“excellent hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Leicester, United Kingdom
“excellent hotel”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

what wonderful hotel ,arrived back 2 days ago,had lovely time weather very good flight by forst choice aweful took off birm landed at manchester 14 hours flight time we knew about this but half the people on plane did not know never again ,but soon forgotten after 2 days,hotel spotless rooms excellant,beach good, but rocks in the sea which make you stumble,the staff cannot do enough for you,you cnnot help but tip,the mayan people are best workers i have come across'food in restaurant good,al a cart chinese poor mexican poor so we finnished going in steak house 5 times that very good but all ways 1 hour wait but did not matter to us has they give you a blipper to take with you back to the bar, we had awonderfull time,we thought the complex was was a bit to big for us ,we went as a couple and was difficult to meet people,all in all excellant

Room Tip: not ground floor unless you like wild animals
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank stephen p
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear stephen p

In behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to give you thank you for share with us your opinion about your vacation.

Happy new year!!

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (981)
  • Polish first
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed December 8, 2012

My husband, 4 year old daughter and I traveled to Grand Palladium for 9 days from Nov. 29th-Dec. 7th.
Flight: We had a direct flight from JFK to Cancun with American Airlines. It was an ok flight with no delays. Same goes for our way back.
Hotel: The Grand Palladium is located about one hour and 20 min from Cancun airport. We were provided transfers to both directions in a mini van which was comfortable and had AC. We arrived to the hotel in the afternoon and had our check in at the Kentanah. I did what I do always- I email one of the managers before our arrival with some requestes and upon checking in everyting was ready! We were celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary, so we were given the red wrist bands, upgraded to a Jr. suite in villa 21 and on the 3rd floor as I have requested. Also, we had champagne upon arrival to our room and were given a complimantery reservation to one of the speciality restaturants. The resort is made of 5 different hotels: the Kentanah, Colonial, White Sands, Riviera and the Royal Yacutan (adults only). We stayed at the colonial side which was very nice. Each hotel has a buffett and couple of the speciality restaurants. The grounds are very clean and big. There is two trains running around between all the hotels to ease the walking distance which we found very useful and my daughter enjoyed it very much. Each hotel has a huge pool and even though the resort was full of people, it was not crowded and there were planty of chairs available. The beach was very nice with white sand and the water was warm and clear. Even though there were a few rocky spots, as soon as you pass them its was pure sand again.
Food: the food was very good in all the buffetts and the 3 restaurants we managed to visit. Each evening the buffetts have a speciality night like the Gala, Mexican, Italian etc. Very large selection of food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Each buffett has a egg station, panini and crepe stations. There are fresh juices available, you can make your own salad and pasta. We visited the Mexican, Japanese and the Mediterranean restaurants.However, please be aware that with the resort's policy of no reservation required for the speciality restaurants, if you do not arrive by the opening time (5:30 or 6pm) you will have to wait at least one hour to be sitted! With a small child, it was a big problem. All were very good and even had kids menus. There are bars in all the pools and offer a drinks menu with large selection. However, as far as I am aware-there is not room service available! So be aware. Just a suggestion to the management that reads these reviews- how about putting a fruit stand by the beach area? I know there are the small sitting areas there that offer food but I didnt see even one fruit stand! Where people just could pick a fresh fruit and enjoy it! Also, I havent seen mangos! We love them and were looking for it at the fruit selection at each buffett and not even once seen any.
Entertainment: in one word-AMAZING!!!! The resort features TWO shows every night except sunday. The first one at 9pm at the Colonial theater and the second at the Riviera at 10:15pm. Each show has a different theme to it. We saw ever single one and it was a pure pleasure. We especially loved the Pirate show, Rock Forever and the Disney theme ones. My daughter had a blast at the mini shows and stayed up watching the other two. The POP (People of Palladium) together with the hostes and the dancers are very professional, dance incredibly, the costumes are amazing! I have traveled to many different resorts and this was by far the best entertainment offered. BIG thank you to all the people who are involved in each production.
Spa: I used one of the special packages available and it was worth every penny! Very professional and has a huge veriaty of services to offer. I highly recommend!
Overall, we loved the resort with everything it had to offer. It was our first time in Mexico and we deffenatly would love to come back. So thank you Mexico and Grand Palladium for such a wonderful experiance and a warm welcome! Hope to see you soon!

Room Tip: We stayed in Villa 21, Room 2115 which was a Jr. suite. We had a huge king size bed and a sofa bed f...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank earthrise20
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear earthrise20,

In behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to give you thank you for share with us your comments. I apreciate your time and your suggestions. I will take note and I will analize it with the rest of the team.

Regarding the fruits; i would like to comment that the selection is subject to the season. The season of the mango is from march to october....

Please, if we can help you with anything in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stayed for 12 nights in November for our honeymoon and have to say this hotel was excellent. Its really clean and there are staff around taking care of lots of little jobs nearly every hour of the day. There are plenty of restaurants to choose from for your evening meals, in fact if you didn't want to, you really wouldn't need to leave the complex. The staff were friendly and the bar staff always made sure you had a full drink. We will definitely be returning in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mrs_Cookson
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Mrs_Cookson,

Thank you for your good comments.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

First time visiting Mexico,this hotel made it extremely hard to want to travel beyond the mayan riviera surrounding parts. It completely exceeded my expectations! Not knowing what to expect it was nothing less then beautiful landscaping and almost unreal maintenance put into the grand palladium hotel. The beach area was clean as can be making it comfortable to relax with enough beach chairs as well as the odd hammock to relax in all day, next to the breath taking blue sea. The resort was a combined resort of 4 different hotels with beautiful pathways sided by preserved jungles connecting them making burning those mojito calories off no problem, but if walking is not your thing they also provide a taxi system as well as a train making its consistent route around the resort allowing you to visit the different lobby's and buffets/restaurants. I had stayed in one of the colonial suits and it was by far my favourite lobby's of all time. We had the BEST service from our favourite bartender at the colonial lobby bar Alejandro, which we would visit nightly. Anyone visiting this resort regardless of which lobby your situated in take the train and go see him. Great drink recommendations, and despite the business of the lobby bar, we would receive the upmost fastest and entertaining service from him, creating tons of laughs and enticing us to come back nightly during our stay. But beware because I think his day off is Wednesday so if he's not around Luis the other bar man is the man to see, he also had outstanding service! If tequila isn't your idea of fun then you can also enjoy their nightly entertaining shows suitable for all ages. Food was excellent as well as the service there. Everything was great couldn't ask for a better vacation go see this place!!

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank Ezezov
ColonialKantenah, Propietario at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Ezezov,

In behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to give you thank you for your time and for your comments.

Ames, Iowa
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We traveled with a group of 10+ people November 25-30, 2012. This was our first time to this resort, but others in the group had been there 3 and 4 times. We were in building 4 in the Colonial. Overall we had a great time in a beautiful resort.

Observations:
* The beach is beautiful! Other reviewers warned that the chairs were quickly taken up, but we had good luck wandering in mid-to late morning and finding enough chairs. I think if the resort was holding more people that chair availability would be an issue. Yes, there is a bit of coral some of the shallow water. Bring water shoes and you'll be fine.
* The food was okay. No, you're not eating at a Morton's Steakhouse for every meal, but we thought they did a decent job of trying to please the palates of guests from all over the world. There's good variety at the buffets - surely you can find something you like! We never really experienced problems with a lack of waitstaff or too-long lines. If you want coffee or capuchino or tea - walk over to the machine on the buffet and get it!
* The swimming pools were cooooold. The pools are beautiful - but cold. :( The chitter chatter on the loud speakers at the main pool could be annoying as it carries over onto parts of the beach and other pools. But, there seemed to be a fair number of people participating in the events, so I guess not everyone is annoyed.
* Five-star rooms? Well, maybe ... not really. But, we did book the lowest-grade rooms. Our room had two beds - small beds. :( If we go back we'll upgrade to a king suite. And, I did end up renting a pillow as the pillows were not that hot. The $3/day was well worth it at that point in time. On the positive side the AC worked great and the rooms were quiet. There could have been more light in the rooms. Housecleaning did a great job each day. We didn't book into the resort to hang out in our rooms, we were there for the beach!
* The spa has a great hot-water pool that we used every afternoon. We splurged for a couples massage and were pleased. It's not a bargain, but it was quite good so I can't complain too much about the cost.
* We did not have any problems with check-in or check-out.
* Free WiiFii was kind of a bummer. It kind of worked. But! We didn't go there to work so it made cutting the cord to my office easier. ;)
* We were asked a few times if we wanted more information on their 'traveler's club' membership. We went into high-avoidance! I finally stopped the guy by saying, "Just answer one question - what does it cost?" He said that it starts at $500. I don't know what it does for you or how much more the price goes up as we just weren't interested enough to want to talk past that.
* We walked over to the White Sands area a couple times. That was the only place we saw any mosquitos.
* I've had to laugh a bit at the anti-American comments in some of the other reviews. If there was someone who exhibited no guilt about jumping in front of you at the buffet or literally stepping on your toes or pushing you out of the way, I'd say it's a safe bet that it's a European.
* The bars/bartenders were great! All the drinks were good. TIP: bring a good-sized insulated mug and your drinks stay cold and you make fewer bar runs.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a King suite or you'll get two smallish beds. White Sands seemed to have mosquitos wh...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank bugs4cy
Dear bugs4cy,

The opinion of our guest it's very important for improve our service and work, day with day. I would like to give you thank you for your time....

Please, if we can help you with anything, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We went to this resort at the end of May 2012 for my brothers wedding. I can say it was beautiful... Here is my break down:

Rooms
the Rooms are spacious with Air conditioning and a big patio. the beds are Hard but i beleive most All inclusives are, the frdige is always stocked and the cleaners are on time. The only thing i didnt like about the room is the Mosquitos.. these mosquitos are small compaired to Canada's standards but their bite's hurt. I honstly think the mosquitos get in there when the room gets cleaned cause they leave the door wide open to the outside for cleaning. But either than that when i get back to the room from a whole day drinking, i dont notce them at all...

Pools
the pools is gorgeous.. the dept of the pool is pretty deep i beleive it was like 5'3" and i like pools that are deep enough to be submerged but not deeeep enough to be drowning in it. if you are 5" tall, bring a float if you dont know how to swim ;)

the a la carts were okay.. the steak place was my favorite, and the Mexican place was my second choice. the Buffet was good, Breakfast at the buffet place is the same all the time so no surprice in that. the Dinners was different every night which was also good.

Beach
the Beach at the time was okay.... i think it might have been the time we went but the beach was covered in seaweed the coast lines and everything.. the people at the resort were cleaning it everyday but it was getting washed up all the time.. but everybody had fun dispite the weeds.

Service was supperb, just remember to tip. everywhere we went the service was great. the only downfall is that there is no room service. so since the resort was huge, if you felt hungry at night you would have to walk to the snack shop to get a bite... sometimes have one too many drinks and having to walk that far is annoying. there is a small golf cart train that pulls passengers around.

Cleanliness
This place is very clean! top notch!

Location
Location of this resort is pretty far from the Airport in Cancun. we ha\d to take a 3 hour bus ride to this resort. but the guilde on the bus was welcoming and friendly.. they even sold us some beer on the bus.

Would I every come here again??
Yes i would! i recommend it... but since there was no room service im going to a different resort in January to try out.

hope this helps

Room Tip: make sure you ask where you want to be more closer to.. the pool... the beach or the lobby.... cause...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank j-rev78
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear j-rev78,

I would like to give you thank you for your feedback. I will take note about your observations....please, if we can help you with anything, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Stayed there during Thanksgiving week with my wife, 2 kids and a whole bunch of friends. Pretty much everything was perfect. Some exceptions though.
Pools are great, too bad they were too cold to swim in. We did occasionally but the sea is so much warmer. And yes, we missed most of them, didn't make sense to spend time there.
Sometimes it takes longer to wait for a guy with the golf cart to drive you somewhere than to walk. The train follows some invisible schedule, but usually takes forever to get on when you need it, for example, people are moving between the lobbies after the shows and they don't bother to have enough carts and trains there.
A la carte restaurants are pretty hard to get into especially with more than 4 people party. They do not accept any reservations and by the time you arrive there the wait time can be ridiculous. On one occasion we've got into an argument with the consierge and they had seated us in 15 min instead of 45 or an hour. To our surprise quite a few tables inside where empty (remember - no reservations). Also remember that no shorts allowed in the a la carte restaurants (but the dress code is for men only, women can dress as they like).
Because of the size of the resort the beach places are taken early in the morning. Make sure to put your towel there before going to the breakfast. By the time you are done eating all the beach chairs will be taken.
Contrary to other comments people trying to sell us the 90 minutes presentation were not that annoying, they only asked us twice. I explicitly asked whether it is a timeshare presentation and they told us it was not. However I'm not that easy to convince and we've decided not to waste an hour and a half on anything regardless of what they claimed it was.
Internet in the lobbies was working but the signal was weak and we've asked them to restart the routers a few times. Do not count on it although in many cases it was actually working. Phone calls are ridiculously expensive just like in any other hotel of this class around the world.
Nothing to do with the resort itself but bare in mind it is over an hour from the airport even if you do not share the ride with other people staying elsewhere.
As other people wrote the beach is a bit rocky. However the rocky areas are well marked. The beach is not too wide and the palm trees are pretty close to the water. It is great if you want to avoid the sun but not as good when it comes to conveniently accommodating all the hotel's guests there.
Although the gym is pretty good many people are running on the roads inside the resort both in the morning and right before the dinner. The entire loop (no repetitions) is little less than 5K. Since the paths are not that wide it is good idea to exercise the same kind of caution as with the road running. The beach has some pretty good stretches but mostly it is deap sand which makes running quite challenging (unless you are an experienced trail runner). Rocks and shells make barefoot running difficult although some people do that. Forget about the highway, I think I've heard that running there is not allowed but even if it is there is no shoulder and I see it too dangerous.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Crocodile67,

I appreciate your comments. The opinion of our guest is very important for us. It's help for improve our service...I will share it with the rest of the team...

Please, if we can help you with anything, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Resident Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,113 reviews
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

Been to Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!