“Best Ever”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Best Ever”
Reviewed May 24, 2011

Just returned from a 2 week break in the Palladium Resort, a cannot recommend it highly enough. from the moment we arrived until we left the staff could not have been better, from the cleaners , bar staff, restaurant staff & any management we spoke to they were pleasant attentive and nothing was a problem. the 8 Al a Carte restaurants & 4 buffet restaurant were all great ( Japanese was our Fav ) we tried may cocktails which were expertly mixed by all the bar staff, the pools are fantastic & the beach is excellent, the wildlife around the resort is also amazing from Coatis, Racoons, Flamingoes , and our friends the Iguanas who would come and lay under your sunbed by the pool. but don't just stay in the resort, we done a day out to Chichen Itza , and also visited Tulum & Xel Ha. our guide on the trip to Chichen Itza was Fantastic a big up to Victor. so do yourselves a big favour go to mexico and you cannot go wrong by staying at the Grand Palladium Resort

5 Thank zola149
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 25, 2011
Dear zola149,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write on Trip Advisor about your experience regarding your recent visit to Grand Palladium Resort & Spa, and also for the good comments about our service and hotel facilities.

Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service and our facilities.

Best regards,

Banesa Maria Burque
Gerente Residente
dtor.colonialkantenah@fiestahotelgroup.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,007)
  • Polish first
Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 22, 2011

Just returned from our 3rd stay at Grand Palladium Colonial resort in Mexico. Excellent trip - the resort gets more beautiful each time! Some ask why we keep returning & why not try some place new. It's because we love the resort and it's a great deal for the money! We stayed in the Colonial section - villa 8 - which is a great location - very central to beach, pools, and lobbies, etc. We booked a regular room - but were given a free upgrade to a jr. suite because of being repeat customers! The rooms are large and very comfortable and very quiet. Sure there are a few things that could be upgraded - sofa couch for one - but we never even used it. Some say the beds are hard and pillows awful - we thought just the opposite - slept better than at home! Maid service great - different towel art each day. Spent most of our beach time at the far north end of resort - better snorkeling. (near section for royal suites guests) Saw lots of fish, a sting ray and many others. Go out to the ropes, and go about 3 feet beyond ropes in the middle - nice things to see. I'm a beginner snorkeler and didn't have any trouble getting out there.
Enjoyed lunch every day at the lunch place by the wedding gazebo - what a beautiful place to sit and have lunch! Order off the menu - food and service great! Mostly went to the White Sands Pool - nicer pool - not as deep - and much quieter and less crowded.
Make sure to get delicious hard ice cream at the bar by the pool. Mostly ate breakfast and dinners at the buffet in the Riviera section - there again much less crowded. We always found something to enjoy and new to try. Also ate at 3 different a la carte restaurants: El Dorado (steak house) , Rodizio (brazilian), and Portofino (Italian). The steak house was excellent - and that's coming from someone who raises their own beef!
Rodizio - very good - no menu - they serve 8 different meats on skewers. Liked Portofino the least - would rate it just good. Saw lots of animals around the resort. Had read that the coatamundi's had been rounded up and taken away from the resort. Well they weren't near the colonial buffet as had been - but saw many of them elsewhere. Lots of lizards, iguanas, hairless rabbit type animals, raccoons, many birds, etc. The natural wildlife is one of the reasons we love it there. Also the jungle/mangrove feel is great. We don't take the train or carts anywhere - to us this resort is very walkable and we enjoy taken different paths everywhere. You may not want to where heels though! Flew in on a Saturday afternoon - and yes the Cancun airport was a zoo - but you're on vacation - so just relax and don't stress. This resort is about 1 hr. 15 min. away from the resort. - just depends how many stops at other resorts you may have on your transfer. We met a lot of people from all around the world. Most all the people who work there can speak many languages - we speak English and didn't have any trouble communicating. Many people were using the paddle boats, kayaks, catamarans, par a sailing, etc. throughout the beginning of the week - got too windy later in week. The segway tours looked like fun - they even came down on the beach. We went to the spa and did all the free things available to guests. Very relaxing. There is also miniature golf, soccer field, basketball, pingpong, shuffle board, etc. Stopped in the sports bar several evenings so hubby could catch up on sporting events. Nice menu there too and fun things to do. There are computers in there that you can pay and use. Took a boat ride around the lagoon in the White Sands area. As you can see there is plenty to do. We never left the resort in 7 days! We highly recommend this resort. Don't understand those that give poor reviews - must be VERY PICKY! I am picky about cleanliness, etc. and I am more than happy there each and every time! Have checked out other resorts on line - and for the money and quality you can't beat Palladium! Any questions feel free to contact. Go and enjoy!

2 Thank oceanloverPA_7
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 30, 2011
Dear oceanloverPA_7,

First of all, we would like to thank you for your feedback. I am glad to see that you have had again a beautiful experience with us.

We try every day for improve our service and facilities and the comments from our guest are very important for us.

Thanks again and, if you decide to come back again or if there is anything else we can do for you, please, do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards from Grand Palladium Team.

Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2011

We had a fantastic holiday here last year and I would thoroughly recommend Mexico to anyone. The hotel's swimming pools were fantastic, huge and plenty to choose from. Food was also good. Breakfast offered a massive variety and even champagne was available! The restaurants are also nice and after days of paying extra for a decent dry White wine, I discovered their house White was just as nice! The all inclusive deal is also never ending in this hotel. Apart from the nightclub, absolutely everything is included abd the beach bar stayed open serving food and drink for what seemed like 24 hours!
The majority of the the staff were very friendly, especially the bar staff and the service in this hotel is good. The spa area was also very nice. We enjoyed visiting the spa most days at about 5, where we would relax in the jacuzzi and pool before getting ready for dinner.
The only thing that would stop us from rebooking this hotel would be the location. If you are quite happy and content with staying within your resort for your whole holiday, you will love it here - for us, we like to walk around shops and venture out. Apart from playa del carmen (which is a ten minute taxi drive), it really is in the middle of nowhere. We went into Cancun a few times and we LOVED it there. When we return to Mexico we will deffinatley stay there, as it has fabulous shops and restaurants and a great American feel to it.

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank LucySteve2010
Thank you LucySteve2010 for your comments. All comments are help for us for improve our service every day.

Please, don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything....or if you decide to visit us in the future.

Cordially,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 20, 2011

Hi there

Well where to start. Let’s just say that for a week I forgot what a cloud looked like and there was only lots of sun. This was my second time going to this resort from May 06 2011 to the 13. The first time was in September 2010. I had booked my trip with Transat holidays already there everything went well and since I work at Toronto’s Pearson International Airport I got a slight discount. A few weeks before leave for my trip I had emailed the manager and front desk manager saying that I was going again and was going to bring other five friends with me. He/She responded to my email within I think not even 30min saying that they would me honored to host my again and for my loyalty based n availability the could be a possibility the I would receive a free room upgrade from a normal suite to a junior suite. This already made me happy and mad me understand the professionalism and great customer service that people here offer. The day that I arrived at the resort and went to check-in as soon as I gave the receptionist my hotel voucher and read my name and looked it up on the computer there was a note by one of the two managers say that I had received a room upgrade but not only me but also my other five friends which was great and wonderful we were all so happy to hear that. My friends were given the usual purple wristband “which means first timers” and they had my name on file from the last time and I was given the red wristband “meaning second timer and sort of a VIP”. Just like last time the check-in was fast and all the people there with a smile and a HUGE warm welcome. As soon as you’re checked in the bellboy brings you to you and your luggage with cart throughout the massive complex to your villa/room. After settling, unpacking and putting some of our valuables in the in room safe “example passports, money, wallets” I hear a knock on the door and they had sent me a fruit basket, robe, slippers and a letter from management say thank you for choosing your stay with us again ecc. I and one of my friends were in villa number 20 which is close to the pool, beach and the colonial lobby. My other friends were on the other side of the resort in villa 48, yes we were a bit far a way for each other but hey we got a free room upgrade you can’t have the cake and eat it too. I was more the fine with me because we would just call each other with the in room phones. Every room comes with it’s own mini fridge which gets restocked everyday with 4 bottles of 1l water, 2 bottles of Pepsi, 2 of 7up, 2 of knockoff local C plus called Mirinda, 2 bottles of Sol beer and 2 bottles of Superior beer. Now I’m from an Italian background and well us Italian we always have to find something to complain about or have to find something wrong with a place if it’s not Italy and I’m also a very picky person myself. I could not find one single thing bad about it; I think it’s easier to find a needle in a haystack then to find something bad about this resort. Please don’t listen to the bad things that some people wrote about because with all my hard I can say it’s not true. I was reading some of the bad comments about the food, the resort being too big ecc. I don’t know hoe some people can say that the food is bad her because it’s GREAT!!! Everything is so fresh from the en la carts to the buffet. If you go to the buffet you will notices just like I did that if a dish stays there for more the like 15 min it gets changed with a fresh one even if it hasn’t been touched and every night there is a different theme like Italian, Mexican, Spanish, Asian and others. The whole resort is Super clean from the rooms, the lobbies, the grounds, the pool, the beach “yes by the shore there might be some little rocks and little pieces of coral but well what did you expect there to be”, even the washrooms in the whole resort are very clean, when you walk in to one it doesn’t even smell like a public washroom it smells more like a perfume shop. The whole resort has all the floors made out of marble from the lobbies, the rooms and the restaurants. Towards the resort being big well of course it is, it has so many villas, a SPA, gym, sports courts, shooting range, disco, kids club, salt water pool, enormous pools, various activity centers, shops, and the four main lobbies so one cant complain about it it’s size because if it was too small I’m sure someone would complain about that too, to go around if you don’t like walking throughout the beautiful paths and see some harmless wildlife “like iguanas and other local fauna” then just take the train from one lobby to the other. All the staff there are so nice the bartenders, the maids, waiters, and the people from the front desk if you have any problems and need anything they are more then happy to help so please TIP them don’t be cheap trust me you don’t want to know what a low salary they get for how hard they work and I don’t know how they do it but they never seem tiered so every tip counts and if you know some Spanish like I do well you can even start a conversation with your bartender and make a new friend but even if you don’t speak Spanish there pretty good with there English and you can talk to everybody and everybody will understand you. I dare you to ask your bartender to make you something nice, they’ll make you some drinks that are just amazing!!! Now if you would like a suggestion for tipping like I said I work at the airport in Toronto for a currency exchange company, please when going to Mexico don’t bring the usual US dollars because it makes you stand out even more that you a tourist stick to the local currency which is the Mexican peso (code name MXN ) things will be cheaper if you pay with them because the mercent will “screw” you up on the exchange rate if you pay in US dollars, Canadian dollars, Euros or British pounds which are the most accepted around the world. Going back to the tipping a good tip to bartender or maid is a 20 MXN bill which is about 1.63 CAD or 1.57 USD don’t use the usual 1 USD bill because they have to exchange that and ant the end between fees and lousy exchange rates the barely get anything out of it and buy giving them a 20 MXN you make them feel extra special and if they to a very good job give them a 50 MXN that will but an even bigger smile on the face please don’t tip the with foreign coins because there banks won’t take them not even our banks take some foreign coin ONLY BILLS. The resort every night has different shows in the various lobbies I highly suggest you watch them there very nice and the entertainment team is wonderful. Another suggestion is at some point go outside the resort and visit the one of the nearby towns called Playa Del Carmen there you can find many shops and restaurants at good prices and if you’re a party animal and what to have some night life fun GO to the Coco Bongo Club trust me you’ll have a hell of a time and you call also book this at one of the booths by the Colonial pool at the resort. To go to Playa Del Carmen you can take a taxi or the local bus called a colletivo for just 25 pesos and it about 20 away from the resort. Another town you can visit is Tulum where the famous Mayan ruins are located or if you would like to visit a nice sort of a theme park near the resort were you can go even snorkeling and at the end of the day they do a beautiful show about Mexican history and culture I highly recommend it, it’s called Xcaret. One more thing I would like to say about a comment the I reed about the resort on something’s going missing in the rooms now I don’t know if it’s true or not but I think it’s just some stuff made up, from what I can say is that from my two times that I have gone NOTHING has been ever stolen from me I always leave my laptop, extra cell phone, money and ecc and I have always found everything in the same spot were I left if, actually the last time I went I had left about 600 pesos in the pocket of my jeans which I had thrown on the sofa when I came back to my room and the maid had cleaned it the jeans were folded up neatly on my bed with the same amount of cash in my pocket. Sorry everybody about the long review but I just had to write these thing even though I’m pretty sure I must of left something out, I hope you will enjoy your stay here and VIVA PALLADIUM and VIVA MEXICO and if you have any questions about this place feel free to email me at raffaele.ferrara@hotmail.ca

Ps. Go easy on the cerveza and the tequila lol.

7 Thank Raffaele F
Dear Raffaele,

On behalf of the Grand Palladium team, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your comments following your stay with us.

I appreciate your positive notes about the hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the room, the villa and other facilities.

We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.

Regards from Riviera Maya..

Prospect, Canada
Reviewed May 20, 2011

We stayed at this resort from May 7-14. The drive from the airport is a bit long, about 1.5 hours, but so worth it! The resort is gorgeous as the other 2 are that are a trolley ride away.You have access to all of the bars and restaurants in all 3 resorts. It's so nice that you don't have to wait in a line up to make reservations for them too.Just show up! I advise getting there around 6:30 or so to make sure you don't have to wait.

Rooms: Very clean and no sign of bugs...anywhere! Lots of iguanas around but no mosquitos or other insects. The first night our fridge was stocked with a lot of half full bottles of water and pop....about 7 of them. I found that strange and told one of the workers. It was replenished later that evening. The same thing happened to friends that were travelling with us. The beds are hard but I prefer that so it was a great sleep for me. There is also a pillow menu with a lot of selections but a fee for each night you use one.
The shower doesnt have a fully closing door so quite a bit of water runs out onto the floor.

Food: Not bad. The buffets are excellent! I like that they have automatic sliding doors in the food area to keep birds/insects out. The Mexican was good but bland...I make better fajitas. The Ridizzo was very good with every kind of meat you can try! The Italian was also good but also bland.

The staff: The staff were very friendly, and some were a bit standoffish...but you can get the same mix at home. Most knew where we were from and had been to various parts of Canada. THey were always putting on entertaining and fun activities throughout the day.

Entertainment: Awesome! I've been to a lot of resorts before and never cared much for the entertainment but the ones here were creative, engaging and great to watch. A band also played in the lobby bar every night. they were really good and got us up dancing more than one night.

The beach: ......is amazing!!!!! One of my favorite beaches yet! We never had to get up at the crack of dawn to get a chair either...there are plenty to go around. The pools were also awesome! Large pool and close to the buffet.

Spa: I didn't get to go..mostly because I was enjoying everything else there too much but heard it is well worth it!

Like most resorts...if you don't like to walk, I don't recommend going. I found it a bit tiring but still worth it.

Looking forward to returning some day!

3 Thank eeka24
Dear eeka24,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write on Trip Advisor about your experience regarding your visit to Grand Palladium Resot & Spa, and also for the good comments about our service and hotel facilities.

Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve both our service and our product.

Pittsburgh
Reviewed May 18, 2011

We met up with 5 couples and in general we had a great time. The resort was very clean food was good. Ala cart restaurants were very nice. Pool was clean Beach is large and you could snorkel off shore. Entertainment was provided all day. Our room in building 1 was very nice. I do not think the resort was booked because there was no need to save lounge chairs. We got out to the pool around 8:00 every day and there was never a problem finding a shaded lounge chair, We also used their laundry service that was cheap and efficient $12.00 for 8 items. And we also purchased a birthday cake for a friend’s birthday for $22.00. We got the one for 6-8 people, it fed 10 of us and there was plenty left over.
All resorts have their pluses and minuses. The lack of service was amazing to me. It was definitely a do it yourself vacation. There is no cocktail service at the pool or the beach. Every time you needed a drink you had to go to the bar yourself. I suggest bringing a travel mug because if not you will make many trips with them using 8 oz plastic cups to serve drinks. The pool in the Colonial is mostly 5’4”. Make sure you bring a pool float if you plan on spending time in the pool. All ala cart restaurants require men to wear long pants. There are 8 ala carts. Other resorts we have been to only required long pants in a few of the ala carts and the rest you could wear shorts. I feel they need to lighten up on these restrictions, my husband was not happy wearing long pants 7 evening in a row on vacation. There is also no room services. Understandable with the layout of the resort.
It is a large resort so be prepared to do some walking. Depending on where they put you it could be a long walk to the pool and beach or a long walk to the restaurants. Somehow this paid off because my weight gain was less than expected.
With that said, if a bunch of friends were planning a trip here and asked us to go, we would go back.

3 Thank Teenie61
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 20, 2011
Dear Teenie61,

First of all, we would like to thank you for your feedback about your holidays in the Grand Palladium.

If you decide to come back again or if there is anything else we can do for you, please, do not hesitate to contact us directly.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed May 17, 2011

My husband and I travelled to the Palladium Colonial the 2 first weeks of May. We flew with Air Transat from Montreal. The transfer from the airport was fairly long (about 2 hours), but once we arrived at the hotel, registration was fast and efficient and we were taken to our rooms almost right away.

Room: We had a junior suite in building 21, which was close to everything and yet very quiet. The room was nice, well appointed,with a large balcony and a confortable seating area. It was not very new, but it was spotless and pretty much everything (AC, TV remote, coffee maker, shower, fan etc) worked perfectly well. The only downsides that I can think of were the pillows which were too big and too hard and the somewhat lazy fridge which was never quite cold. Even then, you had the choice to change pillows for a minimal fee and there was an ice machine in every building, so you could cool your beer or water very easily.

Maid service and cleaning staff: IMPECCABLE.

Grounds: very large resort made up of 5 different hotel sections. It is huge, but once you know your way it is very manageable. Once in a while, when we had to go to the other end of the resort we took the trolley, but mostly we walked and it was fine with us. The property is very green, with a lot of vegetation and many trees. The beach is also lined with many palm trees and they have installed a fair amount of palapas so it was quite easy to find beach chairs in the shade or in the sun.

Swimming pools: 2 very large ones (1 between the Kantenah and the Colonial, and another one between the Riviera and the White Sands). Lots of chairs and washrooms and bars were close by. There were also a few smaller pools for adults only. These were quieter and charming. They also had more confortable (softer) chairs which were very nice for naps. Since these pools were smaller there was not always space but we did managed to go there a few times and it was very pleasant. There was also a beautiful pool at the spa.

SPA: ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS. Even though we did not use the spa, we used the gym and the swimming pool 4 or 5 times and it was great. The gym is well equipped and the swimming pool is quiet and large. There are various cold, warm and hot baths, jaccuzis a steam room and a sauna. The whole spa area is beautiful.

Beach: the beach was quite nice and as I said before, there was some shade and a pretty constant breeze which made it quite confortable. The widest and nicest part of the beach was in front of the Colonial and the Kantenah. Further south (going to the Riviera), there is no beach to speak of, however, there a little reef where you can snorkle and see some nice fish. There is also a sea water pool on that side, but we did not use it.

Restaurants: in this huge resort, there was a very large choice of restaurants.You could eat just about anywhere no matter where you stayed (except for a few restaurants in the Royal section).
For breakfast, we pretty much always went to the Hacienda, which was the main buffet for the Colonial. There was a huge choice of food and I was perfectly happy with it.
For lunch, there were various options: there was a small bar near the beach where you could have a limited choice of food like hamburgers, hot dogs and quesadillas. We did not go very often, but it looked ok. A little further, near the pool, there was another bar/restaurant called the Grand Azul. This is where we ate most of our lunches. There was always a choice of a few soups, a few main meat plates, a paella, a choice of 3 or 4 fresh fish, some pasta, plus the usual `american corner` (hot dogs and hamburgers) along with a decent choice of salads, vegetable, fruit, cheese,deserts and ice cream. Again it was certainly plentiful and varied enough for me. On a few occasions we went to the main buffet, where the selection was even larger.

For supper: Basically there was a huge selection everyday, and it was quite good. But also, every night there was a different theme (like asian or mexican) , so a section of the buffet would have food around that theme. Of course if we did not like that part of the buffet, there was plenty in the rest of the buffet to satisfy us. We ate in the main buffet about 5 nights out of our 13 days stay and on the other nights we went to the specialty restaurants.

In the specialty restaurants: there were no reservations and it was first come first serve, which generally worked out fine for us. Our longuest wait was for the Sumptuari (?), where we waited about 45 minutes because we wanted to sit at the show table and not a regular table. It was worth the wait. The cook was quite a showman and the food excellent. We also really enjoyed the Portofino (Italian), the Mare Nostrum (Mediteranean) and El Dorado (Grill). We also went to Ribs`n more and Bamboo (Asian) which were also fine, although we prefered the others . Service was good in all restaurants and the staff always pleasant and efficient.

Our one complaint about the restaurants in general is the wine. We like wine and the house wine was quite below the standards of the rest of the hotel. They had a wine carte, so we did get a decent bottle on a few occasions (count around $30USD), but this is a bit unfortunate since we like to have just a glass at lunchtime and we had to settle for beer instead (not as much fun).

Bars: The bars were numerous and generally the drinks were fine. (we are not big drinkers, wine is more our thing). However we did go quite a few times to the Hemmingway for an apero or a digestive. They had Grand Marnier, Chivas, Cognac, Amaretto, Grappa, etc, so it was a pleasant surprise. They also had a very nice pianist, a library and card tables. The staff were absolutely great. Thank you Jacinto, Santiago, Victor, Gracias

Activities and entertainment: We did not participate in many activities or go to shows. We played the occasional volley-ball game and the animators (POP-People of the Palladium) were very nice. We saw people doing water exercises and everybody (no matter what age) seemed to enjoy themselves greatly. We saw the end of a few shows, but never got on time to see an entire one. So it is difficult for us to comment on this topic

Our final words: it was a great resort with great people and a beautiful setting. We enjoyed it tremendously and will certainly be back.

3 Thank unseulsoleil
Dear unseulsoleil,

Thank you for sharing your special experience with us. It was an honor to be a part of this wonderful occasion and I will share your kind comments with our staff as they strive daily to exceed the expectations of our guests.

Please, don't hesitate to contact with us if you decide to visit us in the future.

Regards from Riviera Maya.

dtor.colonialkantenah@fiestahotelgroup.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
#51 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!