have just returned from a two week stay at this hotel. Overall the hotel is great and me and my partner had a wonderful stay.
Very well situated for excursions to Talum (Ruins), Playa De carmen (Town), Akumal (Swimming with turtles) You can reach all of these by Transportivo which are local buses that patrol the stretch of road that this hotel and all other hotels in River Maya are on. Buses cost £1.50 so are a great way to get around.
The wildlife here made a huge part of the holiday for me. See other comments for types...
The mozzies were a big issue for other travellers but we used "Off" this brand of repellant worked just fine. Dont be shy with it, Use plenty and you will only get the odd bite. I got 3 in 2 weeks.
The Staff were good, not great but good. tended to serve the spanish first but i suppose speaking the native tongue helps. its handy to tip yet they dont always seem to be appreciated. We tipped in all of the al a carte restaurants as the waiters serving were great.
The restaurants were all pretty good. Some better than others but generally of a decent quality. My favourite were the Chinese, the japanese and the steak house. Also the buffet foods were great quality. The best of any buffet that i have experienced.
Time shares. These are being offered around the lobbys all day but if you mention to them that you have travelled without your credit card they will quickly leave you alone. We were not bothered much at all but I saw others being so.
Rooms: Not that they matter as you dont go away to stay in yourroome but these are typical carribean style rooms. Dull yellow in colour. Generally clean but dark and gloomy. Need updating as they do not represent well giving that the hotel has 5 stars. We stayed in colonial and i now understand that these are the oldest of the rooms. Whitesand resort are supposed to be more modern. They are also very dark. the lights and lamps provided cannot light up the room.
I could go on forever but to sum it up..
Great hotel for holiday, 2 weeks stay at the max, 10 days maybe not enough. Grounds are kept well. Location great. Staff 9/10. Mexicans very friendly. Weather 10/10.
Most importantly: Value for money 10/10
I hope that this helps .
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa is located on a spectacular, private Caribbean beach-front complex that boasts of 800 meters of white, fine sand and turquoise blue waters. Guests of the Grand Palladium Colonial are invited to use the facilities provided by the adjoining Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, the Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, and the Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, with the exception of the Royal Suite facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Palladium Colonial Hotel
- Hotel Grand Palladium Colonial
- Grand Palladium Mexico
- Palladium Colonial Resort
- Grand Palladium Spa
- Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico