My wife and I stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe Akumal in February. This was our second visit and we were thrilled to be in sunny Mexico in the middle of the "winter the wouldn't end'. We requested building 47 or 48 and ended up with a partial water view in building 48, a nice touch as there are very few water views in Akumal. Our room was very nice, cleaned every day by Patricia and she was the master of towel art. Loved the rain shower.
Building 48 is close to the beach and the lobby so walking wasn't an issue.
We arrived on a Tuesday and had private transfer from the airport so there was no line at check-in which was very smooth. Arrived at about 2:30 and our room was ready. Did take a while for our bags to catch up but, this is Mexico, no worrys.
This being our second trip we have learned how to work the buffet. If you stick to the freshly made things and pick carefully through the rest there is plenty of good food and enough variety . We were there for 10 days and it never got boring. We booked our a la carte restaurants as soon as we arrived and this worked out well. Pescador was good, Arlequin was the best. We were disappointed that they have started to use buffets at some of the a la carte restaurants for appetizers and deserts. Only Arlequins was immune. The offerings were a cut above what was at the regular buffet but it somehow made the experience less special.
The grounds are beautiful. The beach is great, lots of palapas. There did seem to be an issue if you got there after 11:00 or so. But it was prime season.
The staff work really hard and all are very friendly. A special shout out to Armin, our waiter in the buffet, who took such good care of us every day.
While tipping is not expected, a couple of dollars in appreciation for good service goes a long way, and the staff works hard to make your vacation enjoyable.
We only left the complex once, to go to the town of Akumal. We wanted to check out the snorkeling. We were going to take the collective but the cab driver made us a deal we couldn't refuse. The town was small and overrun with tourists. The bay where the snorkeling was so good was so crowded that we decided to skip it. Did find a nice restaurant in town, Turtle Bay Cafe, and had a nice lunch. That alone was worth the trip.
Word of warning, stay away from the Privilege Club.Very hard sell.
All and all we really enjoy this resort and will be back again. Lovely setting. Friendly staff. Great value.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 swimming pools 4 jacuzzis 2 children's swimming pools Solarium with sun umbrellas and sun loungers BAHIA SPA (additional charges apply) Sports centre: a gym, 5 tennis courts, bicycles Motor sports (additional charges apply) Aquatic activity and diving centre Entertainment amphitheatre Wi-Fi access in the lobby (free) and with an no additional charge in the rooms Buffet restaurant opposite the sea 3 a la carte restaurants 9 bars Cocktail Lounge Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, cenotes and Mayan jungle Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and a night club Rooms 758 spacious Junior Suite Superior rooms. Equipped with: Two full-size beds or one king-size bed A living area with sofa A fully fitted bathroom: shower, washbasin, dryer and magnifying mirror Hydro massage tub Bathrobe and slippers (to be enjoyed throughout your stay) Pool towel (to be enjoyed throughout your stay) Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Direct-dial telephone (additional charges applicable to external calls) Radio alarm clock Flat-screen TV Mini-bar with mini alcoholic beverages (included) Coffee set Safe (included) Ironing set 24 hour room service Butler service (upon request) Evening turn-down service Pillow menu Wi-Fi (no additional charge) Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy facilities designed especially for them: Children's swimming pool Mini Club (children aged 4 to 12) Mini Disco in the evenings Bahia Scouts Water Park Teen's club (children aged 11 to 16) Other services An internal mini-train service providing access to all the facilities: 24-hour medical service (additional charges apply) Pharmacy (additional charges apply) Personalised menu options for celiacs and diabetics Specialised wedding, anniversary and event planning service Casin ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BP USA TRAVEL INC, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, TravelUp, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Akumal
- Bahia Principle
- Bahia Principe Mexico
- Gran Bahia Principe Hotel Akumal
- Mexico Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Tulum
- Grand Bahia Principe Akumal
- Bahia Principe Riviera Maya
- Bahia Mexico Principe
- Akumal Gran Bahia Principe