All reviews half moon bay yal ku lagoon buena vida bedroom condo coffee maker daily maid service dive shop la buena akumal dive three bedroom purified water small room convenience store minute walk sound of the waves full kitchen queen bed
Reviewed February 12, 2009

My boyfriend and I spent 4 nights in the Vista Del Mar. Akumal is lovely and so is the hotel. We loved the view from room #205 and wish we would have stayed longer. We especially appreciated the 2 Ocean Dives we went on with Akumal Dive Adventures. Jose is a excellent Dive Master he is some how at the same time completely laid back yet attentive to everything going on and Lupe the boat captain was great too. We also enjoyed our Cenotes Dives with Marcos, it seemed intimidating at first and I had some problems with my ears on the second dive but he was very patient with me and I was able to enjoy the whole experience (though I will NEVER enjoy pulling on a wet suit! No ones fault I just hate it). We went to La Buena Vida Restauran all 4 nights at least for a little while. We enjoyed some good appetizers and you can’t beat the happy hour specials! All 3 of the places I mentioned you can walk to within a couple of minutes.

1  Thank Mary M
Reviewed February 10, 2009

Vista del Mar is the perfect blend between economy condos and luxury beach privacy. We rented a 3 bedroom/3 bath condo on the top floor and couldn't have asked for more. The staff was extremely friendly and helped us with needs big and small.

Very fresh and clean, maid service daily, our own kitchen with ample cookware, fresh jugs of drinking water (water cooler style) as needed, bike rentals, and never more than 4 or 5 people on our beach (there is a private space on the beach reserved for this hotel/condo). The view is absolutely incredible and the whole area is quiet and "off the beaten path."

The local restaurant, La Buena Vida, owned by the same people has wonderful affordable food if you don't want to cook.

I hate to get the word out about this place because we enjoyed having it be so quiet, but I want this place to flourish and stay around. We'll definitely be going back next year, no doubts!

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank kamiak00
Reviewed January 28, 2009

My husband and I had such a great time in Akumal during a snorkeling tour few years ago, that I thought I'd surprise him with a quick 3 night getaway this past weekend. We had a wonderful time and found that Vista del Mar fit all our needs quite well.

I'm giving VDM a 4 rating based on its 3 star status. This is not the Ritz, but if you're looking for a clean room or small condo located directly on the beach, steps from a great snorkeling spot, then this IS the place for you.

We were given room #8, which is a large studio condo on the 3rd floor. The kitchenette contained a microwave, small fridge, blender, coffee maker, a full water cooler, dishes, and toaster. The sink fixtures are in desperate need of updating, but everything worked fine.

The bedroom was very large and the king sized bed quite comfy. If you demand high thread count sheets, you might want to bring your own, or consider another spot.

I recommend bringing a couple of candles, because there is a kind of sulphery odor that comes from the bathroom. The day of our arrival it was quite bad; we loved the location of the room and our balcony so much, that we hated to complain and end up in a room that wasn't as nice...such a dilemma. Plus, I hate the stress of complaining when I'm on vacation, especially such a short one. However, the second day, the maid saved the day by using some sort of cleaner that virtually eliminated the smell (she also closed the bathroom door, which I believe helped a bit.).

The massive bathroom contained a double sink, a huge double jacuzzi tub with shower, and a toilet with part of the tag still attached (odd). Please note, that there is not a hair dryer, so if you need one, bring one.
The view from the shower is absolutely amazing, as it has a big double window (the width and almost the height of a sliding glass door) that opens up onto the balcony and looks out onto Half Moon Bay. The window is tinted, so chances are, any kayakers or others out in the water would not be able to see you, but, if you have privacy issues, the bath in Room #8 might not be for you... we LOVED it!

The first night, the water virtually trickled out of the shower head. I was in such desperate need of a shower that I did what I could and washed my hair in the kitchen sink. The next morning, dear hubby got up and scraped the hard water build-up off of the shower head and it worked like a charm - my Hero!
The bathroom fixtures, like those in the kitchen need to be replaced, but they work, and the towels were a bit gray, but clean. Given the condition of the fixtures and the dingy towels, I have to wonder if the local water takes its toll on such things.
The maids to an outstanding jobs getting everything as clean as possible!

Room #8 has the most amazing balcony, if you can call it that...it's gigantic! You could easily fit 10 people on it, though I'm sure management would discourage it. :-) We set up the hammock that they supply and spent a lot of time staring out over the pristine bay and palm trees. The water is incredibly clear and Half Moon Bay is so beautiful.

Just south of the condos is La Buena Vida, a great little bar with friendly bartenders, great drinks, and decent food. North of Vista del Mar is La Lunita restaurant - a romantic spot when it's warm, because they have tables set up in the sand. The evening we went, we and another couple found that, for no apparent reason, the service was very rushed, but the food was good. Excellent flan.

From Vista del Mar you can walk south to the Akumal Bay area where there is a great beach and a few restaurants.

We loved the people in Akumal and the relaxed, casual atmosphere. Hopefully Vista del Mar will update just a bit, because we'd LOVE to return.

4  Thank pbjandthou
Reviewed January 20, 2009

We stayed 2 nights at the Vista del Mar Hotel and wished we had stayed longer! This was our first visit to Akumal and we were pleasantly suprised. We were warmly welcomed by staff when we arrived. Our second floor room was small but cheerful, and we had everything we needed with a TV, coffee maker, mini-fridge, drinking water, and a safe. The bed was extremely comfortable due to a thick layer of foam padding that had been added on top of the mattress. And yes, the bathroom smelled quite bad when we arrived, but as soon as we opened the windows and got the air circulating it wasn't so bad. You will find odorous bathrooms in most beach front hotels in the area - its just the nature of the eco-sewer system. Nothing to complain about when you're in paradise! Half Moon bay is a great place to snorkel - we pretty much snorkeled the entire bay over one day. We rented our snorkel gear at the dive shop next door for 100 pesos/day. The beach is rocky but we just walked into the water backwards with our fins on. Its a very up close and personal experience as they bay is fairly shallow and it is full of coral and sea life - and we saw two turtles! Akumal Bay is also nice to snorkel in, you are pretty much guaranteed to see huge turtles in the sea grass and we also saw sting rays and barracudas! The beach on Akumal Bay is nicer for hanging out and beach walking. The town itself is very small yet eco-friendly, charming, and easy to get around. The distance between Half Moon and Akumal Bays was much shorter than it appeared - it was an easy 10-15 minute walk (or 2 minute drive) from Half Moon Bay into town - though you can also rent bikes at the hotel or golf carts in town for alternative methods of transportation. But we were just fine with walking! I think we had our best meal of the trip at La Lunita on Half Moon Bay, and I had the best Huevos Rancheros ever at Lo Ha Restaurant on Akumal Bay. All in all we had a great time in Akumal, and Vista del Mar made it affordable and comfortable! I would go back in a heart beat!

4  Thank slickvick
Reviewed January 5, 2009

This was an absolutely perfect place to relax on the beach with family, and an excellent value for a small group.

7 of us (4 adults, 3 kids) were in a ground floor 3 bedroom condo. Each bedroom had its own bathroom, and there was a safe in one of the rooms. The kitchen was well equipped with a stove, basic pots/pans, microwave, and fridge/freezer.

The ground floor was excellent for a family, as the kids could play on the beach in easy view of the kitchen or living room. We never had to pack a beach bag as we were always within steps of our extra sunscreen, books, cold drinks, a change of clothes or towels inside the condo.

The town of Akumal is an easy 15 minute walk away, as was Yal-ku lagoon. There are 2 corner stores within about 100 metres.

We also snorkeled right in front of the condo, and in some sections further north on Half Moon bay. The bottom is very rocky and full of coral in the whole Half Moon bay area- if we weren't in our fins we all wore sandals or flip flops for wading.

I really liked where they spent the money on these units- no telephones in the units and only a few channels on TV, but the towels were huge and thick, and there was plenty of hot water with good water pressure. The beds and bedding were clean and good quality.

The condo was very well cleaned and fresh, and there were no musty smells in the furniture or bedding that is common in humid tropical places.

The front desk was helpful- when we arrived, one of the toilets was not working properly and it was fixed very promptly. They also helped us arrange a reasonably priced private van to take us to Playa del Carmen for the next part of our trip.

Date of stay: December 2008
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank bcBEZ