“Still one of the best”

Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My husband and I visited Sian Ka’an for the second time Oct 4-18 2013. We really love this hotel.

Some o f the good things have changed. There used to be lobster at the buffet during Gala night before but not this time. Some of the High-end alcohol is now at a cost. Also for such a young hotel, the mattresses are getting old already. The shuttles were not as efficient as the last time we went, we waited longer than before, but still, we manage to get back “Home”.

The service is still the best we have found. Martha at the beach serving lazy vacationers at their chair is still amazing. Her smile and cheerfulness is contagious. We had service from another employee but it was nothing compare to the efficiency of Martha. She was also able to speak to us in a bit of English. She even went to her boss Maria for help when she needed translation for some words; we really appreciate both their efforts.

As for the restaurants, the buffet we always sat with Miriam and Hugo, that is were we got the best service. À la carte, Wilbert, Roque, Wimlhi were superb. These people deal with all kinds of guests and we saw a few incidents where the employees were not treated really well but still they were able to stay professional.

We will surely go back, as this place is what we are looking for when we travel.

Overall a great stay, if you have not been to this hotel before, you will love it!

12  Thank Cye
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay and loyalty to the Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an resort; we value the time you took to share your impressions, the good but the bad ones as well.

We are sorry that after the second time with us you think that some of the good things have changed, however we are glad to read that the service is stil the best. Thank you for mentioning our staff be sure your comments will be forwarded to all our team, specially to the mention ones.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back again at the Riviera Maya,

Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an Don Pablo Collection

Write a ReviewReviews (7,713)

Reviewed October 21, 2013

My partner and I just returned from a 12 day visit to this hotel and could not have been happier. Having read some of the comments we were a bit dubious, being a couple in their 20's. We travelled through Virgin Holidays and upgraded for a small fee for the Sian Kaan. I would encourage you all to attend. The weather was great, hotel was peaceful with a hint of action and you had access to the other 3 more livilier hotels, should you want.

I cannot praise Leo on the animation team enough. At around 3pm, activites would take place, in the activity pool such as water volley-ball and water polo etc and he would always ralley a crowd. He was high energy all day and works extremely hard. Never struggled to get a lounger even when we woke up at 12pm!

Resort was extremely clean, they were always doing something around the resort. The private Beach was amazing and snokelling a treat. There were fish all around you, which was great. Make sure you get your free hour at least one.

The Al a Carte Restaurants were good, our favourite was the 2 Japenese restaurants. Tequilla the Mexican was O.K, I've had better in London and we did not like Arlequin at all. We went to the Hacidena once for the Avatar show and went to the club also. Although the club did not have AC.

Activities wise, we did Xplor and Coco Bongo's. Xplor was good with the Zip Lines and underground rivers. Coco Bongo's was absolutley fabulous, we were a bit put off with the fact they pick you up at 9:30am and the coach didn't pick you up until 3:30pm. But it flew by, we sat in the VIP area and you only had to ask for 1 drink and they refilled this before you got 3/4's the way through. Brillient Night!!!

All in all a great trip and will definatley be going back!!!

3  Thank Lauren H

Dear Lauren,

On behalf of the entire Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an staff I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

We are honored that you have chosen our hotel as your holiday destination and that you loved it, will be looking forward to welcoming you back again.

We are sorry if Arlequin restaurant and the club’s facilities were not upon your expectations, however, your comments will be forwarded to the management in order to improve our service.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback, hope we can welcome you again soon.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed October 19, 2013

My wife and I just returned from ten days at Sian Ka'an and we could not have been more satisfied. Although the ride from the airport was a bit long, it was more than worth it. The grounds and the facilities were beautiful and well maintained, the variety and quality of the food and beverages excellent, but the engaging and attentive attitude of the staff is what made our stay exceptional. Every encounter was cheerful and genuinely considerate; the culture of service seems to be well ingrained and self-sustaining. All staff exceeded our expectations but several distinguished themselves by remembering us and our preferences without prompting.

We heartily recommend this fine resort and will definitely be returning.

9  Thank Tom B
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear Tom,

We are really happy to read that you had an exceptional stay at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an. Thanks for taking time to write a review about your experience.

We really appreciate your positive comments; it is for guests like you that our resort remains one of the most appreciated hotels in the Riviera Maya.

Looking forward to welcome you again, we send our kindest regards,

Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

Our second visit to Mexico this year, but this time we opted to travel south of Cancun - approx 100km south - a bit of trek especially after a 9+ hour flight...but it's well worth it.! As you travel along the highway of the riviera region you can't but notice the impressive grandiose entrances to the resorts. And they seem to get grander and bigger the further you go...and then you arrive at the Bahia Príncipe Sian Ka'an...if Carlsberg did hotel entrances ..!

As I write this review we still have one night left...the week has flown by..all thanks to the superb, attentive and extremely friendly staff. First hats-off to the Customer Services Training Manager - whoever he/she is - you're doing a wonderful job.!

The Sian Ka'an is the adults only part of the complex, there are 3 other hotels on the site which are designed for families..but they are all a long way from the Sian Ka'an but easily accessible by the excellent transport system of trolley-buses which ferry you from hotel to hotel and restaurant to restaurant..all run very frequently.

If you're a foodie then this is the place for you.. In every restaurant (and we tried 6 of them.!) we had an excellent experience. Ok so it's not Michelin Star quality, but who can eat Michelin Star food every day for a week.? What you do get is excellent quality, variety and service. The Sian Ka'an has 2 top en restaurants - Maiko (Japanese) and Alux (French), sadly for us we could not get a booking for the Alux, but the Maiko was superb. Breakfasts, lunches and even the evening buffet were superb all with enormous variety which was not repeated throughout our stay... They must have some very imaginative chefs behind the scenes.!

We opted to stay in a Junior Suite with a Garden Jacuzzi..needlesstosay we didn't use this once.. So a bit of a waste. Out apartment was in block 16 which was a bit of a walk from the main reception and bar, but to be honest we we're welcome of the walk to-and-from to stretch our legs after yet another fab dinner.!

One tip I would pass on is to book your choice of restaurants well in advance of arriving, that way you can get your preferred choice and a sitting which suits your dining habits.

All-in-all a superb stay and I can confidently say that we will be returning...as soon as possible.!

Thank you all at the Sian Ka'an for making us feel so at home.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Trevor M
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

Dear Trevor,

We really appreciate you taking the time to send some valuable comments about your stay with us. The comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are very important to maintain the quality at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an.

It is for guests like you who send us some nice words after their holiday, that our staff finds every day the motivation and energy to keep on the good work.

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that we made you feel so at home, hope we can repeat this wonderful experience in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed October 17, 2013

I booked this resort after my wife and I had been to GBP Coba about 2 1/2 years ago. I had read how this was such a luxury resort and in some ways it was sadly once you are there for a couple of days you realize....not so much. The penthouse suite with the rooftop Jacuzzi is great and we would have felt better had the door locked but the door lock fell out on the floor and it was never fixed even when they were told about it. I will caution anyone who books the 2nd or 3rd floor you need to be prepared to climb steps. There are NO ELEVATORS! And if you have the penthouse suite you will have yet another flight of steps up to it. We were in building 406 and you could block some of the views of your Jacuzzi if you pick up some extra beach towels (no card just ask for them) .
The site I booked through showed a swim up bar, but there was none. In fact the very large pool was completely closed the entire time we were there. They told us at check in that they were having problems with it and didn't know what it was. Sounded temporary till two days later when they had a tall wire fence all the way around it covered with plastic and you could hear grinders and tile chippers being used. Made me believe this was a major redo of the pool but would rather have heard that from them at check in.
Check in was good with drinks being delivered before we got checked in. The Trainee Kal is the girl to see if you don't speak Spaniish. She is very efficient. We got in around 9AM and had to wait till 2:30 to get our room. The worse part was they had no wristbands and had to chase down the manager to open the drawer up even though they had made up our package. We ended up sitting in the lobby for 30 minutes and Kal was very apologetic but made sure we got them as soon as her boss came back.
The room was nice and kept very clean even though we were very messy (after all we are on vacation). Yes there were a few bugs seen but folks, you are in the middle of the dadgum jungle! What do you expect? One caution about bugs though. If you go up to the lobby area in the evening, do not sit near the vegetation. We have fire ants here at home but whether they were flying or crawling the ones there were on steroids!! Away from the vegetation it was no problem. The girl singer in the evening was awesome and will sing about anything you want and do it well.
The liquor stock was pretty impressive and unlike the other portions of this mega resort you didn't see any well liquor. Heard one guy complain about the beer but didn't drink any. The pool that was open back by the snack bar was very quiet and the second day we were they we spent about 4 hours at that pool. A waiter only came around one time. That evening I did tell a supervisor and the next day we went and they came around about every 20 minutes. Don't be hesitant to speak up because they obviously are listening.
Shuttles- Sometimes hard to find one and if you can't get one in the first few minutes ask one of the drivers to check on when the Sian Kaan shuttle will be by and they will check for you. The buffet was great but make sure you try the sushi! I don't normally get to excited about it but the sushi on the buffet was great. Never had cheese sushi but it was worth extra trips to the bar to get more. Staying at the Sian Kaan is suppose to allow you to eat at as many specialty restaurants as you want. If you don't mind not eating until 10PM you will have no problem. We were able to get reservations prior to 9PM only one evening even though I checked for cancellations each day. Anyway, give the specialties a shot.
We travel in the Caribbean 5-7 times a year and have been to both great and poor resorts and to be frank I would have expected more given the hype. Like my wife said, if they have to put Luxury in the name then are they trying to convince us or them? As a retired couple it was nice to not have any kids present.
Two resorts I would rate higher are Barceló Maya and Riu Palace. Barceló is a little cheaper and Riu Palace is a bit more. I don't think we will be returning to the Bahia complex again. It has everything you could ever want to have at a resort but when your property is measured in square miles what else would you expect?
I'm sure many will disagree but I feel like your money might get spent better some where else. But if you don't mind climbing to the 4th floor to get to the Jacuzzi then give this one a shot.

Room Tip: Ask for building 406/407 they are close to the buffet and the quiet pool and the snack bar. Remember...
6  Thank adwmtw

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an and for taking the time to reviewing your recent stay with us, your comments are welcome and value.

Thank you for mentioning the efficiency of Aka, our front desk trainee; Edna, the girl singer; the great buffet and that you enjoy the quiet pool that was open back by the snack bar.

I would like to make a heartfelt apology that your stay was not up to your expectations. Our team works very hard to ensure our facilities and services are superior and strive to be the best hotel around. I will not attempt to excuse the occurrences that happened during your stay, but I want to inform you that the renovation of the pool is in process so that all our guests can continue enjoying our facilities and that we don’t have elevators because we don’t have buildings with many floors, actually they are only 3 floors per building.

Once again thank you for your time and comments, hoping to have a second opportunity in a near future to welcome you back.

Receive our warmest regards,

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Just returned and already thinking about when we can go back. We stayed on the site and never left. We ate great food, all the drinks we wanted and laid on lounge chairs at beautiful beach. All the staff at this entire huge location were amazing. It was so refreshing to see people working, smiling and appreciating having employment. Service like this could never happen in the USA for a hundred reasons that I would love to go into but I won't here. After reading all the reviews prior to heading out I was prepared with lots of bug spray which I did not need (never saw a mosquito). All the landscaping here is beautiful. It is truly paradise. What we should have done was when we first arrived rode all the shuttles to all the locations to see what all was there. (There is a lot to this place). The garden suite was nice to have although we did not use it that much due to it not being completely private. That did not bother me however it did my wife so she only got in once with suit on. As for me I did not care. The reason that I cannot give 5 stars is that I do have one problem. There are 3 pools here, one of which is currently being renovated so it is closed. For 2 nights when we would visit the 2 pools at 8 or 9 PM, we would get in and after after about 10 minutes a security guard would inform us that they are closed because they just added chemicals. I think first of all the pools should be open until at least 10 or 11 PM and when they are shocked their should be signs informing people before they get in. Also, I liked the mattress however the slats that support the bed are coming loose and therefore the bed sags. It looks like a flaw in the design and must be happening to many of them. (I'm sure that the managers will see this review and remedy both of my concerns as they are very much on top of making sure everything is perfect). I wish we would have known about this place sooner and can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Garden suites are very nice
1  Thank ChasnRich

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an team I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel facility.

We are honored that you have chosen our hotel as your holiday destination and that you had one of your best vacations ever, will be looking forward to welcoming you back again.

Regarding the inconvinience with the pools we would like you to know that the renovation of the pool is in process so that all our guests can continue enjoying our little paradise, and about the schedules the pools have to be close at 8:00 in order to give them the appropriate mantainance, we use a shock treatment on the pools at night and each pool has a sign with the regulations where the schedules are specified, however , we would like to offer our sincerest apologizes if this information wasn’t provided. We are sorry to hear that the slats that support the bed were loose, be sure we will forward your comments to the management in order to improve the service.

Thank you once again for your review and we are looking forward in welcoming you back again.

Best Regards,

Reviewed October 17, 2013

On arrival we were the only people from our coach who were staying so our check in was very quick and smooth. My hand luggage was taken from me as I got off the coach and our cases were retrieved and attended to immediately. As we checked in at reception we were give margaritas which were very welcome. We were definitely off to a good start.

I think the weather has coloured our view of the resort as it rained every day, and when it wasn’t raining it was mainly overcast with very little sunshine. As a result, we did not really utilise the rest of the hotels as we probably would have done. I really liked one of the pools at the Coba and it had been our intention to spend time there but didn’t really get the opportunity. I have to say we did not like the Sian Kaan beach, it was a very small area and extremely cramped. Previous reviewers have suggested that excess loungers from the pool are taken there to overcome the lack of loungers at times – I have no idea where they would put them if they did.

On the whole the hotel is very nice, one criticism I would make is that there is not enough indoor accommodation for everyone in inclement weather.

So much for the negatives, now for the positives.

Our room was very big with defined living and sleeping areas. There was a bowl of fresh fruit on the dining table and a bottle of fizz in the fridge. We booked a junior suite superior garden room and were very pleased with it. However as the weather was not great while we were there, we made little use of the jacuzzi and garden due to the fear of being bitten by mosquitoes. In some blocks, these rooms are not very private and can be seen by everyone walking by, however ours was particularly secluded.

The food is excellent – I don’t know how anyone could fault the buffet as there is an extensive choice at lunch and dinner and definitely something for everyone. This is the only buffet I have been to that serves sirloin steaks cooked fresh. Even the food in the snack bar was good, with not just burgers and pizza but a selection of fish and meat dishes with a lovely salad bar.

The service in the main restaurant is excellent and the staff will do their utmost to look after you and get you what you want. We liked the fact the the buffet restaurant was rarely overly busy and you could go at any time and always get a choice of tables.

We used the Maiko and Alux restaurants at the Sian Kaan and they were both excellent. The Mexican restaurant at the Tulum was disappointing and the Gourmet restaurant at the Coba was nice but nothing to write home about.

The waitress service in the bar area at times did leave a lot to be desired, it was good in the evening but through the day we found the waitress service at the Coba beat the Sian Kaan hands down every time.

Overall, this is a lovely hotel and excellent value for money but if I was to come back I would definitely book outwith the rainy season. I know its just your luck and we spoke to people who had been before at the same time of year and had great weather. However, having experienced what it can be like I just wouldn’t risk booking at the same time of year again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Janine A

Dear Janine,

Thank you for your stay and review of the Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an resort; we value all of our guest’s comments that do not just include the good but the bad ones as well.

We are grateful for your comments, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed the buffet, the Maiko and Alux restaurants, your room, the buffet service. We apologize for the inconvenience about the bar service, the facilities of our private beach and the Tequila Restaurant; your comments will be forward to the correspondant departments and they will be giving this matter the proper attention.

Once again, thank you for the time taken to write your review and we are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again at our resort.

Kind Regards,