My husband and I just got back from our 5 day stay at this resort. We had a blast!
The place is absolutely gorgeous, the grounds are immaculately clean. Postcard perfect, everything you would imagine a Caribbean resort to look like. Everyone was so friendly and kind.
Some areas of the water were a bit rocky (though not enough to need swim shoes), but those areas had more fish when snorkeling. Other areas of the beach were of softer sand, and that's where everyone was swimming around. So, something for everyone. We did plenty of both.
Let me recognize some of the AMAZING staff. From the moment we pulled up, we were greeted by Priscilla, the guest service manager. She was warm, kind, helpful. We had previously emailed her with our a-la-carte meal requests and top floor request, and she had everything set up for us perfectly. She was readily available and we bumped into her everyday we were there.
At the El Mar beach bar, Gamanuel was an awesome bartender. So sweet, cheerful, kind as well. At the main Akumal buffet restaurant, the same two waiters tended to us throughout our stay, Jose and Feliciano. They knew our drink of choice when they saw us coming, escorted us to a table, and kept the refills coming. They were very attentive, frequently asking us if everything was to our liking. At the Mikado restaurant, Angel was our chef. He was amazing and put on a great show.
As for entertainment, Carlos and Merce were so fun, hosting obstacle-course type games on the beach, zumba at the pool, dancing in the water. Fun, fun, fun!
We booked through Apple Vacations, and it is definitely the way to go. Transfers to and from the hotel, an on-site rep Julio Chan who was available to book any tours or excursions for you. They hosted an extra special 4-course meal just for Apple Vacationers, complete with a mariachi band, a special gift, and prize drawings. Just so nice and thoughtful, and a great way to keep us booking our vacations through them!
As for some of the previously negative reviews I had read on TripAdvisor, this is what I saw. Every morning, I saw men scrubbing the pool and power-washing the pool area. Every morning, I saw men raking the beach and cleaning the beach chairs. At any given moment, there was someone sweeping the walkways. One morning, local women made sand sculptures in front of the resort. The restaurants were pristine. The food was delicious. Our room was beautiful and quiet, the bed was comfortable and made-up everyday by the housekeepers. These same housekeepers would pick fresh flowers everyday and decorate our room. Our mini-bar was restocked every morning. I never saw any bugs other than mosquitos at night (they had just gotten a bunch of rain the week before, nothing that could be helped). NOT ONE PERSON was rude to us! No, I do not speak Spanish, but you will find that if you say "Hola" with a smile, anyone will smile back.
We had previously stayed at the Bahia Principe in Punta Cana, and since we had had a great time there, we decided to stick with what we knew. Well, the Bahia Principe Akumal was so much more fun. I can't say enough about this place. It was absolutely amazing. The wheels are already turning in our heads about the next time we can go back. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 swimming pools 4 jacuzzis 2 children's swimming pools Solarium with sun umbrellas and sun loungers BAHIA SPA (additional charges apply) Sports centre: a gym, 5 tennis courts, bicycles Motor sports (additional charges apply) Aquatic activity and diving centre Entertainment amphitheatre Wi-Fi access in the lobby (free) and with an no additional charge in the rooms Buffet restaurant opposite the sea 3 a la carte restaurants 9 bars Cocktail Lounge Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, cenotes and Mayan jungle Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and a night club Rooms 758 spacious Junior Suite Superior rooms. Equipped with: Two full-size beds or one king-size bed A living area with sofa A fully fitted bathroom: shower, washbasin, dryer and magnifying mirror Hydro massage tub Bathrobe and slippers (to be enjoyed throughout your stay) Pool towel (to be enjoyed throughout your stay) Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Direct-dial telephone (additional charges applicable to external calls) Radio alarm clock Flat-screen TV Mini-bar with mini alcoholic beverages (included) Coffee set Safe (included) Ironing set 24 hour room service Butler service (upon request) Evening turn-down service Pillow menu Wi-Fi (no additional charge) Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy facilities designed especially for them: Children's swimming pool Mini Club (children aged 4 to 12) Mini Disco in the evenings Bahia Scouts Water Park Teen's club (children aged 11 to 16) Other services An internal mini-train service providing access to all the facilities: 24-hour medical service (additional charges apply) Pharmacy (additional charges apply) Personalised menu options for celiacs and diabetics Specialised wedding, anniversary and event planning service Casin ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, BP Travel USA, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, TravelUp, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Akumal
- Bahia Principle
- Bahia Principe Mexico
- Gran Bahia Principe Hotel Akumal
- Mexico Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Tulum
- Grand Bahia Principe Akumal
- Bahia Principe Riviera Maya
- Bahia Mexico Principe
- Akumal Gran Bahia Principe