Just came back from a one week stay April 6 - 13. This was my first time to Mexico so I read all the reviews I could before hand to get some idea what to expect. Personally I have absolutely no complaints at all about is resort. The only unfortunate thing about our holiday was that it was so hot out I actually got sunburnt in the shade, even with sunscreen on. It was funny because you could see all the areas I missed because they were beet red and the rest of my body was just pink. Darn, had to sit on the beach, drink lot's and stay in the water as much as possible, it was a hard job, but someone had to do it.... Made for a good excuse for not going for too many walks....(:
Anyhow, we stayed in the Royal section in building 56 that was right behind the smaller pool so we had both a pool and ocean view, it was very nice. When we first went into the room there was what my wife called a musty smell, however after a little investigating and not finding mold anywhere, I found out that the smell was actually a combination of the insect spray they use around the doors and the disinffectant that was in their wash buckets for the floor. When my daughter came into our room she thought it smelt like perfume so that just shows you the difference in peoples smelling interpretations. The beds were very hard, we did ask for the extra cushion on it prior to our arrival via e-mail and it was done. My wife loved the bed, I like it a little softer, but was still able to get a good night sleep. We had absolutely no problems with our A/C. It was greatly appreciated, especially for a little nap and cooling down after a day on the beach. We had two beach towels in our room upon check in, but since we arrived in the morning and our room wasn't ready we just went and got towels at the pool as well so we each had two towels for the week. Never had any problems exchanging them for new ones, they always had lots on hand.
We ate at the Akumal buffet for supper 4 times and didn't eat the same thing twice accept from the Mexican area, after all that's why we were there. The fun part was trying to understand which salsa sauce was the hottest because the signs didn't always line up with the bowl, but hey, that's what we were there for, an adventure! We never had an occasion where the food was cold, even at the pool snack bar. We ate at three al-acartes, the Akumal Seafood Restaurant, Tequila Restaurant and the Portofina Restaurant. The salad bar items before each meal were great, different and fresh at each one. All four of us ended up only eating a portion of our main courses because of all the different appetizers we ate, but the girls still managed room for desert....We sent an e-mail only a week ahead of time and were able to get reservations for around 7:00pm at each on the days we wanted, as well, they even brought out a little cake and sang happy birthday to my son in-law as I mentioned it to them in my e-mail. He actually had this done to him twice. The 24 hr snack/beverage bar in the Royal section was great and they served more than just beer after 11:00pm. They go around the property at approx. 5:30pm each day and spray bug spray by their truck so just be ware, but it made sitting out by the ocean at the snack bar until 1:00am so enjoyable.
Because you have the four resort properties combined it makes it huge. Make sure you keep their map with you because it doesn't take much to get turned around. They have lots to see and do on the grounds before you even go anywhere. We still didn't see everything and we walked every morning before it was too hot (8:00am). We never did make it to the golf course property on the other side of the highway(maybe next trip). Went to the Hacienda for the Thursday Fiesta night, it was good show. The little buses were great and if you missed one, the next was coming soon or just wave down one of the guys with the little golf carts and they were just as helpful giving you a ride where ever you want to go.
As I said above I have absolutely no complaints and would recommend this place to anyone, but I will say I did meet people at the resort who would say differently. They were complaining at the pool, at the the bar and at the restaurants. I was listening to their complaints and I myself could not really understand what they were complaining about. Most of it was about service, yet everyone of these places I went to I never waited for a drink or food. The resort was full (all 3 thousand rooms) because of the States spring break, Mexican Easter break, as well as ours and everyone elses, yet we were still able to get palapas on the beach. I will admit the only place we couldn't get chairs during the morning unless we were up by 6:00am was at the pools, but it was way too hot on the cement anyway and I can go to a pool anytime.
A vacation for the most part is what you make of it, so make the most of it and enjoy yourself, you won't regret it!!!!!!!! Adios Amigos and remember,
Cervasa Fria Porfavor (cold beer please) or
Mucho Grande Yellow(lot's of ice), Mucho Canadian whiskey ( lot's of whiskey) and Poco Mas cola (a little bit of cola) These might not be spelled right, but I think you get the idea.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 swimming pools 4 jacuzzis 2 children's swimming pools Solarium with sun umbrellas and sun loungers BAHIA SPA (additional charges apply) Sports centre: a gym, 5 tennis courts, bicycles Motor sports (additional charges apply) Aquatic activity and diving centre Entertainment amphitheatre Wi-Fi access in the lobby (free) and with an no additional charge in the rooms Buffet restaurant opposite the sea 3 a la carte restaurants 9 bars Cocktail Lounge Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, cenotes and Mayan jungle Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and a night club Rooms 758 spacious Junior Suite Superior rooms. Equipped with: Two full-size beds or one king-size bed A living area with sofa A fully fitted bathroom: shower, washbasin, dryer and magnifying mirror Hydro massage tub Bathrobe and slippers (to be enjoyed throughout your stay) Pool towel (to be enjoyed throughout your stay) Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Direct-dial telephone (additional charges applicable to external calls) Radio alarm clock Flat-screen TV Mini-bar with mini alcoholic beverages (included) Coffee set Safe (included) Ironing set 24 hour room service Butler service (upon request) Evening turn-down service Pillow menu Wi-Fi (no additional charge) Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy facilities designed especially for them: Children's swimming pool Mini Club (children aged 4 to 12) Mini Disco in the evenings Bahia Scouts Water Park Teen's club (children aged 11 to 16) Other services An internal mini-train service providing access to all the facilities: 24-hour medical service (additional charges apply) Pharmacy (additional charges apply) Personalised menu options for celiacs and diabetics Specialised wedding, anniversary and event planning service Casin ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, KIPPIN S.A Lussemburgo Cadempino Branch, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon, HotelPower, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Akumal
- Bahia Principle
- Bahia Principe Mexico
- Gran Bahia Principe Hotel Akumal
- Mexico Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Tulum
- Grand Bahia Principe Akumal
- Bahia Principe Riviera Maya
- Bahia Mexico Principe
- Akumal Gran Bahia Principe