“2nd Time Around”
Review of Akumal Dive Shop

Akumal Dive Shop
Ranked #1 of 23 Tours in Akumal
More attraction details
Owner description: The Original Akumal Dive Shop is a 5 Star PADI IDC center. The first dive shop on Mexico's Caribbean mainland. With over 30 years experience we offer the best from accommodation, tours, snorkeling and recreational diving to advanced levels of instructor training in Akumal Riviera Maya Mexico.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Liverpool
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“2nd Time Around”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Visiting Akumal for the second time last week, I (recently "Open Water" qualified) wanted to go diving with my son (a returning "Open Water"qualified diver) and my brother (an experienced diver). The staff, under Alvaro's leadership, simply worked around colds, inconvenient arrivals and departures and a little more wind than usual to make us more confident together and create memorabl;e family diving experiences, including a superb shark dive. The humour and banter is constant but never compromises their vigilance. They simply deliver maximum enjoyment in complete safety. Talking to other people with whom we dived, who had travelled from other parts of the Riviera Maya, it was clear that whether instructors or newbies they felt the same. I will be diving (and laughing) with them again next year.

1 Thank Michael_WLiverpool
theakumaldiveshop, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Akumal Dive Shop, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Hola Michael_WLiverpool!
It's great we are another good reason for you to come back to the Riviera Maya and do Scuba Diving next year! It's true we've had some strong winds but we try hard to make every dive the safest! so you feel as comfortable and confident no matter what! See you next year so we can have a good time and laugh all together!

Winnipeg, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Ask for Carlos Olrey”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Carlos works freelance out of this dive shop. We did a one on one dive, he is an excellent teacher. I appreciated the individual attention and his price was very fair. I only have an email address to reach him at, it is carlosolrey @ hotmail.com

Visited February 2013
theakumaldiveshop, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Akumal Dive Shop, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Hola Lara H!
It is great to know that Carlos treated you the way you deserved! We are very pleased to be preferenced by not only direct customers but by the freelance instructors that choose us as their operation base!
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 339 helpful votes
“Great Dive Shop”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

There are many things to look for in a good dive shop and this place has them all!

Friendly staff-Check
Large shop to move around-Check
Large rinse tank-Check
Large lockers-Check
Can store your gear between dives-Check
Great prices-Check
Good location-check
Close to boat in shallow water for easy entry-check
Gear repair when needed-Check
Rental Gear-Check
Clean bathrooms-Check
Shower-Check
Retail Shop-Check
Organized with lots of staff-Check
Large changing area-Check
Free Parking-Check
Big Boats-Check
Close diving spots-Check
Small group dives-Check
Dive briefing-check
Help with carrying gear-Check
Surface intervals at shop to relax and use facilities-Check

Great Dives and Dive Masters-Super Check

Three days of diving and I enjoyed them all. Will definitely be back for more.

Hola ksiddel!
WOW! You really amazed us by doing this check list! We are so proud that we scored positively at all your points and that we had a "super check" with the dives and divemasters! Thank you very much and we really hope you come back soon for more!
Chico, California
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Have dove with them 20 years . Keep coming back .”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My family and I have been coming to akumal dive shop for years . I had one of my children dive certified there and the other one did her classes in our town then the actual dive portion there . I have dove many times there and have long lasting friendships with some of the divemasters . The staff is very friendly and the prices are very fair. I would suggest to anyone that if you want to certify to dive , stay in akumal casitas (super close by), E-mail shop and set up your open water classes. Get it done . I know so many people who , "havent quite finished " . Water in bay in 80's .

Hola Robert M!
Isn't it great that you can choose to do your dives while learning in Akumal? even if its the whole course or just the open water dives! And well, you know already by experience that Akumal is a nice diving spot! After 20 years, you are definately not disappointed! Thank you for coming diving along all these years and especially for passing on to your children the tradition of scuba diving!!!
louisville
“Going back for more”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I did my open water last year in February with this dive shop. My experience with the whole staff was great. I will be there again on the 21st for 9 days and have booked the Bull Shark dive and am looking forward to a 10 dive package at a remarkably good price. I would highly recommend.

Visited February 2013
theakumaldiveshop, Public Relations Manager at Akumal Dive Shop, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Hola engr584th!
We can't wait for you to come back!! We will have so much fun with the bulls! Its time for some serious diving!!!