Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My husband and I travelled here in Nov of 2010 for a friends wedding. We were surprised at the size. It is a very big resort. Location is beautiful. 3 resorts in 1. There are trams to take to from place to place because it is a lot of walking. Had to wait sometimes for the tram. There is a large shopping area and night club by the opening to the resort that is fun to hang out in the evening. Nice change from the resort entertainment. The food was good. average. Pleantly to choose from. Drinks were great! especially the beach bar. The great thing is that you can travel to the two other resorts. The coba and tulum. There is plently of variety. I think the coba would be best for kids. Akumal is on the beach and is lovely. We were in the royal golden section. Right on the beach. Rooms were large and impressive. The beach was very nice. shallow and good for small children. By only big complaint was the a la cart restaurants. The food was not that great. One night we tipped the guy at the desk to add two of our friends to out dinner reservation. When we showed up they wouldn't accomodate us. The restaurant was half empty. Made no sense to us. after argueing with them the finally allowed it. I just didnt understand what the big deal was. I would travel to this place again for sure! Great weather. Lots to do. We visited Xelha for one day. It is a must! loved it.

Room Tip: stay royal golden on the beach
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sun1975
RRPP A, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

Dear Trip advisor member:

We appreciate your preference on visiting the Grand Bahia Principe Akumal and taking the time to write your positive impressions and suggestions.

It is very nice to read that you have appreciated the atmosphere in the hotel and the variety of our services. We look forward to receive you again in our resort and please, do not hesitate to contact us with any requests you may have for your next visit.

Kindest Regards from the Mexican Caribbean!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, enjoy playing golf at our hotels on the Mayan Riviera.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed at the Akumal Hotel, which is next to the beach. The hotel complex includes 3 separate hotels that can all be used with the 'all inclusive' package. It's good fun to hop on one of the regular little trains that take you from one hotel to another. The design of all 3 hotels is beautiful. All quite low level with a clear emphasis on a Mexican and Mayan style. The hotels are all open plan, giving a welcome cooling wind blowing through. The pools are well designed and very clean. The beaches are good and very clean. The beast beach is the one further along the beach past Tulum where you can walk or swim out little further and ride the big Caribbean waves. The rest of the beaches have big 'man-made' wave breakers a short way out and the beach attendants don't like you going past them as it can be a little dangerous with rocks and coral. The hotel and bedrooms are very clean. The restaurants are also clean and well served. There is a very wide range of food in the buffet restaurants, and the food id different every breakfast, lunch and dinner (if you can fit all that in). We did two main trips out, one to the ruins at Tulum and one to Xplor. Tulum is beautiful and well worth a visit. It was only about £3 entrance fee and you could walk around large grounds/ruins that are located right next to and overlooking the sea. There was also a place to walk down to the sea for a quick dip if you wanted to. You would definitely need to take water with you as there is very little shade. Xplor is for those with a little energy they are ready to expend on a day out. It includes zip wires, a 5k drive through the jungle on a buggy, a massive swim through a cenute (pronounced senootay) and a raft ride through a cenute. Most of the walking from one part of the complex to another is underground through the cenutes. This sometimes felt like you were walking forever, but was fascinating. The buffet food at lunch was included in the price and was excellent. The price when we visited was about £70 each, but was well worth it. Xplor was probably the best family day out we have ever had and I would definitely recommend it. Overall, the best holiday we have ever had. However, we were relentlessly attacked by mosquitoes, and some of the bites were very itchy and very uncomfortable. We took plenty of deet type cream and spray, but were still attacked. The worse attack times seemed to be in the restaurants in the evening. We started applying the mosquito cream all over first, and then spraying our clothes all over the outside. This helped a little, but didn't stop the attacks totally. I was bitten about 20~30 times in total, but we did see some people with that many bites on each leg!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
RRPP A, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear Roger:

We truly appreciate that you are taking the time to write and share this wonderfull and detailed review of your vacation at The Grand Bahia Principe Akumal.

Comments and feedback such as yours serves as true inspiration to our team and it's always nice to know when we have fulfilled the expectations of our guests. We also thank for share your comments about the Mosquitoes, please be assured that we will enhance our insects control programs and strict programs of fumigation.

We hope to have the honor and pleasure of welcome you back in the near future.

Kind Regards from Mexico,

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Riviera Maya

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I would like to mention before hand, that I had read a GOOD portion of reviews about the resort, leading up to my vacation. So I knew what to expect, the good and the bad, and pretty much everything was accurate.

My stay was from June 16 to June 23. I stayed in room 6414 in the Royal Golden Section. Loved every second of my stay. Check in and Check Out was a breeze. We arrived at 1 at the resort for check in, so we had to wait till 3 to get the room. We got the room EXACTLY at 3:01. Amazing. Gave us enough time to wander around the Akumal section a bit.

As mentioned, the resort is massive. We sort of explored the entire resort, but besides going to the buffet or restaurants, we stayed in the Akumal section for swimming and beach. We never had an issue with the trams as they always brought us where we wanted, they also always mentioned where they were going incase we were on the wrong one. Very nice people. We had one who was singing and driving. Just goes to show how happy the workers are.

The room was beautiful. No issues with the bed or shower or lighting or anything. It was great. Our maid Justina was amazing as well. ALWAYS smiling, always happy. We tipped her every day and even gave her some clothes and shampoos and sun glasses on our last day. When ever we crossed paths with Justina, she always gave us the biggest smile and biggest OLA! Just superb. As for the person who stocked our mini bar, we also tipped him every day until the last 2 days.. where we kinda gave up. Our mini bar seemed to never be full. Was hoping that the tip would give us more stuff than usual. But nope.

The bartenders were amazing, never seemed to crack under pressure, always had smiles on their faces.. even if there were huge line ups. I do hope that the resort decides to add more bartenders as waiting can be annoying for some people and also stressful for the bartenders. Most drinks (besides the resto drinks) seemed to be watered down. I understand why... but I would have liked to have had more alcohol here and there. Had a few Tequilla Sun Rise/Cervezas/Mojitos and Pina Colada (be warned.. they are addicting.. and even sort of a laxative) my girlfriend had the same drinks.. she also had and LOVED the Mexican Sombrero drink.

The beach is fine. It's not great. There are better.. but it's decent. The Akumal beach to the end seems to be the best, as there are very little rocks and even fishes. Pretty amazing to see fishes jump for bread off other peoples hands. There are signs that say don't feed the fishes or animals, but no one really listens it seems. As for reserving, we never really had a problem. We were always up at 6AM on the beach either relaxing or in the water.. or we'd be by the pool at 8, again with no problem getting a chair. We always found one every day, with no problems.

As for food. We had Dolce Vita Buffet for breakfast once, we really didn't like it. Nothing felt fresh or well cooked. We really REALLY enjoyed the Coba Buffet. There was so much choice and everything tasted good. The same can be said for Akumal Buffet. We weren't too crazy about the Tulum one. Coba was our favorite. The service at Akumal was always better than the other ones, but I think that's because there are alot less people. For restaurants, we ate at Fruits Del Mar, Meditaraneo (SP?) and Gran Tortuga, we also had one at Le Gourmet, but we decided to cancel that one and have our last dinner at the Coba Buffet as we enjoyed it so much. We liked the Fruits Del mar and Meditaraneo, the service was great. We didn't enjoy Gran Tortuga way too much, the meat just didn't taste good (besides the porc) and service was pretty bad. It happens. We still tipped well regardless. The service was better at the restaurants, but we liked the food at the Buffets.

We went to nearly all the shows, except Sunday (day we arrived) and Monday. Although they are a bit cheesy, they were fun to watch and pretty entertaining. We loved the circus show.

I want to thank Vanessa Pacheco who helped book me the restaurants, 3 weeks in advance! She also tried her best to get me a ocean view room and a 3rd floor. I only got a 2nd floor room, but I was seconds away from the ocean and the snack bar.. so that was perfect. I also got my mattress topper as asked. Thank you!

As for time shares. I was never ONCE bothered by Time Share people. I was prepared for them.. but they never bothered me. Most of the time, they seemed to be talking to themselves.

We did one excursions. We did Snorkel Safari with Cancun Adventures. We loved the experience, but we did expect so much more. We didn't see as many different fishes as we wanted, but still enjoyed it all. Jorge the guide was incredible!

What I enjoyed best: Everything? Service was great. Everyone is so happy, everyone wants to help you. You felt very relaxed and stress free.

What I enjoyed least: The weather stinked the first three days, but I cant blame that on anyone at the resort. I didn't really like that the transfer was one hour and 30 minutes away from the airport.. but again, cant blame the resort on that. Its pretty hard to really find something I didn't like.. it was a great vacation. Really helped recharge the batterys.

I don't think I'll go back. Not because I don't like it.. but because I want to try something else. The world is huge.

Room Tip: Rooms in villa 64 are great! Right near the snack bar, the pool and beach and lobby. I was able to g...
6  Thank Gary320
RRPP A, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear Gary:

We truly appreciate the time taken by you to write and share your review about the Grand Bahia Princpe Hotels & Resorts.

Allow us to thank you for your incredible feedback about the Grand Bahia Principe Akumal. We are glad to know that you enjoyed the attention of our staff. Please be assured that all our team has been already congratulated for the exceptional service provided. I would like to thank you for mentioning my efforts and my Name, do not forget to contact me again in case you decide to visit us again.

We all look forward to welcome you again in the near future!

Our Best Regards from the Riviera Maya,

Reviewed June 25, 2013

My husband an I just got back from GBPA a few days ago and it was great. The resort was absolutely massive. The resort was clean and the gardens were spotless. There was always staff cleaning the pools, gardens, lawn and beach.

The food was very good and the buffets were very large. There is a section for everything! Meat, fish, pizza, bread, sushi, children etc. The only section I felt was lacking was ... the mexican. From what I found the only thing usually in the mexican section were nachos, which were pretty good. There are a lot of restraunts to choose from so there really is something for everyone.

We stayed in room 6625 which was right on the beach. The view was amazing! The room was clean and large. There was a sitting area, balcony, washroom, and bedroom. The room was very nicely decorated and we loved the little animals Blanca made from the towels every morning. We did not have air conditioning for the majority of the time we were there, but there was a pretty powerfull fan over the bed that made up for it a bit.

Other than in the suites (other than ours ) there is no air conditioning on the rest of the resort. The restaraunts, bars, common areas and lounges all have fans and keep thier windows open. I found if you sat in between the windows there was always a nice cross breeze.

There are little trolly's that take you around the resort or to different resorts at the Grand Bahia if you would like. They come by pretty frequently, but hop on quick or you may have to sit on someone's lap :) .

Guillermo at the Royal Golden Lounge was amazing. He was probably the best, most knowledgable person at the resort. He really made the trip that much better.

My biggest issue with the resort was the issue I had getting drinks. The bars were frequently out of Ice, or some type of beverage and the bartender would leave for 30-40 minutes to go and get more, which meant no drinks for a while. Now that might not seem like a big deal, but when you are on the blazing heat on the beach and have no liquid, it can become quite unbearable. But honestly if that is my biggest complaint, then I am ok with it.

I will definitly go back to the Grand Bahia Principe Akumal, although I may try something closer to Cancun until an airport gets built closer to it.

Room Tip: 6625 is one of the best suites. It has great views and is close enough to everything!
5  Thank MrandMrsGB
RRPP A, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear Trip advisor Member:

Receive Greetings from The Grand Bahia Principe Akumal. It was a pleasure to have you with us.

We would like to express our gratitude for the time you have taken to share this wonderful review and the valuable comments you’ve provided in it. There is nothing as rewarding as hearing our guest saying these incredible words.

Thank you so much for your kind words and recommendations for the future travellers, we are looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Booked with first choice to stay at GBP Akumal 1-16th June. I was travelling with my husband (34) myself (34) two daughters (3 & 15 months) my father and his friend.

Flight from Birmingham was delayed by 4hrs but we were given vouchers and had a nice breakfast! Having tried with many different airlines I would rate the flight excellent. Lots of leg room good tv/film selection and nice food.
Bumped in to Cancun in a very bad storm to a wet & flooded airport! Our suitcase's had water pouring off them!

Soon got out of the airport to be met by Canada transfers who provided us with an excellent service. Water/cold beers and very helpful staff. Arrived at GBP 30/40mins before the bus which was great. I'd already emailed our restaurant reservations and room requests. We were allocated as requested 2 rooms next to each other. We also requested 2nd or 3rd floor room but we were on ground (not really an issue) in villa 62.....my father's room 6201 on the ground floor was excellent clean, fresh, bug free and air conditioned! Our room 6202 was a complete contrast. We walked in to be met with a very damp musty smell and although the ceiling fan and air con were set on full both failed to keep the room cool. On our second day we had water pouring through our ceiling light! The bin we used to catch the water filled within 20mins! But we contacted reception and it was soon fixed but left our room even more damp and smelly! We also caught 5-6 cockroaches and had a lot of ants in our room.

We didn't go on holiday to stay in our room though, so after 3 days of heavy rain we got exploring!

We were returning guests previously staying at Coba so we knew what to expect and again wasn't disappointed. Grounds still remain beautiful and well kept, majority of staff remain happy/helpful and service is still great.

While I love Coba, we love the beach and decided to stay at Akumal for this reason. I felt that the buffet in Akumal was good but was much better at Coba although busier the service is much better too. I'm not someone who likes to be waited on hand and foot, I'm quite happy to get my own but if an order was taken it was often very slow at Akumal. My main complaint by the end if our stay was the 15-20mins (sometimes longer) wait for a baby high chair. Holding a hot hungry 15month old on your lap for 20 is no easy task. The chair was spotlessly clean when it did arrive but think maybe they should keep them where guests could get one themselves or remember one has been asked for.

We tried arlequin and loved it, food, atmosphere, location all great. My children both enjoyed the food off the children's menu.
Mikado was fun loved the show. There was an error with the order between the waiter and the chef but although others complained I thought it added to the fun! And my husband lucked in by having an extra meal that no one ordered!
Fruits del mar again yummy and beautiful setting.

The main Akumal pool turned us green!! My husband looked like the hulk and all our swim wear became stained after our day here. We didn't use this pool again!

Tulum and Coba pools all excellent
The childrens waterpark at Coba is fantastic my 3 yr old spent a whole day there making friends and having fun.

Trips out and about, we firstly went to Tulum ruins and although we were enroute the main road to get a collectivo we got the taxi people bombarding us with offers! We arranged to go by taxi to the ruins and then to be taken to Tulum town and then to the beach, then to be collected to return to our hotel. We were told at the gate we had all day.....when we arrived at the ruins the driver told us we had 3hrs to do everything and although we argued and he knew we wern't happy he didn't back down so we had 1hr rush around the ruins and a 1nhalf hour sit on the beach....no time for lunch as driver was there snapping at our heels! Taxi cost approx £60 so DON'T get conned in to this!
We went to beautiful playa del Carmen via collectivo and had lunch at Senoir Frogs which was amazing and fun! Recommend to everyone.
We booked Chichen Itza via first choice which was really good and drinks/food plentiful. The ruins are stunning but the cenote I felt was a little touristy and ruined by man!

We also booked xel ha through first choice as is was the same price with transport as it is just to pay at xel ha!

We walked to the bay to the right of the hotel. It took 10-15 mins to walk with my little ones. It was well worth the walk. Unspoilt beach is breathtaking. The dog id previously read is not vicious he is all bark and no bite! He is loud but his name is Alex and he belongs to the people who live (yes live) in the old hotel.

Overall we had a fantastic holiday and I would 100% recommend GBP to anyone. Even with the few little niggles we had there is something for everyone. Enjoy

• Stayed: June 2013
8  Thank misswong30

Dear Trip advisor Member:

Thank you so much for your wonderful review and for taking the time to share your experience with us. It’s truly rewarding to know that your stay with us was wonderful and that you were pleased with our facilities. We also appreciate your comments about the little issues that you experienced, please be assured that all of them have been addressed to the Directors and to the areas involved.

Thank you again for your wonderful review and recommendations, our entire team is looking forward to welcome you back, and provide you with another pleasurable experience.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Just got back yesterday,we had a wonderful time.this complex is probably the biggest place you will ever stay at.The place is spotless,the gardens are immaculate,the pools are always being cleaned,they even scrub down the sunloungers at night,take off all the cushion covers in public areas every night.The choice of buffet food was fantastic just wish i could eat more;theres a sushi station,pizza,pasta,mexican,then theres loads of fish.meat everything.At b'fast you can help yourself to bloody mary's or champagne,then theres a massive choice of breakfast items to eat.Only complaint I have is that there's no air-con anywhere(apart from bedroom) which makes it really uncomfortable.The entertainment could be better at night we found we went to bed earlier cos of this which was fine as we got up fresh in the morning,but the shows repeat after 1 week when we were in dom rep it was a differennt show every nite for 14 days.Our room was massive we got a free upgrade to a suite 6425 ,2 minutes from 24 hr snack bar,pool, beach and a 5 min walk to main lobby,rooms are so clean no complaints,the bed was the biggest bed I've ever slept in we asked for a mattress topper and the piilows were lovely.You get lovely toiletries also.The little trains take u round the whole complex all day and night,which u need cos its sooo hot and the hotels are quite far apart.The only reason I would'nt go back again is its too far a transfer from airport our flight was at 5pm and we had to get picked up at 12pm.We went to Akumal 5 mins.Tulum 20mins.Playa del Carmen 1/2 hour by the local buses collectivos,then we did the Coco Bongo trip but we had to pick up from other hotels which took ages so we got a taxi home 350 pesos, All in all we had a great holiday,but I would say I preferred it in the daytime to nights. One more thing if its been raining the mossies will get you they were out in full force our 1st week we were lucky only a few bites ,but lots a of people we eaten alive,make sure u take lots of diahorea pills as i took Imodium which didnt work so had to buy more from hotel chemist which cost about £12;50 and they r only 90p in savers ,

7  Thank jackthejock
RRPP A, Public Relations Executive at Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Dear Trip advisor Member:

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to communicate your opinion about your last stay at the Grand Bahia Principe Akumal.

We are happy to see that there are elements of the hotel that you quite enjoyed, and we appreciate the suggestions about the animation at night. We have already shared your comments with the Director and managers in order enhance points mentioned in your review.

On behalf of all the staff, we thank you for letting us know your observations. We look forward to host you again in the near future!

Best Regards from the Riviera Maya,

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We left Toronto on a somewhat amazing afternoon, clear skies on June 1st. Air Transat flight was great as usual. We upgraded to Options plus. Plane was full. Unfortunately we arrived to what felt like a Monsoon as I’ve never, ever experienced so much rain. It lasted 4 days. It’s 1 ½ hours to the resort from the airport and our trip took about 2 hours to arrive due to the pouring rain.

Just one word to you all, when you get your luggage and get through customs and out the doors, GO STRAIGHT OUTSIDE. Do not stop, unless you are renting your own car. You will come out to an area with some food/ bathrooms and car rental counters. If you are going with a tour group, go OUTSIDE, I can’t stress this enough. We waited ½ hour for a couple that never showed up and they must have been “kidnapped” by the time share people in the airport itself. They promise to take you to your hotel etc and you end up being stranded. Just go straight through, ignore the people even if they ask if you are with so and so travel company and it’s yours they mention..... just go out. They look at your luggage and tags and determine who you are with. The people will be there with their signs outside the doors where the buses are, so you will find them. There is nothing worse than being fished into some silly thing first hours into you vacation and then you have to get yourself to the resort.

First impressions of the Akumal resort.. HUGE lobby. Very expansive which came in handy to handle the hordes of people using the free wifi. We had booked the Royal Golden Suites. It was my birthday week and I had requested a 3rd floor room as I abhor people that think wearing high heels is very appealing to the people in the room below. I also requested ocean view and they did not disappoint. Thank you Vanessa Pacheco, you made my holiday. Even though it poured torrents just seeing the wild surf and the most amazing lightening storms across the ocean was worth it. It just lit up the sky.

Those that stay in the Royal Golden suites have their own lobby area. It’s just a small building located near the snack bar in front of the beach. It houses a small bar, and a free internet room. The Keyboard takes getting used to though but it worked for us. You are brought to that lobby to check in when you advise the bellboys that you are in the Royal Golden suites so when you arrive at the lobby don’t line up with the others, just tell one of the bellboys and they will get you to the other lobby. Welcome drink was refreshing.

Most reviews are the same and mine will be almost a mirror image. The Akumal is one of 3 resorts. Well 4, as you don’t count the Sian Kaan (Dan Pablo Collection) as this is the golf club resort. Frankly if a resort is not by the beach I won’t be staying there. Those that stayed at that resort were allowed to eat at ours resort, and I was told our food was better than theirs. I found that kind of interesting.

Room : Very spacious, in fact the Royal Golden Suites have the largest rooms and closest to the beach. It did not disappoint. The only problem we had, was a massive water leak that came from under our door and also through the electrical panel. On our first night we called the lobby, and within 5 minutes we had someone come. The man deemed the water coming through the panel to be unsafe and they tried to evict us. Sorry, I was not giving up this amazing room, especially since I didn’t have to pay extra for it and if I did, even more so would I not move. I had to put up a fight. We stayed the week , and kept towels by the door and under the panel and they were soaked. It stopped raining by the Wed afternoon, so we no longer had the issue. For our inconvenicne they did give us our safe deposit rental with no charge. We also had free golf included as part of the Transat Holidays package, however we don’t golf. My coworkers just shook their head in shame lol.

Bathroom; it was clean, water was comfortable, warm when needed. We also had the use of Bathrobes and slippers. We did not need to bring shampoos, although I did find their shampoos to lack the conditioning it stated on the bottle. So if I return i will bring my own conditioner. They even gave us a toothbrush. Keep in mind I believe only the royal golden suites are you supplied with said amenities.

Maid Service; our maid performed her services very well. It was spotless, although we weren’t messy customers. She did give us some special towel art work. For my birthday our bed was beautifuly decorated and we had balloons too.

Bed; I have read many people complaining about the bed but we had no issue with it. It was firm and I slept like a baby. In fact we had no issues with noise whatsoever. We were in Building 66, Room 25.

Lobby; as stated earlier MASSIVE! Marble everywhere, lots of room to walk, and handicap friendly too. The shop seemed to have a few products in case you were missing anything.

To me the bathroom of the lobby personifies the resort as a whole. This one totally caught me off guard. Very clean, large and beautiful. So I knew we were going to be in good hands for our week.

Restaurants:
Buffet Riviera Restaurant – very good quality, lots of variety. Loved the small dessert portions. There was something for everyone. There was only one flavour for the ice cream though. So chocoholics had withdrawal symptoms that week. Try and sit by a window and get the wonderful breeze. We only ate two times for the buffet dinners and it was enjoyable. Breakfasts and lunches were great as well.

A la cartes: I loved the fact that this Resort allows us to book our restaurants before leaving home. Thank you again, Vanessa Pacheco for coordinating this for the patrons. We saved vacation time instead of waiting in line at the resort as with past experiences. Many resorts only allow you to book the day you are dining and it's so annoying. This was such a peace of mind. Kudos to the Bahia company! We ate at the La Gran Torguga-Rodizio, the Don Pablo, Le Gourmet, Dolce Vita, Frutos Del Mar.

The Dolce Vita and Frutos Del Mar are located in the Akumal Resort. Don Pablo and La Gran Tortuga-Rodizio are at the Tulum Resort and Le Gourmet at Coba Resort. These are the ones we dined in. The Dolce Vita, Frutos Del Mar and Gran Tortuga were ok. I just didn’t like the ambiance though as these are restaurants close to the pools with large open windows. Ok for Lunch or breakfast. However, the Don Pablo and Le Gourmet to me were outstanding. Those were the only two to offer us bottled wine with our meal and it was Chilean wine. Top notch service so get your reservation for those two for certain. I am very impressed with their service in allowing us to experience the dining in the other sections. This way you are ensured you’re a la cartes that you are allowed. What we did was we went to each resort on alternate days for breakfast or lunch. So you may want to do that as well. We didn’t eat lunch too often as we were too full from breakfast. We did love the Tulum buffet as it as it had an open air fountain.. very pretty. Reminded me of a European Villa. The birds would be flying by, and we got visited by a cat that sat by us looking for scraps, and I could not resist those beautiful eyes!

The Snack bar was open 24 hours. It had ribs, chicken, burgers, hotdogs, etc. and great fries, loved the interaction with the racoons and coatamundi, really cool animals.

Beach; Keep in mind many parts of teh Mayan Riveira is filled with Natural rock formations. So there is not a lot of beach. Howeer in this case they managed to create a little lagoon. so it's safe for children. However the beach at the Tulum side was nice. Lots of fish.

Entertainment

This I found to be very different. Yes you had the lip synching, which resort doesn’t? The Michael Jackson show was fabulous. Great choreography. The shows were an hour apart from the resorts so you could jump on a tram and attend another one and catch it. And they remind you. One day there was Opera. I’ve never attended an Opera before and they were amazing in my opinion. Very well done considering the venue. They did use some outside talent as well and the Circus night was awesome. Very well done, nice costumes as well through the week, so definitely we enjoyed the night entertainment. Thursdays is the Mexico night at the Haciencda (where the disco is) so the resort is quiet that night. No shows are scheduled at any of the resorts. I believe you have to pay for the tickets so we didn’t go. The disco, and I’m a disco diva was not up to par. First of all, allowing people to dance on the dance floor with drinks which made the janitor come up every couple of minutes to clean the floor is really a turn off and very annoying. Also the music was geared to the tweens who were not even present as the disco is for 18 and over. I expected to hear more Mexican music but they leaned to the trash that we hear here at home. The Hacienda is only reachable by the trams and you have to run to get it as they get full fast. We only went twice and both times we left early to get back to our resort. I wouldn’t attempt walking it unless you are at the Tulum resort as that is the closest. Otherwise you are trekking through a road that goes through the jungle. Also again, the rain dictated a lot of the activities.

Water Activities. This I can’t comment on as I didn’t see anything by the Royal golden end as that is where we stayed when the weather was ok. For 2 days there was no beach bar service as there was an electrical issue in the bar. Again Mexico time moves a lot slower than Canada or USA time. But we took it in stride. We had to get our drinks at the snack bar. We had no problems getting a palapa as there are at least 50 in that section. Again the weather dictated a lot about the beach activities or lack of. I’m sorry if I keep referring to the weather, but it did play a large part in the activities of the resort that week.

Animal Life; lots of birds, Coatimundis (a cross between a raccoon and an ant eater) you’ll see them at the snack bar and racoons. It was fun seeing them and lots of Iguanas too. They came out once the rains subsided as we didn’t see 1 the first 4 days.

Transportation; Well this I can’t say enough about. Again, we were in very stormy weather and if it were not for this, well we would have been always soaked. Although our room did have an umbrella and you did NOT leave without it. The trams were a life saver. Seeing the weather was so crappy we went from one resort to another, as did everyone else to pass the time.

Bars – just Ok. No spectacular drinks. Not all bars had drink lists and they seemed to be limited. As well I noticed at the main bars, that the hostesess weren’t that attentive. They either saw you, or they didn’t. One time, when we approached the bar, we asked for a drink and we never received it. The bartender forgot about us and we were right in front of him. But that happened only once and ticked off my spouse. The bar I loved the most is the Tulum lobby bar. I’ve never seen any bar that huge. Incredible really. Great service and awesome dry martinis.

Miscellaneous; we were warned about the time share people, but were never approached at the resort itself as they have some there.

Overall, it’s a great resort. The trek from the airport is quite long but it moves quickly eventually and we had a direct drive in an air conditioned vehicle. The weather definitely put a damper on our holiday but obviously this is not the resorts problem. The service was good and grounds impeccable. There isn’t that many flowers to give it colour and panache but we enjoyed the grounds.

Thank you staff of the Gran Bahia Riveira Maya resorts. I have rated this a 5 rating. We did have fun despite some of the issues. We felt very welcome and there were so many different nationalities it made the week fun despite the blip in the weather. We will be back and hopefully will endure a better weather vacation!

Room Tip: Villa 66, room 23 and 24 have nice views, straight onto the ocean. other villas on the beach, 65 and...
4  Thank rustysheba
RRPP A, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

Dear Trip advisor Member:

Thank you very much for sharing your comments with all Trip Advisor readers.

It is a pleasure to receive such good comments about our staff, considering that our goal is to pamper all our guests and create memorable experiences. Allow us to thank you for mentioning some importants detail to improve; we will take proper actions to prevent any inconvenience in the future.

I appreciate your mention in relation to my service, it was a pleasure to be at your service. Hope to welcome you once again at the Grand Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts