“What a great spot!”

Hotel Akumal Caribe
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed August 1, 2010

We rented the Half Moon Bay Condo #1 which is managed by the Hotel. It is located about 15 minutes walk away from the main hotel and renting this unit gives you access to all of the hotels amenities & beach.

While the unit itself was a bit tired, it was a great value for the money. We really enjoyed the location and the laid back Akumal area.

Service from the hotel's staff was courteous & very friendly. We enjoyed our stay here, and would not hesitate to return.

The eare is totally safe with much to see.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Akumal2you, Owner at Hotel Akumal Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2011

I am glad that you enjoyed Akumal and Condo 1. It is hopefully going to be updated very soon, but in the meantime we make it very comfortable for our guests, and it has a great view to Half Moon Bay!

I hope you will return to Akumal and stay with us again!

Regards,

Reviewed July 19, 2010

Our family (M, D, 7 YO and 8 YO sons) had a great time in Akumal. The Hotel is idealy situated - beach, palm trees, pool, restaurant, bar, shopping, snorkeling. The staff was very helpful, especially George/Jorge. Our room was clean, the AC worked great, and the beds were very comfortable - we had a king and our sons were in doubles in an adjoining room. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about hotel or Akumal.

We will be back!

Steve

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Akumal2you, Owner at Hotel Akumal Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2010

I am so glad your family enjoyed our property! Thank you for your comments and willingness to answer other people's questions! George/Jorge is a gem and he loves his job! We are so happy to have him on our team!
Hope to see you back in the near future!

Reviewed July 18, 2010

My family and I just stayed at Hotel Akumal Caribe. We absolutely loved it! The staff was friendly and very helpful. The rooms were clean and nice. There were many restaurants and shops. The food was great and at a reasonable price. They also had a great beach and dive center. We are going back again in February.

Reviewed July 17, 2010

This was our second trip to Akumal. We loved this hotel. For our family it was terrific. The location in Akumal made dining easy. We picked this hotel because it has a dive shop next to it (The Akumal Dive Center). The staff was friendly and always helpful. The restaurant and bar had good food at very reasonable prices. We always had breakfast and most lunches here and were never dissatisfied.

It is true that the beds are firm/hard, but you can request a softer mattress.

The pool is a nice diversion. The hotel is right on the beach. We expect to return in February.

Overall, this is a great place.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Thank you for your review of our property and your stay! I am so happy that you enjoyed it and plan to return! Akumal is a special place and we really love it when our guests think so too !

Reviewed July 3, 2010

First of all, I do not know why there are even beds in the room, they are so terrible, that you may as well sleep on the concrete floor. I've never slept on a harder bed, & I usually like firm matresses, but this was horrible. There is no tv ( that for me was actually a plus), but there was not even an alarm clock. My cell didn't work for the time, & neither did my water proof watch, I could not find an alarm clock anywhere. Come on, they could at least put one in.
The first night I pulled back the covers to find what looked like a stain from a women's menstrual- I asked them to change the sheets. I pulled back the comforter only partial, it looked ok, however when I pulled the whole thing off the next day, I could see the maid only reversed it, because now the stain was on the footing- ewwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!
The maid service was the worst I've ever seen.
On the positive sign, the location was beautiful, & we loved Akumal
With that being said, After speaking to several people visiting, there are tons of better options for the 130.00 a night I paid. You can rent condo's there for not much more, that are way nicer. Akumal was great though, & we loved renting the golf cart. Snorkeling was fantastick.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Dreamsofriveriamaya
Akumal2you, Owner at Hotel Akumal Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2010

I am so sorry about your experience with your room! We are getting rid of the concrete platforms for the beds, and that is making a huge difference. We are doing it little by little but it is a priority. Some clients find the beds firm but fine, others like you , find them way too hard!

As for the sheet mishap, I am going to have a meeting with our staff once again to remind them about our quality standards and how much it affects us when they drop the ball and take short cuts when it goes against our policy.

I have sent you a private message with an offer to return, which I hope you will accept.

Thank you for your comments. This certainly helps us stay on top of the details.
Regards,
Laura Wolfe

Reviewed June 29, 2010

My husband I stayed there on our recent vacation to Akumal. The staff is very friendly and the place is old, but very clean. Wonderful view. The beds are a killer - basically a thin mattress on a tall concrete block. If you have any back problems, don't bother. Otherwise, highly recommended. My hubby loved it. Next time, I'll bring an air mattress from home!
Oh, and bring your own soap. They only give you one bar on your first night.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2010

My husband and I just returned from Akumal and before we left I made him promise we would return!! It was amazing! The best vacation of my life! Everything was beautiful. The beach is amazing not crowded which is great! There is white sand and warm water. We snorkeled everyday and saw sea turtles and sting rays and many other fish. Our hotel room was perfect, the air conditioning worked very well and although the bed was firm it was very comfortable. We had a kitchenette and that too was very nice! Our room was in great condition and very clean. We had a great view of the pool and the ocean. Every restaurant there had great food and great service! We recommend trying them all. There's also a great ice cream place called Lucy's that was a nice treat in the hot sun. There's two supermarkets right as you come in with very friendly staff and fair prices. The hotel staff there was always very helpful and a joy to talk to. Everyone made us feel welcome and at home. One member of the staff stood out to us inpurticular, George. He was a great help and very informational. As well as a good laugh! There is so much to do we couldn't cover it all on one trip but we also recommend renting Bikes, as we did for $6 usd a day, which was fun to ride around and see the scenery. We also rented a golf cart one day and that too was pretty reasonable around $40usd a day. About a 5 min drive up the road is a private lagoon called Yal-Ku which is unlike anything I've ever seen. Something you'd see on a calendar or something. Perfect for snorkeling, definitely a must do while your there. Especially since its right there on the compound. Overall, we had THE BEST experience we've ever had on a vacation. We will absolutely be going back! A true treasure! Thank you everyone that helped make our honeymoon so amazing! We had a wonderful time!

2  Thank Chelsea51410