you are fit and healthy don't worry where your room is. If you are not you will probably be b...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank EricWirral
ColonialKantenah, Manager at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

Dear EricWirral,

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your opinion about your last holidays here in the Grand Palladium. All comments, are very important for improving our service every day, and we really appreciate the feedback about our staff, due the very effort they always do to make our guests feel like at their home away from home.

Thank you again and please, don't hesitate to contact with us if you decide to come back or for any further comment.

Best regards,

Reviewed February 28, 2013

When they say you are family they mean it! We really did feel like we were family. All of the staff were very helpful and did everything they could to make our stay the best possible experience. The rooms were clean and well appointed. All of the public areas we clean and well maintained.

There was one issue with the Whirlpool bath that was corrected immediately upon notification. You can't ask for more than that. I add this to the list of pluses and credits for this resort. If the maintenance staff are not aware of the issue how can they fix it?

This is a huge property and takes a bit of time to explore, that being said there were trains available every 10 minutes or so to move you around the resort.

With all of the dinning experiences, refreshment stations and activity centers the one thing that really stands out is the super friendly staff! In my opinion it is the people that make the resort. They are the ones that will help give you the memories and the desire to return. I know that the service industry can be pretty demanding at times but the people at the Grand palladium always had a smile on their faces and a very inviting demeanor. I always felt like I was talking to a friend.

If you get a chance to use the spa do it! I have never had a massage like the one I received there. The whole environment is spacious and very well laid out. The staff (like everywhere else) were awesome. First rate!

All in all my stay was Awesome!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Pat C,

First and foremost, thank you for your nice comments about your holidays in our resort and in particular about our staff and service. As you said, the staff is our best asset and we are really happy to realize that you enjoyed your stay as this is the aim of our team, to offer memorable vacations to our visitors.

Thank you again and, please, don't hesitate to contact with us if you decide to visit us again or for any further comment.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was my boyfriend's and my first time at an all-inclusive resort, so we didn't know what to expect other than what we read on the reviews. We just wanted somewhere to relax a bit, eat good food, and maybe do some scuba diving or fishing. The resort itself was pretty well kept and attractive, with lots of wildlife and greenery surrounding the grounds. The rooms were clean and room service was great. When we had a problem with our shower drain being clogged, a person was sent to fix it relatively quickly. The idea of having multiple resorts to enjoy was very appealing until we actually got there. There wasn't really much that the other resorts had that the Grand Palladium didn't already provide. There were some different restaurants at the sister resorts, but that gets me to one of my major points about this resort. I am a pretty picky person when it comes to food, so when I didn't enjoy a single restaurant (including the god-awful buffet), I wasn't all that surprised and assumed it was just because I am particular about my food. When my boyfriend (who eats pretty much anything) said that the food was terrible, I knew that the food was genuinely bad. I literally lost 5% of my body weight while I was here (10 days) because the food was THAT terrible. I mean, inedible. Even the bread was awful. How do you get bread wrong?? The worst part was that the resort is pretty secluded, so you can't exactly walk to a nearby restaurant for food. We took a collectivo (kind of like a taxi-van, but way cheaper) into town a few times to pick up food at the local grocery store. The lesser of many evils were the Brazilian steak-house (at the sister resort), and the Mexican restaurant (which was pretty Tex-Mex, but the flan was pretty good). This was so disappointing as obviously we had paid for all of our food and drinks already. Having said that, the staff was all very delightful and at one point, one of them even indulged my request to pick a coconut off of a nearby tree and mix me a coconut cocktail inside of it! Other than the great staff, the only other savior for this place was that the dive center was outstanding! Mayra, Cece, and Oliver were incredible, and really saved this vacation for us! We ended up spending almost every single day diving, which was SO worth it. We did an advanced course and added extra dives after that. The Cenotes were beautiful and words can't describe how breath-taking they were in person. Highly recommend this dive center!!!! They were kind, personable, and very knowledgeable. They were able to provide recommendations and advice when I had concerns or questions about dive equipment and technique. I really can't say enough about their incredible service.

My boyfriend and I desperately wanted to like this resort, but we both have this rule where we don't want to starve on vacay, so we will not be returning. I do recommend staying at a nearby resort and using the dive center though!

Room Tip: Many people complain about the 'long' walk to the pool, restaurants, beach, from the rooms...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank H H

Dear H H,

First and foremost, thank you so much for your comments about your last stay in our resort. We really appreciate the feedback from our guests as it helps us to improve our service day after day.

Concerning the perception about the food, I just would like to explain that our aim is to fulfill the expectations of a large diversity of customers, as a result we try to have a wide gastronomic offer for all experiences, including 9 a la carte restaurants with Mediterranean, Oriental, Mexican, Tex Mex, Italian, Japanese, Brazilian cuisine, with vegetarian, celiac and kids special menus, apart from our themed buffet. Nonetheless we are always focusing our effort to enhance and augment our offer, and comments from our customers are the motivation to achieve our goal.

Thanks again and please do not hesitate contact us for any further comment or if you decide to visit us in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Returned from 2 weeks stay 25th February. Check in was efficient. Eduardo was friendly & took the time to explain everything.
We stayed in Villa 19, & were very pleasantly surprised by an upgrade to a Jr suite. This villa was located in an ideal location central to everything. The room was spacious, very clean, towels changed when requested. Fridge replenished daily, everything done with a friendly smile..
Beach was lovely but got very busy after 10am. It was worth getting to the beach early to watch the pelicans have their breakfast! When other guests fed the birds the birds swooped down for the food, which wasn't ideal. The same happened when people fed the fish.
The main pool was busy & noisy. This was where the entertainment team were based. As this isn't our thing we went to the adult pool. This was quiet but busy. it became louder as the day progressed.
The buffets were good. Lots of choice, both breakfast & lunch. We found eating breakfast early & lunch late (1.30) we did not have to queue. We had buffet twice in the evening. These were also very good.
We ate at Mare Nostrum, Brazilian, Ribs & More & Italian. We tried to eat at the Steak House. We arrived at 6.20 & were told to come back at 8.30 which we did. We were then told it was another 20 minutes, at which point we gave up. Another couple were told the same thing. Yet another were given a buzzer at 6.10 & also didn't get in. This was unacceptable. The greeter was too harassed. He didn't seem to have control of the situation. The Italian was the worst restaurant we tried. The greeter grunted when we requested a table, the waitress was happy to ignore certain guests. The service was bad. We left after the main course. This was the only restaurant I felt concentrated on the people they thought would tip most. The other 3 were fantastic. All the food in these was very good, service was excellent & all with a smile! We tended to go to the a la cartes at 6.45. The most we waited was 45 minutes, mainly just walked straight in.
The Colonial bar got very busy after the show. Other guests would try to muscle in at your table & would start smoking. This was a major problem for me as I am asthmatic. We wanted to watch the live bands but in the end decided it wasn't worth it. The bar at the Kantenah was a lot quieter. Even if there were smokers there was enough space. Tables were further apart here, so felt more relaxed. Hemmingways being a non smoking bar was we ended the evening.
Jason, the First Choice rep was excellent, especially as there was a problem & it was solved immediately.
The wildlife was incredible.
We were only approached by timeshare once when It rained. She was very polite, not at all pushy when we politely declined.
We cannot comment on the tour operator transport as we arranged private transfers with AGI which were excellent.
All in all it was a lovely holiday. We will come back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank catnip3

Dear catnip 3,

Thank you for your kind words about our resort and staff, very much appreciated. We continuously work to make every guest’s holiday a great experience, and it is very important for us to realize that our effort is successful.

We look forward to welcome you back and please, let us know it in advance in order to make the proper arrangements to take care about your stay.

Kindest regards,