Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an
  • Bar/Lounge
Grand Oasis Tulum(Akumal)
  • Breakfast included
7,881 results
All reviewsother hotelsalux restaurantcenote snack barpenthouse suitelobby bara la carte restaurantsprivate beachrooftop jacuzzifull length mirrorgala nightdon pablosushi baran adults only resorttrolley ridedinner reservationsnever waited more than minutesbutler service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Wonderful spot if you want amazing food, amazing service and a quiet relaxing kid free holiday.
Pros: Food is outstanding and steak house quality.Buffet is the best, and worth eating every meal there
Pools: relax in the quiet. Nice to not have a swim up bar with crazy non-stop music. so nice to relax and enjoy
Service: the best!!!
Bars: Top quality

Cons: far too long from airport.
Beach: Not close to a 2 star, and not worth the 15 minute ride on a shuttle to get there

Overall worth it if you want to relax, eat and enjoy the jungle scenery

8  Thank David P
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear David

We are glad that you had a relaxing vacation at the Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an Resort, and that you have taken some time to write about how your experience was with us.

Thank you for choosing us and for writing such a nice words of us. We are happy to read that you enjoyed the amazing food, the relaxing jungle scenery, the amazing service and the top quality drinks.

We are sorry that our beach did not meet your expectations, and that the distance of our hotel from the airport was a con for you.

Best Regards,

Reviewed September 4, 2013

So glad I decided to stay here over all the other available resorts in greater Cancun. About 90 minutes south of the airport this resort pretty much did everything right. There's actually 4 resorts all connected and the Sian Kaan is the most secluded but farthest from the beach. I saved a couple of hundred bucks booking flight/hotel combo through Expedia and probably paid less than 200$ per night here in early July.

Check in was painless and they're quick with a frozen Margarita to cool you down and set the mood. I stayed in the larger section where all the junior suites are and was literally about as far away from the lobby as you can get which was about a 7 minute walk past all the pools. The rooms are big at least 500 square feet with a big dining table and a pull out loveseat with coffee-table. A short barrier where the flat screen TV sits separates the living area from the sleeping area. Its a nice set up. You can also swivel the tv to face the living room if you wish. All buildings are 3 stories and the top and ground floor suites all have private jacuzzis.

There are only 2 a-la-carte restaurants on the Sian Kaan but there must be 10 others on the 3 other resorts connected that you can eat at. Thats one of the great things at Sian Kaan is that guests have access to all other resorts but nobody in the other resorts has access to yours. Now buffet food is typically bad but Sian Kaan really did a good job and honestly I thought I could have skipped the a-la-cartes entirely but by waistline thanked me for not doing that. Me and my wife looked forward to every visit. We mostly stayed with fish and veggies and thought they were delicious. There's a fish tempura that they do that's out of sight. The staff that work there are all very courteous and especially Demetrio and Blanca who went out of their way to make us feel special.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank HurdyGurdyMan

Dear Hurdy,

We are very glad as well that you have chosen Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an in between many other resorts in the Riviera Maya, even more, we are so glad to read that you enjoyed your vacation with us.

Thank you for mentioning that you had a quick check in with a refreshing Margarita and that you enjoyed the room, the access to our sister hotels, food, and the service of our staff, especially for mentioning Demetrio and Blanca; they will be informed about your comment.

We are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again at our resort and definitely you shall return.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed at GB Sian Kaan for 14 nights from (august 16 to 30th). Let me start by saying that this is a great resort with wonderful staff ( special thanks to Brisa Islas at public relations for being so helpful before arrival and during our stay. She answered to all of our requests, she is a real professional) also special thanks to all the staff at the buffet especially to Dimitrios and Jose and the lovely lady (unfortunately I forgot her name) at the buffet entrance who welcomed us with a beautiful smile every day. This resort is to my opinion the best quality price you will have in the whole Mexican Riviera Maya. Food is amazing, good quality, always fresh, many different varieties of dishes (buffet), very clean at the buffet and all a la carte restaurants. All a la carte restaurants are excellent (Alux, Maiko). We were staying in a penthouse room which is worth the extra dollars with a private jaccuzi and terrace on the roof top. Good entertainment however a little bit repetitive at night. Pools are quiet, relaxed and very clean. Beach is not more than OK to my taste because of all the wave breakers which destroy the view (but are necessary due to the size of waves) also a lot of rocks in the water which is very unpleasant. Although the beach is very clean and the sands is like powder with many palapas to protect you from the sun. Since this resort is not directly on the beach (which we knew) you have to take the resort's transportation which is ok, but where you have to wait sometimes for several minutes especially in the morning where they are suppose to start at 7:00 a.m. but are never there before 7:20 or 7:30. One very good thing is that you have access to the other 3 resorts(Coba,Akumal,Tulum) so if you don't want to go back to Sian Kaan for lunch or anything else you can use the other facilities.(restaurants, pools, gyms etc). Overall We would definitely recommend this resort to anyone who want to have a relax vacation and don't mind the fact that the resort is not on the beach. In conclusion we had a lovely vacation that meet our expectencies.

Room Tip: Choose a Penthouse suite it's worth the extra money. choose one facing the jungle it's more private
4  Thank Philippe T

Dear Philippe,

On behalf of the entire Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an team, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your comments regarding your recent vacation at our hotel.

It is a pleasure to read that you had a lovely vacation with us and that we met your expectations during you stay. Thank you for mentioning what you enjoyed more and some of the staff that were part of you good experience. Your comments about the nightlife music, transportation and beach had been already forward to the concern and they will take care of them as much as possible.

We are honored that you have chosen our hotel as your holiday destination and will be looking forward to welcoming you back again.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I loved the Sian Kaan Bahia Prinicpe Hotel. But, the location is very far down the Riviera Maya and it takes forever to get anywhere else. The staff was so courteous and the bartenders and waiters so nice. I enjoyed the beach club though you have to take a golf cart to get there. It is a lovely beach but has stones in the sand underwater so watch your step. The sand is nice and the water so warm. The drinks were great and food at the all the various restaurants was delicious. They only serve one brand of beer so you will be very sick of it after a few days if you drink beer. It is not a good beer either. By far the Si'an Kaan is the best of the Bahia Prinicipe Resorts on the Riviera Maya. They say they have wifi all over the resort and in your rooms but it is very weak and in your room it could be non-existent at certain times of the day. Talk with the staff and they will help you. The live music in the lobby area at night is so loud you cannot even think if your room is very close to the lobby. I suggest you get a room far away if you want any peace at night. But then you will be far away from the various restaurants and lobby which is where you must go all the time to do anything or get anywhere. The swimming pools and so clean and nice but the water in summer is not cooled water. They should run a heat pump to cool the pool water but they do not. It is very uncomfortabIe since the pool water is sooooo warm. I enjoyed the stay here and would be back today if my work allowed me the time off. But I would try to solve some of these problems if I was to return. We went on a trip to Tulum to see the ruins....so hot we thought we would die since the humidity so bad. Air conditioning in the rooms very good and keeps the rooms cool and dry but not anywhere else at the resort. This makes eating very uncomforable in the summer months.

Room Tip: Stay away from the lobby if you want any quiet at nights. Get a room that the wifi works and arrange for a golf car to pick you up at your room so you don't have to walk so far to the lobby. Bring your own beer unless you want Dos Equis every time you drink beer.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ray A

Dear Ray,

Thank you for choosing Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an to spend your Mexican reunion, we appreciate the time taken to write about your experience with us.

That you have enjoyed the drinks, beach, restaurants, pools and room make us feel happy about the service we provide and give us one more reason to keep working hard. We are sorry that the unique brand of beer, the rocks at the beach, the weak WiFi and the music at the lobby at night, were some things that did not let to enjoyed a lot your stay, your comments had been forward to the concern and actions will be taken to improve them.

We wish we can welcome you back in the future,

Kind Regards,

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed here from August 26th until September 2nd.

I made my decision to stay here after reading many rave reviews online which seemed to heap tons of praise on the resort. I'd like to add my comments after I was disappointed by the food offerings at the resort.

The good:
- As stated by almost all the reviewers, the service is great, the grounds and facility are excellent for the price, and the beach is nice despite the trolly ride (which as many reviewers have stated, is inconvenient but not a big issue for most people)

The bad:
- The food is hugely overrated by reviewers. I would consider myself a foodie who enjoys a wide variety of foods and different types of cuisine. As a resident of downtown Toronto, a largely international city, I regularly eat Thai, Vietnamese, Jamaican, Mexican, and various other cuisines. I am by no means a picky eater but I can easily assert that the quality of food at this resort is far below that which is portrayed by reviewers. That being said, If you consider frozen french fries and chicken fingers or a bottle of Ragu on some spaghetti one of your favorite meals, you may very well find the food at this resort to be excellent.

Here are some observations I made while staying at the resort:
1. I ate at the lunch buffet at 12:30 almost every day, which is when it first opens. Despite this, almost all of the "hot" foods were lukewarm. This often persisted at dinner time as well.
2. Many dishes were underseasoned or had meat that was dry and very overcooked (the multiple veal dishes I tried, for example)
3. Almost all the prepared pasta dishes had a sauce I would consider a level below low grade canned pasta sauce and the noodles were always very overcooked. The cream pasta sauces were just terrible, worse than frozen TV dinner pasta in terms of taste.
4. The sushi was on par (or slightly below) the preprepared sushi you would buy in a grocery store - the rice was sweet and highly compact/pushed together just like in a grocery store.
5. The Alux restaurant appetizers we had were absolutely terrible. The "vietnamese spring rolls" at Maiko contained ground beef with a dip resembling ketchup. The Miso soup and Wonton soup at Maiko both had the exact same broth. The Wonton soup appeared to contain the leftover chopped up vegetables (zucchini, peppers) from the pasta station. The entrees at Alux (steak) and Maiko (duck) were both pretty bad. The steak was tasteless and the sauce on the duck ("Hoison sauce") was like someone took real Hoison sauce and mixed it with ketchup and sugar.
6. The dessert buffet had a variety of "okay" dessets but nothing particularly great, similar to almost every other dessert buffet in the region I imagine.
7. You must sit down to order at the snack bar. After waiting for our orders for 15 minutes, we received cold french fries and a terrible tasting burger.
8. Food seemed to be fairly regularly recycled like at cheaper resorts (ie. veal in gravy at lunch would result in veal with bamboo in gravy at dinner time)

I experienced traveller's diarrhea on the second day and am still sick to this day. I'd highly recommend taking Dukoral prior to visiting this resort, as I did not. To those who read this and still decide to go to the resort, I'd recommend the make your own pasta station using the tomato sauce as the best tasting option. Additionally, the meat at the carving station was usually half decent.

Overall, the resort is good, but do not expect great food as described in previous reviews.

To management: if a better effort to provide hot food at the buffet is made it would make a world of difference.

6  Thank Braden Q
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Dear Braden,

Please receive greetings from the Luxury Bahía Príncipe Sian Ka’an; we would like to thank you choosing us to spend your holidays.

We appreciate that you have taken the time to give us your feedback on as your comments are valuable to us in order to continuously improve our service and standards.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the facilities, beach and service. Thank you for bringing to our attention your perception about the food; however, you can rest assured that we will be giving this matter the proper attention in order to meet our valued standards again.

We would be delighted to welcome you again at the Riviera Maya!

Sending you my kindest regards,