“Good time for the price we paid”

Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
New Jersey
“Good time for the price we paid”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Vacation..stayed Feb 28 - March 7.. Check in was quick & efficient. Our room was in building 15 on the third floor. Our room had a comfy king size bed. Bathroom had large shower & single sink but the way the door opened it was hard to have 2 people in the bathroom at once. TV did not have VCR and you couldn't rent movies either. 2 1/2 days we went without HOT water.
Pools...water was cool in all the pools and the jacuzzis. Most days we couldn't get a lounge chair by the pools or on the beach. People would place their towels on them early in the morning. Beach was beautiful, Sian Ka'an part of beach was crowded. We had to lay towels on sand ceause chairs were taken.
Food..This is where the resort fell short for us. Buffets were the the same exact food & placement for breakfast & lunch everyday. Tried many restaurants..Japanese & gourmet were the only ones we enjoyed. There is a very short room service menu in which we did not use.
Bars...had a few drinks that were good, we prefer coffee & used the coffee bar often...enjoyed it!
Transportation..the shuttles did run often but many times were not going to Sian Ka'an.
Overall the resort was average for us, glad we paid what we did. Definitely NOT a 6 Golen Apple in my opinion. Have stayed at Dreams, Palladiums, Iberostars, Secrets and Grand Sirenis...etc so we are frequent travelers to MX.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you during your recent vacation at the Riviera Maya.

The Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an resort really appreciate the time you have taken to write your feedback about your stay with us and for mentioning all the good points you experienced, as the room, beach, our a la carte restaurants and coffee.

We apologize for the areas where we did not met your expectations; we already forwarded your feedback to the in charges of each department involved to make sure we improve them.

Once again thank you for your valuables comments, hoping we will have another opportunity to host you here.

Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,758)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Tecumseh, Canada
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Waiting at the airport ready to go home after a great vacation at the gran Bahia Principe Sian Ka`an. I thought I would give a report of the good and the bad. There is plenty of greats things to report on and only two very annoying issues that I can touch on. First off the Sian Ka`an is the smaller of the Bahia resorts and higher rated much more suited to our enjoyment. The managers of the resort are very visible and ensure the all guests are being looked after properly, I have not ever seen managers so active on the floor than at this resort ,they did a great job and should be commended on their efforts. The buffet restaurant is one of the best you can expect to go to. We went for lunch at the Akumal and the Tulum buffet restaurants although they are huge, they do not offer better quality than the Sian Ka`an .Although we did not eat dinner most evening at the buffets you could not go wrong if you did ,Saturdays they have lobster tails ,another day they had a good selection of Chinese food with the most delicious Peking duck. But we went to the A LA chart the Japanese at our resort twice the Alex twice ( one small annoyance at the Alex was that I was told that I could only order 2 out of the first 3 items on the menu of an appetizer, a soup and a salad , it was ridiculous, my wife hates when I make a fuss about it).The porto fino (Italian) and the seafood at the Akumal they were all good. After the seafood we enjoyed a portion of the show (typical Michael Jackson), this is a huge theatre .Getting around the resort using the shuttle was never a problem and actually a great way to experience all the other facilities and beaches. Now let me point out the two problems the resort claims you have FREE internet (wifi) that implies that you have internet they have unbelievable problems with their hardware and internet provider if you are lucky to get a connection for a short period of time rejoice it will not last. Enough to say they should give me a resort voucher for this ridicules lack of service. The other problem is something that should never ever happen .The lighting in the bathroom had 2 lights out making my wife’s makeup operation impossible, I personally went to the front desk,public relations desk) and and phoned the problem correction phone number (hot line ,thats a joke) 3 times,over the next 3 days to get a light replaced .I am a maintenance type of guy, so they need simply to log the problem with the time recorded and then have the worker sign off when it is done with the time. Simple and accountable.
That is getting it off my chest The vacation was one of the best values out their and if it is close to the same price point I will be back with hopes that the time on the resort is smoother. In closing the Cancun airport coming in was understaffed they had too few immigration personnel and a disaster ,where to complain about that.

Room Tip: pay an extra 40-50 dollars for the suit
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Don P
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an would like to thank you for your great review about your stay at our property.

We would like to thank you for your positive comments and feedback on our service, food, Internet service and a la carte restaurants. We apologize if the some of the points you mentioned caused inconveniences during your stay; I already passed them to the concern and actions will be taken to avoid any further similar situation.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and we are looking forward in welcoming you back at the Riviera Maya.

Best Regards,

Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed at the Sian Ka'an from Feb 10-17, 2013. We are ordinary people who value a clean room and good food as priorities. This resort met our approval. I didn't want to leave after 7 days.

Although the beach is alttle rocky, it was perfect for the beginner snorkeler. We walked down to the Akumal resort and there is a small shallow area there. I saw at least 11 different kinds of fish. I thought this was great for just being on the resort beach. I brought my own snorkel equipment so I could enjoy it at leisure. I also took the bus to the town of Akumal to go to the public beach. I had the privilege of swimming with sea turtles. There is no need to sign up for a tour for this. They do have snorkeling equipment for rent if you don't have your own stuff. The bus cost $3 per way. I also went to a place to snorkel in a lagoon. I took a taxi. it was $20 per way and the taxi waited several hours while I snorkeled. This lagoon was a few miles past Akumal. It took longer to get there because the road was bumpy and you can't drive fast.

My husband golfed x 2. He thought the course was challenging but very nice. He had a great time. Although the cart fees are expensive, it is worth paying for this calibre of course. You only live once. The green fees were included with the all inclusive.

The food was very good. When we arrived we immediately booked 4 a' la cartes with no problems. We booked the junior suite deluxe. Our suite was comfortable and very clean. Our only complaint would be the short bed. My husband is 6'4, so it didn't seem like a full king bed.

The drinks were all premium brands and a huge assortment. The grounds were beautiful and lush. The pool areas look just like they do in the brochure. I didn't sit by the pool as I am a beach person. The sun is very hot. I sat in the shade with 30 sunscreen and still managed to get burned.

At night we took in the shows at the sister resorts. We got use to taking the trams. It felt like we were going out even though we technically didn't leave the resort. Things were quiet at all the resorts once 11:00pm hit. If you wanted more nightlife, you could go to the Hacienda.

We did the Tulum ruins. It was very hot that day so we couldn't wait to get to Paradise Beach to hang for the day. We took the public bus there and a taxi back.

I was very impressed by the secuirty at this resort. I always felt safe and didn't have the stress of being bothered. No hassels. We stayed clear of the time share people.

I had a wonderful vacation. I hope to get back again some day. We took $ to tip throughout the trip. The wonderful staff all work so hard, so we didn't mind tipping what we could afford.

It turns out that us ordinary people kind of enjoyed the luxurious treatment offered at the Sian Ka'an.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sue K
Dear Guest,

To read that you had a terrific time at our hotel, Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an flatter us and make us feel honored. Thank you for you good comments regarding our good food, clean rooms, beautiful gardens, challenging Golf course, good security and workers.

Thank again for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Kind Regards,

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Just got back from the Sian Ka'an. I stayed in a Garden Suite on the 1st floor. It was big and comfortable. The tub outside is more of bathtub with jets rather than a real hot tub. I can't really say enough good things about the staff - they were all fantastic all the time. The food was really good throughout. I ate at all three restaurants on the property plus a couple of restaurants at the larger, more active, sister resorts across the road. Loved it and will probably be back.

Room Tip: I stayed in Building 5 which was really near to a quiet pool and the lobby - exactly what I wanted...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an to enjoy your holidays at the Mayan Riviera.

We appreciate so much that you have taken the time to write your positive comments concerning your recent with us. Our guest’s comments are vital for us to continue improving our services, and will certainly help us to keep focus on customer satisfaction.

We are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again at the Mexican Caribbean!

Warm regards,

Hagerstown, Maryland
Reviewed March 7, 2013

This visit was Feb 24 - Mar 3, 2013 - almost a year since my last visit and review in April. They are still in the midst of rebranding it "Luxury." Most everything was the same, with a few exceptions.

The biggest problem we encountered this time was a hot water tank issue. Front Desk personnel repeatedly told us it would be repaired in "1 hour." It took 3 or 4 days to get it fixed in our building. Not what you'd expect for a Luxury resort.

This time the resort was VERY crowded, which made it difficult to find beach and pool chairs. People just leave their towels which makes it difficult to know which chairs are occupied. A basket placed at the beach and pool encouraging guests to "discard used towels" might help.

The best restaurants for me were Alux, Le Gourmet and Maiko. Biggest disappointment was Mediteraneo.

The lobby bar in the evening was very crowded as well, especially when the weather got rainy and cold. The servers in the restaurants and bars were REALLY busy trying to keep up with all the guests needs. We always tip well and our servers would look for us each day, knowing what we liked to drink and anticipating our needs.

The shuttles around the resort were crowded, and while on our last visit they catered to the Sian Ka'an guests, this time they seemed to have fewer direct shuttles and longer wait times, especially in the evening. A few bench seats would help the wait.

Room Tip: Ground Floor Jacuzzi Suites do not have much privacy.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Vacation-Loca
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for visiting Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an again and for making us participant of your recent experience with us with your feedback on Trip Advisor as your comments are valuable to us in order to continuously improve our service and standards.

Thank you for bringing to our attention your perception about the shuttle service and the lounge chairs by the pool and beach; we regret very much that we could not impress you as last year. Rest assured that we will be giving this matter the proper action. The management and staff extend our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences which you may have experienced as a result of the situations you have brought to our attention.

Do not hesitate to contact us if your future plans lead you back to the Mexican Caribbean,

Sending you my kindest regards,

Melfort, Canada
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Truly enjoyed our week at this resort! The buffet was amazing with fantastic variety. Saturday night lobster was outstanding! Wasn't a big fan of the a'la cartes but service was great and a good reason to get dressed up ! Snack bar was nice for night time. And free room service which we didn't utilize!
We had a couple good days at the beach- windy but fun. One day we lucked out with chairs at the private section and on another we were in the Akumal beach area where we enjoyed the water arobics. We had lots of fun at the activity pool also- met some great people. Basketball, bingo, ping pong, great music and staff there!
Staff were all eager to please everywhere!! The sweetest lady greets you at the buffet with the most awesome smile! She remembered my daughter's name and greeted her personally! My son-in-law golfed twice and said it was the best and most challenging golf course he's seen.
Our room was great and king-sized bed very comfy. We left before the water issue!
My only suggestion is that we so would have enjoyed 2 chairs on our balcony (2nd floor don't have them- not sure why??) What else is a balcony for besides sitting out there?! More variety for evening entertainment perhaps, also.
Overall, a fantastic vacation at this lovely resort. Thanks to all staff and the super people we met! Would recommend this hotel!
We took the tram to the highway then a white van ("bus") to Akumal for 30 pesos each. Lovely beach lots of people and snorkling. Had a few beer at a lively little bar then bussed it to Aventuras which has lots of shops and Marina- no beach that we saw.
Lynda

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Linda,

We truly appreciate your review about your recent stay at the Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an, and we would like to thank you for choosing us. The comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are very important to maintain the quality at our resort.

To read that you had a fantastic vacation in which you enjoyed the amazing buffet, the beach, the room, the Golf Course, visiting the area and the service of our staff, especially from the hostess in the buffet.

Regarding the chairs at the balcony, we do not have chairs in all of them because of the hotel design; however I have sent your suggestions about it and the nightly entertainment to the Management so they can take measures to make our guest more comfortable their stay.

We will be delighted to welcome you in the near future,

Warm Regards,

Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

This was a great resort . We had researched this place for a good while, so we were prepared for not being on the beach. Seems that is most everyones biggest complaint. We had a garden view suite and were very happy with the location, not very private, but the room was spacious and that made it more comfortable. Food was very good, drinks were good. I do wish there was another beer available, but xx is good enough. I want to say thank you to Vanessa! She took care of all of our requests once we arrived. In fact my fiancee ended up breaking out in hives one day, and Vanessa went out of her way to make sure everything was ok, even though it wasn't a serious illness, she took an interest in our well being and that will always be remembered! We look forward to our return trip, hopefully sooner rather than later.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank wolfmanjtg
Dear Guest,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your review of your recent stay at our hotel facility.

We are glad to hear you had a nice holiday with us and that you enjoyed the room, food, drinks and the great service of Vanessa. We will forward your comments to her, who will be very proud of it.

Looking forward to welcoming you back again,

Kind Regards

Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!