Firstly, before comments about the actual hotel, I must flag up a warning: please check and double check that your safe works and that you use it every single time you leave the room. Day 1, all my UK banknotes were taken from inside a purse in the safe, which admittedly, I had forgotten to lock. However, this does not absolve dishonesty. Also, if you're on the ground floor, check you have completely closed the French doors. Guest relations and security took details, riffled through my belongings to check I hadn't "mislaid" the money, and sent us a bottle of local fizz, but I guess there wasn't much else they could do.
Secondly, the hotel owned Dolphinarius is just downright wrong and I will be contacting animal welfare organisations too. 4 dolphins kept in a former swimming pool... It may have been deepened but nonetheless it is scandalous.
Ok, the hotel itself: nice lobby and grounds, good sized buffet restaurant with a lot of choice, which is a good thing as the food didn't really vary over the 10 days we were there. Our ground floor room was near reception, bar and restaurant, and very close to one of the 3 pools. It was ok for 3 adults sharing, but didn't have sufficient storage and wasn't perfectly clean - a sticky mark on the floor remained there throughout our stay. We received the turn down service just twice and the fridge restocking was a bit hit and miss. Not exactly a 5 star, closer to a 4 star.
Nice pools and we never had a problem finding a lounger by the quietest pool. Service throughout the hotel was ok, but noticeably better if you tip. This was particularly true in the bar. After being stolen from, I was reluctant to tip, esp housekeeping, and would comment that the pool waiter trainee (Isabel) was the only member of staff whose service was consistently good, irrespective of tipping. Sadly, he wasn't around for our last couple of days, so missed his end of stay tip.
Other restaurants: Alux was great, and I'll be doing a separate review. Maiko and Frutos de Mar were so-so.
Location: other side of main road from the beach and the other 3 hotels in the complex. 10 minute lobby train journey to the tiny beach area, but plenty of public beach too. The other hotels are family focused (Sian Ka'an is adults only) so is noisier and busier.
All in all, we had a great holiday, and took many trips, but I wouldn't go back to the Sian Ka'an. Theft leaves an unpleasant flavour.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 4 outdoor pools (1 with Jacuzzi) Sun terrace with loungers and sun umbrellas BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Transfer to the beach and other facilities on the complex (at set times) Water activity centre, Beach Club with exclusive bar (at the Grand Principe Tulum) Motorised water sports (additional charge) WiFi access in the lobby and in rooms (free of charge) 1 international buffet restaurant 2 speciality restaurants 4 Bars 1 snack-bar Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest. Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco. Rooms 420 rooms including 4 types: Junior Suite, Deluxe Junior Suite, Deluxe Garden Junior Suite, Deluxe Penthouse Junior Suite. Deluxe Garden Junior Suites and Deluxe Penthouse Junior Suites are larger than the Junior Suites and the Deluxe Junior Suites. Room facilities: King size bed or 2 full size beds Air conditioning Ceiling fan Direct phone line (additional charge for external calls) Sitting area with sofa-bed and armchairs Balcony or terrace Bathroom with shower, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Bathroom amenities Bathrobe and slippers Don Pablo Collection amenities Alarm clock with iPod docking station Flat screen TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe Iron and ironing board 24 hour room service Butler service in rooms Private Jacuzzi Wifi (free of charge) Pillow menu Aroma menu Other services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings and anniversaries, as well as corporate incentive trips and conventions Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with KIPPIN S.A Lussemburgo Cadempino Branch, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Sian Ka`An Golf Resort And Spa
- Gran Bahia Principe Sian Ka`An Golf Hotel Akumal
- Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'An Don Pablo Collection Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico