All reviewshalf moon bayyal ku lagoonbuena vidabedroom condocoffee makerdaily maid servicedive shopla buenathree bedroompurified watersmall refrigeratorminute walksound of the wavesfull kitchenqueen bedfishakumal beach
Reviewed April 3, 2011

I had a room in the hotel section of this building during March 2011. (They also have condos for rent here.) The room was exactly what I expected. It was small, clean, had a wonderful ocean view, a nice balcony and was right on the beach. There was a nice size shower with hot water and good pressure. There was a tv, coffee maker, dishes, small refrigerator and an in-room safe. Plenty of space to hang your stuff in the closet. There is a table and two chairs on the balcony and you can request a hammock to hang on your balcony. Beach towels are available for free at the front desk and there is a small convenience store on the property. There is also free bottled water in the room and A/C, which I did not need to turn on. They offer free Wi-Fi which worked on the balcony, but intermittently in the room. I took no issue with sitting on the balcony overlooking the ocean to read & compose email. :)

The only negative during my stay (besides the pot smoking guests in the room below me) was the fact that the door to the room did not fit the frame, leaving gaping space through which the wind howled loudly at night. (It is always windy here on the beach in March.) I had to stuff the cracks around the door with towels and kleenex to quiet the noise so I could get some sleep. If the door had fit properly and been airtight, it wouldn't have been an issue.

The hotel is spotless. The beach out front is kept spotless. It is also rocky, so bring an old pair of sneakers or water shoes if you want to venture in.

The restaurant & bar, La Buena Vida, is about 100 yards from the hotel and serves lunch & dinner. The food was fine, nothing to write home about. Staff was nice. For breakfast, I had to walk into the center of Akumal each morning. It's a 3/4 mile walk along a main road. I'm a walker, so this was not an issue for me, but you can call a taxi, rent a bike or golf cart if you are not a walker. There are two really great restaurants, La Akumalito and Turtle Bay Bakery & Restaurant, that serve a very good breakfast. Every restaurant in Akumal is overpriced, comparatively speaking. Since Akumal is small and the choices are few they can get away with charging you more. I did take advantage of stocking up on snacks & beverages at the local grocery store.

The beaches here are gorgeous. The snorkeling and diving are top notch. The people are friendly and it's got that small town appeal. The sidewalks roll up by 11pm most nights, so if you're a partier this probably isn't the place for you.

Overall, it was a nice relaxing stay. I would definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
6  Thank WorldTravellerr
Reviewed March 15, 2011

My family,which includes my husband and I and three teens (13,15,17) stayed eight nights at the Vista Del Mar and loved every minute of our stay! We had ground floor three bedroom / three bath accomodations and there was more than enough room for all of us. The hotel was beautifully furnished with bright Mexican colors and was always spotless. We enjoyed the full kitchen and did cook a few meals during our stay. We loved having the opportunity to snorkel right out our backdoor and were able to see several baby turtles hatching by our deck on our arrival night. Very exciting! We took several walks into Akumal and loved swimming/snorkeling in the bay. Swam with many turtles and loved the clear blue water. Additionally, the resturants were wonderful! One evening my husband and I had a candlelit dinner on the beach in a private tent - The most romantic date ever! Our three children went to The Turtle Bay bakery and all had the breaded Chili Pepper - They beg me to find a way to cook this dish at home! We also took numerous day trips - One to Punta Allen where we felt like Christopher Columbus on our own beach. (Until a mopehead pulled up with a Pizza delivery! My daughter got to practice her Spanish and ordered us Pineapple Pizza - YUM!) This is a wonderful excurision if you have the time to drive out to this quaint fishing village. We also visited the monkeys, went on Quads through the jungle and climbed the pyramids! Had a chance to swim at the Tulum ruins and felt like Ratchel Ward in Against All Odds! Overall, WONDERFUL hotel, friendly staff, great little town. The trip of a lifetime. From Akumul we ventured further south to the Villa Gummerson - A GREAT vacation home! Check out there web page! Happy travels!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank MOM_OF_JAR
Reviewed March 9, 2011

I loved this place. It is very different from all inclusives. It is a room only more like a motel. We stayed on first floor. The room is small and nothing special. It is clean and nice. There is a TV, fridge, bed and a coffee pot. There is no coffee so stop in Olaya and buy some. There is a little store attached to hotel but ONLY instsant coffee. You can buy milk and snacks there. Now outside of the small room is a little patio with a table and two chairs. Step off the patio and it is 22 steps into the water. Very nice and can view from your bed. The beach was very quiet on Half Moon Bay (rocky water entry), Loungers and table available but no shade except an umbrella. I just walked into my room when I needed to have shade. It is about 5 minutes by car into Akumal and a samdy beach that is the best to snorkel with turtles and rays (it is great to snorkel and free). You can rent gear or bring your own. There is a great little cochina for breakfast and lunch as well as Lol HA estaurant and snack bar for more refined dining. I advise that you skip the Yal ku lagoon. They charge about $10 American and it is not as good snorkling as the beach in Akumal,

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 7, 2011

We spent 10 amazing days in Akumal and stayed at VDM hotel. Great room on the 3rd floor. Watched turtles and stingrays swimming in Half Moon Bay from the comfort of our balcony! We enjoy the hotel, as we do not cook on our vacations. The dorm fridge, coffee maker, and bottled water is all we need. Room was always clean. Beach out front was never too busy. And the staff (Bacilio, Santos, Lupe, Rosa, etc. were all very helpful and friendly. A great deal for a no frills, clean, safe room in beautiful Akumal.

We will definitely be back next year! Which will make it our 6th year staying at this great place.

• Stayed: February 2011
3  Thank wedge77Minneapolis
Reviewed February 23, 2011

A brief 3 day trip to Akumal, this was the cheapest place we could find to stay. There may have been a cheaper place if we wanted a shared bathroom but that is not an option we care to save money with. Vista Del Mar was really nice. We literally had the cheapest rooms ($90.usd/night) but I was happy. It is a clean room with refrigerator, safe, filtered water, coffeemaker, nice shower, plenty of hot water, wifi, overhead fan, A/C and a balcony overlooking the ocean. We took a side trip to Tanhak, which I recommend Casa Cenote. Generally, it is difficult to find inexpensive rooms in the Akumal area. All of them seem pricing, to me. One I would suggest, if you can afford it, is to check out a place called “Sky Blue Hotel”, located a few miles south of Akumal, you just have to follow the signs to Casa Cenote and Sky Blue restaurant. We spent the day here just hanging on the extremely quiet beaches. The place is outstanding looking with only 6 rooms, nice pool and great attached restaurant. I really can’t give a review of the rooms since I was only on the outside but if I could afford this place (under $200./night) I would definitely try it out.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple