All reviewshalf moon bayyal ku lagoonbuena vidabedroom condocoffee makerdaily maid servicedive shopla buenathree bedroompurified watersmall refrigeratorminute walksound of the wavesfull kitchenqueen bedfishakumal beach
Reviewed July 17, 2008

I used to go to Cancun and thought that it was the place to be, but once I rolled into Akumal (about an hour and a half south) I found my new "home away from home".I always stay at Vista Del Mar , sometimes in the awesome condo's, other times in a small but nice hotel room. Both are right on the beach , and the beautiful Half Moon Bay. The La Buena Vida is my favorite bar in the world, with it's swings, hammocks and sculptures. The bartenders are nice and the food is excellent. I'm going back for the Halloween Party!
Tom in Denver

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
3  Thank Roadrunnerbeep
Reviewed July 17, 2008

We had a GREAT stay at Vista Del Mar from June 30th - July 5th! The hotel is cozy and clean with an ice cold air conditioner which we used only in the daytime because the nights were great for letting the ocean breeze (30 feet away) blow through. The staff was helpful and friendly as usual. Thanks for a great Stay!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 8, 2008

We have just returned from two weeks at the Vista Del Mar in Akumal (23rd March to 6th April). We booked through Akumalinfo.com in january and we have visited Akumal previously, but stayed in Cancun. We loved the hotel- the location, right on the beach, the fridge (we had our breakfast and lunch on the patio), the supply of purified water, the coffee machine, the air con was efficient and the ceiling fan good at night. We were in room 105 which was on the ground floor and opened right onto the beach.

It was great to be able to snorkel right outside the hotel- the coral garden was good and we saw lots of fish,two stingrays and Barracuda. We hired bikes (the hotel did not have any when we wanted them so we went to Akumal Tours in the village) to get into the village and to the Yal ku lagoon. We snorkelled off the beach in Akumal Bay and the highlight on two days was seeing at least two different species of turtle, green and either Hawksbill or Loggerhead, not sure which. Some were huge with fish on their backs. Snorkelling in the lagoon was good. we saw some giant parrot fish, blue tangs, angel fish etc.

In the evening we tried each of the restaurants in the town, and La Lunita, Buena Vida and Que Onda.Our favourite by far was the Cueva Del Pescador. Although I do not like fish, the fajitas here were great and very reasonable at 90 Pesos and the basket of nachos and salsa we were given with drinks was lovely. We also liked the Loncheria for breakfast and lunch and the buffet at Imeldas was good value at $20. We did not enjoy the food at the Buena Vida or Que Onda and felt they were not good value for money.

In the middle of our vacation, we had arranged a two night trip to Tikal in Guatemala through Belize.explorer.com flying from cancun airport. Although this was expensive, we felt it was worth it. Tikal was amazing- the biggest Mayan site and set in the jungle surrounded by monkeys, coati and lots of tropical birds.We have previously visited Chichen Itza and Coba and wanted to do something a bit different.

We had a fantastic holiday and are now back in cold, wet England. We would definitely stay at the vista Del Mar again. It was so much quieter than Cancun and has everything we enjoy on holiday.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lucycorn
Reviewed March 29, 2008

I rented rooms 101 & 201 for 2 nights. I enjoyed my stay in Akumal very much. The hotel was OK but the location was fantastic.

I reserved the rooms by calling a telephone number in Sante Fe. I got a quick response to my e-mail inquiring about rooms. I did have to provide credit card information to them and the full cost of my stay was charged to my credit card before I arrived. No problem.

The bay the hotel is located on is nice. No big hotels.....mostly condos. Not very busy. Parking is free.....right on the street in front of the hotel. Low traffic area ....I did not have a concern about leaving my rental car there. The hotel itself is on the one road going through the tourist area and down the road 1 mile or so. The hotel is right on the road.

The Vista del Mar is a 10 minute walk to the tourist shops/restaurants in Akumal. A pleasant walk.

The rooms:
Room 101: 30-40 yards from the water with beach lounge chairs right outside under shade coverings. It was a great place to relax. Overhead fan didn't work. This might cause some concern during the summer. Small refrigerator. Plenty of hot water. Basic room. Tile floors. Clean. Beds were good. They were firm....slept great. It was nice to be able to just walk outside and lay on a lounge chair close to the sound of ocean waves. My brother and his 18 year old son slept with the glass patio door open and the screen door closed. There wasn't much foot traffic around. They felt very safe.
Room 201: Right above 101. It has a small balcony and has 2 chairs to sit outside. Refrigerator worked. Overhead fan worked. Hot water didn't......none at all.

Overall I would definitely recommend the place. The lack of hot water in one room and the fan not working in the other room is soon forgotten as you listen to the ocean. If you are concerned about leaving the patio door open at night make sure to reserve a room on the second or third floor. With the patio door open the ocean breeze was all we needed in either room ...but then again it was March. I didn't try the wall air conditioners.

Cost: $492 for 2 rooms for 2 nights.

If you have a car i highly recommend you go across the highway to the real Akumal. It is immediately on the other side of the highway. It is a small town about 4 blocks long. There is much construction going on and probably has been for some time. One night we went to a restaurant called El Ultimo Maya. It was a nice family restaurant with good food and much better prices than the tourist area. I had a great time just watching the town's activity.

Snorkeling: Didn't go outside the Vista del Mar. I was told the best place to go outside the hotel was to the right side of the bay where the water breaks. I did go snorkeling in the beach area on the beach in the tourist Akumal area. Didn't have much success.
I did however go to Yul-ku Lagoon. This is maybe 1 mile away from Vista del Mar in the opposite direction from the tourist area. This has plenty of fish. Variety was OK. No live coral. The snorkeling was enjoyable. If you have kids I would recommend this spot. No waves. No long bumpy boat ride to the snorkeling area. They have equipment to rent included safety vests. I think the cost was $7 US for adults....we didn't need to rent equipment.
We went 90 minutes before it closed and there wasn't many people there.

Overall - I would recommend staying in Akumal. Very relaxing. The hotel was a good price. Defintely would stay at Vista del Mar again but would make sure the room has a working fan and hot water.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank JerryMadison
Reviewed February 21, 2008

We had a great family vacation at Vista Del Mar over the New Year's holiday. There were 9 of us, including two grandchildren ages 6 & 4. The family with the two little girls stayed in Condo #5 & the rest of us were in 3 hotel rooms on the third floor - great views of the bay! The condo was very convenient for all of us to gather - walk right out onto the beach. Water shoes are recommended because of the "coral" bottom of the bay. The close proximity to La Buena Vida Restaurant was very convenient. The little girls especially enjoyed the "swings" at the bar! & of course the swimming pool. The 15 minute walk to town was fine, enjoyed Lol Ha - convenient children's area, good food, nice beach. Enjoyed the tour to Xcaret - fun swim with the Dolphins - great photos. Also toured Tulum - a little crowded but interesting ruins & great views of the ocean. According to one daughter the condo was "awesome"! The Corner Store was very handy for supplies. All in all it was a great place to welcome in the New Year!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family