we had a totally amazing time in a fantastic resort. Had read several reviews before leaving so had slight apprehension, but we cannot fault our holiday. Yes it is a long flight, but we were looked after very well on our Thomson flights. Transfer from Cancun is approx 2 hours, which we knew when we booked but you are again looked after on the coach with drinks etc and if you want to stay outside of cancun then you have to except this. Warm welcome at the hotel with a nice cocktail. Bags looked after by the staff whilst we checked in. Check in was done within 5 minutes.
To begin with i felt quite over whelmed by the size of the resort and arriving at night is quite disorientating, but we did got the the welcome meeting which helped and within a couple of days getting around between the 3 hotels is easy and the staff are always on hand to help. Make sure you explore the 3 hotels as they all offer something slightly different.
Our room was lovely and spacious and the maid service is fantastic. We left a 2 dollar tip every day except one when we forgot, but still the room was cleaned to the same standard. Great towel art. For some the stocking of the mini bar may be an issue, but drinks, water etc were all stocked up daily, but you do just get one bar of choccie and one packet of crisps, but snacks etc are plentiful throughtout the resort so you really do not want for anything. We had no issues with the air conditioning as you can adjust to suit yourself and a ceiling fan. All linen, towels etc were really clean. We did email ahead and ask for a mattress topper, which we found on our bed. We slept really well every night.
The buffet restaurants in all 3 hotels do a great selection for all your meals, with even my fussy husband finding a good selection of food. Personally we prefered the Akumal. We only went to a couple of the a la carte, as we chose to stay with the buffets, but the standard also remained high wherever we went.
Service from the staff, with the exception of one bad breakfast and one dinner was faultless. All the staff are really hard working and friendly,regardless of how they were treated by some guests who seemed to have lost the ability to say please and thank you. We had several funny conversations with their broken english and our almost non exsistant spanish!!! Remember to tip for good service (50 pesos is generally what we gave as advised by our reps) as the staff have really poor wages and the trainee staff are not paid at all.
We found the same good service at the pool/beach bars. Beach and pool areas really clean and we never had any issues finding sun beds.
We did a trip into Cancun to the Captain Hook - dinner/cruise/party boat. A good night out but a very long two hour trip into Cancun which we hadn't thought about when we booked. Did a bar crawl in Playa del carmen which was good, also booked an open ticket for Xcaret (Eco park) where i swam with the dolphin (has been a dream of mine for some time and loved every minute of it). The best trip was to chichen-itza which you really should do if you have any interest in the culture of Mexico. Amazing day out. If you do this trip, make sure you take some extra money for souvenirs as we found unique things we could only be bought at chichen-itza. Reps readily gave us info about the excursions.
Overall we had an amazing time and will definatley be back. If you have read other reviews which have caused you to feel worried, then don't be. 100% perfection is impossible to achieve for the vast numbers of people who visit the resort, but for us this was a perfect honeymoon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 swimming pools 4 jacuzzis 2 children's swimming pools Solarium with sun umbrellas and sun loungers BAHIA SPA (additional charges apply) Sports centre: a gym, 5 tennis courts, bicycles Motor sports (additional charges apply) Aquatic activity and diving centre Entertainment amphitheatre Wi-Fi access in the lobby (free) and with an additional charge in the rooms Buffet restaurant opposite the sea 3 a la carte restaurants 9 bars Cocktail Lounge Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, cenotes and Mayan jungle Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and a night club Rooms 630 spacious Junior Suite Superior rooms. Equipped with: Two full-size beds or one king-size bed A living area with sofa A fully fitted bathroom: shower, washbasin, dryer and magnifying mirror Hydro massage tub Bathrobe and slippers (to be enjoyed throughout your stay) Pool towel (to be enjoyed throughout your stay) Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Direct-dial telephone (additional charges applicable to external calls) Radio alarm clock Flat-screen TV Mini-bar with mini alcoholic beverages (included) Coffee set Safe (included) Ironing set 24 hour room service Butler service (upon request) Evening turn-down service Pillow menu Wi-Fi (additional charges apply). Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy facilities designed especially for them: Children's swimming pool Mini Club (children aged 4 to 12) Mini Disco in the evenings Bahia Scouts Water Park Teen's club (children aged 11 to 16) Other services An internal mini-train service providing access to all the facilities: 24-hour medical service (additional charges apply) Pharmacy (additional charges apply) Personalised menu options for celiacs and diabetics Specialised wedding, anniversary and event planning service Casin ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, KIPPIN S.A Lussemburgo Cadempino Branch, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Despegar.com, Odigeo, getaroom.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Akumal
- Bahia Principle
- Bahia Principe Mexico
- Gran Bahia Principe Hotel Akumal
- Mexico Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Tulum
- Grand Bahia Principe Akumal
- Bahia Principe Riviera Maya
- Bahia Mexico Principe
- Akumal Gran Bahia Principe