“Relaxation in Paradise”

Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Relaxation in Paradise”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My sister and I visited the Sian Ka'an February 27th for 8 nights. Upon arrival the weather was changing and it was seasonably colder the first two days with off an on rain and windy but that did not spoil our wonderful stay at the Sian Ka'an. Everything was top notch.

Rooms:
My sister chose the Penthouse suite with Jacuzzi and I chose the Jr. Garden view Suite with Jacuzzi. We had emailed Claudia and Brisa with room requests and dinner reservations for the a la carte restaurants. All I can say is "WOW" our rooms were located in building 16 and 17 jungle side and we loved the location as it was quiet and serene. The rooms are beautiful and I loved the large windows and all the beautiful greenery. The patio is huge with a table and two chair and two lounge chairs. I never used the Jacuzzi but it was beautifully located amidst the beautiful trees and ferns. My sister's Penthouse had a huge terrace as well and an awesome room.
The bathroom was plenty big and we had enough storage. The bed was comfy too.

Restaurants:
Our dinner reservations were at Le Gourmet, Alux, Maiko, Don Pablo and Arlequin and the food was out of this world and the presentation of food and the restaurants were amazing. The service was amazing as well. Our breakfast was every morning at the Alux and we loved the coziness of this restaurant. Alejandro made wonderful omelettes and had this contagious smile. Jose, our waiter, was so attentive and as soon as we walked in he knew I liked a mimosa and espresso and my sister champagne and espresso. Everyone who we came in contact with was wonderful.

Bars:
We enjoyed the Lobby bar before and after our dinners and the drinks were delicious and again the service was wonderful. The Mayan coffee is delicious and seeing it being prepared was a wonderful show by itself. The waitresses at the beach was wonderful too.

Pools:
We used the Sian Ka'an pool by the Cenote bar. We loved our lunch at the Cenote and that is also where we would get our drinks from. A very nice pool to read a book and relax. We also spent a few hours by the sushi bar quite pool. Very nice as well. Sushi bar waiter was very nice (forgot his name).

Spa at Sian Ka'an:
I had a hair cut and Margarita did a wonderful job. It is a beautiful spa with friendly people.

Tao Wellness Center:
This place is magical and is situated in a beautiful surrounding just a few minutes from the resort. I so much enjoyed my 50 minute Holistic Bodywork & Aromatherapy and the people at the Tao are very friendly.

Guest services:
We arrived at 10PM and our check in was quick and we were greeted with a delicious margarita.
My sister had a persistent cough and our tour operator recommended a dark honey that the Mayans make. I asked Christian (I think that is his name) who speaks excellent English, at the front desk about this honey and he said it was hard to get but when he goes home he would try to get it for us. The next morning he calls me that he has a bottle of honey for us. Now that is what I call service and going the extra mile.

Shuttles:
Every shuttle we took to the beach, other resorts and luggage delivery/pick up were simply wonderful. The drivers we encountered were very friendly and one night one of them diverted from his route and took some of us straight to Sian Ka'an as it was very chilly that night and rainy. What wonderful service.

I have been to the Riviera Maya many times since the mid 90's and have stayed at various All Inclusive resorts and for me the Sian Ka'an is by far the best. My sister who eats at many upscale restaurants from NYC, Cannes, Amsterdam to name a few, was very impressed with the food.

The grounds:
Wow..the grounds are beautiful and we enjoyed our walks to and from the Lobby everyday. Such lush jungle.

Entertainment:
We never went to the other resorts. After dinner we danced to the wonderful band that performs out side the Lobby Bar. They were wonderful.

*We had one minor incident when the resort had a boiler issue and we were without hot water for 1 1/2 day. We were able to shower at the Tao Wellness Center so it was not really an inconvenience for me. It all worked out great and made you realize not to take hot water for granted :o)

I would like to thank Brisa and Claudia for their amazing customer service and being there for us when we needed some advice. See you in April when we are celebrating my 60th birthday and our 34th anniversary. I know my husband will love the Sian Ka'an.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 16 (14603) Jr. Garden suite with Jacuzzi..very private facing the Jungle and b...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Elschka
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your loyalty and for choosing Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an to spend you vacations at the Mexican Paradise, we are already looking forward to welcome you again in a month to celebrate your husband’s birthday.

I am very glad to hear from you again, I hope you and your sister had a great and safe flight back home. Thank you for such a remarkable comments about our service and facilities. This review will definitely inspire us to consistently deliver our standards ensuring that we meet and exceed our guests’ expectations.

Best Regards,

Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,754)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Here is how we experience this vacation:
From the cold; to a confining 5 hr flight; to the warm embrace of the Cancun breeze; an unwinding shuttle to Sian Kaan; a welcoming Margarita as you check in (STOP !!! PELIGRO no hotel voucher, passports, wallets, cash LEFT THEM IN MY KNAPSACK IN THE SHUTTLE).
In a panic, alerted the concierge and his comment was "relax, have a drink, sit anywhere comfy and we will have your bag to you in no time". Presto, there it was within a few minutes while sipping on my nice refresher; nothing amiss.
This was the indicator of exemplary service we experienced the rest of the week.

Amenities
- the room; ample space, most important invitingly clean and comfy bed
- the bathroom, clean with ready hot shower, cleaned, replenished and refreshed promptly
- a hut tub surrounded with ferns, bushes and tress for some additional privacy

The beach; where in this world can you take a few steps from your sun chaise and snorkel in refreshing clear water with various fish species? Here I have to mention "Leydi" who served the Sian Kaan guests with anticipatory enthusiasm; any refresher you asked you get promptly with a smile and a reminder to hydrate all day long as you wish; occasionally she added fruit kebobs or fresh coconut (usually on Mondays).

We then have to worry about where to go for lunch from the beach; toss a coin and voila, enjoyed them all. These were the toughest decisions we had to make.

People did complain about the 5 minute tram rides between the beach and the resorts; I look at this as a chance to digest my consumptions or a chance to absorb the recent experience.

After a good soaking of rays, we are again subjected to more choices back at the Sian Kaan of drinks and snacks; we often opted for champagne for continuity as we enjoy the bubblies while having a soak at our private hut tub resting from a hard days work and anticipating the delicacies of our selected a la carte dinner (imagine that, you can reserve these dinners for the rest of the week if one wishes).

After your dinner you can choose; to dance the night away till 2:00am, watch one of the many shows from the other resorts, walk the beach, just hangout or quietly spend the evening with your love one.

I came here to golf and did not. No regrets; just a good reason to come back and try again.

Kudos to all the Sian Kaan staff. See you soon.

11 Thank GuillermoGuevara
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your trust and for reviewing your recent stay at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an.

We really appreciate you mentioned the areas that you enjoyed more, as the room, beach, food, shows and the excellent service of our staff, especially for mentioning Leydi; we will forward your comments to her and the rest of our staff.

Thank you for staying with us; hoping to have the opportunity to be your host again in the near future,

Receive our warmest regards,

Mississauga, ON
Reviewed March 13, 2013

My partner and I were at the Luxury Bahia March 3-10th and absolutely enjoyed the entire vacation.

Before departing I read about the no hot water and was a bit concerned. A couple of years ago I froze at Sandals Cuba. AND this trip we had a jacuzzi ground floor suite booked! No problemo though - while I don't think we had hot water the first night it was not ocean floor cold and after that all was fine.

Don't leave this hotel for food - the other Bahia's only seem mediocre in comparison. Definitely grab breakfast one morning at Alux. It does not appear to always be open for buffet breakfast, but it is a great a la carte atmosphere.

We did not book prebook dinner reservations and we did not have any issues making any upon arrival.

The beach....ahhh....we can stay in Canada at a hotel with a pool - isn't this why we all go south? While it is not miles long, it is a nice stroll in both directions and you can grab a cocktail along the way (as most of the beach property is Bahia)!

And then there was Martha at the beach. What a great lady. What a tough job. But she was always smiling, offering peanuts and drinks in "one moment". Kudo's Martha!

5 Thank Rae K
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an staff, especially on behalf of Martha; we would like to thank you for trusting in our hotel as well as in the reviews of our past guests.

Looking forward to host you during your future vacations,

Canada
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Well if you have the oppurtunity to visit Si an Kian then do so. Just a quick note to say that the staff are so helpful, friendly and just go the extra mile to make your vacation that much better. I wanted to put a special thank - you out to our awsome bar tender at the Sushi Bar ( Lucio ) on March 13, 2013 was our last official day of relaxing and he went out of his way to make my wife and I's last day great, always checking if we needed another drink or anything, spoke of some of the culture which was intersting and educating. Again thanks to all the staff who made my decesion for booking here next year a no brainer...... ( AWSOME !!!! )

Room Tip: All are great, I stayed in the penthouse and loved the hot tub at the end of the day to unwind !
2 Thank josh H
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an to enjoy your holidays. We really appreciate you taking the time to send some valuable comments about your stay at our resort especially for mentioning Lucio and his great service; he is great ambassador of the service we provide; we will immediately forward your post to his correspondent manager for his well-deserved recognition.

Receive our warmest regards,

kingston
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed at Sian Ka'an from February 25 until March 11 and enjoyed both the resort and the people. Our arrival at the hotel was smooth as we had booked private transport with Canada Transfers. Our situation is a bit unusual as I am a paraplegic and need to use a wheelchair. We booked a wheelchair accessible room, but they could not guarantee there would be one available.
When we got there there was not a room available so Brisa Islas, Public Relations, looked after us by showing us 2 different rooms that we could choose from to see which would be most comfortable with the wheelchair. The accessible room would be available in 2 days if we wanted to move into it then. We ended up in a beautiful ground floor suite with a jacuzzi off the patio, which my wife was able to enjoy, and the room and bathroom was large enough to accommodate
my needs. Though there was a lip to get over to get in the shower there was enough room to get my chair in so I could transfer onto a shower stool that they provided. Brisas had the maintenance people build a ramp so I could get up the one step to our door, they did an excellent job.
We adjusted to the room and decided to stay there for the remainder of our vacation. Christopher cleaned our room daily and was amazing! Our fridge was stocked daily though sometimes the liqueur was forgotten. We enjoyed all of the al a Cartes that we had booked previous to our trip through Brisas, and it was her that met us upon our arrival and explained all about the place.
The gala dinner at the buffet on Saturday evenings were awesome, all the lobster tails you could eat and melted butter!
We enjoyed the beach and the trolley drivers were all amazing, they had no hesitation helping my wife lift me and my chair onto the wider spot on the trolley. Though the trolley ride was only about 5 minutes to the beach and other hotels, it was a very accessible walk over to the beach and we enjoyed the exercise.
The place was beautiful though the weather was not always sunny, with a few cloudy days and some showers, we found the nights cool, needing a sweatshirt for the trolley rides.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank kustersa
Dear Mr. Kusters,

It was my pleasure to have attended you before and during your stay and a real pleasure to meet you; thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding how your experience at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an was.

We are honored that you have chosen our hotel as your holiday destination and will be looking forward to welcoming you back again.

Warm regards from the Mexican Paradise,

Kerrville, Texas
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Just returned from here on March 4th, 2013. Had an absolutely wonderful week. We had stayed at this resort a year ago and it was even better this time. Staff is friendly and eager to help make your stay perfect. Whole resort is super clean and well maintained. Our room was cleaned every a.m. as soon as we would put out the sign. For us, there was plenty of space for our clothes and the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was a nice size. Wide variety of food in main buffet and there wasn't much that we didn't try I must confess. Ha Bar drinks were good, I drink Crown and they only had it at the lobby bar but that was not a problem, I just got enough for a couple of drinks and took it to the pool and had my drinks made there. Plenty of pool towels and loungers. We only went over to the other sister hotels one day to walk around but couldn't wait to get back to the Sian Kaan to relax. The other hotels are more people and more of a hussle-bussle type and the Sian Kaan is easy going. Everyone we met was having a good time and we did meet a lot of people and enjoyed our visits. I am sure that there are some people that may have issues here but I can't imagine why... We have been coming to Mexico for 20+ years and on average 4 times a year so we have a pretty good knowledge of what to expect and this resort is wonderful. This would be in our top resorts to recommend to others.

Room Tip: We wanted a room on the ground floor as oppose to walking up and down steps. Sometimes a ground flo...
3 Thank cinnamon21
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an on Tripadvisor, your comments help us to maintain our high standards.

We are very pleased that you enjoyed the resort and would recommend it to others. It is great to hear that you considered our hotel in your top resorts and while you were here that you enjoyed the food, clean room, drinks and friendliness of our staff.

We would be delighted to welcome you again at the Riviera Maya!

Best Regards,
Luxury Bahía Príncipe Sian Ka’an
St. Albert, Canada
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We have stayed at Bahia Principes in Dominican R. and Mexico on several occasions and this was one of the two best by far.Sian Ka'an is unique in that was carved right out of the jungle , leaving as much of the natural vegetation in tack as possible. We had a "Junior Superior Garden" suite which is on the ground level. It had a beautiful private patio and each has its' own outdoor jacuzzi tub surrounded by small palm trees for privacy. If you can get "Junior Superior Penthouse" suite (third floor) with a rooftop jacuzzi,it would be fantastic as long as you dont mind the two flights of stairs. Middle floor is called a "Junior Superior" , But do not get just a "Junior Suite". They are just too small. Thanks to the Staff at the BP Priviledge Club for helping fix a mixup on our early arrival and for taking fantastic care of us for our entire stay. Thank You, Miluska, Karla, Armando, and the Mgr. Ana. They took care of every thing for us including private transportation from and to the airport.This was much better than riding on a "milk run" bus ride. The Food ; Sian Ka'an is definately the best food we have ever enjoyed at any BP resort. The Buffet is better than most other resort A La Carte restaurants! In fact after two painfully slow service experiences at Akumal & Tulum we cancelled the other resort A La Cartes and ate only at Sian Ka'an A La Cartes (Alux & Maiko) and had great evening diners at the main buffet too.We especially enjoyed a quiet breakfast at Alux most days, It was right beside our building ,and in fact most of the buildings are so much closer to the lobby and main buffet that it feels more comfy. Beautiful modern rooms , wifi, great showers (no tub except jacuzzi) two remotes for A/C and firm king size beds.Both Sian Ka'an and the Priviledge Club has their own private beaches, 5-10 minutes away with good service for drinks and rides right to the beach.. We spent most of or time around the large quieter pools at SK but watched a lot of the fun activities around the "fun pool" Great activities staff. Hotel staff were excellent and always had a smile and an "Ola" for us. We Loved the golf and never saw anyone else on the tricky Executive nine course. A bit expensive. You have to visit the "Tao Centre" and do the Temezcal Ceremony (sweat lodge) . A truly rewarding experience . The Tao centre has a full gym and two outdoor swimming lanes for guest to use. Very quiet over there with full showers , lockers , snack bar and only a five minute ride. We will definately go back to Sian Ka'an.

Room Tip: If you plan on using the jacuzzi a lot, then ask for a more private jacuzzi location . Make sure you...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mike M
PrivilegeClub, Manager at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Mike M,

On behalf of Bahia Principe Privilege Club, we are so thrilled that The Privilege Club staff was able to assist you in order to have a special Vacation at the Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka´an. We pride ourselves in providing excellent customer service to our members and are always willing to assist our guests' needs. We wanted to take the time out to thank you for writing such a wonderful post about your experience at the resort, you can be sure we will forward your comments to the Privilege Concierge team and the rest of our colleagues at Mexico.

We hope to have you back soon to continue enjoying the wonderful food, the thin-grained sand of the Privilege beach and the relaxing treatments of the Tao Centre as well as all the other benefits of being a Privilege Club member. Should you have any additional questions regarding the Privilege Club membership, please feel free to email us at customerservice@bppclub.co0m

Kind regards,

Adriana Toledo
Customer Service Manager
Bahía Príncipe Privilege Club
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!