“fantastic holiday again for the 4th time”

Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed November 14, 2013

This is the 4th time we have visited this hotel and it was just as wonderful as ever.
The staff at this hotel are fantastic and really make you feel welcome.
The food was as good as usual.
We will be back again next year.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank ann551958
RRPP A, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2013

Dear Tripadvisor Member:

It was an honor to have hosted you for the fourth time at Grand Bahia Principe Akumal.

Your comments are really rewarding, because we can see how every day more people join our Family. We look forward to welcome you back to your home and provide you many more memorable experiences.

Kind Regards from the Mexican Caribbean!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, enjoy playing golf at our hotels on the Mayan Riviera.
Grand Bahia Principe Akumal

Write a ReviewReviews (10,283)

Reviewed November 13, 2013

I want to say that before I left to go to my stay at Grand B Akumal I had a very upsetting family situation - my sister and her husband cancelled out three days before we were supposed to go away together for the first time - I was very distressed upon booking into the Golden Section of Grand Bahia Akumal - it took a couple of days to come to terms with my situation and I started to truly appreciate where I was - and it was wonderful in all regards - the staff could not have been any more gracious - the food plentiful and varied - and the al la carte dining was fabulous - - the room was exactly what I had asked for - view of the ocean in perfect villa - 65 - maid service always pleasant and very willing to please - after two weeks staying here, and yes we had heavy rain and winds - and I loved being the only person in the pool at either day or night -
I came here very distressed and left as if I had been given a breath of fresh air - So I thank all of you at the Grand Bahia Akumal for making it such a wonderful experience in all of the things I experienced and also the solitude I desperately needed

Yours Truly

GSD

Room Tip: ask for the golden upgrade and ask for either villa 65 - 66 - 67 totally perfect - top floor -
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank gillian0911

Dear TripAvdison member:

We appreciate the time taken by you in writing a review of your recent stay and at Grand Bahia Principe Akumal, Riviera Maya.

We are very grateful for have shared your review about your stay with us, it is a pleasure to know that you are satisfied with all the services and the attention from our staff.

Please do not hesitate to contact us before your next arrival, we will do our very best to accommodate your requests and like that create another great moment.

Our best regards from the Mexican Caribbean!

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Just got back from The Grand Bahia Principe AKHUMAL after a one week stay. It was our first time at this hotel in Mexico. We were at the Barcelo two years ago and at the Grand Bahia Principe in Dominican Republic four times in the last few years. The Grand Bahia Principe on the Mayan Riviera has three main sections: Akhumal and Tulum are on the beach and Coba is a little tucked away in the back. There is also an adults only section called Sia Khan on the other side of the highway. The resort is huge and there are trollies that take you all over. The grounds are beautiful and the vegetation is lush. Our villa had 18 rooms and most of them accross the resort are the same. We read many reviews and decided that we wanted to be on the beach so we booked a room at the Golden Club in Akhumal and requested a room in building 65, 66 or 67. To our great pleasure, we were given a room in building 65. We had a side view of the ocean which was nice, but building 66 is the best one, right on the beach. Building 67 is also on the beach.

THE ROOM was nice. This one had not been renovated but the furniture was decent. The bed was very comfortable, it had an extra pillow top, and the sheets were fresh and clean. The golden club comes with a free safe, if you stay in a regular room, you will have to pay $50 for it. Room service was excellent, our room always smelled fresh and the maid made beautiful towel sculptures for my 6 year old daughter. She slept on the couch which was perfect for a child. Our mini bar was also well stocked, and one afternoon, we happened to be in the room when a staff member came to fill it, and he kindly gave us a bottle of sparkling wine without even asking!

THE BEACH is also beautiful. It has an exotic feel with untouched vegetation and lots of palm trees. The beach spreads from one hotel to the other: Akhumal is on one end and Tulum is completely on the other end, and in the middle you have the activity centre with the pier, the zumba classes, the volley ball net, the load music and tons of people... I did not want that so I stayed at the furthest end of the beach where our unit was. There is a small bay there, the water is shallow and it is perfect for swimming. There are also wave breakers: big black bags probably filled with sand. If you look at the pictures, they look like whales, they are a bit of an eye sore but they make it perfect for swimming. One important thing that we were happy about is that there were always chairs available, no need to reserve them at 7:00 in the morning!

THE FOOD in general was good. I was a little disappointed with the snack bar and the buffet at the Golden Club. The snack bar only had hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza, a few salads and drinks. The buffet (next to the Dolce Vita) was quiet, in a beautiful setting on the beach, with exceptional service, but unfortunately the only thing you can have there for breakfast are eggs. The pancakes were dry, probably from the day before. The location is perfect for a small breakfast and coffee. For a bigger meal, there are the buffets. The one in Akhumal is in the main Lobby (by the way, STAY AWAY from the Privilege Club, do not accept gifts and DO NOT BUY TIMESHARE). The food there is good. Choose a table at the far end by the beach. The service is excellent and Fidel will take care of your every need. The food at the buffet is nicely presented, and when we arrived on All Saints Day, there was a beautiful chocolate sculpture presentation. In general you will find, salads, cold cuts, sushi, cheeses, rice, pasta, cooked dishes, fruit, deserts and ice cream. Then you have the grill, the pasta counter, the fast food counter and the Mexican corner. In general the food was good but I have to say that I had grilled chicken the whole week because, they were always out of grilled pork chops, and I rarely found any guacamole. Coba and Tullum had basically the same thing but in a wider variety with more sushi, grilled beef and fish, more desert and hard ice cream. THE RESTAURANTS were also excellent. With the Golden Club, you get a forth À la carte restaurant. We ate at the French restaurant Le Gourmet which was probably my favourite. We also ate at the Japanese restaurant where we were seated around the cook top with four other couples, and where the chef gave us a fantastic show. The food was very good. We also went to the Brazilian restaurant where the waiters serve you different types of meats from skewers. Definitely, not a restaurant for vegans, but very good. The last restaurant we went to was the Dolce Vita, the Italian restaurant, and although they did not have some of my favourite italian dishes like lamb or prosciutto for an entrées, the food was also good. I hate to say anything negative about the food because everything was good, the presentations were beautiful and the service was excellent. The only thing I found is that the food being served is somewhat of a lower quality, the reason why I say this is because I ate chicken all week. I could not find fish at the buffet or a lot of vegetables. One last suggestion is book your restaurants online, this way you won't waste time at the resort. And can someone tell me why there is no fresh mango at the buffet? We have them all year round in Montreal and they come from Mexico...

THE POOLS. For those wondering, the kiddie pool with the slides is in Coba. My daughter really enjoyed herself there. The animators also had many great activities for the kids. Back at Akhumal, there is a beautiful winding pool with swim-up bars, little bridges, palm trees and lots of palapas. There are also free scuba diving lessons for beginners.

In general, we had a wonderful vacation. The staff is very friendly. This resort offers activities for everyone whether you are looking to relax or have fun on the beach. Checking in and out was also a breeze and the bus ride to the airport was very comfortable in an air conditionned bus. The ride was about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Coming back to Canada was brutal!

Enjoy your vacation!

Room Tip: Building 66 in Akhumal on the 3rd floor will offer you the best view of the beach in a quiet part of...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
11  Thank jjandliz
RRPP A, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Dear TripAdvisor Member:

It is very rewarding to read your review regarding your previous stay at Grand Bahia Principe Akumal.

It is a pleasure to know that the staff members continue accomplishing our goal of creating memorable moments by exceeding our guests’ expectations.

Thank you for this valuable feedback, this is a gift to us to be better in the future; We look forward to welcome you back in a near future and provide you another unique experience.

Regards from Mexico!!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Riviera Maya

Reviewed November 12, 2013

In summary its good for the price we paid. We went on the 20th October for 14 nights, we paid around £3500 with first choice which was for 2 adults, 1 child (age 6) and 1 infant. This compared to friends that stayed in a different resort for 10 nights for around £5000.

The hotel is on a big complex, however you get to grips with it quite quickly.

Room
We stayed in room 8122 which was on the second floor as requested. There was no view to talk of, however it was close enough to walk to the reception and far enough away that you heard nothing at night. The room had 2 double beds and a sofa, there was also enough room for a crib/cot. We had the hotel one and it was fine, with the mattress changed everyday.

The room was cleaned daily and each day we had a some sort of towel art which my son really enjoyed.

We tipped the person who keeps the mini bar stocked and asked for additional diet coke, which we got. We never saw any bugs which the wife really liked.

Grounds
The golf buggies are really good and will get you to where ever you need, however we did enjoy walking to some locations to walk off the food. The grounds are beautifully kept with people tending to them all the time. There is an abundance of wildlife that seemed friendly and was great spotting for my son.

Brazilian x 2
Something different if you have not been to one before. The quality of the meat is ok, however the service when I went with just my son and daughter (no wife) was abysmal and felt that I wasn't wanted.

Arelquin x 2
The first time we eat there the food was fantastic, so much so we changed one of our bookings for the second week to go again. On the second time the food was not so nice. We had the steak for mains which was great and the chocolate pudding was lovely.

Asian
We had a show table which was nice and again something different. The starters were ok, however the mains were better.

Don Pablos
The food was again good, both of us having the surf and turf. I ordered a bottle of wine, however it wasnt to my taste, so they agreed to change without charging me, which was great as it was my fault.

Buffett
Our favourite was the cobra, we felt that this had the best options and some air conditioning, the rest have not. The second was the Akumal however we found the service to be lacking. The Tulum has a central area that is open and so it means that you share the dinning room with birds which for the 1st time is entertaining however after that it gets annoying.

Kids club
My son had a fantastic time here. The club runs from 9 - 5, and you can put your child in for any length of time. The normal activities are 9 - 10, play time; 10 - 11 creative activities in an air conditioning room; 11 - 12 activity at the beach; 12 - 13 activity in the active pool; 13 - 14 lunch at the 24 hour snack bar; 14 - 15 movie time; 15 - 16 some sort of activities; 16 - 17 activity around the pool.
At night time there is normally a mini disco at the theatre from 8 - 8.30 before the other nights entertainment
James loved the kids rep and would be happy to spend all day there if we let him.

Small niggles that stop it being a true 5 star hotel
- The privilege golf carts at night do not use their lights so you have to keep your ears peeled to ensure you don't get run over, this really needs sorting out.
- Service in the restaurants could be better, should you tip to get a good service, or tip when you get good service. We normally did the later and there were times in the buffet, where we had to wait 10 mins for the table to be set or for a high chair to come out.
- Service in the a'la cart restaurant wasn't quite 5 start i.e. after you finished the aperitif you had to keep the same knife and fork for the starter
- There were not many areas that were air conditioned

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank eggfink

Dear Trip advisor Member:

Thank you for being our guest and giving us the pleasure to serve you at Grand Bahia Principe Akumal .

It is amazing to read such positive comments regarding the great consistency of the service provided during your stay, All your comments will be shared with the departaments involved as a tool of motivation for our staff.
Be sure we will work to get better and continue giving our guests an excelent service.

We will be waiting for your return, so please do not forget to contact us before your next arrival.

Best regards from the Riviera Maya!!

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Just returned from a two week stay at the GBP Akumal, from October 27 to November 10, 2013. It was our third time at GBP, twice now at Akumal and once at Coba. There were five guests in our party, and we had two rooms. We brought my elderly parents and aunt with us and deliberately chose GBP because we knew we'd get good service.

First of all, I'll start with the kudos: Gabriella with Guest Services was spectacular! She took the time to understand our aged family members' needs and made arrangements for a location close to the beach and lobby. Additionally, we enjoyed the excellent a la carte restaurant meals during our stay. Gabriella helped us with that as well. I cannot say enough about how well we were treated!

Next, the service staff in the restaurants (among other areas) were just as great as they were the last time we were here. Special mention to Akumal section servers Laura Aguilar (afternoon shift) and Fidel (day shift). They were exceptional servers, and were attentive to our needs. After a couple of days they knew our drink preferences by heart and would make sure we were looked after as soon as we sat down. They are a credit to their profession and Bahia Principe is fortunate to have them.

The rooms were clean and well-appointed, but I don't know who decided that four-poster beds would be aesthetically pleasing. They look out of place in the room and I much preferred when the rooms had darker furniture/beds/dressers. The housekeeping staff did a reasonably good job, but our housekeeper had to be continually reminded that there were three people in the one room, not just two, and to make sure that there were enough towels in the room.

I continued to note that the service staff have to (unfortunately) endure boorish behavior from some tourists who treat them like second class citizens in their own country. I was really disappointed to see an increase in rudeness towards the staff. Additionally, I was disappointed in the lack of tipping when staff do a good job. They are not paid very much and they rely on tips to supplement their income. If they've done a good job, open up your wallet and drop a dollar or two on the table, for heaven's sake! If you can afford to come to the resort, surely you can afford to tip once in a while...and you know who you are.

Speaking of bad behavior, I can't even count how many times I witnessed guests touching the food in the buffets with their bare hands when tongs were available to use. Additionally, sometimes I witnessed unattended children doing the same thing. None of that is the resort's fault, but I get so ticked when guests not only take a vacation from their everyday lives, but also seemingly take a vacation from common courtesy and manners.

I enjoyed three great rounds at the Riviera Maya Golf Club. That is a jewel of a golf course. A reviewer earlier griped about having to pay $ 65 dollars for a cart to play the course. Even if they are playing a bit of a smoke and mirrors game about "free golf", where the heck are you going to play a course like that for $65? I will tell you...NOWHERE!!! I loved every moment of every game and will come back to play it again. It was very challenging, not a course for beginners, but so beautiful. I was able to play close to my handicap, which is a bonus.

Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank CanuckChick13_12
RRPP A, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear Tripadvisor member:

First of all thank you very much for staying at the Grand Bahia Principe Akumal, Riviera Maya and taking the time to write your impressions.

It is great to know that you really had a good time with us, and definitely we will share your comments with the restaurant staff and specially with Gabriela.

Once again and in the name of all Grand Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, we thank a lot this feedback of your stay, please, do not forget to contact us before your next arrival

Regards from The Mexican Caribbean!

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We wore there few months ego was nice clean and fantastic location, great room very large and well furnish. Very quite on the morning you can sleep late on the good bed... check op and fast and professional.I love the pool good for kids also,white pearly beach.
Food it was so so for us but this is very personal I things.The village is mast to go very cool and sample.

Room Tip: Get a room op stair facing the sea better for getting the sun on your room
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Trip advisor Member:

Receive cordial greetings from the Grand Bahia Principe Akumal.

We are very grateful for have shared your review about your stay with us, it is a pleasure to know that you are satisfied with all the services that we offered you.

Please do not hesitate to contact us before your next arrival and we will do our very best to accommodate your requests.

Our best regards from the Mexican Caribbean!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Riviera Maya

Reviewed November 11, 2013

I know a lot of people seemed to think this was one of the best all incl. they had been in but we have now been to 4 different hotels in Mexico over the last 4 years and I have to say it didn't tick many of our boxes, but to be fair we had expected the gold club to be something a bit better than the ordinary. - not so.
looking at what we got for what we paid we were disappointed, yes the food is nice in the special restaurants but nothing you could go back to your room and say - wow, it was nice and yes we only stayed for a week but the buffet was as someone else put it same old same old every day, but anyway this is how we saw it:
Weather first and second day piddling down but hey you cannot bank on the weather so enough said about that.
Rooms: we were first given a down stairs room which was nothing special just what you would normally expect from a standard allinc. room the problems started that night - from 11 pm until 4am the people above thought that it would be fun to move all the furniture around constantly and being on a marble floor we heard every movement, they also thought that being on holiday meant they could sing and shout as much as they liked and to hell with anyone else - this also included the kids - what family has young children up until 4 am shouting and banging? anyway we went straight to reception next morning and complained and asked for a high floor room which after some searching they found us but we had to give in our keys at 10am and could not get the new rooms keys until 3 pm - bit of a pain but for the sake of a good nights sleep we did it. The blocks of flats were reasonable in size and you did get a good selection of soaps and all the other things (even supplied a comb) nice touch.
Towels and bed linen was changed we think every day and the fridge had 2 beers 2 cokes a fanta and a sprite in every day - but I think that was because we were in the gold section - looking at all the other buildings they all looked the same so I think that was all you get as extras.
The beach restaurant was more like an open cafe next to the swiming pool that everyone used so why it was in the gold area I am not sure but again to be fair there were enough food in there all day long with burgers hot dogs pizzas pasta and salad along with melon and very sweet cakes - no one could possibly starve - the thing we did not like was that most of the bars we were informed shut at around 11 pm some at 10.30 unless you go to the disco but that is not our thing (I suppose we are too old) but we did find the best of the bars were at the sister hotel the Coba - more seemed to going on at the Coba.
This is a huge place and the golf carts with trailers are a must to get around and when we were waiting for one in the evenings a club car would come by and stop and then take you wherever you wanted to go in the complex.
I have to admit the special restaurants were not bad just that we were possibly spoiled the year before in Cancun but when you £4000 for a week you should expect something more.
The place is set in a mangrove swamp but then you should expect this as it is all tropical forests around this area - but walking to the right when you stand looking at the sea we walked over a very dead coral reef around the point and found a very very nice beach and as it was in a bay the waves were very small what a lovely place to swim - someone lived there once but had moved away leaving derelict buildings I cannot understand for the life of me why anyone would leave such a perfect bay.
I could carry on for ages but I wont but just to say if you have a family this is ideal if you just want peace and quiet think of somewhere else

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dado 1

Dear Tripadvisor Member:

On behalf the management and all the staff of the Grand Bahia Principe Akumal, Riviera Maya we would like to send you our appreciation for choosing us.

Your evaluation is of special importance and please be assured that we have shared your feedback with the rest of the team, we all took your suggestions as a learning tool and will keep working to improve our services and make sure our entire guest feel welcomed.

On behalf of all the staff, we thank you for letting us know your observations and we sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations. However we hope to have a second opportunity to restore your confidence in Grand Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Our Best regards,