“Beautiful Wedding on the Beach”

Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 23, 2012

A group of 28 went to the Grand Palladium for our daughter's wedding in July. The resort is huge and has every amenity you could wish for, including big lobbies and bars, perfect for our large group to gather and cool down in, a spa, many restaurants, a great lunch buffet, a beautiful beach, lovely big pools at the Colonial/ Kantennah area and at the Riviera/ White Sands area as well as a few smaller pools. There were lots of iguanas, coaties and other wildlife roaming the property. We never really watched any of the entertainment but the disco wasn't too great. Our room was a Mayan suite with an outdoor shower but we really appreciated that it stayed cool even we we didn't use the air conditioner at night. Our fridge was stocked with beer, soft drinks and water. Overall we were very happy with the service in bars and restaurants. The beer and margaritas were so good. It was annoying that the phone in my sister's room didn't work unless I phoned through the front desk who said I had to leave out the front digit- not true. The day of the wedding I had to run there in the heat to give her a message! They told the front desk a few times about this problem but nothing was done. The wedding coordinator, Gracie, did a fantastic job of organizing and overseeing all the details of the wedding. It took place in a gazebo at the edge of the ocean and everything was perfect, despite a torrential downpour earlier in the day.. They had a photographer who took photos before, during and after the service. She seemed very professional and was very patient when waiting for various groups to assemble and her fee was so reasonable. The reception at the Las Rocas salt water pool at the edge of the ocean was lovely as well, and they provided a microphone and screen for a slide show. Shuttle carts as well as a little train picked us up and took us to different areas. Other than the heat and humidity, the only problem was finding people at the pool or the beach as it was such a large resort. There were vendors in the lobby and a couple of them were rude and pushy but overall it was nice to have stuff available if you wanted to buy a few little things or hone up on your bargaining skills. Another problem was that they only seated people in tables of 8 at the different restaurants and we often had to wait to be seated as we often ate between 7 and 8.. We really enjoyed the Mediterranean, Portofino and the steak house. We weren't too impressed with the rib place. The beach area was large and there were lots of chairs in the sun and shade. Catamaran sailboats and kayaks were available at the beach and were free. A boat & equipment were available for rent to take you to the Akumal area to snorkel and look for sea turtles. A group of us spent $40 and were thrilled with the fish and turtles. If you want go to Akumal (or other places on your own it's easy to walk to the highway and take a short ride in Collectiva van for around $3. A taxi should cost around $15 US to get back and we had to bargain for that. We even got a regular Aida bus to Tulum from the highway. If you want to take a taxi into Playa del Carmen or back form Tulum there is a set fare. A few of us booked Cancun Shuttles online to pick us up from and take us back to the airport. It's reasonable, fast and stress free especially if there are more than 2 of you.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to a Mayan Suite but the rooms my son and friends were in were perfectly fine as yo...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JenStAlbert
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

Dear JenStAlbert,

Thank you for share with us your opinion and it's a pleasure to know that you have had a great wedding with us. I will take note about your observations and I will share them with the rest of the team this information.

Cordially,

Banesa M° Burque

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Just returned on 7/21/12, after a week vacation. I vacationed with family and friends; 18 total.
My overall vacation was very good. The resort grounds are beautiful. The lobby, various restaurants, spa, pools, and beach are well maintained. The shows and various entertainers were enjoyable.
The food found in the buffets and many restaurants were varied and quite good. Although, one previous reviewer had mentioned the many fried foods found at the buffets (which is true), there are also other options offered, including several different salads, sandwich makings, soup, fruit, yogurt, and pasta. The cappucino served was really good.

Although I stayed in a standard room, I found it to be ok. I, along with my friends in other rooms received a phone call from the management on day two to check on our accommodations. Unfortunately, some problems (nothing major) didn't occur until a day or two later. Such as an electrical outage(for about 30 minutes) during the evening, which also occurred in my friend's room. Luckily I brought a flashlight from home, as suggested by another reviewer, for some of the low-lit paths. The maid forgot a few times to leave the correct number of face towels(wash cloths) and a large number of ants found their way thru an opening under the door on the last night of my stay.
Although this is an all-inclusive, I did tip people, when I felt they did an outstanding job. However, I feel the resort management should stop the market vendors that are brought on property, from asking for tips. Their prices aren't that cheap that they need to compensate by asking for tips.
I'm not impressed with the front desk personnel at the Colonial. I tried to get $US change for $20 US dollars, and was told they don't have change and that "Lady, this is Mexico! Try the bartenders." The bartenders didn't give change, but one of the Apple Reps was able to help.

My major problem came at Check-out. I tried to Express Check-out the night before our departure, but was told that I couldn't do that, since I still needed the room card (HUH?), Then, after I made arrangements with the Bellhop, the night before our departure, the bellhop forgot to come to our room along with two other rooms. After calling, they quickly came. Then came the problems with the front desk checkout at the Kantenah (you can checkout at either the Colonial or Kantenah). Because our Apple bus was meeting us at the Kantenah I choose to checkout there. I had charged the spa service of $97 to my room, since the credit card machine at the spa was not in service the day I was there. Ana, at the front desk, could not get the credit card machine to work even after giving her 3 different credit cards (which I had used elsewhere on the trip). I then gave Ana $100 US. Ana could not get the change drawer open. She then asked me for exact change. After searching in my purse, I gave her the exact change. She then told me that I needed to give her my passport, so she could make a copy. Now, I had to locate my husband to get my passport from him. When I questioned why they needed my passport after taking a copy at my arrival, another front desk person-Victor, interrupted stating "Lady, it's a rule" and then pointed to a sign regarding changing US$ to pesos (HUH?). This had nothing to do with what I was doing. Note: Three days prior, my 3 friends paid US$ to the spa and weren't asked for their passport. After waiting five minutes for a receipt, I asked Victor what was taking so long. He replied that Ana had to go to the printer which was located in the Colonial(HUH? one printer shared between two lobbies).

Despite the check out problems, I would still return to this vacation resort, just a little wiser about the front desk antics.

4  Thank dvinci

Dear dvinci,

Thank you for your comments. I would like to offer you my apologies for the incidents that you have had during your vacation. I will see this situation with our Front Desk manager.

Please, if we can help you with anything, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Bit late doing this review but thought I would do one. My husband & myself went here for my husbands 50th April 19th 2012 We had a great room no complaints service checking in was quick. We went down by the pool which looked amazing, but there were loads & loads teenagers boys & girls. They were drunk & rowdy, Lot of these were there on stag/hen parties we found out later. We decided to go to another pool a adult only pool, this was good for few hours then the teanagers came there. They were very drunk by this time & out of control. Nobody appeared to do anything about them even after complaining to the bar staff. Next day we decided to head for the beach, well the beach was amazing plenty sunbeds & shade. But this was all spoilt by afternoon the teanagers appeared in gangs of 20+ already drunk. They started throwing the little drinks table about & busting sunbeds Some the boys were pulling down there swimmers & exposing themselves, It was so dusgusting this behaviour as there were young kids about and lot older than we about.The mess they were making was appauling, so desrepectful to the bar staff. Security were called , eventually came.But they were only moved onto another area. The main pool area, where they carried on acting like hooligans. At night if we saw them we went opposite direction as we had had enough of there behaviour there shouting and disrepectfullness of others. There was a night club there, but it was aimed at the teenagers. They were dancing on sides where your drinks were suspose to go. Being sick all over the toilet floors. The poor staff.
I would not book here again due to the fact of what they allowed to happen here. It was like tanagers Holiday camp. Real shame as the Hotel is amazing, the food is amazing. The pools & beach are stunning. Plenty of sunbeds go around. The beach was spotless at all times.The staff are so very friendly & helpful.They do anything to help you.
The rooms were kept spotless at all times. The maid made something different everyday with the towels. When they say all inclusive, here it is all inclusive. From time you get up to time you go to bed. We stayed in Grand Palladium in the Dominica republic that was amazing, This was why we booked this one, we thought be of the same.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank edmundkimteisha
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2012

Dear eddiesteady,

I would like to offer you our apologies. We always try to make unforgettable the vacation of our guest. In this case, it was no possible. I will take note about your comments for check situations like this in the future.

Please, if you change your opinion and decide to visit us in the future, don't hesitate to contac with us.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

We stayed for a week at the Grand Palladium Palace in Punta Cana last year (first time at a Grand Palladium Resort)and had such a great time we decided to try Grand Palladium Colonial in Riviera Maya for 2 weeks this year (June 2 – 16). It was so fantastic that we have already decided to go back to the Colonial for 2 weeks next year!

Due to the distance from the airport, we opted to use AGI private roundtrip transportation (for 2 couples it was $150 roundtrip). They were right there waiting for us as we left the terminal and got to the resort 1 hour later.

The GP RM resort is very large and cut out of the jungle. There were trains and carts to shuttle you around, although we enjoyed the walks thru the jungle and seeing all of the wild life (iguanas, coaties, raccoons, tropical birds, pelicans, etc). We were in Colonial Villa 5 (great location to lobby, pool (8 minute walk), White Sands lobby). Although we requested a top floor room, our first floor room had a really nice walk in shower.

We enjoy the GPs where you can use all the facilities of the 4 resorts (9 ala cartes, 6 buffets, 3 snack bars, 26 bars, 2 theaters, etc). I do not think we could stay at a smaller resort ever again. The staff was very friendly, gracious and wanted to give you good service (and yes like anywhere, there are the handfuls that do not fit the norm). A few tips here and there also went a long ways for good service and was much appreciated.

We were lucky with the weather, rained the first day and last day, with a couple cloudy days. The first week was not very crowded and had no waits for any of the ala cartes. The second week the resort filled up with hour waits for the ala cartes, but no problem mon with all of the bars around.

The food was very good at both the ala cartes and the buffets. We ate at the El Dorado (Steakhouse), Punta Emilia (Seafood on the beach – incredible atmosphere!), Ribs & More (our favorite!), Portofino (Italian), Mare Nostrum (Mediterranean), and the BEACH BQ (very enjoyable). The buffets did a good job of catering to both the American and European cuisines. Loved the fresh fruit juices (papaya, watermelon, banana, vegetable) and fresh fruit (papaya, pineapple, etc) at the breakfast buffet. At the lunch buffets they had grilling stations with made to order fish (grouper, mahi mahi, salmon - which was delicious!) and meats (pork shop, flank steak, and something else). My only serious complaint for the entire trip was that the ala cartes and buffets were poorly air conditioned. A couple of the ala cartes in White Sands seemed to not have any A/C at all….was told it was broken.

The drinks were very good also. Bartenders had no problem giving a little more alcohol if requested. Favorites were Mojitos, Coco Locos, Ice Bergs (half-glass of cerveza, with a frozen margarita poured on top…also keeps the beer cold!), Blue lagoons and various shots. Make sure you ask for a mini beer shot (was 3/4 amaretto with blended ice & Baileys on top.....looked like a dark beer with a head and was delicious!). I like in Mexico where they use the blenders to make drinks as opposed to the slushy machines. Enjoyed ending the day with a Bailey’s for a nightcap.

I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the entertainment. There were 2 shows every night (9pm Colonial and 10:30 pm Riviera). Most of the shows were great and really enjoyed looking to go to them in the evenings. Some of the acts were of Las Vegas caliper. After the shows the Colonial had some great bands playing (loved Con Classe and B52). We missed the White Party but heard really good reports about it. The lobby’s did have free wifi, but you had to be in the right area to get a decent signal. Due to heavy usage by others there were times you could not get connected. Both Kentenah and White Sands Lobby’s had Banco Santander ATMs for getting Pesos. For Bank of America customers there are no ATM fees for these ATMs (just the standard 1% conversion fee for market rate). Colonial and Riviera had another banks ATM for getting USD.

The Colonial pool was huge but a little bit on the deep side (might consider an inflatable for the next trip). I never made it to the White Sands pool but heard it was 6 inches less. The water temperature one afternoon was 94 degrees…..no shock factor! The POP crew did a great job with lots of stuff around the pool. Enjoyed the trivia contests, tequila tasting, etc in the afternoons. There was also a salt water pool that we never made it too (have to save something for the next trip).

The first week my wife spent the entire time at the SPA. My wife thought the infinity pool was breathtaking and relaxing, giant hot tub, eucalyptus sauna, a lazy river, and the outdoor whirlpools (there were several, very hot & very cold) were quite relaxing. Use of the infinity-pool, sauna, hot-tub, gym is all for free.

The beach was beautiful, although a little rocky in places. There were a couple of good areas for access and swimming. Since we had red flags most of the week (very windy), we were unable to take advantage of the hobie cats, kayaks, paddle boats. Around the swimming area were reefs that were great for snorkeling right off the beach. It was amazing one day to see pelicans diving bombing for fish amongst 300 people swimming in the ocean….not shy of people at all!

We made a evening trip to Coco Bongo which Is a must see if you have never been. It ls a Las Vegas meets Spring Break night club and is definitely for all ages. For $65 a bus picks you up at the Colonial lobby at 9:45 pm, arrive Coco Bongo in Playa Del Carmen 10:30pm, a 4 hour non-stop show starts at 11pm, and the bus leaves at 3:30am to take you back to the resort. The price includes transportation, admission, all your drinks. Our traveling friends who had never been must have taken 100 -200 pictures of the show and it is literally non-stop entertainment!!.

We did day a trip to Xcaret (bought our tickets couple weeks in advance online and saved 10%) and saw the evening show (get the VIP tickets which include lunch and lockers). Took the collective there and a taxi back at the end of the day. Was fun but a very long and tiring day.

We also took the collective to Tulum (very easy to do) walked thru the ruins (takes a couple of hours). Best advice is to go early around 9am before the heat and the bus crowds. We were so glad we did since it was getting crowded by the time we left. From there we went to Akumal to snorkel with the sea turtles (another must do!!). Walking on the way into the town from the Collectivo stop right before the Arch there is a Convenience Store (on the left) that has Coronas for $1.50….can take them out to the beach and enjoy. At the Akumal dive shop for $25 per person they give you lockers (had showers), all snorkel equipment and 1 one hour tour. We saw about 4 turtles up close and personal! The next time I would just rent the equipment and do it on my own….so easy to do!

Did a day shopping trip to Play Del Carmen. My wife and our friend both got great 1 hour massages at this place called Oasis on 5th avenue (south of the Ferry) for $25 each (saw this in another trip advisor post and saved it for my wife). She said it was fabulous and just as good if not better than any massage back home.

If you are looking for a beautiful vacation spot with good food and entertainment, you should definitely consider this one. Yes, there are probably better premium resorts but you cannot beat the value for you money at this one!! I am already looking forward to next year!

Room Tip: Recommend the Colonial since it is centrally located to everything.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
11  Thank Caveman288

Dear Caveman288,

Thank you for your complete review. I appreciate you time and I will share this information with the rest of the team.

Please, don't hesitate to contact with us if you decide visit the hotel in the future.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Just back from spending 2 weeks at the Grand Palladium Colonial and it was excellent. We were going there for my son's wedding and with 27 of us travelling I was sure that not everybody would be happy - however not a complaint between us. We travelled by Thomson's and there was no delay, attentive crew (thanks to David for making announcement on behalf of Captain & crew offering best wishes to my son Paul & partner Ashleigh on their forthcoming wedding). Arrived in Cancun & straight forward transfer to GP Colonial. Arrived to welcome drinks & surprised that the majority of group had been upgraded due to being a wedding party and my partner & I were also sent a gift as it was our 6th anniversary while we were there. Having so many A la carte restaurants and buffets in each area of the hotel, there was always something that you could choose to eat & staff were always smiling and attentive. Really just have to echo comments in previous reviews - adult pool & spa are amazing, beach is excellent, main pool bit busy but fab if you have kids. Resort has won ECO awards and you can understand why - amazing balance of keeping grounds well maintained yet natural looking, and wildlife everywhere. Staff were extremely helpful -(special mention to Vanessa Wedding Co-ordinator and Ricoh who kept our room spotless). The usual reviewers on here will find fault regardless of where they go - complaining about mosquitoes, what can the GP do about that - complaining about a couple of rocks on the beach or Travel Club reps approaching them ( you can say you're not interested and walk on) these complaints are in reality a nonsense and as i will hopefully return to GP, then I will be delighted that these type of people wont be returning there. If you have booked or are considering booking the GP Colonial then you are in for an amazing time - so go & enjoy. Also the previous comments about taking trips using collectivos is correct, extremely helping drivers (despite language barrier) and amazingly cheap, we used them to visit Tulum & Coba and had a great time. I really hope to return soon & enjoy this amazing resort a 2nd time!

5  Thank Paul M

Dear GlasgowScotsman,

In behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to give you thank you for your good comments. I am glad to know that you have had a nice vacation with us.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

Stayed here with grown up family two weeks and I have to say had a very relaxing holiday, My first impression was not very good, Probably not helped by a flight delay from the UK, Being accosted by a travel club salesman prior to check in and a not very helpful receptionist only to be taken to what appeared to be a dark room which was ours for two weeks with no instruction on how things work or where we could eat. Decided to go to the main buffet for dinner as it was late and it was awful,
didnt panic had a couple of drinks and thought we would consider our options in the morning, And thats the worst part out of the way,
Whilst its only my opinion this is definatley not a five star resort as it advertises, it is a 4 star family resort and I would not reccomend it as a couples retreat, Far too many children and we went out of the UK school holidays.
As the Title suggests we were delighted to be put in the Colonial its more central than the Kantenah which is a long way from the White Sands where we spent a lot of time, Thats where the late show was and most folk gather there after 10pm.
We tried every resturant except the Mexican and thought the choice was the best we have found anywhere, The Sumpturi took some booking but got there eventually, Beach was very nice pools are excellent and the Spa was good, The only issue we had with mossies was at the Spa.
Our room was kept spotless by Anna Marie and the staff member with the biggest smile was Teresa in the White Sands Buffet.
This was our 5th trip visit to Mexico and I cant say that I am planning to return again soon, Playa Del Carmen has got tacky and not very nice and once you have seen the major attractions there areonly the beaches and I do think there are nicer places to see, However if I was looking for a hassle free holiday with not much expense I would go back to the Palladium as opposed to say the Riu in Playa this is much better.

5  Thank Startrekers

Dear Startrekers,

Thank you for your time and for share with us your comments.

Please, if we can help you with anything, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

Got back yesterday morning and wanted to write a review as soon as possible. Flew with Thomson/first choice and have gotta say everything was fine. I mean, who goes on a 10 hour flight and expects to have a good time? The flights are flights, long an dull but gotta be done. There was a decent amount of films on and the food was pretty nice.
Cancun airport was a bit hectic I felt we weren't really told enough about the process of boarding our coach. We wrote out a visa on the plane and then had to write another declaration slip at the airport but we weren't told this until a guy wouldn't let us go any further so we had to go back to fill it out. But, not gonna ruin your holiday just a little annoying.
A warning when you are heading for your coach there are so many guys all in shirts shouting 'Thomson, first choice, British airways, dont be fooled. Your guys can only pick you up outside the airport and will be in a tshirt with your logo on it or have a bit of card with the logo on. We just carried on walking through them but a few people seemed to fall for it!
Arriving at the hotel was a breeze we had a fruity welcome drink which was very welcome after the wall of heat that hit us ha ha. (Mexico is hot!!!!!!!) we were taken to our room, told some info and we were off!
Food at the hotel is nothing short of amazing I don't see how anyone can say anything bad about it. If you don't like something go and get yourself something else instead of kicking off and moaning about it, had breakfast and lunch at colonial buffet every day and were not dissappinted once.
Our fav al a cartes were ribs and
More, Brazilian and steak house. Everything else was good but these stood out!
Beach was flawless, yes there's a few rocks here and there but unless your blind there really is no reason you can't just step over and negotiate them.
Only went in the main pool once as was quite loud, but this is where everything is happening all the entertainment and stuff, which is brill if that's the sort of holiday your after.
Adult pools are bliss so peaceful and drinks on hand, place to be for us!
The spa was AMAZING and an absolute must! So so lovely and relaxing we went every day because we loved it so much.
We went on 3 booked excersions chichen itza, Cuba ruins and Sian kaan. All were brill and a must. You NEED to visit some of the history, if you wanted just a pool holiday go to Spain!
We went off the resort on our own 3 times and used collectivos there and back each time. There like buses that travel up and down the country all you do it stand and wait at the big yellow bus stop and they will flash you and stop for you. If your unsure about how to do it ask your rep and they'll tell you more info. It really was perfectly safe and cost 20 pesos each where as a taxi to the same place was 370! Big difference!
Akumul and tulum were brill!
All in all had an incredible holiday and wouldn't hesitate to go back, truly had a fantastic time. Thank you grand palladium and Thomson!

• Stayed: July 2012
5  Thank LindseyOwen

Dear LindseyOwen,

Thank you so much for your good comments. It's a pleasure to know that you have had a great time with us.

Resident Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#44 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

Been to Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!