Firstly... Previous reviews mention pricing in USD$! DO NOT TAKE MUCH! Take pesos instead! Yes prices are in USD but if your home country is not USD (I'm £UK) then you will lose out on the exchange rate! Quite a lot too! Most times e.g taxi $50 USD cost approx £32 or 500 pesos cost approx £25! Also order plenty of $1 or 20peso bills for tipping!
Right now for hotel...wonderful and wouldn't hesitate in a moment to return!
I have come to the conclusion that the people that don't enjoy it, are miserable buggers in the first place, people were moaning within minutes of stepping off the plane! These were the complainers on the return flight!!!
Ok so how can you go 2 weeks in a hot muggy country without a hitch, you can't it's almost impossible, buts its how you choose to let it ruin your holiday!
I'll start with some things to prepare for, but I am not moaning, I'm setting your expectations so you don't see it as a negative if it happens!
1) Yes, you will most certainly get bitten, and we were warned as soon
As we stepped off the plane, although it doesn't take a scientist to work this out when your'e by water and jungle in 30+ heat!!! Don't bother buying UK brands, get the johnson&johnson "off" repellant at the hacienda for $15 - no exaggeration, we went from average 10 bites a night to seldom bite per night!
2) this time of year it rains (June/July) I did my research and expected rain, so I was happy with how little it rained compared To my thoughts (rarely daytime, early evening and sometimes early morn, short heavy showers)
On rainy evenings the buses are usually full quickly. So walk to an earlier stop or walk to your lobby, they're not far! Then jump on the lobby bus if you need to go elsewhere...
For the lazy sods! Akumal/coba/akumal premier are pretty much seconds away from each other, don't fill the buses for these unnecessary distances, use the maps provided and advertised everywhere! The same can be said for tulum and hacienda!
3) It is true what someone else put earlier, the service was marginally slower in buffets in my second week but it was fuller and I was in no rush!
4)Beware that some guests love attention so shout at staff to be heard. One lady screamed (American) because she had waited 10 mins for a course in Arlequin! It was an exaggeration by about 6 minutes and when I say she screamed, even her young children were embarrassed! The staff were trying to help but she spoke to them like slaves! I wanted to say something and so did a few other guests, but there's always one!
4) don't leave cans of pop, sweet wrappers on the side as little bugs find there way in your room else.
5) put a towel at the front door at night!
6) the room AC and some restaurants could have been a touch cooler (except gourmet's) however if I wanted cold I should have stayed in UK :)
The sales people by the way were very polite, said "hi how are you"
We always politely replied! Every day they asked us how we were and only once asked us if we would like to look at timeshares. We politely refused and they continued to be pleasant to us everyday so please don't be rude!
Oh just one thing for hotel to note when they come to refurb! Please make rooms more soundproof as the noisy welsh girls that kept me awake at 3am on last 3 nights would not have been alive by the 4th if we hadn't left- yes you in room 7111 if your reading this!
Now here are the things that made our holiday utterly amazing and memorable.
1) the restaurants - gourmet are Arlequin, le gourmet and don Pablo a must! When you see filet mignon and you like steak; take my advice and have it! Superb! Loved tequila, mikado show - cool! Mediterraneo for fish, la gran tortuga for meat and portofino for Italian fab!
I emailed ahead -- for my restaurant bookings and got a reply within 1 hour confirming (bring the email with you)
I also emailed the same address asking for a mattress topper due to reviews of hard beds, this was met and I didn't have one broken night of sleep zzzzz
Cleanliness of room and minibar cleaned/stocked daily with beer coke, sprite, fanta and crisps. We left a dollar daily for maid and mini bar too.
Buffets were very good, breakfast awesome! We didn't try coba for Buffet, tulum and akumal fab! They have themed nights and although there are many repetitions (burgers, chips, pizza and nachos etc) if you pick that as your food every lunch and dinner of course it will get repetitive! Nightly things changed and there's was soooo much choice!
Drinks were fab for me, I don't like mine too strong and they were perfect! Many asked for more alcohol and it was given without question. Cocktails amazing, I'm a red wine drinker and although not amazing in buffets, was ok and very good in a la cartes. Table service and some great background entertainment in lobby bars (pianist, band etc) although it didn't disturb conversations. Our fave bar was tulum as no Walls but inside and so can smoke, all other restaurants and bars are non smoking but areas aren't too far!
Every single employee we came across was polite and friendly and went out of their way for us without us asking or flashing any money as I believe in tipping for good service received and not to get it!
Pool was fab and clean (not green as per prior reviews read) sea and beach fab - take water shoes/crocs as rocky in water. Temperature of pool and sea perfect, cools you down but it's not freezing cold!
We usually do loads of trips as sunbathing can be monotonous but we barely ventured out! Took a 30 peso collectivo by hacienda to playa del carmen, basically tat shops, watch shops and sunglasses shops. Akumal beach - same cost on collectivo and took snorkelling gear and saw turtles! Beach beautiful too!
Jungle place about 5miles away- up close and personal with monkeys for $50.
So I hope I've not bored you to death, there's loads more and I'll reply to any questions if you think I've missed something!!
Go book and enjoy! :D
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 swimming pools 4 jacuzzis 2 children's swimming pools Solarium with sun umbrellas and sun loungers BAHIA SPA (additional charges apply) Sports centre: a gym, 5 tennis courts, bicycles Motor sports (additional charges apply) Aquatic activity and diving centre Entertainment amphitheatre Wi-Fi access in the lobby (free) and with an additional charge in the rooms Buffet restaurant opposite the sea 3 a la carte restaurants 9 bars Cocktail Lounge Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, cenotes and Mayan jungle Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and a night club Rooms 758 spacious Junior Suite Superior rooms. Equipped with: Two full-size beds or one king-size bed A living area with sofa A fully fitted bathroom: shower, washbasin, dryer and magnifying mirror Hydro massage tub Bathrobe and slippers (to be enjoyed throughout your stay) Pool towel (to be enjoyed throughout your stay) Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Direct-dial telephone (additional charges applicable to external calls) Radio alarm clock Flat-screen TV Mini-bar with mini alcoholic beverages (included) Coffee set Safe (included) Ironing set 24 hour room service Butler service (upon request) Evening turn-down service Pillow menu Wi-Fi Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy facilities designed especially for them: Children's swimming pool Mini Club (children aged 4 to 12) Mini Disco in the evenings Bahia Scouts Water Park Teen's club (children aged 11 to 16) Other services An internal mini-train service providing access to all the facilities: 24-hour medical service (additional charges apply) Pharmacy (additional charges apply) Personalised menu options for celiacs and diabetics Specialised wedding, anniversary and event planning service Casin ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, BookIt.com, BP USA TRAVEL INC, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, TravelUp, Cancelon, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Akumal
- Bahia Principle
- Bahia Principe Mexico
- Gran Bahia Principe Hotel Akumal
- Mexico Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Tulum
- Grand Bahia Principe Akumal
- Bahia Principe Riviera Maya
- Bahia Mexico Principe
- Akumal Gran Bahia Principe