“Finally experienced Mexico the way we wanted to!”

Hotel Akumal Caribe
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed March 4, 2014

My husband and I booked this hotel after passing through on a day trip last year (we stayed at Gran Bahia Principe). When we saw the beautiful beach and felt the local 'vibe' we knew we had to try it out and we were NOT disappointed!

HOTEL
It is certainly not luxurious so you need to know what you are getting into. There are no TVs and the decor is minimal (although they are slowly updating all rooms). However, what it lacks in frills it makes up for in location and authenticity. Our room was spotless and cleaned daily and the kitchenette was perfect for keeping food cold and preparing snacks. The beds weren't nearly as bad as some reviews mentioned and I've heard they are upgrading all of them as well. It would be great to have a broom in the closet to sweep extra sand of the floor - being beachfront means you track more dirt in, but I'll take that any day!

BEACH
Simply stunning. Take the time to watch a sunrise from the beach, or walk around to the rocky point. You will feel like you are on the edge of the earth. The sand is soft, the water is warm, and the snorkeling is wonderful. It does get busy in the afternoons but not nearly as busy as we experienced at a resort last year. The hotel has a private area at the top of the beach and we found it remained quiet and uncrowded as the majority of visitors stayed closer to the dive shop.

FOOD
We did not get a meal plan because we wanted to try the different restaurants in the area (and I would encourage you to do the same) but the continental breakfast daily was perfect. A fresh plate of fruit, your choice of toast or Mexican sweetbread, coffee and fresh orange juice. It was a great way to start the day and you could always snack later if you want.

AMENITIES
I will admit the WiFi wasn't 100% all the time, but we only used it to send one email so I can't say we really cared. It does work from the room and the beach (close to the hotel).

CONSTRUCTION
We were extremely worried about the construction next door but I can honestly say it didn't bother us at all, despite the fact they were out putting piles in. The wind and the waves covered up most of the noise and you could move farther down the beach if it really bothered you. The construction is happening immediately next to the pool so it would probably be louder there but we didn't spend much time there. One downside is that they did start at 7am daily and worked through until dusk, Monday through Saturday. Sunday was quiet. It would not sway my decision to stay here again.

OVERALL
This hotel is an absolute gem and I would strongly encourage anyone looking for a truly authentic Mexican vacation to stay here! Our trip only cost a few hundred dollars more than our all-inclusive last year and the experience was ten times better!

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean so there isn't a bad view to be had. We opted for a ground floor room...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kristin H
Akumal2u, Owner at Hotel Akumal Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Thank you for your review! I was so happy to see that you captured the essence of what we want to provide in a vacation! It's really not about the frills with us, although we are working on the rooms like you said.. it's about the ambiance, the people, the destination, and the beauty of the simplicity of it all.

We have been at it since the 60's and have not changed our place much. It's what people appreciate and hopefully we can keep on attracting visitors that are seeking this type of experience!

Thank you!

Regards,
Laura B Wolfe
Owner

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stayed at the Villas Maya Bungalows at Akumal with our children and 2 grandsons, 6 and 8. We had two bungalows and it was perfect! Spacious, clean, a little funky but a perfect spot for us. The kids loved the pool, the adults loved the beach and swimming out to watch the turtles feed. It could not have been more perfect! We had great meals at Turtle Bay and loved our day snorkeling at Yakul Lagoon, just down the road!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I stayed at this hotel in July 2013 after a 6-day church mission trip in Mexil Yucatan. It was like paradise after living in a small village for 6-days. The rooms were comfortable, nice showers, cold A/C. The bed could have been a little more comfortable but after 6 sleepless nights in a hammock, it did the trick. The snorkeling was amazing. We saw plenty of turtles, squid and fish of all types. I would recommend it to those in the area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

I complete agree with the previous post. The beach was wonderful. Clean sand and water with awesome weather. The food was a knockout. We never had a bad meal the 5 days there. The service was 5 star. Bar tenders, waitstaff, and cleaning crew were top notch. The negatives were the awful wifi service, some ants in the room and the beds were too hard. The positives outweigh the negatives by far !!! Thanks to all the staff for making a great trip. We would love to come back to akumal and the wonderful resort and town.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank JPH7916
Akumal2u, Owner at Hotel Akumal Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Thank you for your review! It's great to hear that you enjoyed our place and the food! I wanted to let you know that we just got a separate wi fi connection for the hotel rooms and this will certainly help make the signal stronger. Lolha Beach bar was sucking all the connectivity from the rooms. Now we should be better! Also, we will be changing out the mattresses little by little for the bungalows, and we will be taking out all concrete bases in the Beach Front rooms and brand new mattresses there. A good night's sleep is so important!
Thank you again!

Laura B Wolfe
Owner

Reviewed February 17, 2014

I recently stayed at the Hotel Akumal Caribe in the bungalows...and wanted to leave after the first night. The bungalow I stayed in was old (but large), had an incredibly hard mattress, had lots of people walking past three large, ground-level windows, had lousy wifi reception AND did not have curtains that went all the way across the windows.

Since I was stuck there for 4 days, my wife talked me into making the best of it. While waking up with a cranky back is never fun, I did come to find that there are three really great things about this hotel that make the accommodations (almost) worth it.

The first is the beach. It is literally steps from your room. The beach is very, very popular for snorklers, many of whom are in very large group. It turns out that the large groups are from other hotels. Guest of the Akumal Caribe can walk right up, grab a guide and be off in the water. The snorkeling is fantastic - we say many turtles and fish, along with one giant and nasty-looking barracuda. The beach is busy but peaceful, with a special section cordoned off for guests.

The second is the food. I was very pleasantly surprised that the food was really, really good. Lots of variety for both Mexican and international dishes - all of it was delicious.

The third is the staff. They know that Akumal Caribe is a little long in the tooth so they seem to make up for it with plain old effort. Not everyone speaks the best English but everyone seems focused on making your stay enjoyable.

While on day 1 I was ready to leave but the end of day 4 I was planning to come back - this time with my kids! Hopefully by that time they'll have fixed the awful beds in the bungalows!

Room Tip: If you don't mind old rooms and rock-hard beds, the bungalows are big.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TheBFCE
Reviewed February 15, 2014

This hotel is very simple, clean. Staff are friendly. I found the beds and linens to be comfortable, nice balcony and great restaurant/ bar Lol-ha.

The rooms did not get wifi very well when I stayed but the bar did.

Water cooler in room.

Definitely, feels like a place that people return to every year, staff seemed to know and remember people from years past which I thought was nice.

Beach is gorgeous, but seriously….so much plastic and garbage it made my heart break. Here you have turtles, stingrays gorgeous fish. All of the hotels in the area should make an effort to clean the beach. The beachfront in from of Akumal CAribe is fine and then you walk a few steps off the property and there's plastic on the shore. I went to Tulum and Isla Mujeres after Akumal---there you do not see any garbage, plastic on the beach--so I think this could be helped more.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank woolloomoolo
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We had a wonderful stay. We typically stay in Villas with The Westin so this is a different style and different quality. While not as upscale as The Westin, it is clean and comfortable accommodations. 5 gallon water jug in the room. We had a totally wonderful stay. Staff throughout were kind and helpful. Restaurant 100 feet away was just great. Swimming and snorkeling was OUTSTANDING with many large sea turtles, manta rays, colorful fish and so forth. Equipment rental also 100 feet from the units. We had a Garden Room and really liked the private garden, hammock and sitting area to enjoy the birds and sunshine. Ocean is very safe for children and plenty to see so I recommend for families too, even though this trip was just my wife and I. I purchase Spa massages for my wife and a spouse to a couple we have gotten to know in Mexico, and they gave great reviews of the treatments (Note: My wife gets massages on all of our trips so is well experienced in knowing quality like she received here).

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple