“Will Be Back Soon!”

Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed March 2, 2013

My family stayed at this resort from 17th to the 24th of Feb in the golden section. It was worth every penny. The resort is immaculate, the staff are all friendly and very hard working. No complaints about the food. The ice cream was a hit with the kids! E-mailed ahead of time to reserve a la cartes and requested a show table at the Mikado. All requested were looked after by Vanessa (Thank You). Huge resort always something to do, lots to do off the resort nearby as well. Rooms were nice and clean but a little dated, fridge was always stocked daily. Take lots of dollars for tipping these people deserve it! We stayed in building #67, with a nice view of the ocean. Only regrets are not taking more pictures and should of stayed longer. Will be booking for next year.

Room Tip: Building 67 had a ocean view, find map online of resort and email ahead to request, because most ro...
3  Thank Sunny-AB
RRPP A, Public Relations Executive at Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you so much for this amazing review about the time that you spent at Grand Bahia Principe Akumal, Riviera Maya

We are happy to read that we exceeded your expectations, especially due the great service of all our team, be assured that we will pass your lovely comments.

We hope to have the pleasure to host you again, and please do not hesitate to contact us again, so we can prepare a very nice room for you and your family.

Our kindest regards from the Mexican Caribbean!

Public Relations

Write a ReviewReviews (10,183)

Reviewed March 2, 2013

My wife and 2 children (4 and 6 yrs) along with both sets of grandparents went to GBP Akumal from Feb 10 - 24th as part of a larger wedding group. The trip was organized by the newlyweds back in the summer of '12 with GBP Akumal chosen as their resort of choice.

Having been to Secrets Maroma Beach only a few months back with my wife, I suppose it's completely unfair to compare the two resorts given they are very different in many ways but it was hard not to. I'd received comments and feedback from many friends (including the newlyweds) who had previously stayed at the GBP Akumal and GBP complex so I had a pretty good understanding of what to expect.

Upon arrival, my first impression was favourable. GBP Akumal isn't unlike many other all-inclusive resorts in sunny destinations, as they have a large grand open-air entrance with a big statue, water feature, and lots of staff waiting to help. What is somewhat unique to GBP Akumal, however, is that it is a part of a massive resort complex now including a fourth GBP resort, Sian Ka'an, that has added to its size and, as a result, the number of people (guests and staff). We arrived at night so I didn't truly appreciate the size and scope of how big this place truly is but after speaking with our tour representative the next morning...I was left shaking my head in a bit of awe. According to our tour operator, and confirmed by several staff who I spoke with, the four resorts comprise approximately 6000 guests and 4000 staff. Yes, 10,000 people at peak times. A conversation point that continued throughout our stay...

To accommodate all of the people, there is a coordinated and complex network of golf cart 'trains' and other modes of intra-resort transportation that gets people around. I said many times that I'd love to see it from the air just to watch the 'ant hill' and how everyone moved around.

Check in was as quick as it could be and while we weren't offered an escort to find our building, directions were good and our building was close by.
[I won't harp on the theme but one has to realize the sheer size of this place...unless you're in a building (there are literally dozens strewn across the property) close to the 'main' part of the complex, you're in for a long walk or you're taking the 'train' everywhere you go.]
Upon entering our room were dismayed to discover that we weren't given the King bed room we booked nor was a second bed made up for our second child. A call to the front desk didn't result in a satisfactory result so a personal visit had to be made. A short time later a couple staff showed up at the room and pushed the two double beds together. I was OK with the compromise, as I wasn't prepared or willing to have that issue be my 'last stand'...and I was also told there were no King rooms available....so there was really no point. Staff also brought and made up a single bed for my second child and their sleeping arrangement based on how the room was set up was actually really good.

The room amenities were very basic (drip coffee maker, fridge that actually worked - several in our group had fridges that didn't work, a small bathroom, and a ceiling fan and A/C that worked just good enough - again, several in our group had problems with their fans and A/C) and did the trick...since we really didn't spend a lot of time in our room. It was no where close to the water and there were no expectations it would have a view of anything. My wife and I were very appreciative of being placed on the ground floor. I'm not sure if that was done on purpose but with two young kids it was a welcome placement.

As was mentioned to me by several people prior to the trip, the rooms are getting 'tired' and are in need of an update. I don't generally care about that sort of thing since I'm there more for the food, drink, socializing, and pool/beach amenities but I do still notice the black mould on the shower caulking, floor tiles that are wobbly or loose, cracks in wood and plaster, etc. I can't help but think that because of how large this place is, it will likely take hundreds of thousands, if not millions, to complete a major update. The beds and pillows were my major source of disappointment with the rooms. Even having a pre-arranged pillow top on the beds (a quick email to Vanessa - who you see dutifully replying to our TripAdvisor posts - solved that...she was wonderful!) didn't mitigate the fact that the beds (at least the ones we had) were like slate and the pillows lumpy, hard, and inconsistent. I ended up developing shoulder pain (I'm generally a side sleeper) after the first couple nights because of how hard the beds are and had to improvise and adapt. I don't think I got a good night's sleep until about night 6 or 7.

We did a fair bit of exploring around the three (Coba, Tulum, and Akumal) resorts and we all commented on how we were glad we were staying at the Akumal complex. It seemed the smaller of the three and while only Tulum and Akumal front the beach, everyone in any of the complexes has full access to the entire complex. We made the early decision (afternoon of first day) to make our 'home' during our stay at the Akumal activity pool (the southern most pool near the 24hr snack bar and Dolce Vita/Fruto del Mar restaurants). This pool was where the pool volleyball, water polo, activity staff, bar, bathrooms, snacks, etc all take place and has a great kids pool area. Sadly, as described many times here, we had to play the 'chair reservation' game, as chairs are more valuable than gold here and are snapped up faster than a Coatii can take bread out of your hand. I wish we didn't have to do it but you very quickly realize that in order to get a chair you must play the game. We had one family member who got up early every day before she went on her morning walk to get us chairs and that worked great. A unfortunate necessity. We stayed in this area the entire trip since it was central for us, the kids loved it, and was close to every amenity we needed/wanted. Music, although the same pretty much every day (3 hrs of Michael Buble on repeat some mornings was a bit too much), wasn't too loud. What truly makes this area worth spending time at are the activity staff.

I'll lump them in together as far as activities and the 'kids club' because they all do dual duties but these folks, like a lot of the resorts, are what made our vacations with the kids a good one. I'm sure I'm missing out a few people but Azinethe (who is absolutely wonderful with the kids and has more energy than a person should), Eduardo aka "Lalo" (sorry for hitting you "there" with that water balloon!), Martine, and Merse (from Spain), were all wonderful. Their overwhelmingly positive attitudes and demeanour with the kids (and adults) brought smiles and positive comments from our entire group. These folks work at least 12 hrs a day (the hotel even has them dressing up in costumes and handing out time share pamphlets at 7:30 am some mornings after they've worked until 10 pm the night before after putting in an all-day shift) and 6 days a week. Azinethe, as I mentioned above, truly stood out and both my children were sad to leave her behind. She's educated as a Marine Biologist and working as an entertainment staff (why she's not working in the Dolphin program I don't know). She is truly a gem and one of only a couple people I will remember and talk about as I describe this trip in the years to come. For us, it's the kids activities and the staff that worked with the kids that brought this to a "4 star" rating. Everything else is a "3".

From where we plunked ourselves every day it wasn't far to the beach but swimming in the Caribbean required a bit of a walk. There's not a lot of sandy beach water entry for the Akumal resort because of the limestone shore (it looks like lava flow but it's really limestone - like most of the Yucatan Peninsula I believe) but if that's your thing...you can walk to it as you walk towards the Tulum complex or the small little man-made cove at the south end of the Akumal property (there are a lot of fish in this little area that people, rightly or wrongly, feed). Past this to the south is a beautiful, despite a lot of washed up garbage, limestone shore that holds hours of exploring as you make your way to a small bay where brown pelicans spend their days swooping down for fish and a handful of resort guests go to get a bit of privacy and snorkel (we spent some time snorkelling there but it was unfortunately too windy to do a lot of exploring).

The food was as expected and I was pleasantly surprised by the main Akumal buffet. The variety of dishes is dizzying and it met my 'middle-of-the-road' expectations. Not a meal went by that I didn't try something new nor leave disappointed. Again, it wasn't Secrets Maroma but for what it is, a huge resort buffet, I thought it was pretty good. The a la cartes were OK but not exceptional. Vanessa helped us get a show table at the Japanese restaurant and thankfully I emailed her a few weeks beforehand or I fear we wouldn't have got a reservation. On that note, this place is so busy with so many people competing for seats at the a la cartes I can't help but recommend emailing ahead of time to reserve. It was near impossible to get reservations and the restaurants we wanted for the times we wanted and took some time with a very patient and helpful public relations staff member to get it sorted out. We tried the Dolce Vita (Italian), Fruto del Mar (seafood), Himitsu (Japanese), and Brazilian restaurants. The Brazilian 'meat' restaurant and Dolce Vita were our favourites with the Japanese a close second. It's too bad that the show table room at the Japanese was so hot (there is no A/C at any restaurant that we found or felt), because it made a great show extremely uncomfortable and made us want to leave even before they could usher us out for the next group. A few fans would go a long way. One major thing to note about the a la carte restaurants, they all have "appetizer buffets" as well that could be meals in and of themselves...so be warned. The Brazilian restaurant is the king of this...it has a massive buffet that left us shaking our heads in amazement. Next to the Akumal pool is the 'snack bar'. It runs 24hrs/day and we mostly used it for lunches. It's the same every day but it had what made the kids happy. Aside from some naturally upset tummies from eating 'richer' food and drinking more, no one in our group got 'sick' from the food that I'm aware of.

We didn't go to many night shows, as we had the kids and did the 'mini-disco' every night with the kids so I won't really speak to those except to say that the Circus show was pretty good. I'm not sure if Tulum and Coba have this in their theatres but we loved it and the kids looked forward to it every day. They have a bouncy castle set up from 7 - 8 pm in the theatre and after that a 30 min 'show' that has the kids (and sometimes parents/grandparents) up on stage dancing and playing games. After two weeks we had accumulated about 10 lbs of candy (prizes) and so many t-shirts that we had to leave a lot of it behind. It was great fun! We went to the kids "Disney Character" show both times it was on during our stay and despite some chuckling about the songs (I will never get through Smash Mouth's "All-
Star" without laughing now) and disrepair of the costumes, our kids had a good time and my daughter was mesmerized by the Disney princesses...which is the main thing.

The drinks, as has been talked about, are watered down. My personal opinion on this is that if people want more booze in their drink they should just ask for it. You're at an all-inclusive. Ask for more Bacardi, Beefeater, etc in your drink and they'll give it to you. Give the hard-working bartender a dollar or two a day and he'll gladly pour you whatever you want and however much of it you can imbibe. No one in my group had any problem at all with this. It's not a 5 star resort where you're going to get Belvedere and fresh Cranberry juice (you can pay extra for this stuff at the theatre bar if you're so inclined) but it does the trick. They have Bacardi, Beefeater, Smirnoff, and other run-of-the-mill name brands if you want to ask for them.

Now for the time share people...much is often talked about these folks but we had absolutely no problems. Not once did they talk to us despite the fact that they're set up so that everyone going to the main buffet has to walk by them and they have a pretty big area to 'catch' people. I did see people going to them to claim their "welcome gift" (you get a black/silver envelope in your room in addition to a phone call) but we ignored it. They're selling condos around Sian Ka'an (and perhaps other places). If that's your thing then go for it.

I could go on but at the risk of writing a review to match the size of the resort I'll leave it here. All in all, it was a fun trip for the entire family. Being at the Akumal pool every day mitigated how truly massive this resort is (the beaches towards the Tulum resort were packed!) but it's still a bit too big for me. If the price was right I'd consider going back but since it's almost 1.5 hrs from the Cancun airport and there are a lot of other places to go I will probably not be back unless it's for a special trip (e.g. wedding) like this one was.

Room Tip: A personal preference but email ahead of time to request a mattress topper to help mitigate how hard...
3  Thank Centurion34

Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us a review about the Grand Bahia Principe Akumal.

Thank you for giving us your nice feedback about the time you had here and the activities that you had enjoyed. I believe that your suggestions will be very useful to help us to keep focus on customer satisfaction and fulfillment of our hotel standards.

Please be sure that we keep on working to improve our services, so if you decide to come back in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me again, with any request that you may have.

Kindest regards from the Sunny Mexican Caribbean!

Reviewed March 1, 2013

This is our second trip to the Bahia resort. We went to the Coba in 2008. We decided to go the the Akumel this time for something different and to be closer to the beach. We took out 6 month old baby with us, and requested a crib. we got to our room with was nice and close to the lobby. Rooms were nice and clean. very similar to the rooms in the Coba. They had a crib set up as well as a small double bed, to go with our king sized bed.
We found the location was great. We would walk up to the Akumel lobby and go for breakfast. Then out past the pools and the beach was right there. We had no problem finding chairs if you were out there by 9:00. The beach is long with a bay on the south end. There was great snorkeling along the reef. You could go to the dock at the far end and see all sorts of fish with out getting wet.
If you want more waves then the short trolly ride to the Tulum is worth it. The beach bar at Tulum has drink machines self serve with bottle of rum beside. A new attraction they just put in is the dolfins which are at the Tulum area. You can watch the show at 11.00, watch people in the pool or swim with them yourself. was reasonably priced.
We found a shortcut from the Akumel down the sidewalk that would take you to the Akumel preimer and then to the Coba. We used this alot as we found the drinks and food at the Coba slighty better than the Akumel.
We booked three al a carte resturants. The brazilian steakhouse, japanize and the seafood. We found the brazilian was by far the best. Go easy on the salid bar as the meats they bring out are awesome. could hardly move when we were done.
There are so many pools, bars and places to eat. We found several new ones we didn`t know where there from the first time we came.
We would recommend this Hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: we stayed in building #52, was very close to lobby,
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest:

We take this opportunity to thank you for the review about your last stay at the Grand Bahia Principe Akumal, Riviera Maya.

It is a pleasure to know that we met our main goal that is to exceed your expectations, for sure, we will share your kind comments with all our team

We are looking forward to welcoming you back at your house in the Mexican Caribbean!

King Regards

Reviewed March 1, 2013

While not usually a big fan of all inclusive resorts, the winter weather had us seeking a last-minute beach escape. We were not disappointed! Impeccably clean accommodations, friendly staff and surprisingly good food. All in all an exceptional value! We especially loved the quiet beach right near our room (Royal Golden 68) with it's calm cove filled with tropical fish. Glad I brought my snorkel gear! We would definitely return again.
The only negatives were the incredibly hard bed and the confusing trolly service which is an essential requirement for getting around the immense hotel grounds.

Room Tip: worth the small additional charge to be near the beach at the Royal Golden. Most 3rd floor rooms hav...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rodLandi
RRPP A, Public Relations Executive at Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for choosing Gran Bahia Principe Akumal, Riviera Maya and share your comments about your last stay with us

We are happy to know that you had an unforgettable and great time with us, there’s no better award to our efforts than your entire satisfaction. We invite you to visit us again, so please contact us before your next visit and we will have ready a very nice room for you.

We hope to receive you soon at your house in The Mexican Caribbean!

Receive our warmest regards,

Reviewed February 27, 2013

First let me say that I have waited for a reply from Bahia Principe to their online survey that they sent us the day after we arrived home from our 7 day all inclusive. They obviously do not appreciate anything but glowing reviews as we have heard no reply to our comments. My wife and I stayed at the Akumel part of the resort from Jan 17-24.

Check in was ok and no wait. We arrived 4 hours late and the snack bar was still open thankfully for a busload of us from Vancouver Island. When we got to our room it was what we expected except for the soiled blue accent runner and one of the pillows had white spots on it. (you do the imagination on what that was yourself). We threw the soiled linen in the corner and chalked it up to stuff happens and did not get upset about it. What was annoying was that it got put back on the bed everytime they made up the room. Pretty obvious to anyone who looked at it several times. Nice to have a couple of cups of coffee in the morning when you get up from the in room coffeemaker...would be nice to have more than one package of coffemate whitener each but that did not happen for the whole 7 days plus the 2 stirsticks that were there on the first day were never replaced.(didn't realize we were supposed to keep them I guess}. The glasses in the bathroom were never changed for 7 days. Did not get water bottles for 2 days.(You can't drink tapwater or brush your teeth with it so that's important). Mini bar refills sporatic but not that important.

Food was very below par. Buffet was poor at best. My wife was horribly sick from something she ate at the main buffet on the Saturday after we arrived and basically lost a day and a half before she could get out of the room. The best food we had was at Senor Frogs in Playa del Carmen when we went there for an afternoon. Some of the hot buffet food looked like it had been there for over a day and tasted worse. Best food was made to order eggs at breakfast.
Went to the Mexican a lacarte and it was ok but nothing to rave about. Missed the Japanese because wife was sick. Fresh salad at 24 hr snack bar during the day was good but seems a shame to have to eat that every day because you're scared of the buffet.

Beach and grounds were impeccable and clean. Overall when walking around, very impressive so would have been nice if the really important stuff was just as good. Shuttle to Hacienda should be replaced as the exhaust from it gasses the passengers behind it. It was an old Ford cutoff pickup from circa 1999.

Shows in the evening very enjoyable and performers did a great job. Had fun watching and had a good time. Bar staff were ok but the only server we really remember is young Mario in the buffet in the morning. Very personable. The only other member of the staff that deserves a kudos is Elena, an older Mayan lady that swept up in the lobby and cleaned the ashtrays. Always had a smile and said hello even though she couldn't speak any English.

Overall, we made the best of the week but really disappointed. Also disappointed with the lack of response to out survey. I am in the service industry and when we get a less than good survey back we are all over it to make amends. Guess that does not apply to the Bahia chain. We stayed at an Iberostar in the DR last year and there is no comparison. Bahia could take some pointers.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank brix2712
RRPP A, Public Relations Executive at Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for choosing Grand Bahia Principe Akumal for your last vacations at the Riviera Maya and for mentioning that you enjoyed the impeccable clean Beach and grounds.

We are very sorry that we did not meet your expectations in regards of the communication with the staff, the buffet selection, the a la carte restaurant reservations and the transport. You can be certain that your comments will be send to the managers of the departments involved so they can resolve the issues mentioned, so they can take the necessary measures to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.

Thank you for your comments and we wish you can give us a second opportunity to show you the good service we always provide.

Kind Regard,

Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was our second time at this hotel, and we loved it all over again! The staff are friendly and patient with our lack of spanish. The food is great, the beaches clean and the water beautiful. Next time we will definetely stay longer!

Room Tip: We stayed at Golden Akumal is very close to a beautiful beach, where we could snorkel. There is als...
5  Thank momBc

Dear Guest:

We are happy to know that we got our main goal, which is your entire satisfaction with our services and installations, and especially with the attention of our personal.

We invite you to visit us again, so please contact us before your next visit and we will try our best to accommodate all your wishes. We hope to receive you soon at your house in The Mexican Caribbean!

Receive our warmest regards,

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed at the Bahia Principe Akumal from the 9th til the 16th of February 2013 and we absolutely loved the property. The only awful thing that happened to us during our vacation is the BED BUGS.. at first thinking it was sand flies and then realizing that our whole building complex had the same problem. We told the front desk about this problem and they tried to spray the rooms but problem was not resolved ..my fear was bringing them back and guess what ...well I did....it is not costing me 1000$ of extermination and whole mess that comes with it. I know the problem of bed bugs can happen everywhere but can there at least have been a change of room or change of hotel offered? They were fully booked and werent able to accommodate us. I verified with various exterminaton companies and they advised me that it is a long process to have the problem resolved so one spray is not sufficient. I hope this will sway to go elsewhere cause the problem is not something that gets resolved overnight. And the bites sting. Good luck. check your beds...

1  Thank Joanne181747

Dear Joanne:

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Grand Bahia Principe Akumal, Riviera Maya

We would like to take this opportunity to extend our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay at our hotel.

In relation to your opinion about the bed bugs, let us state you that they are subject to strict supervision. In fact, the health and welfare of our guests are our priority and we follow a strict program of cleaning and constant monitoring of all quality standards in our hotel. We follow insects control programs and strict programs of fumigation, which are carried out continuously. However, due to our tropical climate and the landscaping that surrounds the Hotel, characterized by wide open spaces, and taking into consideration that we are located in a protected mangrove area, the presence of certain species coming from the exterior may not be avoidable at all times.

I already passed your comments to the Departments involved to make sure this would not happen again to you or any other guest. We always work to give a great experience to all of our guests and to help them as much as possible.

Once again, thank you for the time to post your feedback and I am looking forward to welcome you once again at Grand Bahia Principe Akumal to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities and change any negative perception you may have about us.

Kind regards,