“What a special treat! Lionfish at its best!”
Review of Gynn'AK - CLOSED

Gynn'AK
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery
Description: Altho this restaurant is listed in Cancun, it actually is on the main road across from Half Moon Bay in Akumal, Mexico. It is newly opened and has excellent, inexpensive food. Gina, who runs the restaurant makes the best guacamole this side of Guadalajara & her pita rellenos are the best! She is open from 12 noon to 8 p.m. and also delivers! What more could you ask for! Enjoy this delicious menu without leaving the beach!
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We have been going to Akumal for thirty years! We tried Gynn'AK for first time two years ago! Now we will not miss the wonderful fresh Lionfish fixed in several ways! WE love the Lionfish tacos! WE went last week and the place was packed! So the good word is out! Service was fast and yes the tacos were absolutely fabulous! Highly recommend this unique restaurant experience!!! WE will be back in November with friends!!!! Thanks for the great meal and service! A definite stop while visiting Akumal!

Reviewed March 11, 2014

The place had a quaint charm to it, so in spite of the fact that we had to wait to be acknowledged & served, we decided to give it a shot.

In fairness, once we were served it was friendly and the desire to please was evident; and the food was tasty.

I knew that it was a bad idea to eat there if the same guy taking orders was also clearing tables, cooking/preparing food & serving it. 3 out of 4 of us got sick through the night. One was a lot worse than the other 2 because those 2 were smart enough to have taken an oral vaccine (to prevent travellers’ diarrhea caused by enterotoxigenic E. coli). You've seen the ads for DukOral. Well, I'm not pushing the product, but I wish I'd either had some or stayed away from the Gynn'AK.

I feel a bit bad writing this, especially since our server seemed like such a genuinely nice person. Nevertheless, either the kitchen needs to improve it's practices or other travellers need to heed this warning.

2  Thank Mayan_Wannabe
Reviewed March 6, 2014

When I went to Gynna's place, she was closed due to a long holiday weekend. To my surprise, she came down as I was checking out the place and asked if I was hungry. She asked if I could come back on Monday, but I told her that I would be leaving the next day. She said. "No one should go without a good taco " and then offered me a beer while I waited. She returned to open the kitchen and fix me the lion fish tacos to go. I took the wonderful food back to the house and loved the meal. It was like no other "fish taco" out there. The taste was meaty and fresh with its' garnish's.

It was later that I learned about her work in helping keep the reefs clear of these fish and what a way to do it, by using them as food. I just want to say THANK YOU to Gynna for making my last day in AK very special by introducing me to a food I had never had. When I return to AK, I will be sure to come back !

1  Thank RSMartin2014
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Eating fresh Lionfish that we caught diving with Gynna was amazing !! Well, she caught all the Lion Fish !! HA HA !! Gynna's Tai Mexican cuisine is where it's at !!! Can't wait to stop in again !!!

1  Thank scubasteve37
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Seriously.

A bit run-down, a bit side-of-the-road.

But so delicious and authentic and Akumal, you cannot pass it up!

Had lunch there recently with hubby. The proprietress shared with us how she'd gone spear-hunting/scuba diving the other day and caught like 86 lionfish. She explained that lionfish are invasive and not native. The little jerks need to go.

I'm not really into fish, but so tasty! I ordered the whole thing on a plate so that I could see it with all its deadly spines, served I guess one would say a la maison: how she wanted to cook it that day.

So delicious! With a beer!

Stop by for an experience you seriously won't get *anywhere* else.