“great place with friendly staff”
Review of Akumal Dive Center

Akumal Dive Center
More attraction details
Owner description: We are the Akumal Dive Center located in the main Akumal Bay, next to the Lolha Restaurant. We offer snorkel tours, rental equipment, scuba, dive classes, Open 8:00 AM TO 5:00 PM.
Reviewed April 8, 2012

We had read about this place on trip advisor and are sure glad we went.

it was a short collectivo ride from our resort and all my wife wanted was to swim with turtles. "what baby wants baby gets " ;) so off we went on our adventure. There are many other dive people trying to get you to use their gear but just walk by them. The akumal dive center offers it all. Equipment lockers banos and showers. all reasonably priced...so much so that we recommended them to everyone on our resort and we went twice. I know this is not our last visit we will return, some day soon.

To find the tuurtles, just head out past the boats and follow the sea grass, if you see something that looks like a rock, its a turtle. We were lucky and had a tour with one of the turtles for an hour and a half. He toured us around the bay and intoduced us to other turtles, rays, fish and it was all amazing. Swimming with a sea turtle in his home. how cool is that??

Definately worth the visit and spending the day. Remember not to touch the turtles and wear biodegradeable sun screen so we can all go back and visit crush and his friends for many years to come ;0)

2  Thank SkTraveler2010
There are newer reviews for Akumal Dive Center

Reviewed March 30, 2012

great help. Rented an underwater camera for the day for $45! Also gave us tips for foggy masks...use toothpaste!

1  Thank Theresa P
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We booked with Akumal Dive Center based on my discussion with Gerardo. I was going to send my 12 and 15 year old kids out on a boat with strangers, and I wanted to be able to go out with them. As I later found out, it wasn't really necessary, for a couple of reasons. First they don't have to go too far to dive, and second, the staff is amazing.

My kids did their open water certification with Natalie, who is just a fabulous instructor. She's knowledgeable, conscientious and FUN! She made sure the kids were ready to dive, and took them out to see some amazing things. The captains also did a great job of finding spots for them to dive and following them.

I am so happy that we found Akumal Dive Center -- the kids had a great time and I was worry-free! It was one of the best experiences we've had on vacation -- we can't wait to see them again.

1  Thank ericacarter
Reviewed March 26, 2012

We were excited to book our first PADI OW certified dive with "Dive with Natalie and Ivan". They operate out of the Akumal Dive Center (check out their website). Ivan was our DM and he was great. We wanted a small group dive for our first drift dive experience; we had one other diver along with us. All of the rental equipment was in great shape, Ivan was patient answering my many questions before hand and after the dive brief I felt confident and ready to test out my newly acquired dive skills. He took us to the Motorcycle Reef - we saw 3 huge sea turtles along with many other things. We only wish we had time to do more dives while we were there.

The Dive Center has snorkeling equipment for sale and lockers as well as underwater cameras available for rent. There are washrooms & showers on site as well.

Reviewed March 12, 2012

I was recently diving in Akumal and the boat operators from the Akumal Dive Center are just fantastic. If you go you will see first hand how they are able to navigate around snorkelers who seem not to realize how big a boat is or that it has a motor or two with whirlling underwater blades.
My partner and I also enjoyed the retail part of this center and purchased our family gifts here as well as some sunscreen which was absolutely wonderful. Reef friendly of course.
It was great to find clothing made in Mexico.
This was a very busy place most days and many people were diving with Akumal Dive Center.