Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Tamworth, United Kingdom
“Amazing!!!”
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Firstly... Previous reviews mention pricing in USD$! DO NOT TAKE MUCH! Take pesos instead! Yes prices are in USD but if your home country is not USD (I'm £UK) then you will lose out on the exchange rate! Quite a lot too! Most times e.g taxi $50 USD cost approx £32 or 500 pesos cost approx £25! Also order plenty of $1 or 20peso bills for tipping!

Right now for hotel...wonderful and wouldn't hesitate in a moment to return!

I have come to the conclusion that the people that don't enjoy it, are miserable buggers in the first place, people were moaning within minutes of stepping off the plane! These were the complainers on the return flight!!!

Ok so how can you go 2 weeks in a hot muggy country without a hitch, you can't it's almost impossible, buts its how you choose to let it ruin your holiday!

I'll start with some things to prepare for, but I am not moaning, I'm setting your expectations so you don't see it as a negative if it happens!

1) Yes, you will most certainly get bitten, and we were warned as soon
As we stepped off the plane, although it doesn't take a scientist to work this out when your'e by water and jungle in 30+ heat!!! Don't bother buying UK brands, get the johnson&johnson "off" repellant at the hacienda for $15 - no exaggeration, we went from average 10 bites a night to seldom bite per night!

2) this time of year it rains (June/July) I did my research and expected rain, so I was happy with how little it rained compared To my thoughts (rarely daytime, early evening and sometimes early morn, short heavy showers)
On rainy evenings the buses are usually full quickly. So walk to an earlier stop or walk to your lobby, they're not far! Then jump on the lobby bus if you need to go elsewhere...
For the lazy sods! Akumal/coba/akumal premier are pretty much seconds away from each other, don't fill the buses for these unnecessary distances, use the maps provided and advertised everywhere! The same can be said for tulum and hacienda!

3) It is true what someone else put earlier, the service was marginally slower in buffets in my second week but it was fuller and I was in no rush!

4)Beware that some guests love attention so shout at staff to be heard. One lady screamed (American) because she had waited 10 mins for a course in Arlequin! It was an exaggeration by about 6 minutes and when I say she screamed, even her young children were embarrassed! The staff were trying to help but she spoke to them like slaves! I wanted to say something and so did a few other guests, but there's always one!

4) don't leave cans of pop, sweet wrappers on the side as little bugs find there way in your room else.

5) put a towel at the front door at night!

6) the room AC and some restaurants could have been a touch cooler (except gourmet's) however if I wanted cold I should have stayed in UK :)

The sales people by the way were very polite, said "hi how are you"
We always politely replied! Every day they asked us how we were and only once asked us if we would like to look at timeshares. We politely refused and they continued to be pleasant to us everyday so please don't be rude!

Oh just one thing for hotel to note when they come to refurb! Please make rooms more soundproof as the noisy welsh girls that kept me awake at 3am on last 3 nights would not have been alive by the 4th if we hadn't left- yes you in room 7111 if your reading this!

Now here are the things that made our holiday utterly amazing and memorable.

1) the restaurants - gourmet  are Arlequin, le gourmet and don Pablo a must! When you see filet mignon and you like steak; take my advice and have it! Superb! Loved tequila, mikado show - cool! Mediterraneo for fish, la gran tortuga for meat and portofino for Italian fab!
I emailed ahead -- for my restaurant bookings and got a reply within 1 hour confirming (bring the email with you)

I also emailed the same address asking for a mattress topper due to reviews of hard beds, this was met and I didn't have one broken night of sleep zzzzz

Cleanliness of room and minibar cleaned/stocked daily with beer coke, sprite, fanta and crisps. We left a dollar daily for maid and mini bar too.

Buffets were very good, breakfast awesome! We didn't try coba for Buffet, tulum and akumal fab! They have themed nights and although there are many repetitions (burgers, chips, pizza and nachos etc) if you pick that as your food every lunch and dinner of course it will get repetitive! Nightly things changed and there's was soooo much choice!

Drinks were fab for me, I don't like mine too strong and they were perfect! Many asked for more alcohol and it was given without question. Cocktails amazing, I'm a red wine drinker and although not amazing in buffets, was ok and very good in a la cartes. Table service and some great background entertainment in lobby bars (pianist, band etc) although it didn't disturb conversations. Our fave bar was tulum as no Walls but inside and so can smoke, all other restaurants and bars are non smoking but areas aren't too far!

Every single employee we came across was polite and friendly and went out of their way for us without us asking or flashing any money as I believe in tipping for good service received and not to get it!

Pool was fab and clean (not green as per prior reviews read) sea and beach fab - take water shoes/crocs as rocky in water. Temperature of pool and sea perfect, cools you down but it's not freezing cold!

Trips
We usually do loads of trips as sunbathing can be monotonous but we barely ventured out! Took a 30 peso collectivo by hacienda to playa del carmen, basically tat shops, watch shops and sunglasses shops. Akumal beach - same cost on collectivo and took snorkelling gear and saw turtles! Beach beautiful too!
Jungle place about 5miles away- up close and personal with monkeys for $50.

So I hope I've not bored you to death, there's loads more and I'll reply to any questions if you think I've missed something!!
Go book and enjoy! :D

• Stayed July 2011
25 Thank josienpaul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,955)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Natick
Reviewed July 18, 2011

We have traveled to this area many times and have stayed at other resorts (Iberostar, Barceló, Dreams, and Secrets), so I consider this a fair review of the property. We went as a couple with three sons (18, 15, 12). I would not go here again because of the beach and the size of the resort.

PROS

• Immaculate, beautiful grounds
• Friendly staff (a few grumpy souls - but mostly positive)
• Food - best we have had at ala cartes (but book via email first). Buffet was okay and very hot (no AC)
• Everything is oceanfront

CONS

• BEACH!! - very disappointing. If you are a beach person, this is not the place for you. It is either very rocky or very crowded. If you focus your vacation on the beach, go elsewhere. This is the worst beach we have seen and they have many whales (huge, black sandbags in the water) to try and reform the beach.

• A/C - the A/C in our room never really worked well (Club Golden in building 66).

• The palapas used to make the large buildings are very authentic and make it beautiful. The trade off for this is that they cannot provide enough air conditioning..... So be prepared to be hot!

• Rooms - they are okay and somewhat old --- nothing great..... Smelled musty, but you get used to it.

• Drinks - There is no top shelf at the resort unless you pay for it (even in Club Golden).

• Club Golden - I would upgrade as it only gets you one extra ala carte dinner. We were fortunate to get an Ocean Front room (building 65, 66, or 67), but you are not guaranteed ocean front even in Club Golden. The free room service is burgers\fries - that sort of thing. It is does not include coffee and breakfast that I would have liked. Overall, the upgraded room at the Gran Bahia Akumel is not worth it.

• VERY, VERY large resort - if you stay in the Akumel section it is quite a distance from the Tulum section where the nightclub is (in the Hacienda). If you have older teens or young adults who will frequent the nightclub, you might be better at the Tulum. You need to travel by tram to get to the other resorts ---- we have been to other large resorts --- but this is huge (3000 rooms between the three resorts).

• There is no formalized programming for older kids (12 - 17) at this resort. We have been to other resorts that offered better programming and even a teen dance club open in the evening (my kids loved this).

• Lobby is attractive, but does not have "WOW" factor like other resorts.

• Shows - performed by the resort staff. A few were ok, but most the most part, they were not good. I have seen much better at other resorts. Plus, the real Mexican show is on Thursday nights at the Hacienda ... for this they charge $16 a person

• Pools - according to my boys, the pool is much bigger\better at the Tulum section of the hotel. I checked it out, and the Akumel pools are smaller, while the Tulum is more lake-like with more activities.

THINGS TO BE AWARE OF

• There is no pool or beach waiter service. Not a big deal for us, but if you like this service, it is not offered here

• The only swimup bar is in the quiet pool (this was no big deal for us as we are not pool people, but it did bother other people).

• Little to no AC on the entire resort (except gourmet dining)

Room Tip: Request building 65,66, or 67
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Knatick
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2011

I just returned from the Gran Bahia Principe, on arrival although I requested adjoining rooms for myself and children we were told at the reception that they would bein a room two floors different from ine, only after complaining was a so called free upgrade given with two adjoining rooms. If you are given a standard room complain and get an upgrade, these rooms are slightly newer and smell less damp. The food in the buffet restaurants was awful, I lived on mainly fruit for 2 weeks, it was never hot and always contained alot of chicken which had been cooked at some time quite a long time before serving. The bar service was very slow and many of the waitning staff quite clearly had attitude. The pool areas were not cleaned so had many insects clawling around and the tour operater should have warned about the number of mosquetoes. All and all it was disappointing. Don't take Mexican pessos as Thomsons/First Choice say as everything is priced in US dollars event their own trips.

1 Thank Shortie08
England
Reviewed July 17, 2011

I'm going to start by admitting that before I go on holiday I am an avid review reader. So I value a non biast opinion, weighing the positives and negatives to give an overall insight for you future visitors.

I had done vast amounts of research on this hotel and as we got a great deal with First Choice we (the boyfriend and I) decided this was the hotel for us, it had good reviews and we liked the idea of 3 resorts in one.
The flight was long, but this was expected and the transfer was long but comfortable, the on board corona's kept us going. When we arrived my bf was stunned, the hotels we went on route were OK but ours surpassed expectation. The checkin was smooth and fast, our room was musty yes but who cares really? Open the balcony doors!

So service?
Excellent bar and table service in week 1, we tipped regularly and the staff were just fantastic. There was no problem getting a set buffet table at all 3 meals. Week 2, not as good. The hotel was fully booked apparently but service suffered. No water at mealtimes, hardly any tables set, the tram system went to pot with 30min waits just to get anywhere.
However, this didn't mean our second week was awful, just not as attentive as the first. We did have a minor problem with Public relations with one of the women telling us to come early to the desk and she cud get us an earlier dinner slot, she went home and I asked the manager...he acted like I was making it up, not good practice (I was very angry lol)

Food?
Food was lovely, we enjoyed the buffet selection. Akumal was nice but coba and tulum were nicer, food was hot and varied and even the repetative nature was didn't fase us.
We went to the Tequila, Mikado, Gran Tortuga and Medditerano. Tequila, nicer than people say... Gorgeous mole chicken. Mikado show table...amazing, DO IT!! Gran Tortuga... Loads of meat and its lovely esp the turkey surprisingly! Medditerano... Horrible service horrible food.
The snack bars are good for salads n burgers tea coffee etc
And drinks?
Dos equis beer good, premier spirits in lobby bars like jim bean absolout vodka occasional jack daniels and bacardi... I enjoyed some disarono's too :) (try the electric lemonade and mojitos)

Clean?
Very, cleaner did a fantastic job and there were people working the grounds everywhere you looked...

Tips for future guests?
As all reviews say, do book restaurants early...otherwise suffer 10pm dinners a plenty. Do get the collectivos, they are so worth it as we travelled up and down the motorway sooo many times. Do take pesos OR dollars...it honestly doesn't matter. For first choice goers, using your card gets you a rate of 19.50 per £ which is goood...
Go to tulum and coba for a night time, great atmosphere. Also coba pool during the day, met lots of people. Expect rain and as always use a high factor screen as I used P20 and went bright red lol Do do the thursday fiesta at the hacienda, if its not raining!
Trips...jungle tour, captin hook, xcaret, xel ha... All good but long transfer time to cancun! Also visit a cenote (hidden worlds is 10mins away) and akumal beach to see the turtles :)

My opinion...don't be put off by bad experiences, we had a cracking time... Soo worth the money!!

• Stayed June 2011
4 Thank Holando
Surrey
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Firstly I have some hopefully helpful tips, Buy a phone card from the lobby shop, it costs 20 Dollars for 90 mins calls back to the UK. Use the white phones by the show lounge, the mobile signal is terrible so this was a life saver for us.
Dont bother getting Pesos as everything is priced in dollars and they are widely accepted.
If you have not booked yet go to Premier section or Coba , as Akumal is a poor relation, or better still book the Grand Palladium Kantenah, which is so much better and a REAL 5 star resort.
The airport in Cancun was a nightmare, after a 10 hour flight, the queues were really bad for immigration which was very slow, they X Ray your cases which you have to lift onto the machines to be scanned and some people were body searched and had their bags opened, departure was a breeze by comparison.

On arrival the room smelled really damp and musty, we thought it just needed the doors opening to air etc. but no, the bed cover was really musty, I had to put it on the balcony overnight to air and the bed was actually damp, yuk! Our family was in the room next door so we did'nt want to move and just had to put up with it.
The air con was hardly working, the ceiling fan was a godsend, and there was no ventilation in the bathroom which made it unbearable at night when getting ready to go out.
The buffet became very boring after a while, the food was often cold and people queued up for freshly grilled meats just to get something hot!, regardless of so called Theme Nights the food was nearly always the same, and no staff member ever checked food temperatures, we had an upset tummy a couple of times.
The wine is pretty awful so ask for Champagne, it is Cava but much better than the wine and free on all inclusive.
The tables are often left uncleared and you have to ask a waiter to take the plates so you can get desert.
The A La Carte restaurants are quite good, the .Gran Tortuga is a meatfest so go hungry! and the Le gourmet is the opposite, if you're hungry you won't be impressed with the tiny portions there.
The bars in the Akumal close at 11pm sharp, the band stops playing at 10.45 and they close windows to make you uncomfortable at 11.15 and by 11.30 you are made to feel very unwelcome. When we asked where we could go to continue our evening we were directed to the Disco or a snack bar with white plastic tables and chairs, where drunk teenagers were eating chips and being loud and unpleasant, we are not old fogeys, our group was mixed age from 20 to 55 all we wanted was somewhere to sit and chat and drink for a while ,not a bad version of McDonalds!
They turn off the lights around the pool at 11.30 making it dangerous for people walking back to rooms etc. people were using the lights from their mobiles to see their way around.
Cocktails were either good or terrible depending on who served you, there were a lot of trainees who didnt have a clue and the drinks were often unrecognisable and undrinkable! they poor vodka etc from soft drink taps by the pool, no wonder they taste so bad.
We visited the Coba section once and it seemed much nicer and had a better atmosphere, also the premier restaurant was lovely, but we didnt find it till the end of the holiday.
We had torrential rain for 2 days and the hotel became a skating rink on glass like marble floors, they tried to sweep out the rain but didnt put any mats down, so there were plenty of accidents.

I am sure there are many people who have had a better experience than ours, but I can only give my account of our own, which after the journey and the expense was a memorable one for all the wrong reasons.

2 Thank cazza08
Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2011

Honest review: we booked the holiday 9 days before travelling. We arrived in our accomodation and because we upgraded we got put on a golf cart and taken up to the Golden its not really any diff from the standard rooms apart from the Jacuzi bath which was not all that great. The accomodation was clean and tidy only thing missing was mosquito nets over the bed which you definately need i would recommend you take one you will need it. The first night we kind of walked around and met up with a great family and found our way around. The lobby at the Akumal is were you have your bars and resteraunts. There was plenty of choice and make sure you book your ala cart restarants you will welcome the break from the buffet as it seems to be the same stuff day in and day out and get fed up with it after a while. The snack bar was great for the first week but the same as the buffet you will get fed up of the chips pizza hotdogs and burgers all the time. The cocktails are great and the bars are good the staff work really hard. What we found is that in the rooms the maid service i left 20 pesos every day and in the fridge we left 20 pesos everyday in it for the first week, they stocked it up good. On the 2nd week i decided to give a tip at the end of the week before leaving as it would have been a good tip, but the guy did not stock up the fridge for 3 days out of 7 and we had to ask for it to be stocked due to not leaving a tip so he missed out on the big tip. The trips are very expensive i booked the dolphins and was told by the first choice rep christian that the pictures on the day would be 100 dollars do not beleive this as they charge there own prices on the day. We also booked exelha which was good and the kids had a fab time and everything was included food drinks etc. The wild life in the complex is great we seen racoons, iguanas were everywere and there was also spider crabs cockroaches we had to remove a couple from the room one was running about our bed and one on the ceiling. We had red ants fire ants army ants and black small ants. My son had to kill one that was the size of a wasp. We were eaten alive my son had over 300 mosquito bites and that was with the recommended repelent on i had over 100 and my daughter had well over 70. Spider bites sand fly bites etc. We also had the plug ins but the the voltage was not high enough so i recommend you get the world wide ones for america etc. But the complex cant be responsible for that overall the holiday was good the snorkelling at the beach was great the kids loved seeing all the different kinds of fish there. We had also been told that someone had money stolen from there wallet in the room so id recommend the safe or keep your money hidden. we also fond out that there was 2 poisonous snakes in the complex that the workers were trying to get rid off. What i found off puting is that the photographers would come round with diff animals each day for people to have there picture taken with the monkey was brought in, in a cat box and had a lead attached this was cruel. The Tucan was brought in one day and they kept slapping its face and then if that was not bad enough they brought a highly venemous snake in and had wrapped its jaws up with sticky tape to stop it biting i think this is cruel and also dangerous. Remember you are in the middle of the Mayan Jungle be prepared. Make sur eyou eat at the different places Coba is great and so is Tumel and the Hasienda is also good for a chnge its a total mexican feeling. Were ever you go you will be eaten alive by Mosquitos but i have been informed that the Malayria ricks are low. The entertainment is good although did not go to this much the pools are great and the children loved the swim up bar. the room service could be improved all they have is a few fast food items on this. we had to get the maid to come and spray the room a few times. I got bitten by a fire ant in my bed and was in agony and had to get immediate pain releif. we had a fab time due to the people we met up with there. I was travelling with my 2 children aged 14 and 8. The hotel is expensive if you go out of the hotel you will find value for money ie. Playa del car.

The workers work very hard and i recommend the tips as they are very grateful for this. I would recommend the Ve Tequilla they are great i would not recommend the Dolci Vita as they can be very arogant, The dolphino and the mediteranian is great for eating in i would higly recommend. The le Gourmet was the best to eat in though.

There is also a wallmart in playa del car its very good. Buy duty free cigarettes if you smoke before you go i found that the hotel were charging 71 Mexican dollars for a pkt of 20 and in the local town 38 mexican pasos the hotel is definately overcharging.

I had a great holiday but would never go back to this complex but had a great experience overall. reviews can be very off puting but i beleive each to there own and there own expectations.

Also the beds are very hard and and the pillows are too that is definately a true review from all the others that are writing this.

Room Tip: Go Premier
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Michelleo123
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 12, 2011

This place is certainly unbelievable for all the wrong reasons. I have been to the Cancun/Riviera Maya area several times and this was by far the worst experience I've ever had. Here is my list of findings/observations at this all inclusive resort:

Food/Bar/Service: To keep it simple, the buffet food was just bad. But if you had to pick, the Kukulcan buffet at Coba was a little less bad than the rest. Just eat the fruit. In terms of service in the buffets, it pretty much depended on who you got. Like everywhere else, you get good waiters/waitresses and you get terrible ones. There were quite a few meals that no one even came by to offer us water or drinks and I had to go get them myself. That was irritating, but at least I saved money on tip. Their individual restaurants were slightly better. Food, in my opinion, was still not great but at least the service was pretty decent. The bars were the worst. It was not the drinks that bothered me. I understand that it's an all inclusive resort and you won't get the best liquor, but the service was TERRIBLE. For example, at the Akumal beach bar, there was only one guy working. Think about it, there are a lot of people on the beach trying to get drinks! It was really frustrating to see people get to the bars after me get their drinks first.
Rooms: The only complaint I have is that the shower was clogged and there was hair that was definitely not my own all over the room when I arrived. That was pretty disgusting. Oh and the air conditioning in the rooms are terrible.
Pools/Beach: The only positive thing I could really think of about this resort. There was a lot of pool space.
Trolley: This was probably the most annoying part of the whole trip. The trolleys will take you to different parts of the resort (incl the 3 hotels, restaurants, the hacienda, etc). This may sound great to you but I'm telling you to be prepared to have other people push and shove you to get on because they can fill up pretty quickly. There is no line system or signs that indicate where you should stand to get picked up by a certain trolley to get to your destination. You will be frustrated trying to figure where all the cars are going. It is pretty annoying to realize that you need to depend on these trolleys to get to places- unless you want to walk in the hot weather. Also, bring a lot of bug spray. The mosquitoes are out to get you and while you're waiting forever for your trolley to come pick you up, they will attack you.
Gym: I like to make sure I get a decent 25-30 minute workout while I'm on vacation, especially since I'm on the beach. I can't speak for the gym at Coba or Tulum, but at Akumal the fitness center was absolutely disgusting. For starters, there was no fan or air conditioning! How do you not have a fan for such a small, enclosed space where people are working out? Well, the result of that is a rancid smell. I lasted a good 15 minutes before I couldn't take anymore of that body odor smell and decided to run outside.

And what's worst is that this place is 1.5-2hrs away from the airport (depending on how many people you pick up along the way). It was definitely not worth the commute for such a terrible experience.

Room Tip: Book your all inclusive vacation at Riu Palace Las Americas. The food is great and the service is be...
7 Thank thetruth_is22
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#75 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,766 reviews

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!