“Beautiful resort”

Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Since I travel every winter south, I would like to mention that I like to change hotels and try different places. I reserved in july for my parents 50th anniversary for a group of 8 adults at the colonial. They overbooked and put 4 of us at the colonial and the other 4 at a km away at the kantenah....well, I can understand that all our demands can not be garanteed, like for instance when we ask for the top floor, or requesting a king size bed, or asking to all be in the same villa....but changing sections all together? We paid for the colonial section. All sections in this huge hotel are not the same, and differ in price when you reserve. They should not take your reservation, and do what they want with it. They told me the colonial area was full, no more rooms available. I was quite upset after traveling all day, and finding out what they did. Finaly, all of a sudden, after a phone call, voilà! 2 rooms became available all of a sudden. Obviously, someone else got thrown out of their preference. Anyways, all I want to say is do not expect to get what you asked for. They feel free to send you anywhere. This is pretty much the only negative thing I noticed. They upgraded my parents for their anniversary, and put them in the mayan suite...wow! Beautiful suite!
We had a junior suite, and my sisters a standard room, and we have no complaints. The beds were ok and the pillows were ok also...did they change the pillows because of all the people complaining? Who knows. The surrowndings were exceptionnal. You feel like you are in the jungle, surrounded by lots of wildlife. Just beautiful.
The beach was very nice althought getting into the water was somewhat of a chalenge. There was about 4 feet of pointy rocks before getting to the nice soft sand. The water was clear and very warm and pellicans diving 10 feet from you made it quite intertaining! The guys went snorkling and saw lots of fish too. The salt water pool was nice and quiet....lots of fish in there also!
The main pool was overcrowded by children. I guess thats what you get for traveling aroung the hollidays. Getting a spot was very difficult if you didn't put your towel before breakfast. Same problem at the beach. I hate hotels that don't have enough chairs. If you go in the low season, I guess it's okay. The adult pool was really nice if you wanted to rest or read, and the chairs had cushions,so more comfortable than the beach chairs.
For the food, well breakfast was excellent with lots of things to choose from. Lunch was so so. Always the same thing. Not really impressed. We ate 5 times at the a la carte restaurants. If you wanted to eat at 17h30, no problem. But after 18h00, forget it. Many tables were empty, but they tell you to wait more than an hour. Why? You had to reserve for the seafood restaurant and the japaneese the day before at the lobby. We stood in line 5 days, each time they tell us it is full. My sister was in line at 6h40 in the morning, with 5 people ahead of her, and still, there is no room...doesn't make sense. Something has to change about that...are we supposed to bring a sleeping bag and camp out in the lobby? When you check out the japaneese restaurant, the tables are half empty. I think the cook that does the show in front of you is the only one that works in that restaurant. He goes from table to table doing his thing...no wonder they can't fill up the restaurant. Some a la carte restaurants were excellent, and some were just so so...taste in food is personnal, I don't thing people can criticise, really.
For the shows at night, well I didn't make it that late...my husband saw one, and enjoyed! The lobby bars were nice, so was the ambiance. Liked the free WiFi, even if it was a litttle slow. Very practical when you leave your kids at home for a week! Loved the Hemmingway and Churchill bars at the Kantenah! And no kids around! Yeah! Excellent drinks!
Our group did a few excursions. Rio secreto was enjoyed, Xel-ha, and golf at the grand bahia principe. It!s a new gold course about 10 minutes away, and very challenging. The price was better than all the other places. They booked with the hotel, and was a lot cheaper than with Transat.
Well, that's about all I can say about our say at this hotel. Would come back anytime! Just don't expect to get what you asked for. For them, colonial, kantenah, white sands are all the same. And this place is huge, and I'm not kidding. They will separate your group just to satisfie other people. Also, when checking out at 5AM, they turn all the lights out...all the lights outside of your villa, and the walkways. You come outside to complete darkness with your luggage. If there are stars in the sky to light your way, lucky you! A little stressful considering you are in the jungle surrounded my animals moving around in the woods. We stood in the dark 20 minutes waiting for the bellboys and they never came. So we walked, not quite sure where we were going....need to change this...hire some more bellboys and buggies to come and pick us up or turn on the lights for crying out loud! All in all, I do recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: You can state your preference, but you get what they decided to give you...
2  Thank mich64
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear mich64,

I would like to give you thank you for share with us your comments. The opinion of our guest it's very important.

All the requests are subject to the availability of the resort. We always try to find the best option.

I will take note about all the observations and I will share this with the rest of the team.

Please, if we can help you in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

There are newer reviews for Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa

Reviewed January 17, 2013

We are fortunate and have traveled Mexico many many times. The Grand Palladium is our favorite place. It has everything we want to experience in Mexico. The staff are amazing and so kind. The rooms are clean and quiet. The food is really good especially because I do not have to cook. We are happy. We love to scuba dive. The staff at Scuba Caribe are outstanding. Rudy and crew make sure you are having a wonderful dive experience. They assist the inexperienced divers and allow the experienced ones to have a great dive. You divers know what I mean. This place is a treasure. Don't miss it!

7  Thank Robynn M
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Dear Robynn M,

Thank you so much for your excellent comments.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Spent a week with family at this SUPER HUGE resort. Overall the experience was excellent. Resort caters to all ages and types (families, groups, couples). Property is 5 Grand Palladium resorts in 1, and you can use the facilities (restaurants, bars, pools) at all for the most part. They have a shuttle that will take you from one resort to the other. We stayed at the Grand Palladium Colonial. We asked one of the staff members what the difference was between our resort and the others. She said that the Grand Palladium White Sands and Riviera are only 5 years old so the rooms are more modern, but otherwise the service and main areas are the same. If I were to return, I might stay at one of these 2 instead, as the rooms at the Colonial were ok, but outdated, a touch musty smelling and done up on the cheap. They were satisfactory, don't get me wrong, but I would not consider them to be 5 star. Lots to choose from food wise. Brazilian restaurant was by far the best. Also enjoyed the Japanese and Mexican. They have a fantastic seafood restaurant on the beach at White Sands (Punta Emelia). The concept is great and very romantic...however, racoons come off the beach and scavenge for your food. There were multiple racoons crawling around and under our table the WHOLE time. In fact, if you skidish about animals roaming around, this may not be the resort for you. They are everywhere!! It is not uncommon to see an iguana on the pool deck, lemers on the path to your room, etc. Resort staff was super friendly and efficient. Pool area was fantastic and well maintained. Only strange thing about the pool is there are shallow pools (1 foot deep) for kids, or pools that are 5 foot 3 deep, and therefore most woman/kids can not touch the bottom!! Beachfront is gorgeous. White sand and clear blue water to die for. Spoke to a few couples who were married while we were there. They said their wedding experience was super. Hope this is helpful!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Travelbug155004

Dear Travelbug155004,

We appreciate your time and your comments. We are continually working in improve our work and facilities.

Don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

This was our second visit to Mexico. The best way to sum this hotel up is to compare against our previous experience at the azul sensatori just 20 minutes up the road. We paid literally half the price this time around and perhaps due to this we had low expectations. Blimey were we wrong. This place was absolutely spotless, from our room to the restaurants to the lobbies and even the swimming pools. The food was way above average and in two weeks I can honestly say we only had one bad meal which was dealt with brilliantly. The bars were great (especially hemingways for couples) and the staff were polite and hard working. I even had to make use of the doctors surgery due to a couple of nasty mosquito bites, I was seen within minutes and the shot she gave me worked a treat within the hour. I have only one negative comment to make and had we not been so thick skinned this could have been a real downer - time share-. I understand that businesses need to make money but sitting down for a polite hard sell following a 10.5 hour plane journey did little to impress me. I would struggle to believe that anybody would see this as a positive, certainly nobody that we spoke with during our stay was impressed. Don't let this put you off, I'm sure this hotel group are not the only ones to employ these methods but don't be afraid to say no if you don't want the hassle.

Room Tip: Colonial is probably most convenient of all the hotels
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Craig H

Dear Craig H,

Thank you for your time and your comments.

Best regards,

Reviewed January 16, 2013

We just came back from a vacation at Grand Palladium Colonial from January 8th to 15th. We were 3 couples and 1 couple was experiencing their first all inclusive holiday. I will do my best to give the pros and the cons of this resort. First of all this resort is very large, it took us 2 days to get oriented.There is a lot of walking involved.The beach is beautiful at first glance , but be careful, there are many rocks to be stepped on. One person from our group did sprain his ankle when going in the water. There were signs to warn people but not everywhere, and not very large.. No service at all on the beach. The pools are kept very clean, but the service is inconsistent. They do a great job at keeping the grounds clean, which is a good first impression, but behind the scenes the quality does diminish. The room service can be very slow, and a lot of corners are cut. I am sure that the floor in our room was not cleaned during our week there. We found the beds very comfortable, and pillows to our satisfaction.
The buffet was mediocre at best with very little variety, and poorly laid out. I would have expected to see more Mexican food. The few things that they did put out one day were just awful. Taco Bell is gourmet compared to what was put on the buffet.
The "a la carte" restaurants were better, but extremely slow. We would show up, with reservations, and still had to wait. One night we did not reserve and waited until 9:45 pm before a table was given. The Mexican restaurant was very good, much better than what was on the buffet.The steak house, and Italian restaurants were also very good. The Chinese restaurant was quite an experience: They were serving Sushi, and the menu was Japanese. We didn't get a chance to try the Japanese restaurant but we were told that some tables were set up to have their food cooked on the spot.
We spent a lot of time at the adult pool. Carlos does a excellent job at mixing drinks, and giving beer, but you have to go to him. One day they ran out of tomato juice, it took 6 calls and a lot of time to have it brought to the bar. The next day they ran out of beer, we ended up going to another pool.
In summary this is a nice resort, but it's to big and understaffed. We still managed to have a great time and enjoy some very nice weather.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank Delmar47

Dear Delmar47,

Thank you for your comments and I would like to give you our apologies for the incidents that you may have had during your vacation with us.

We respect your point of view but we always try to do our best to satisfy our guests and make their vacation enjoyable and, the feedback we receive from most of our clients proves this.

If we can help you in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Best regards,

Reviewed January 16, 2013

This was our first stay at the Grand Palladium. The hotel itself is beautiful. And MASSIVE. I loved the grounds and the pools. You could always find a new place to go and take a different route through the jungle. Everything was within walking distance, but there was still a tram available for those who don't enjoy walking. Lots of kids, but that was expected. We also really enjoyed the immersion in local wildlife. Animals were found all over the pathways and they were always fun to see. The hotel lobbies were also beautiful. They had waterways surrounding restaurants and the lobby bars were great. The shows were repetitive but interesting as well. The Disco was less useful but the sports bar was GREAT. Especially during the start of NFL playoffs. They always had the game on for people who were interested. While on sports, the sports facilities here were also totally unexpected. Full soccer fields, tennis, badminton, volleyball, archery and mini golf were all available and a great way to spend some free afternoon hours before dinner. The Spa was also great. The services were fantastic and the free access to the 'wet zone' was perfect. I also note their gym facilities were great despite me preferring to spend gym time as 'bar time'.

They also had great access to day trips from the lobby. Everything was really easy to do.

The Downside:

The service here was half assed. Everyone who worked at the hotel (with the exception of the Spa personnel) was lazy and did not seem to enjoy their work. They were miserable looking and service was slow. Whether front desk, restaurant or bar. It was unfortunate because the hotel was otherwise so fantastic. The food was also average. Everything was overcooked. The a la carte restaurants always had a long wait, and then the food was average. The Sushi restaurant was great, but it was the exception. The buffets were decent, except the outdoor one and the snack bar. I don't know how they messed up hot dogs, but they did.

So, while my standards of food may be high, i would not recommend this hotel if you had any expectations of great food in mexico. However, despite food and service of food, I loved the colonial. I would definitely recommend it for familes and groups.

Safe travels!

Room Tip: You can request rooms, but they won't give you what you selected if they are even remotely busy.
2  Thank jklitt

Dear jklitt,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments. I will check this information with the rest of the team. All feedback are very important for us.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

We were there for the new year and had 2 fantastic weeks at this resort .The food was very good considering they were catering for lots of different nationalities.We tried most of the ala cartes where the food was outstanding and no major issues about getting in . Go early and you will get straight in .Go later get a pager and go for a drink until it flashes to let you know your table is ready .The resort is spotlessly clean and all the staff went out of their way to ensure your stay was as good as it could be. They really do work hard .
The jungle canopy can cause you to lose your way occasionally but if you use the map provided then nowhere is further than a 10 minute walk and most places can be reached in 5 minutes.There are also large map boards all over the resort .The golf buggies and train make getting around easy if you do not fancy walking.
The spa should not be missed as it is a beautifully peacefull area with hot and cold tubs /lazy river/pool/sauna and steamrooms all free.
The one issue we did not like were the many guests who appear to have no manners . A simple please and thank you goes a long way but some of the more mature guests appear to have no concept of this.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank CorkytheCat

Dear CorkytheCat,

I am glad to know that you have had a great vacation with us. Thank you.

Cordially,

Resident Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
#29 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!