“fabulous experience”
Review of Akumal Dive Center

Akumal Dive Center
More attraction details
Owner description: We are the Akumal Dive Center located in the main Akumal Bay, next to the Lolha Restaurant. We offer snorkel tours, rental equipment, scuba, dive classes, Open 8:00 AM TO 5:00 PM.
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“fabulous experience”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I spent one week diving with this dive center and have nothing but great things to say! The staff was incredibly attentive, organized, friendly and experienced. I was in touch with them from Canada prior to my trip, to organize my diving excursions and they were great at responding to my inquiries via email right away; something that could not be said for other outfits. The moment I arrived, they were awaiting me and knew me by name, and made me feel welcomed instantly.The diving itself was incredible and they put great emphasis on safety and teaching for newcomers or repeat customers. The fact that I was diving with repeat customers re-enforced just how popular this outfit is to seasoned divers.Thank you Akumal Dive Center for a great experience! I will be back. Frank S. Kamloops B.C.

1 Thank Michele H

• Polish first
El Dorado Hills, California, United States
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Review for SCUBA diving”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Ok I accidentally dove with this shop as there are two here and they are named the same. Here is my review.....

They were busy on this day and organization was bordering on confused due to lack of equipment.

Friendliness: They get a very good rating here. Even though they were busy the staff was very friendly.

Safety: Not very great. Average at best, luckily there were experienced divers in our group and we helped others who were looking lost and had not been diving for a while including a 16 y/o girl who thought she was taking a refresher. There was no review of hand signs to make sure everyone was on the same page and they never asked for my padi information. When we were ready to dive it was sit on the side and go backwards... ok go down. That was the instruction. The poor 16 y/o looked scared and I did help her calm down. Once she was on the bottom she was atatched to the instructors hip which was good.

No one was insured of a dive buddy and we all took it upon ourselves. This is somewhat a common occurence but should not be at any dive center.

Equipment: The equipment was very poor and not well maintained. The 16 y/o had a CRACKED hose on her rescue line. Not a little crack.... old multi cracks throughout the hose! My pressure gauge had a leak which I had to fix. All the BCV's were old and some gauges appeared to be from the early 70's.

The dive was ok. We dove halfmoon bay and saw one ray, and a couple fish. Dives are unpredictable and what you see is no fault of any shop usually. The snorkeling on teh beach was better.

Location: Well this shop is right on the beach so it is easy to find your family or friends if they want to snorkel why you dive.

Hope this helps and email with any qyestions.

1 Thank Lwayneman1
Spanish Fork, Utah, United States
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Very helpful”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We took the SCUBA Diving Adventure from the Akumal Dive Center. It was about half the price of the certification course but included full lessons on how to use the equipment and to be safe under water. We went to the pool next door and used the SCUBA tank and gear. Our instructor was Manuel from Cuba and he was clear, patient, kind and wanted us to "go slow, no Speedy Gonzalez." A very thorough. Our friends already had their PADI certificate but were allowed to accompany us to the pool. They thought Manuel was the best they heard and learned a great deal. He then took us by boat beyond the reef and led us down the rope to 25 feet below sea level. Snorkeling is fun, but SCUBA is amazing. Incredible. We followed him along the ocean floor until we reached depths exceeding 40 feet (not more than 50). After an adventure for an hour we surfaced and came back in. A great morning!!

Denver, Colorado
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Great service”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Prompt, helpful, knowledgable, convenient location. We were able to rent snorkel equipment and swim with the turtles in the bay...leaving our car safely in their lot the whole time.

Visited November 2012
Ottawa, Canada
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 178 helpful votes
“Wonderful service - friendly and laid-back”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

My wife, our five-year old and I rented some life jackets for snorkeling from Akumal Dive Center. Maybe that's a pretty small thing on which to base a review, but since anyone can rent you something, it is service that tells the pro's from the con's, and these folks are pro's in my book. First I needed to rent one life jacket. The guy helping me made sure I had the right one, and went so far as to tell me that in his view the traditional "Mustang" style life jacket is superior to the inflatable "airline emergency" style because "you don't have this rope between your legs". No sooner had I rented one but my wife decided she needed one, too. No problem - he took care of that small transaction (they cost $6.00 for a whole day). I asked about storing our stuff. No worries - he could rent me a locker, or I could just stash my stuff for free behind the counter. Stash it I did. Ten minutes later I needed to get at my stuff again - no problem. He handed me my bag, I rooted out my camera, and he took the bag back. Then I wanted advice on using the camera under water. Another person showed me a bag that I could rent to protect the camera. She didn't have to do that - they rent under water cameras and she could have tried to push one on me, but instead she showed me the much cheaper "dry bag" option. All of this is retold here simply to support my observation that this place gives good service. They even recommended a few restaurants, critiqued the food, prices and service, and showed me where to find the places they had mentioned (see my Lol-Ha review also on Trip Advisor!)

1 Thank WJP89