“Helpful Guide & Beautiful Snorkelling Experience”
Review of Akumal Dive Shop

Akumal Dive Shop
Ranked #1 of 23 Tours in Akumal
More attraction details
Owner description: The Original Akumal Dive Shop is a 5 Star PADI IDC center. The first dive shop on Mexico's Caribbean mainland. With over 30 years experience we offer the best from accommodation, tours, snorkeling and recreational diving to advanced levels of instructor training in Akumal Riviera Maya Mexico.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Vancouver, Canada
“Helpful Guide & Beautiful Snorkelling Experience”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed at Las Villas Akumal and on our last day we went to Akumal Dive Shop to try out snorkelling. Our guide Victor was very helpful and courteous. My wife and I are unable to swim but have assured us that he would guide us. We had life jackets and held onto a flotation device while Victor swam. Meanwhile Israel shot photographs of us and of the ocean life. We were able to see beautiful turtles, fish, coral reef and other creatures. The shop itself was good - they have lockers, bathrooms, showers and all the necessary equipment. The price of $30 was very reasonable.

Visited September 2013
akumalCom, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Akumal Dive Shop, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Hola simmaltree!
We are glad that you ventured yourselves to discover the beautiful marine life there is in Akumal Bay! We stress a lot on safety and we will always take good care of our guests so that they can enjoy 100% of their experience! We are happy to hear you liked the tour!
We hope you come back real soon!

Presho, South Dakota
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 133 helpful votes
“Snorkeling with Akumal Dive Shop”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

While staying at Akumal Beach Resort, we were looking for a snorkel tour to just Dos Ojos Cenote. We inquired at the Akumal Dive Shop where a very helpful woman scheduled us a tour for the next morning.
We met our guide Alfredo (Freddie) at the dive shop. (A 10 minute walk down the beach from our resort.) The tour was very reasonably priced. We had our own equipment but you can also rent it from them.
Alfredo was a friendly, knowledgeable guide. We felt completely safe with him at all times.
Even though I had researched the cenote, Dos Ojos was much more exciting than I had ever imagined, We loved our tour. It only took a couple of hours and was exactly what we had been looking for.
We will definitely use Akumal dive Shop in the future.

1 Thank DIVESD
Hola DIVESD!
We are so glad you loved Dos Ojos! It is a magical place and it is true you dont realize it until you are in the water exploring its many passage ways decorated with stalactites and stalagmites.
We are happy to know that your visit to Dos Ojos exceeded your expectations!
Thank you very much for coming with us and for taking the time to write! We hope you come visit us again!
London, United Kingdom
136 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 127 helpful votes
“Brilliant experience”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We (family of five adults) took a taxi to Akumal from Playa del Carmen early in the morning. We were dropped right outside the dive shop and were greeted outside by a guide as if we were regular customers. We signed up for a turtle swim (about $25 per person). The shop is great - showers, lockers and changing facilities and the set up incredibly professional. We were taken out with a guide and photographer and saw about 10 turtles and two rays. It was a beautiful experience and the photographs (about $50) were well worth it. The only disappointment is that I had expected the coral reef to be colourful and it looked dead. We were told it wasn't and that the part that snorklers are taken out to is the edge and hence grey rather than colourful. Personally I thought it was dead from all the tourists sun creams etc. I can imagine what is there now being slowly destroyed - very sad - but maybe I'm wrong. The staff were all friendly and helpful and one of the staff members sliced the top off a coconut for each of my three daughters - we had a great laugh. The beach is also beautiful and we had a long walk after enjoying a great veggie meal at the Turtle Bay Bakery and Cafe

Visited August 2013
Hola Robert!
Sounds like you had a great time that day! Im so glad to know that you were treated as you deserved and what a nice gesture from one of our guides to give a coconut to your daughters! The coral in the bay has indeed lost a bit of its color but the reef past the surf is really beautiful, you should come scuba diving! Still im sure your comments can be of lots of help for the Akumal's Ecological Center who are in charge of the health and regulation of the bay.
Thank you very much and we hope to see you back soon!
Albuquerque, New Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Akumal - My favorite vacation destination”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I recently stayed at the Akumal Beach Resort for three weeks. It was my 8th vacation at Akumal. I have always used the Akumal Dive Shop for my scuba diving and would not consider using any other local Dive Shops. The ADS has many long time employees which means they are very experienced and professional. There are also some newer employees such as Franchesca who was very helpful and a joy to talk with. Luis (Condor) is the longest employed Dive Master at the Dive Shop and took me on two deep water dives and gave me some meaningful advice and tips which I welcomed, even though I have been a diver since 1979. Luis is very professional and works hard to provide for his wife and children. His latest son is a young child that was born with a tongue defect but only a medical specialist can perform the needed surgery. The surgery cost will be $1000 which Luis will have to save up for. I encourage any divers that get to know Luis that you give him a generous gratuity to help with the surgery cost. The same applies to the other dive masters and boat captains if you are pleased with their service. Randy Clark, Albuquerque, New Mexico

Visited September 2013
Hola Randy! Thanks for coming every time you are here to scuba dive with us! We are really touched for your comments about Condors son and we too really hope he can get surgery really soon. Thank you for encouraging divers that visit us and dive with condor to help him!
We hope you never stop diving with us when you are in Akumal! Thank you very much for recommending us!
Delaware, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This place was great. My husband had made reservations about a month ahead via email. They were very quick to respond and to answer all of our questions. When we got there they took us back right away and introduced us to our instructor Diego. He was great. He explained all of the equipment to us in detail and made sure we were comfortable with it. Then we watched a short video about the bay and the importance of the sea turtles. He then took us out to the bay and explained exactly what we would be doing. I was really nervous about being in ocean water but he made me feel completely comfortable. He started out just showing us how to breathe. I know it sounds silly but its very important to be calm and breathe deep and slow. We then ventured out into deeper waters and there were the turtles! They were beautiful and huge! Diego even went the extra mile and took our underwater camera, dove deeper and took a bunch of wonderful pictures for us of up close turtles, stingrays and even a lobster. It was great and I am so glad we went! If you venture down to this gem ask for Diego, he was wonderful!

Visited September 2013
akumalCom, Public Relations Manager at Akumal Dive Shop, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Hola SallyJ320!
Sounds like at the end you lost fear completely about going in the ocean water! We are very glad Diego made this happen by showing you the beauty of the underwater world of Akumal! Im sure you took home beautiful pictures!
We will be always very glad to be your hosts in this beautiful place, so we hope to see you again soon! Thank you!