“Not quite a 5 star resort as claimed...4.75 at best”

Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed July 7, 2013

No resort is perfect in every way, and that includes the Sian Kaan. We had a penthouse room. Only one air conditioner worked properly, the roof had a small leak, the restocking of the minibar was poor, and it could be furnished with a small dresser for socks, underwear and the like. Due to the sparse furnishings, there is a lack of sound absorbtion which is really noticeable when the music playing in the lobby resonates through the room. The maids were exceptional and made every attempt to clean the rooms early.
The buffet is very good with good variety. Breakfast tended to be repetitious, but lunch and diner were great. The two reservation restaurants were exceptional, and I personally loved the food at Alux the international gourmet restaurant. The lamb was perfect.
The bartenders were great, the drinks good and service was perfect.
The beach was nothing to write home about and we spent most of our down time by the pool.
I prefer the beach at the resort we are staying in. We had to be shuttled to and fro from the Kaan. As a matter of fact, waiting for shuttles was a big turn off. No matter which of the 5 Bahia resorts you stay at, there are shuttles to everywhere else.

Overall, we had a relaxing trip and we woulde recommend the resort to anyone. Personally, I will try somewhere else closer to the beach.

Room Tip: Ask for a room further away from the lobby.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear Donald,

Thank you for trusting in Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an and for choosing us to enjoy your holidays at the Mayan Riviera.

We appreciate so much that you have taken the time to write your feedback and review your recent stay with us. Our guest’s comments are vital for us to continue improving our services, and will certainly help us to keep focus on customer satisfaction.

We are happy to hear that you had a relaxing time and enjoyed the cleaning service, the buffet and the a la carte restaurants. Concerning your points of concern, please be assured that these topics have sent to the appropriate departments and managers, they take great consideration in ensuring that we continue to provide our guests the attention and services they deserve.

Best regards from the Mexican Caribbean!

Reviewed July 7, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a one-week stay at GBP Sian Ka'an. It was our fifth trip to the Mayan Riviera, and I must say it was the best. There were so many outstanding features to this resort, so let's put them into categories:
1. Setting: The resort is in the middle of a jungle setting, and it is part of a four-hotel complex spread out over a very wide area. It's simply beautiful, and all the grounds are very well-maintained and immaculate. I never saw any trash around anywhere. Staff was always cleaning and tidying up all the public areas.
2. Beach: Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. Crystal clear waters, very calm seas. If you want to go snorkeling, walk a minute or two down to the Akumal resort beachfront where it's like a bay. You will see all sorts of multicolored tropical fish darting around your feet. So nice. There is a bar steps away from the Sian Ka'an beach and several waitresses who will take your drink order from your beach chair. (Hats off to Martha from the Holbox bar.) If you are not a beach person, there are 3 pools at Sian Kaan and lots of them at the other resorts. The SK pools of course are quieter, since there are no kids splashing around.
3. Food: If you are a Sian Kaan guest, you have access to all the restaurants in the complex (lots of choices). Sian Kaan itself has two a la carte restaurants (Asian fusion and gourmet) with excellent service. Other good a la cartes are in the other hotels on the premises--the Gran Tortuga (Brazilian rodizio) and Tequila (Mexican) are notable.
The buffet at Sian Kaan is out of this world. They offer a huge selection. There is always a lot to choose from. The breakfast and lunch sessions never disappointed us in any way. Salads, freshly-grilled meats, pastas, pizzas, soups, eggs made to order, fruits, desserts....all wonderful.
Room: We had the standard room in building 5 (near the lobby and quiet pool.) The only criticism I have of the room is that the bathroom could have been bigger in terms of sink space and the closet space was a little lacking. Other than that, maid service kept the room clean, towels replaced every day, cute towel animals greeted us every afternoon upon our return from the beach. If you need anything, for example, a restocking of the minibar, a quick phone call will get it done for you.
Staff: The employees are the main asset of this hotel. Everywhere we went, we were greeted with a smile and a friendly "Hola Senor/Senorita, como esta?" While we were greeted courteously by all on the staff, there are a few notable folks who deserve special mention, namely: MIRIAM and HUGO in the buffet--what a wonderful team; they greeted us every day with a smile, conversation and a few laughs, all the while never missing a beat taking care of multiple tables and other guests. They were a highlight, and we looked forward to seeing them every morning and afternoon. Also, RICARDO, who drove the tram shuttles to the beach is another stand-out. What a lovely man, very hardworking and courteous. Other staff members with whom we had pleasant interactions were: ROQUE in the Alux restaurant, LEIDI at the lobby bar, VANESSA at the public relations desk, and CLAUDIA at the reception desk. The staff is an integral part of what makes this resort shine.
We do plan on returning to Mexico for our next vacation, and without a doubt we are going straight back to Sian Ka'an. Can't wait to go back.

1  Thank Dana_and_Eni

Dear Dana & Eni,

Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an has been honored to be your host on your recent stay; we would like to thank you for choosing us and for left a nice review of your experience with us on Trip Advisor.

We are flatter that you had a good time during your vacation in which you enjoyed the grounds, beach, pool, a la carte restaurants, buffet, cleanliness and the wonderful team, especially the mentioned ones.

Thank you for your suggestions about the room, unfortunately the design is minimal and the hotel had been built like that already.

Hopefully you give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the Riviera Maya,

Warm Regards,

Reviewed July 6, 2013

We just returned from a week at the GBP Sian Kaan and I have to agree with other reviewers...it's an excellent resort.

Although we were not greeted with waiting welcome drink ...someone came to bring us one within a minute of coming to the front desk. we were checked in very quickly and efficiently and went for a delicious lunch in the buffet before heading to our room. We walked to our room from the lobby and our luggage came shortly after we arrived in our room.
We had a JR. suite on 3rd floor and were in building 24, room 22... The rooms are very nice and spacious and more modern in decor. we found bed comfortable and I liked the large sitting area & being able to swivel the TV to watch from either the bed or sitting area. The closet area was large enough to accommodate the clothing we needed to hang and although there were 3 shelves for clothing, we really didnt use them. For some ppl, this may be inadequate amount of space for clothing but it worked for us.
The room comes with a free safe and an iron & ironing board. We appreciated the free safe and put that money toward tips.
The resort itself is small and easy to get around. The rooms are in 3-story buildings with 2 rooms on each floor. The rooms in the front face toward the pools which are the "centre" of the resort and the rooms at the back of the building seem to face the roads. It was an easy stroll from the lobby around the " loop" which make up the buildings.
I noticed that the vegetation at the front of the buildings is taller growth so your balcony view is obstructed overall but it also provides shade and privacy.
With all the lush vegetation comes Mosquitos!!! Make sure to bring bug spray, you will be on the "bug buffet".
As others have mentioned, the service, staff and food are the real stars of this resort. We were really impressed with the variety, quality and taste of the food in the buffet. We went to the Alux and enjoyed it as well, but because buffet was so enjoyable, we just kept going back. I'm not a fish/seafood lover but my husband is. Every lunch and supper so many choices of fish, shrimp, squid, clams, smoked salmon and even red and black clavier, he was in heaven.
Something else I really liked...we didnt have the usual worry about losing or having our beach towels lost or stolen. You pick up your beach towels at the pool any time and as often as you want...you don't have a towel card to worry about and you don't have to turn in a towel to get one. We often took clean beach towels to our room to use after our shower to get ready for supper. That way we still had clean dry towels for the morning.

So...what would be the downside of the Sian Kaan...well, it is smaller and quieter if you like the party atmosphere you may not enjoy this place although you can go to any of the other bahia resorts for that.
The resort is not on the beach, if this is important to you the GBP Tulum to Akumal would be better choice. They have excellent trolley system to get you to the beach...it goes directly there and takes about 10 minutes or so...sit back and enjoy your vacation and don't stress about the ride. Sometimes we would wait longer for the Sian Kaan trolley to come to the other resort lobbys but not from the beach area, I think the longest we waited was 15 minutes for the trolley when we were at Akumal lobby. The beach pickup was about 5 minutes on average.

The one downside for me is the distance from the Cancun airport..which was about 1 and 1/2 hour. It won't stop me from returning, it's just a longer ride to get to your destination...on the up side, it's closer to Akumal or Tulum if you plan to see the ruins, Xhel-Ha or go snorkelling at Akumal.

I would definitely return here again and highly recommend this resort.

Please don't hesitate to email me if you have any questions... But not last minute, as I don't check daily.

6  Thank turtleshell_10

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an to enjoy your holidays. We really appreciate you taking the time to send your detailed feedback about your stay with us at the Riviera Maya.

Our philosophy is focused on our guests’ satisfaction and your perception is very important to maintain the quality and good service. We are very happy to read that you had a wonderful vacation, in which you enjoyed the quick check in, beautiful rooms, great food and excellent tram service.

Thank you also for recommending us and for advice to all of our future guests. It will be wonderful to welcome you again.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed July 5, 2013

I must say that my family and I just returned from our first vacation as members of the Gran Bahia Principe privilege club. We stayed at the Sian Ka’an resort and we are happy to say that the staff was superb making us feel very welcome and relaxed, we really enjoyed our stayed. The tittle of this message is to override a previous review of this hotel that I wrote about 10 months ago. Although the service was good during my stay, I experience some difficulty when I tried to make reservations as a privilege club member. Now that we understand how the system works I can say that we are expecting to really enjoy this deal and travel to the Grand Bahia Punta Cana, in the Dominican Republic next time we take a vacation.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DlsZorro
PrivilegeClub, Manager at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear DlsZorro,

On behalf of the Bahia Principe Privilege Club we want to thank you for writing this review about your recent stay at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an.

We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed your vacations and that the staff provided you with superb assistance! It is encouraging to read about a change in your perception and that you are pleased with your Privilege Club Membership.

We hope in the future you continue to enjoy the perks of being a club member. If you need assistance in the future don't hesitate to contact us.

Sincere regards,

Stephany Tavarez
Customer Service
Bahia Principe Privilege Club

Reviewed July 5, 2013

This vacation review is BEYOND late, but needless to say i'm still writing it. We stayed the first week of February in 2013. We got to the hotel at about 6:00 PM. Music is playing the sweet smell of ocean air invited us, and then a tap on the shoulder and a waitress had two margaritas. Now this was the best start to my vacation. Check-in was a breeze, and thanks to Brisa for her help with my disability. She gave us a room on the ground floor that was quiet, and close to everything. The pool, the lobby, and the restaurants on site. We started our first night eating at Maiko. It was okay, not my favorite, but not the worst. I had the duck and it was very good, but the Sushi left something to be desired. Our room was delightful, pretty, modern, and CLEAN. The bathrooms are huge and I could take a shower 6 times a day if I knew it wasn't bad for the environment. We slept wonderfully. Was the bed our tempurpedic, no, it was not. It was actually quite firm, and for not firm sleepers you may not like your bed, or you might want to ask for maybe a mattress padder if available.

Next day, we spent by the pool. In the morning we had the most amazing breakfast (thank you to the wonderful omelette maker) I had a omelette everyday with some fruit. It was fantastic. I did miss her when I got home. So like I said, we spent it by the pool. Very relaxing, no kids, and in the shade from the hot weather by the palm trees. We had no problems getting drinks (as long as you tip well). We tipped on average pool day 5-6 dollars. I saw some tip 20+ but they were guzzling drinks. I wasn't there to not remember my trip so I had at the most for a 6 hour pool day, 3 alcohol drinks, and about 6 waters. There is a snack/lunch bar near the pool so no need to get dressed and go to the buffet. Just grab something there. We then left the pool, and got ready for dinner. I can't remember all the restaurants but this is what are days mostly were filled with.

During this time we did purchase the Bahia Principe Privilege Club.

We did spend about 3 hours negotiating a price, and then we felt comfortable paying that price we got up, shook hands, and then we popped champagne. So now have 15 weeks of platinum weeks, and 20 gold weeks. If someone bought and knows what that is or wants to know what that is please PM me, I would have no issue explaining everything. We never regretted buying this, and actually just booked our first trip as privilege members today. We are going to be staying at Tulum in October. See you then Tony "The Tiger". I will rewrite another review to let you know how fantastic being a privilege member is because I expect nothing less.

Thank you again Brisa!! YOU ARE AMAZING!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kierston C

Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing how your holidays on February was with us, I really appreciate you have taken the time to write about your experience at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an, for me and the rest of the staff, was a pleasure to assist you.

It is nice the room assigned for you met your expectations, and that for have enjoyed the food, drinks, pools, check in and service helped you to decide to be part of our Privilege Club. Also thank you for bringing to our attention your perception about the Maiko restaurant; we will be taking measures to improve it,

Looking forward to welcome you back on October,

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Having never been to Mexico before we didn't know what to expect, even though the Sian Kaan is a 5 star hotel. The Sian Kaan is Adults only. We booked a penthouse room which was a very good size for the three of us. The room had a partition that could be pulled across and separated the room,this was ideal for us because our 22 year old daughter was with us. There are stairs leading up to the balcony and the Jacuzzi. The room was more than adequate and met all of our needs. The bathroom was also fairly large and had everything you would expect. The towels were changed daily and the bed linen on a regular basis. The mini bar just had a basic amount of drink in it with 2 miniatures of spirit and a selection of carbonated drinks,also a bag of crisps. When you upgrade to certain rooms you are able to dine in the gourmet restaurants every night. The only problem with this is we arrived at about 18.39hrs and was unable to book as the restaurants at our hotel were full. We booked for the rest of our holiday but were unable to get the restaurants that we wanted at the time or day that suited us. The complex is very big because there is another three hotels there all being in the Bahia Principe group. The Coba.Tulum and Akamul. You are able to eat, drink and play at all four hotels being serviced by buggies. The Hotels are well covered by security and it is like being in a gated village. I must say that we felt very secure while we were there. There is an abundance of things to do throughout the day or night. I was lucky enough to play four round of golf on most certainly the best course I have ever played. The service was excellent and very friendly, but not overly so. The buffet breakfast and lunch was fantastic with a fabulous array of well prepared food displayed to a very good hygiene standard. The entertainment during the day (Mexican 4 man group) was very nice and they strolled from place to place playing local music. In the evening there was a very good group that played all types and genera. Every day at about 15.00 hrs there would be some dancers around the pool area, also a very good acrobat. This was a very good holiday for the three of us, our daughter especially enjoyed the nite club and met some very good people there. It did live up to its 5 star rating.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for trusting in Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an to spend your first Mexican holidays. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. We will share your comments with our team.

That you have enjoyed your room, the secure ambience, fantastic food, entertainment and the excellent service offered by our staff, serve us as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

We are sorry that you have experienced some dinner reservations issues; we are already taking measures to avoid futures inconveniences; thank you for your feedback.

We hope you and your family visit us on your next vacations,

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Had an amazing time at this hotel. We booked this hotel through Virgin Holidays, and were very pleased with the hotel. It is on the other side of the highway from the main Bahia Principe complex secluded in the jungle. The rooms are very nice with a separate living/dining/kitchen area.

Room Tip: This hotel is in a clearing in the jungle. The rooms which face the pool have less bugs! Although th...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

For the Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an is very rewarding to read that you had amazing holidays with us and that you enjoyed the facilities.

We appreciate that you have taken the time to give us your comments and post some pictures; as these are an incentive to advice all our future guests. It will be wonderful to welcome you again and give you the good service you already know.