We were a little hesitant to go to Mexico, but were travelling with friends who had been to Mexico before. We are so glad that we went. Mexico is our new love. Sian Ka'an has ruined me for all other resorts. This place was amazing! The food, the rooms and the staff were top shelf! Our only regret was not booking it for two weeks rather than one. We flew with Air Canada Rouge - which wasn't the greatest compared to Air Transat, but they got us there safely and that's all that matters. Our Air Canada reps at the Cancun airport were very helpful and treated us all like royalty. The drive to the resort was about an hour or so - but we slept and recharged. Once we arrived, the only thing we had to worry about was if we wanted a marguarita or not. Check in was a breeze. It may have taken 5 minutes. Our room wasn't ready since we arrived early in the day, but we were invited to enjoy lunch at the buffet. Our luggage was taken care of and we had a fabulous lunch. Our waiters were Demetrio and Jose. They treated us like family- they were incredibly hospitable. They took care of us the entire trip - Demetrio even made a few 'goodbye' gifts for us on our last day. We were also taken care of by Silvia, who taught us a few words in Spanish and would kid around with us. We thoroughly enjoyed the way we were treated. The staff shows genuine interest in you and doesn't serve you because they have to. They treat you like you are welcome guests in their home.
Just a word of advice: Email ahead for any room requests or Reservation requests for the la carte restaurants. This will save you some time in the long run. I dealt with Erika via email and she was incredibly helpful. She had everything done for us that we requested. When I went to introduce myself, she already knew who I was and treated me like and old friend. Fabulous Service!
Our rooms were amazing. We were upgraded for free and the room was beyond our expectations. It was like a small apartment and incredibly clean. We had no issues with the room. Our room faced the 'jungle' and was very quiet. We had no issues with mosquitos either - which is strange for me as they view me as a buffet.
Our room was cleaned while we were having breakfast, so if we needed to change for the beach, our room was ready.
Our favorite buffet was the one at Sian Ka'an. Fabulous food! A lot of variety. They have a dress code - so don't go in your bathing suit.
We tried a few al la carte restaurants. Our favourite was the one at the Sian Ka'an resort - Alux. Great food and great service.
We tried the Japanese restaurant and loved the 'show' but the food wasn't good...especially the fried ice cream. It was a puddle of chocolate in a dough that you would get in a chicken ball. We would go to the buffet for dessert instead.
We also went to the Don Pablo restaurant and our server had a major attitude. Not sure if he was tired and hated his job or what. No matter how pleasant we were to him, it wouldn't break the ice. He basically would toss our plated onto the table and storm off. He did this with everyone in his area. The food wasn't all that great either.
The ambiance was beautiful though and so was the wine....and dessert.
The beach is beautiful! We snorkeled for the first time and saw many amazing fish. The best time to see schools of fish is around 4 pm. Not sure why, but they always came around that time. We saw a lot of beautiful animals on the beach . iguana's, pelicans and turtles. There is a trolley to the beach - which runs regularly - so you don't have to wait long. The trolley drivers are a lot of fun and very helpful. Sian Ka'an has their own private area on the beach with it's own private bar. A server would always come around and take your order if you wished. Some from other resorts would try to order from the bar and were not served. One man was a little sloshed and not from the Sian Ka'an resort. He was refused for two reasons - he had to much and he wasn't from Sian Ka'an. He threw a fit. The manager handled it very well. There's always one in every crowd.
Make sure you tip. We brought both US and peso's. 20 peso's is worth approx. 2.00. 50 peso's is worth just shy of 5.00. The staff works extremely hard and treats you like royalty.
The entertainment was good. A woman who sang beautifully - would sing each night. It wasn't too loud or over the top. You could sit and enjoy a drink and the atmosphere.
This is a very quiet resort, perfect to recharge your batteries. If you are looking for a party scene, this is not the place for you.
We also went to the ruins in Tulum. We caught the bus (it's like an airport shuttle) and it cost us something like 6.00 to go to Tulum. So don't bother paying the crazy amounts through the tourism operators. We would take the trolley that takes you to the beach, told the trolley driver our plans, he then dropped us off at an area before the bridge. We walked to the highway and there is a 'bus stop' to the left - going under the bridge. The 'bus' is called 'collection' and you tell him where you want to go and he will tell you how much. Very easy and safe. The bus is like an airport shuttle and is air conditioned. It seats approx 12 people.
All in all, we loved our stay at Sian Ka'an and would love to go back. Needless to say, I am searching for deals to Sian Ka'an for next year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 4 outdoor pools (1 with Jacuzzi) Sun terrace with loungers and sun umbrellas BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Transfer to the beach and other facilities on the complex (at set times) Water activity centre, Beach Club with exclusive bar (at the Grand Principe Tulum) Motorised water sports (additional charge) WiFi access in the lobby and in rooms (free of charge) 1 international buffet restaurant 2 speciality restaurants 4 Bars 1 snack-bar Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest. Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco. Rooms 420 rooms including 4 types: Junior Suite, Deluxe Junior Suite, Deluxe Garden Junior Suite, Deluxe Penthouse Junior Suite. Deluxe Garden Junior Suites and Deluxe Penthouse Junior Suites are larger than the Junior Suites and the Deluxe Junior Suites. Room facilities: King size bed or 2 full size beds Air conditioning Ceiling fan Direct phone line (additional charge for external calls) Sitting area with sofa-bed and armchairs Balcony or terrace Bathroom with shower, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Bathroom amenities Bathrobe and slippers Don Pablo Collection amenities Alarm clock with iPod docking station Flat screen TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe Iron and ironing board 24 hour room service Butler service in rooms Private Jacuzzi Wifi (free of charge) Pillow menu Aroma menu Other services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings and anniversaries, as well as corporate incentive trips and conventions Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, KIPPIN S.A Lussemburgo Cadempino Branch, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Sian Ka`An Golf Resort And Spa
- Gran Bahia Principe Sian Ka`An Golf Hotel Akumal
- Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'An Don Pablo Collection Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico