“The most amazing time!”

Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Greensboro, North Carolina
“The most amazing time!”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

My husband and I just got back from our 5 day stay at this resort. We had a blast!

The place is absolutely gorgeous, the grounds are immaculately clean. Postcard perfect, everything you would imagine a Caribbean resort to look like. Everyone was so friendly and kind.

Some areas of the water were a bit rocky (though not enough to need swim shoes), but those areas had more fish when snorkeling. Other areas of the beach were of softer sand, and that's where everyone was swimming around. So, something for everyone. We did plenty of both.

Let me recognize some of the AMAZING staff. From the moment we pulled up, we were greeted by Priscilla, the guest service manager. She was warm, kind, helpful. We had previously emailed her with our a-la-carte meal requests and top floor request, and she had everything set up for us perfectly. She was readily available and we bumped into her everyday we were there.

At the El Mar beach bar, Gamanuel was an awesome bartender. So sweet, cheerful, kind as well. At the main Akumal buffet restaurant, the same two waiters tended to us throughout our stay, Jose and Feliciano. They knew our drink of choice when they saw us coming, escorted us to a table, and kept the refills coming. They were very attentive, frequently asking us if everything was to our liking. At the Mikado restaurant, Angel was our chef. He was amazing and put on a great show.

As for entertainment, Carlos and Merce were so fun, hosting obstacle-course type games on the beach, zumba at the pool, dancing in the water. Fun, fun, fun!

We booked through Apple Vacations, and it is definitely the way to go. Transfers to and from the hotel, an on-site rep Julio Chan who was available to book any tours or excursions for you. They hosted an extra special 4-course meal just for Apple Vacationers, complete with a mariachi band, a special gift, and prize drawings. Just so nice and thoughtful, and a great way to keep us booking our vacations through them!

As for some of the previously negative reviews I had read on TripAdvisor, this is what I saw. Every morning, I saw men scrubbing the pool and power-washing the pool area. Every morning, I saw men raking the beach and cleaning the beach chairs. At any given moment, there was someone sweeping the walkways. One morning, local women made sand sculptures in front of the resort. The restaurants were pristine. The food was delicious. Our room was beautiful and quiet, the bed was comfortable and made-up everyday by the housekeepers. These same housekeepers would pick fresh flowers everyday and decorate our room. Our mini-bar was restocked every morning. I never saw any bugs other than mosquitos at night (they had just gotten a bunch of rain the week before, nothing that could be helped). NOT ONE PERSON was rude to us! No, I do not speak Spanish, but you will find that if you say "Hola" with a smile, anyone will smile back.

We had previously stayed at the Bahia Principe in Punta Cana, and since we had had a great time there, we decided to stick with what we knew. Well, the Bahia Principe Akumal was so much more fun. I can't say enough about this place. It was absolutely amazing. The wheels are already turning in our heads about the next time we can go back. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

5 Thank TSnider17
RRPP A, Public Relations Executive at Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Trip advisor Member:

We truly appreciate the time taken by you to share your feedback about the Grand Bahia Principe Akumal.

We strive for ultimate guest satisfaction and comments such as yours, truly inspire us to maintain the high levels of service and to keep us on the good work

We hope that this visit was the first of many and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards from Mexico,

Grand Bahia Principe Akumal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,032)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Buffalo, Wyoming
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Spent 6 days here and had a great time. The staff was always helpful and friendly! Thank you to Priscilla for getting us settled in and making our restaurant reservations for us before we arrived.

Beautiful beaches and pool areas cleaned daily. Entertainment teams did a nice job with poolside and beach activities.

Had some difficulty with ants in our bathroom, and felt the food was average to good.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank lholt85
Dear Trip Advisor Member:

Thank you for choosing Gran Bahia Principe Akumal, Riviera Maya and share your comments about your last stay with us

We are glad to read that we got our main goal, which is your entire satisfaction with our services and installations. Messages like this ones, are the best tool to motivate all our staff.

We invite you to visit us again, so please contact us before your next visit and we will try our best to accommodate all your wishes.We hope to receive you soon at your house in The Mexican Caribbean!

Receive our best regards,

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Riviera Maya

hampshire
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Myself and my boyfriend (aged 22 and 24) stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe Akumal from 30th May to 13th June, booking with Thomson/First Choice. Overall, we had a great time but as with any resort, there will always be positives and negatives and therefore I will try and give a fair review of the hotel to help you decide whether it's for you or not!

I should mention this was my second time to Mexico, staying at Grand Palladium previously which was fab, so had pretty high standards. All in all, I have to say they were pretty similar hotels with a similar vibe and style but the Palladium probably edged it slightly of which I will explain why.

Our outbound journey was pretty traumatic, we were on a delayed flight with Thomson which had to divert with an overnight stay in Bermuda due to the toilets on the plane breaking (but this is another story!) so by time we arrived in Mexico and at the hotel, we were exhausted and were relieved that there wasn't any problem with our late arrival with the room with check in being very smooth.

The overall layout of the hotel is on one huge complex, with the three hotels, Coba, Akumal and Tulum each having their own parts but you being able to use all the facilities of the three. We were in the Akumal staying in villa 47 which I feel was a fantastic location, probably one of the best villas in the Akumal part due to it's close proximity to the beach and facilities. We did email ahead and request a beach front, top floor room. We received a bottom floor beach front room so got half of our request which was fine with us, although we did get a few bugs in the room which is why we requested a higher floor room in the first place! That being said, the room which was a Junior Suite, was immaculately clean and spacious and the maid was very efficient. In fact, I generally felt that the overall maintenance and cleanliness of the entire hotel was fantastic and it was so well maintained, with gardeners and cleaners looking after the grounds constantly. However, had some problems with the toilet blocking in our room (3 times!) which was annoying and although they were very quick in sending someone to fix it the first time, on the next time, they took almost 2 hours to come and fix it which was really frustrating. We also kept running out of bottled water and again, they took almost an hour to bring some quite late at night when the bars were closed when we didn't have any other option.

In terms of food and drink, we found the buffets of a good standard with the usual all inclusive selection and could find something to eat every night. We used all our a la carte reservations so 6 in total over 2 weeks and ate in the Dolce Vita, Arlequin, Tequila, Mikado (Japanese), Mediterranean and Brazilian and found them all to be pretty good, with the best one being the Arlequin. We ate lunch in the Dolce Vita most days, as they had a small buffet available each day but this offered a good range of lunchtime food without the hustle and bustle of the main buffet restaurants. In comparison to the other hotels, we found the Tulum and Coba to have slightly better buffet restaurants than the Akumal so tended to eat in them but it's good to have a bit of variety and the choice to pick your favourite. The service is a bit hit and miss throughout the hotel, we did tip and still found that we were often forgotten about in both the buffets and a la cartes but we didn't really let this bother us as my boyfriend was just as willing to go up to the bar himself in the restaurants and order our drinks (which then usually meant we got worried waiters rush over and apologise anyway!)

We spend most of our days by the beach but being a beach person, one of the main initial disappointments for me was the main beach as I felt it was really quite crowded and busy, with the sea and sand not being quite as perfect and "Caribbean-y" as other places I have been (including Cuba and another hotel in Mexico). That being said, this is me being being really quite fussy as it was still lovely to sit on and if you walked further down the beach, it was much quieter although there were a few more rocks in the sea. My boyfriend snorkelled in the sea here and said it was pretty good with quite a lot of fish to see for so close to the shore which was good.

We found that we were able to get a sunbed by the beach anytime of day but it was near on impossible to get a sunbed around the pool any time after about 10am. This was a bit frustrating as most of the sunbeds are actually empty of people and only reserved with towels which the hotel is supposed to not allow. I think they need to enforce this a bit more as it's quite annoying.

We went to Chichen Itza and Xel Ha which were both excellent and probably the highlights of our holiday. Had some bad weather in the first week so we lost a few days to rain (obviously not the hotels fault!) so didn't get out and about as much as we probably would've done had the weather been great everyday. The hotel tries to put on a wet weather schedule but even they seemed quite overwhelmed with the extent of the rain and couldn't really cope, there were floods everywhere and the floors were slippy. We were saved by having the gym to use and having some good film channels on the TV in the room when it as raining!

One of the main disappointing things for us was being unable to use the spa facilities at all without incurring a cost. It was at the cheapest, $15 to use the steam room/sauna/indoor jacuzzi facilities for 25 mins which is the first time I have ever seen an extra cost needed for these in an all inclusive resort. I expect to have to pay for specific spa treatments but have usually found that guests are allowed to use the other facilities for free.

We spent most evenings either at the Hacienda or the Tulum resort as we found this to be a more sociable environment, with more seating in the bar and lobby areas. We went to the nightclub lots which we really enjoyed, it was nice to have a few different places and bars to go in the evening so you don't get bored. The drinks are also really well made and of a good standard. All the lobbies have free Wi-Fi which is quick enough for everyday browsing so you can keep in touch with the rest of the world if you want.

The trams that take you from hotel to hotel are great although my main tip would be to avoid the red Hacienda one, as it doesn't come very often and when it does, it stinks of petrol and it's not as fun to ride on! We actually found the best way to get to the Hacienda was to get a tram to the Tulum from the Akumal and then the Hacienda is actually only a really short walk from the Tulum lobby so save yourself some time waiting and walk the rest!

Overall, we had a really great and relaxing holiday to Mexico and because we were lucky enough to get a really good last minute deal, we felt we had got good value for money for a 4 star hotel. I think if I had paid over a £1000 each for this hotel, I would have been disappointed as I feel that this resort lacks the exclusivity and "wow factor" that other hotels have but I think if you go with an open mind and try to remember not to stress about small things, you will have a fab time!

Room Tip: If you want a villa close to everything and beach front, ask for 47.
4 Thank miniv15
Dear trip advisor Member:

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us such a detailed review about the Grand Bahia Principe Akumal. It will certainly help us to keep focus on costumer satisfaction and fulfillment of our hotel standards.

We will take actions in order to meet our values, which are the full satisfaction of our guests. We also would like to thank you for share the services that you enjoyed.

Please be assured that we keep on working to improve our services and we hope that you will allow us another chance to restore all your confidence in Grand Bahia Principe Hotels and Resorts.

Handforth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We have just arrived home from the akumal 15/6/13 when we pulled up we thought wow it really looked grand. well where do I start.
The rooms are full of bugs you share your bed with them when you ask the front desk to get rid of them they say yes but it never happens. you get eaten alive does not matter what you use or take the staff offer no advices at all what to use you expect some bugs but believe us or not these are just beyond a joke.
The food is great in most of the restaurant but a one if you want to share your food with fliers then your ok when this was mentioned to the staff they said there was none around and that the fruit was still ok to eat it was fresh. well all I will say is just go there and have a look.
The staff are not helpful I am disabled and could of done with a hand some times but nobody offered this. the public relations staff are not at all helpful or friendly god help you if you for get that you have booked a restaurant even though we did apologies for this. some of the staff are ok especially Carmen in the shows room she was very friendly always had a smile on her face.
We were looking forward to our holiday because we have been to mexico before and was looking forward to going back but what a disappointment this hotel was we could not wait to get out of there and will never go back to this hotel.
Also when you go for your meals in the buffet room watch out for the time share people they are there first thing in the morning until last thing at night what a pain they never leave you alone.
on a last note all I will say is if you want to be bitten alive or not have good services then this is the hotel for you.

7 Thank Linda H
Dear Linda:

Thank you for taking the time to share you feedback with the Tripadvisor community about your vacations at the Grand Bahia Principe Akumal.

We sincerely apologize for any bad impressions caused by the service and the conditions of the rooms. Rest assured that your feedback will be shared to the concerning areas for its consideration.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the near future and we are confident that we will exceed your expectations in every aspect.

Bridgwater, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Stayed here with my husband from 30th May for two weeks .At first sight it looks a beautiful hotel .It has marble floors and thatched roofs which look lovely .However when it rains the floors become like an ice rink as the rain comes in through the roof in several places and makes the floor very slippery. I saw many people go over and went over myself once.When the weather is good the complex is very nice with lots of pools ,bars etc to keep you amused.The staff are on the whole work very hard and special mention goes to Carmen in the bar for her excellent service ,always delivered with her lovely smile.The brazilian a la carte is a must ,it is so unusual and a trip to delphinus dolphins to swim with these lovely creatures is a trip worth doing. Last but not least a special mention to Neil and Sarah, a lovely young couple we met there who brightened up our holiday with their company.Special thank you to Kia Miguel and James, the reps for their advice and the excellent idea of the swap box.Every hotel should adopt your idea.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank liz2442
RRPP A, Public Relations Executive at Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Liz:

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your recent visit at the Grand Bahia Principe Akumal.

We continuously strive to create the best possible experience for our guests so your review will be an important tool of improvement. Once again, thank you for expressing your opinion; as we are always looking for ways to improve our service and achieve our guests satisfaction.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back at Grand Bahia hotels & Resorts.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

This is the most disgusting hotel that we have ever had the misfortune of staying in, myself and my partner have been fortunate enough to travel extensivley over the years and nothing has ever come close to this.

The rooms may have been a decent size but they were dated and the floors had huge cracks running through them with missing tiles, the linen provided was dirty and stained, the ceiling fan in the room squeaked for the entire night and the amenities in the fridge were at best basic.

The majority of the staff were rude - very few of them greeted us or acknowledged us in anyway during our stay. The staff in the restaurants seemed to ignore the fact that you were sat at a dirty table that needed cleaning and we were forever waiting for water or cold drinks to be served. The only exception to this seemed to be the guys driving the golf carts who were usually friendly and helpful.

The restaurants were ridiculously hot, which made eating in them near on unbearable. These restaurants are not air conditioned, they have 1ceiling fan that serves 8 tables and if you are unfortunate enough not to be placed directly under one of them then you can enjoy your breakfast and dinner with the added flavour of sweat.
The buffet food never changed and the majority of it was at best luke warm. 3 of our party ended uo with uoset stomachs before the end of our stay.

The swimming pool in ackumal turned my bikini green after one swim, at no point during our entire 2 week stay did we see it cleaned. The pools in tulum were much cooler and we saw them being cleaned constantly throughout the day.

THE MOST HORRIFIC THING: During our stay the River Maya experienced some heavy rain. On our last morning we woke up at 6am to hear the sound of water coming into our bathroom, we went into the toilet and to our horror wesaw that there was water coming up into the room via the drain in the bathroom - COMPLETE WITH HUMAN WASTE. WE immediately contacted the reception who told us to wait and someone would be with us. We waited and waited and no one came, in total we had to call 6 times and waited for 2hrs before someone came and moved us into a clean room, the reason we had to wait so long was apparently due to no one being available to move us. By the time someone arrived the water had spread under the bathroom door and across to the other side of the room. When we were later in the buggy going across to the foyer we saw the cleaning team holding their noses as they prceeded to clean up the mess, whilst holding their noses, yet the management felt it ok to leave us standing in someone elses excrement for 2hours.

This is by far the worst experience we have ever had in any hotel and please don't be fooled by the response that appears to come from the management, which tells customers who have had an unpleasant experience in this hotel that they will adress the issues because they don't, none of the previous issues raised on this sight have been adressed, they simply sweep the rubbish out the door and wait for the next set of arrivals - literally.

• Stayed May 2013
4 Thank NH85
Dear Trip advisor Member:

First and foremost, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Grand Bahia Principe Akumal. All guest feedback, both positive and negative, allows us the opportunity to improve our services.

Please, rest assured that all of your review has been shared with the pertinent departments in order to improve the areas mentioned. Receive our most sincere apologies for the bad experience that you had with us during your stay, and for not have received the proper attention for the problem at the room

We truly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort in the near future and change the poor perception you seem to have of us, and also compensate the issues happened in your last visit.

Our best regards from Mexico,

Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We flew and booked an all inclusive package with First Choice - I wouldn't recommend them again as we had numerous problems with them which resulted going through the complaints procedure and not getting a room upgrade as was told.

Fights - plane was dated, food was okay, a large amount of turbulence!

Transfer to hotel - took 2 and a half hours! Not the 1 to 1 and a half as stated.

Check in - quite disorganised and the staff at the reception desk were not overly helpful and did come across as rude and uncaring (obviously depending who serves you).

Room - Once we were taken to our room (we booked a double) it was actually a twin room - we rung reception to try and sort this but they said the hotel was full and would have to wait until the morning. We therefore went back to reception in the morning to swap keys - were told to come back at half 2 to get our new key whilst they cleaned the room (which was more than fair enough), however they were still cleaning the room when we were told it was finished and didn't actually get in our room until 4! So all day we were without our belongings and a room to go to. Our room was fine and clean though once we were in and settled. We liked the different towel animals we got every day!

A La Cartes - we pre booked all of these which was great and all sorted for us.

- Frutos del mer restaurant - very poor, not much selection of sea food.

- Mikado - amazing! Pre book the show table, great show and tasty food.

- La Gran Tortuga - really lovely and different, meat was cooked very nicely and great variety.

- Dolce Vita - Italian and they do steak here (even though it doesn't say steak on the menu, it's the beef main course), was delicious.

- Tequila - one of our favourites! Great authentic food and setting, I'd recommend the lime soup! Service was dire from one of the waiters however.

- Don Pablo - our favourite of all, amazing service and high quality food with a lively atmosphere - remember to wear long trousers and shirt/formal wear for this one as they are strict with this.

The buffet restaurants are good, but try to mix them up around the resorts (Coba and Tulum as well as Akumal) to get a bit of variety. The buffet restaurants get very humid. Service is very hit and miss, Coba seems to generally be better for this.

Pools - we went to the main pool once which was lovely and had a pool bar, however our swim stuff and some of our skin turned green after we got out! Too much chlorine, we didn't go back after this.

Bars - all great and open every day, best service at the bars, amazing selection of cocktails, have one in a coconut on the beach!

Beaches - beautiful, relaxing, paradise here. The best part we found was the one at the end of Akumal where the golden club villas are; it doesn't get too busy here and there are always sun loungers available. A 30 second walk to the bar and the perfect area to swim in - hundreds of colourful fish will surround you.

Entertainment - a bit dated but the audience participation ones are funny to watch (the couples night and the start of the show at Hacienda on a Thursday). Things seem to wrap up at about half ten on the resorts so go up to Hacienda for the later things going on.

Be warned - you will get bitten loads by the Mosquitos!!!!! The repellent bands that people try to sell you do NOT work! Bring insect repellent and lots of it, as well as bite cream.

High factor sun cream needed as you will burn even when it's cloudy!

Overall I would recommend this resort as it will feel like you are in paradise and when you get the good service and no problems it is definitely worth it. Just be aware that the service isn't always the best and can come across as rude and that the rooms are not as luxurious as depicted prior to going. Hopefully you will enjoy your trip like we did! Would very much consider going back when we return to Mexico.

Room Tip: Top floor room will keep you away from any bugs! We stayed in Villa block 79 which was perfect dista...
3 Thank Kctreac08
RRPP A, Public Relations Executive at Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Member:

First and foremost, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback here on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at the Grand Bahia Principe Akumal.

All guest's feedback, both positive and negative, allows us the opportunity to improve our services. Please rest assured that all of your feedback has been shared with the pertinent departments in order to be improve the areas need it .

We truly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort in the near future and receive you with a very especial welcome.

Regards from Mexico,

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Riviera Maya

Grand Bahia Principe Akumal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!