“Average to very good, go early for best visibility”
Review of Yal-ku Lagoon

$89.00*
Cenotes and Paradise Lagoon with Snorkeling from Playa del Carmen
Ranked #5 of 27 things to do in Akumal
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Yal-ku is a privately owned cenote that is connected to the open sea via a lagoon and estuary. It offers a beginner level snorkeling experience with depths ranging from three feet to over twenty feet. Fish and an occasional turtle or ray can be seen, but go early!

Every year this lagoon gets more attention - and more crowds. Remember to bring only certified "biologico" sunscreen as each container will be scrutinized by the owners and rejected if it contains non-ecological ingredients (anything other than zinc oxide). In by 9, out by 11 and you'll enjoy your day.

There's a cafe, shaded areas to keep the sun off, and beautiful bronze statuary throughout the park. It's a gem, but don't expect much in the way of varieties or numbers of fish or corals.

4  Thank John H
There are newer reviews for Yal-ku Lagoon

Reviewed July 27, 2014

This is a nice attraction but far from ecotourism. I live in North Akumal full time and while Yal Ku maintains it's own property nicely, the tourists and the people that drive them there leave our neighborhood full of trash including soda and beer bottles, snack bags and wrappers and even the plastics their snorkeling gear is packaged in. I walk my dog and pick up after him every day and carry a large trash bag with me often. I usually run out of room before I can pick up all of the trash left where the cabs and tour busses park. I know it is the tourists because my haul usually includes snorkel gear packaging and YalKu entrance wrist bands in the piles of trash.

I have spoken to Andriana the manager who assured me this would be taken care of but I have not seen a change. If you want to be a good tourist, take your trash with you and dispose of it properly or maybe use the cans right across from the YalKu entrance.

15  Thank Enviroguy101958
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Bottom line... You walk for about 40 minutes to get to a place where you pay $14.00/person to see what you can see at any reef or beach for free. (Actually, I think we saw more fish just off a beach we did not have to pay for)

2  Thank brewgringo
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Expensive to get in, and not that many fish. The water seemed cloudy as well. It's a pretty spot, but not worth the price. We saw a lot more fish snorkeling outside our condo in Half Moon Bay. Feels like a tourist trap.

1  Thank Melawell
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Definitely a great spot for people who might be a little anxious about snorkeling in the open ocean. Easy in and out of the water and the fish are right there. Although the visibility is good it appeared to me that there was some kind of film in the water. I thought it was my mask at first but when I lifted my mask from the water it was completely clear, so I'm not sure what was going on. Personally I preferred the snorkeling in the open ocean at Half Moon Bay or Akumal Bay. Also, I got her when it opened so there weren't many people in the water, which is just how I like it.