I wrote this review on my phone while away ready to post to tripadvisor when we got back to England :)...
"What can I say, it's our last day here and I am really sad to be leaving. It has been a truly amazing experience.
The hotel is beautiful, and made all the more fantastic for its lovely, helpful and friendly staff. From the moment of arrival we were struck by how welcoming the staff were and how they made us feel the long journey was so worthwhile. The hotel is kept very clean and and the room was cleaned daily by a very professional maid.
We were warned in advance by the travel clinic and cautious relatives to be careful with what we ate and drank with regard to food poisoning while in Mexico. However, we found that all food at the hotel was hygienically prepared and the buffet offered an excellent selection. We have been 'travellers tummy' free for our entire stay. We found the a la carte restaurants were disappointing and decided that the buffet is much better with better food and a greater variety. It would be nicer if there were more Mexican options as the purpose of our stay was to have the all-inclusive relaxing holiday but also to immerse ourselves in the Mexican culture.
The beach is lovely with its sandy shore and Caribbean clear blue sea. The beach and pool are in close proximity to all the rooms which is an added bonus. They have installed wave breakers to keep the sea in the immediate area around the beach very calm. This is a good idea, if a slight shame also as it spoils the view. There is an exciting array of wildlife and we have loved waking up to the iguanas and lizards, whilst in the evenings the coatis appear. These animals are native to central and South America which is delightful for us coming from England.
The Chichen itza tour was really good and well worth it. I thoroughly enjoyed visiting the natural sinkhole and make sure you visit the tequila museum and try the free samples! The Hotel is about 40 minutes away from Tulum and Playa del Carman, and you can get really cheap buses (no more than 40 pesos).
They do charge for wifi in the rooms which is a bit of a pain but in the lobby it's free.
I would also like to add that the First Choice reps have been very helpful when we've had any queries and have definitely helped to ensure things have run smoothly in terms of transfers.
All in all Mexico has offered us a phenomenal experience and we will truly miss it."
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 swimming pools 4 jacuzzis 2 children's swimming pools Solarium with sun umbrellas and sun loungers BAHIA SPA (additional charges apply) Sports centre: a gym, 5 tennis courts, bicycles Motor sports (additional charges apply) Aquatic activity and diving centre Entertainment amphitheatre Wi-Fi access in the lobby (free) and with an additional charge in the rooms Buffet restaurant opposite the sea 3 a la carte restaurants 9 bars Cocktail Lounge Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, cenotes and Mayan jungle Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and a night club Rooms 758 spacious Junior Suite Superior rooms. Equipped with: Two full-size beds or one king-size bed A living area with sofa A fully fitted bathroom: shower, washbasin, dryer and magnifying mirror Hydro massage tub Bathrobe and slippers (to be enjoyed throughout your stay) Pool towel (to be enjoyed throughout your stay) Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Direct-dial telephone (additional charges applicable to external calls) Radio alarm clock Flat-screen TV Mini-bar with mini alcoholic beverages (included) Coffee set Safe (included) Ironing set 24 hour room service Butler service (upon request) Evening turn-down service Pillow menu Wi-Fi Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy facilities designed especially for them: Children's swimming pool Mini Club (children aged 4 to 12) Mini Disco in the evenings Bahia Scouts Water Park Teen's club (children aged 11 to 16) Other services An internal mini-train service providing access to all the facilities: 24-hour medical service (additional charges apply) Pharmacy (additional charges apply) Personalised menu options for celiacs and diabetics Specialised wedding, anniversary and event planning service Casin ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, BP USA TRAVEL INC, Orbitz, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Hotwire, TravelUp, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Akumal
- Bahia Principle
- Bahia Principe Mexico
- Gran Bahia Principe Hotel Akumal
- Mexico Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Tulum
- Grand Bahia Principe Akumal
- Bahia Principe Riviera Maya
- Bahia Mexico Principe
- Akumal Gran Bahia Principe