“Bring your walking shoes!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
alberta
“Bring your walking shoes!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed at this resort from December 23-30 2012. I traveled with my 13 year old son, my husband and my 60 year old parents. This was my 8th trip to the Mayan Riviera and my first to this resort. I am writing this review to answer the questions that I had and did not get the answers to from others' reviews.
location: There are 4 parts to this resort, the Kantenah (pronounced cantina), Colonial, White Sands and Riviera. The Colonial in my opinion had the best location as this is a very large spread out resort. If anyone in your group has mobility issues or bad feet this is not the place for you--I have never walked so much at a resort in my life!!!! I find the weather south of playa del carmen to be hotter than north and this was indeed the case this trip, we had fantastic weather :)
food: The Colonial/Kantennah share one building and have 3 buffets, the Japanese, Mediterranian, Steakhouse and Mexican a la cartes. The buffets share a kitchen and essentially serve the same food, which is not fantastic. You do not have to worry about gaining weight from over eating at the buffet! There is outdoor seating for one buffet but do not go in with a wet bathing suit or no coverup as they will read you the riot act. I went to all the a la cartes here except the Mexican one and enjoyed them very much. You cannot get a reservation if you want one except for the Teppenyaki table where a reservation is required, and to get this you have to be at the concierge's desk at 8 am to reserve for the next day. Try to reserve this though, it is so much fun! Some other guests did have the ability to reserve at all the a la cartes but I do not know what part of the resort they were from. If you were at the a la carte between 5:30-6 pm you were able to be seated promptly but by 6:30 you will be waiting at least 45 minutes. I really did not like the food at the buffet so we were willing to wait. In the White Sands building the a la cartes are Chinese, Italian, Ribhouse and Brazilian. We went to all except the Chinese and only the Italian was not spectacular. If you only to to 3 a la cartes, make them Japanese, Steakhouse and Ribs and more. A special thank you to Israel at the Steakhouse, he was the best!!!
pool: the pool is very large with plenty of loungers. It had more sun time than other resorts I have been to, you can sit in the sun until almost 5 pm! We would throw our towels on loungers on the way to breakfast at 9 am and had no problem securing seats but by 10:30 the chairs were all taken.
beach: The beach is slightly rocky in places but nothing I would complain about. Surprisingly there are lots of fish in the area, you can walk out on the sandbar for a long way in waist high water and have tropical fish swim around you! This was great fun for my parents who do not swim. Palappas again are easy to get at 9 am but gone by 10:30.
activities: you can go para-sailing off this beach for $$. Catamarans,kayaks, and paddle boats are free but the wind has to be right.
animals: There are feral cats, raccoons, cotis, and another animal whose name I do not know as well as iguanas and geckos. You are discouraged from feeding the animals but they are very tame. There are also 2 crocodile pens with 5-6 crocs in each, very cool to see.
room: I stayed in buiding 8, my parents in 32. This resort again is HUGE and my parents had the best building as it was very close to the pool, buffet and beach. Our building was a hike from everything. The signage is confusing and for the first few days we wandered in circles. It would be helpful if they had more maps at intersections. Our room was kept very clean and cleaned before 1 pm usually.
weddings: There is a chapel and 3 gazebos to be married from. There were 4 weddings this week, it seemed to be a popular destination for weddings.
liquor: they do not water down the drinks here, I am now almost an alcoholic from all the drinking I did!
In summary if you love food you probably won't like the buffet. The beach and pool will not disappoint. The liquor is plentiful, service is prompt, and not needing reservations has its plusses and minuses. I enjoyed my stay very much, thank you Omar, Leonardo and Reuben for great service!

Room Tip: Get building 32!
8 Thank aquacaliente
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear aquacaliente,

Thank you for share with us and other readers on tripadvisor your opinion.

Don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything.

Best regards,

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (954)
  • Polish first
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed a week over New Years Eve. The resort is very clean and the rooms were average. The beach was a little rough due to the reef and made swimming in the sea very difficult, but the pools were lovely. Limited number of bars, and the swim up bar seems tucked away. Only one volleyball court in the Colonial beach area and it was always packed and wasn't even directly on the beach. The staff was extremely friendly and the food was fantastic, the only perk of the resort being so large. Great buffet for NYE but the night show was very lame for being hyped up so much. The nightclub is small and on the outskirts of the resort at the Rivieria, but fairly good live bands at night at the colonial lobby. 24 hr snack bar was great. Biggest complaint of the trip were the animals! Raccoons and rodent-type small animals everywhere! Made us very uncomfortable, especially while eating. The raccoons are so bold they will try to climb onto your chair/table while you are eating at an outdoor restaurant, it was awful!! Completely ruined eating outdoors for us, especially when the weather was so nice.

Overall, would not return to the Colonial. Too many issues with the animals, location/number of bars, expansiveness of the resort and the quality of the beach.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Brianna C
Dear Brianna B,

Thank you for your time and for your comments. This is a ecological resort and we respect the vegetacion and the animals. It's very important don't feed the animals because the food is bad for them and that is why the animals are close to people.

Please, if you decide to visit us in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

With best regards,

Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Traveled Air Transat and I have to say, excellent service, with a hot meal and lots of drink service and pleasant flight attendants. Unfortunately, the electronic ticketing went down so slowed down check in by a few hours until it was up and running but we had to wait anyway as the pilot had food poisoning and the replacement pilot was late flying in from Toronto with a flight delay of his own.
We arrived with a direct transfer to the resort by Transat only because most of the bus was going there. This was repeated on the way back.
The Palladium did not disappoint. The first impression at the desk is excellent, welcome drinks were served, front desk staff helpful and pleasant. They were very polite and always able to answer questions (I’m sure they get the same question over and over again and probably a stupid question to them, but they never gave me the impression I was irritating them).
ROOMS: Upgrade to Jr. Suites as we were repeat customers. It wasn’t necessary but appreciated. Clean with good A/C. Good housekeeping staff whether we tipped or not (we mostly did but forgot a few days). TV is a bit old but we rarely watched and I don’t care on holidays if the TV is good or not.
FOOD: We ate at the buffet exclusively. The Christmas Eve dinner is first come, first serve but line ups didn’t start until around 7:30pm. They had ice sculptures and lovely decorations. The food was a HUGE variety with lobster, shrimp, lamb, beef, turkey and all the trimmings. Desserts were to die for! Food rest of the week wasn’t quite as fancy but still great! Lots of bacon at breakfast, churros a few times for the week, omelets, fresh fruit and a good variety. Lunch was at the beach bar, where you can order what you want, including jalapeno poppers. They no longer have the self serve stations except at the Colonial beach bar – mostly you order your meal. It can be a bit slow, especially by the Whitesands beach bar.
BEACH: Good long stretch of beach. I’d recommend water shoes as there are some rocks but also a few sandy entry areas. Water was warm and very nice once you were in. Yellow flags all week. We did not do a lot of snorkeling at the resort (although in past years we did and felt it was good). You could see the fish without snorkel gear.
Spa: Beautiful. They have a warm pool with hydro massage jets and a hot tub – all free. We found the pool and “lazy river” a bit cold.
SEGWAY: So much fun! We went with Mr. G who was great and gave lots of practice time. Wear stable footwear as a girl in our group kept trying to take off her flip-flops and he told her she couldn’t go bare foot. Sign up is at the Colonial pool, across from where you get towels.
EXCURSIONS: We did Akumal Bay and a cenote booked via the Transat Rep on Christmas Day. It was fantastic. Our guide was Pamela who has her degree in biology so was a wealth of knowledge. It was $72 pp from the resort but included transfers. It lasted half a day and was I think easier to find the turtles as it was a bit windy that day. We saw 2 turtles and a sting ray. The cenote is at Hidden Worlds with a 3km bumpy ride but it was great to see. Beautiful.
Our other excursion was Xel Ha. I booked through the resort (Transat) as it included transfer and the price would have been similar with a taxi. As this was Boxing Day, I wasn’t sure how reliable the colectivos were but we’ve used them in the past and they are safe. I found this very easy to do as the Transat rep told me exactly what to bring and what to expect and it was exactly as she described. Xel Ha is an all day affair and you still won’t have seen it all. There are maps all over the place so you can get from one location to another. I’d recommend snorkeling the lazy river as there are lots of colorful fish along the edges. We also tubed it but it takes time...lots of time. There is also a small inlet with a lot of colorful tropical fish (similar to the snorkeling we saw at the Palladium in Jamaica and in Hawaii). We ate at the fast food buffet area here and the food was good. Very clean place and loads of fun. Worth the money.
NIGHT SHOWS: The Colonial lobby had the early show at 9pm and the Riviera lobby has a later show at 10:45 pm. Both are great. Best were the Mexican show (live horse and rope tricks at the end) and the Pirate show and the fire show. The White Party was rained out (only night of rain) and it moved to the Riviera lobby with the fire show at the theater, instead of it being at the salt water pool. Still pretty good! The dancers have really added to their act from a few years ago when I last saw them. Lots of acrobatics and great dancing. So good!
GENERAL: Still a lot of people feeding the animals by the Colonial wooden bridge which is sad as the babies are being taught to beg for food. People feed them as they stand in front of the sign that says “Don’t feed the animals”. Not sure what to make of that. It’s mostly the raccoons and coatis.
On the topic of the wooden bridge, don’t wear heels as you’ll go right through the slats. Fun to watch but not if it’s happening to you.
If you need over the counter medications (advil, Imodium etc) the Cigar shop/variety store at the Kantenah side stocks a lot of stuff (not antibiotics). Just ask the girls as they are very helpful. If you get sick enough to need antibiotics, you will need to visit the doctor (in the Colonial lobby) and the front desk can then get your prescription delivered. Very efficient service. You can no longer get antibiotics over the counter in Mexico as they’ve changed their regulations. Again, Transat reps are a wealth of knowledge. One member or our group had an ear infection.
I’d avoid the Palladium Travel Club reps. Most take a polite “no” but one woman actually said to me, “you’re one of those” after I refused to engage her, in a very scornful way. I wasn’t impressed but continued to ignore her. It’s not suitable for our family but they would be great if that is your style of traveling. They seem to mostly troll the lobby area.
I love the Palladium resorts and this is the 3rd time at the Mayan Palladium resorts. I’d do it again as I haven’t found a resort that gives me a better bang for my buck.

12 Thank siesta4_1
Dear siesta4_1,

Thank you for your complete review. We appreciate your comments and we are glad to know that you have had a great christmas with us.

With best regards,

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

Beautiful grounds, gardens, pools and buildings along with superb weather made our stay memorable and enjoyable. My (grown) kids enjoyed the pool-side activities and we marvelled at the entertainment and activitiy-staff's enthusiasm and energy. Lots of laughs!!! As a prior poster has mentioned, the staff work extremely hard to maintain the perfect environment. The reception area is a pleasure to sit in, with bars, comfortable lounge-furniture and beautiful colonial-Spanish decor! Great value!! My only (very minor) criticism is that the rooms are too dark and it was difficult to read. The staff were extremely helpful to us when my son was unwell and the resort doctor was excellent. The beach is a stand-out!

3 Thank Melbourners
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear Melbourners,

I am glad to know that you have had a good vacation in Palladium. Thank you for share with us and other readers your opinion.

Runcorn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

Nothing too much trouble for the staff, everywhere kept immaculate, my 6 year old daughter loved it, food delicious in restaurants and above average in buffets

Any holiday will seem poor compared with this so may have to keep going back to the Colonial

Excellent TOP marks

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank batespcm1981
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear batespcm1981,

Thank you for your good comments.

Best regards,

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

Arrived in the early evening, the sun had gone down. After check in we got past on to a man who was to give us more information about the hotel. After about five minutes of showing us everything about the hotel, he then turned to the real reason why we were there. It was of course TIME SHARE!!! That was the time for a Quick exit. They also have a desk in the lobby ,they come at you as you pass by sometimes. We were transported from the lobby area to our room, in a large golfing type buggy. We thought we where going through a jungle. The luggage arrived 10 minutes later. The room which was on the 3rd floor (top) is recommended as it looks out over the trees. Basic but comfortable, old t v, only showed snow. Room maid was excellent. There are 4 sections to this resort and it is large but the transport around it is very good. After one day we new our way around the walkways. Food from around the world, go early to the themed restaurants, no problem. The Buffet restaurants also have a different theme each night. Beach Barbeque each Thursday book the day before. There are 4 bars on the beach and 28 around the resort. Carlos at the White Sands Adult pool is the man who really looks after everyone, top man. Avoid Villa 1 rooms 1101 to 1136 Colonial if you don't stay in the lobby bar until 1 am, as the music entertainment ( which we enjoyed ) dos'nt finish until 1am. Please don't feed the animals, they are not domestic. If you select this hotel I don't think you will be disappointed. Have fun.

Room Tip: High room for the view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank wanderer1958_12
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear wanderer1958_12,

Thank you for give us your opinion and thank you for your advise regarding the animals. We have put information about don't to feed the animals because it's very bad for them.

Please, if we can help you with anything in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Happy new year!!

Cardiff
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

Stayed here for 2 weeks early December booked through First Choice. I have read most of the previous reviews and agree this is a great hotel, but depending on what is important to you, then you may find certain aspects not quite ideal for you. However for us this hotel ticked all the boxes
Resort - It’s huge and for us this was a major plus. It was great to stroll through the beautiful gardens walking off some of that great food. There were trains and golf caddy to take you around but we preferred to walk.
Room - We stayed in block 4 and found the room pretty basic, beds were a bit firm but slept well, AC worked well, mini fridge replenished daily and cleaned to a high standard. For the time we spent in the room it was fine.
Food - Overall the food was great with plenty of choice. We felt some of the A La Carte were not to our taste and poor (Italian & Mexican) but really enjoyed the Steak and Asian. Only tried one of the buffet restaurants once in the evening and it was very good and less crowded that the others. Breakfast and dinner were great, plenty of choice, always something to enjoy. Food stations were a bit slow, but what’s the rush. The coffee was the only poor issue, however having read previous reviews we took our own sachet’s so issue resolved.
Pools - Excellent, one for everyone’s taste. We used the Adult only, rock pool and spa pools. The main pools were huge but we found them too noisy as we were not interested in the activities and kids programmes. Towels are available at every pool and beach bar.
Beach - Amazing and the sea brought a welcome cooling breeze. You could always find a sun lounger and plenty of shaded areas if that’s what you want. Yes the sea is rocky along some parts of the beach but there are plenty enough sandy area's to swim. Take your snorkel and mask as the fish are awesome. Worth getting up early to see the sun rise.
Entertainment - We found it fairly poor but that’s just our view, and not that important to us.
Service - Generally Excellent, there were times when it was difficult to get a drink in the buffet restaurants but nothing of major concern. Bar staff in the Secret Bar were exceptional recommending different cocktails and shots to try.
Thomson Rep and trips - We did not attend the welcome meeting, however Jason was there when we needed him. He was very helpful when I lost my specs going out of his way to hep, unlike Guest Services who were less than helpful. We booked Chichen Itza trip and had an amazing day with a trip swimming in a Cenote a real bonus. It was slightly dearer than elsewhere but our guide Martin was superb engaging everyone and really informative.
General - Free Wi Fi in the reception area was a bonus, however this was slow and would not run video, Skype etc you would need to pay for this if you wanted this. The Collectivo stops outside the hotel and is only 350 peso to Playa del Carmen, 200 to Akumal (well worth a trip)
This is a great hotel and I am sure you will enjoy it here, don’t let minor issues cloud your opinions.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SandDCardiff
Dear SandDCardiff,

I would like to give you thank you for share with us your comments about your vacation. We appreciate your time because this information is help for improve our service every day.

Resident Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 7,974 reviews

Been to Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!