Just returned from a 1 week stay. We upgraded to the Royal Golden section of the Akumal resort as per other reviews. The check in is in a separate area but unfortunately was not speedy. We booked for three rooms and had requested them in the same building as we were traveling with our teenage children. They at first were not in the same building and after 45+ minutes (or one Mexican minute) and a frenzy of words exchanged by the check in staff (seemly arguing in Spanish) we finally were granted 3 rooms in building 68. Never the less, we were happy to be on vacation & were determined not to be deterred by negative staff. This was the only staff member that we had any issues with. The remaining staff was fantastic, always a smile and an Hola.
The rooms were huge. A king size bed, a double bed and a couch that also makes into a bed if needed. The cleaning staff always did a fantastic job and had our rooms cleaned promptly. We always left a tip for our cleaning staff and Carlos went out of his way to make some sort of decoration or towel animal. The fridge was also stacked in a prompted manner.
We did not make it to any of the A La Cartes as we did not book early enough. The remaining times were too late in the evening for the kids. My advice would be to book your a la cartes right when you get there. Mikados and Frutos del Mer had good reviews from some repeat customer that we had met. The kids were happy with the big buffet at the main lobby. We always found something good to eat. There was lots of selection, sometimes repetitive, however, the kids didn't mind. They enjoyed trying different things and going back for more.
We watched the different shows and they were good entertainment. We also bought the tickets to the Thursday night Spanish Fiesta at the Hacienda (170 pesos). Our family thoroughly enjoyed the evening. La Hacienda has shopping stores and flea market type tents. We didn't find out about this place until our week was almost over. It is worth the time to take the buggy to the complex. It is within the area of Grand Bahia but is situated right at the entrance of the resort. The resort should advertise this more. It's open late, so you can go after your evening meal and not miss any beach time.
Like everyone else said, the resort is very large. They have great transportation, but if you're not into large resorts, this is not the place for you. On the positive side, there are great walking paths in the jungle with something or some creature to see around each corner. Also, we tend to eat way too much, so walking to the different areas was actually a welcome activity.
The beach is rockier than what I prefer, but this is not the resorts fault. We mostly sat at the beach (in the Royal golden area - lots of loungers to be had) and cooled off with a swim in the pool. The bar service was good, Melvin always had a smile. We brought our own insulated cups, so our drinks stayed cold.
Two of our kids did the resort scuba diving with instructor Jonathan. He was a good instructor and the kids enjoyed the dive enough so that our son went for a second dive. The ocean was quite rough so visibility wasn't as good as what I've seen in the past.
One complaint I would have would be the wifi. We had to pay $45 USD per unit and the internet connections was sparce at best. If you required good internet, you had to go to the lobby which was not handy at all. The wifi was down completely for a portion of the week. They also offered one free hour a day per unit in the lobby if you didn't want to pay for the wifi. We have been to resort where the wifi is included with the room. All resorts should include wifi. It's the way of the future.
Overall, our family enjoyed the resort. We met several couples & families that were returned customers, so it's obvious that they really enjoy the resort. Your vacation is what you make of it. If you let the little things bother you, it only wrecks your vacation. Grand Bahia did a good job of making our vacation memorable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 swimming pools 4 jacuzzis 2 children's swimming pools Solarium with sun umbrellas and sun loungers BAHIA SPA (additional charges apply) Sports centre: a gym, 5 tennis courts, bicycles Motor sports (additional charges apply) Aquatic activity and diving centre Entertainment amphitheatre Wi-Fi access in the lobby (free) and with an additional charge in the rooms Buffet restaurant opposite the sea 3 a la carte restaurants 9 bars Cocktail Lounge Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, cenotes and Mayan jungle Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and a night club Rooms 758 spacious Junior Suite Superior rooms. Equipped with: Two full-size beds or one king-size bed A living area with sofa A fully fitted bathroom: shower, washbasin, dryer and magnifying mirror Hydro massage tub Bathrobe and slippers (to be enjoyed throughout your stay) Pool towel (to be enjoyed throughout your stay) Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Direct-dial telephone (additional charges applicable to external calls) Radio alarm clock Flat-screen TV Mini-bar with mini alcoholic beverages (included) Coffee set Safe (included) Ironing set 24 hour room service Butler service (upon request) Evening turn-down service Pillow menu Wi-Fi Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy facilities designed especially for them: Children's swimming pool Mini Club (children aged 4 to 12) Mini Disco in the evenings Bahia Scouts Water Park Teen's club (children aged 11 to 16) Other services An internal mini-train service providing access to all the facilities: 24-hour medical service (additional charges apply) Pharmacy (additional charges apply) Personalised menu options for celiacs and diabetics Specialised wedding, anniversary and event planning service Casin ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, BP USA TRAVEL INC, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Hotwire, Cancelon, Priceline, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Akumal
- Bahia Principle
- Bahia Principe Mexico
- Gran Bahia Principe Hotel Akumal
- Mexico Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Tulum
- Grand Bahia Principe Akumal
- Bahia Principe Riviera Maya
- Bahia Mexico Principe
- Akumal Gran Bahia Principe