“Thanks for the Great Meal” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gynn'AK - CLOSED

Gynn'AK
Cuisines: Mexican, American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Altho this restaurant is listed in Cancun, it actually is on the main road across from Half Moon Bay in Akumal, Mexico. It is newly opened and has excellent, inexpensive food. Gina, who runs the restaurant makes the best guacamole this side of Guadalajara & her pita rellenos are the best! She is open from 12 noon to 8 p.m. and also delivers! What more could you ask for! Enjoy this delicious menu without leaving the beach!
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Thanks for the Great Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

When I went to Gynna's place, she was closed due to a long holiday weekend. To my surprise, she came down as I was checking out the place and asked if I was hungry. She asked if I could come back on Monday, but I told her that I would be leaving the next day. She said. "No one should go without a good taco " and then offered me a beer while I waited. She returned to open the kitchen and fix me the lion fish tacos to go. I took the wonderful food back to the house and loved the meal. It was like no other "fish taco" out there. The taste was meaty and fresh with its' garnish's.

It was later that I learned about her work in helping keep the reefs clear of these fish and what a way to do it, by using them as food. I just want to say THANK YOU to Gynna for making my last day in AK very special by introducing me to a food I had never had. When I return to AK, I will be sure to come back !

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank RSMartin2014

Leominster,MA
“Lionfish Hunter Rules !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Eating fresh Lionfish that we caught diving with Gynna was amazing !! Well, she caught all the Lion Fish !! HA HA !! Gynna's Tai Mexican cuisine is where it's at !!! Can't wait to stop in again !!!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank scubasteve37
Eugene, OR
“Ah damn, this is cool.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

Seriously.

A bit run-down, a bit side-of-the-road.

But so delicious and authentic and Akumal, you cannot pass it up!

Had lunch there recently with hubby. The proprietress shared with us how she'd gone spear-hunting/scuba diving the other day and caught like 86 lionfish. She explained that lionfish are invasive and not native. The little jerks need to go.

I'm not really into fish, but so tasty! I ordered the whole thing on a plate so that I could see it with all its deadly spines, served I guess one would say a la maison: how she wanted to cook it that day.

So delicious! With a beer!

Stop by for an experience you seriously won't get *anywhere* else.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Thai fusion, lionfish, freshly made beverages (gingerale!)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

Second visit to Gynn'Ak! Happy to try the lionfish filet (delicious!) with thai slaw. If you love ginger, try the muy grande freshly made gingerale..it's kickin'! Could not resist purchasing a soft and supple tank top with groovy lionfish design. The music is always notably enjoyable and the service friendly and competent...I'll be back!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank January W
Seattle, Washington
“Spring Rolls”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

Ok, so these are not on the menu, but if you ask for them, they should be able to make them. In the wonton wrapper, there is creamy curry sauce (possibly avocado based) with chicken and cashews. Then this spring roll is flash fried to crispy perfection. They serve this with their famous chipotle hoison sauce, which you can read about in other reviews. These spring rolls are served on a bed of asian cabbage slaw. Please do yourself a favor and ask if they can make these for you. We went back multiple times in a week just for this appetizer. Bring bug spray.

• Visited January 2014