My husband and I stayed 4 nights at this hotel beginning February 20th.
We have been to the Cancun area many times, staying at Secrets The Vine, Hotel Villa Rolandi, the Westin to mention a few. This was our least enjoyable trip to Cancun.
We decided on the Sian Ka’an based on all the wonderful reviews on TA when we were trying to make our plans.
Check-in was ok, but I did feel this was the first resort we’ve stay at in Mexico where I felt a communication problem with the front desk. But I’m visiting Mexico, so I should learn Spanish, I suppose.
I made reservations for the Alux for our first night before we arrived. That evening I tried to make reservations for the other 3 nights and the only times available for the next evening were 5PM or 9:30. We did make reservations at the Maiko restaurant for 8:30 on Friday evening. The reviews I read mentioned making reservations before you arrive, but unless you want to be stuck hopping up and down going to a buffet, make them before you go. My husband and I realized that this really added a negative aspect to our trip having to eat at the buffet for the dinner meal. We enjoy the special time together that a served meal offers and really did not enjoy the experience of a buffet evening meal. Also, the two restaurants had few tables and would accommodate a very limited number of guests, as exhibited by their few reservation slots.
One lunch there was a wonderful outdoor barbecue but it turned out to be one of our most uncomfortable meals. There, again, was a shortage of seats and they put us at a table with a couple already eating. My first greeting was met with a Spanish reply and therefore we could not communicate with the couple at all. We just ate and occasionally smiled at each other the whole meal.
We upgraded our room to a garden view suite because of the Jacuzzi. This turned out NOT to be a real bonus. My husband usually enjoys the Jacuzzi, but this one was full of leaves on our arrival and he had to call the front desk to clean it out. He was able to use it the next morning but that evening the jets would not work. He called about that also, but, finally, just gave up on it. I think if you want to use the Jacuzzi, you should opt for the 3rd floor, because this is a bathtub (not a hot tub) and may have been more enjoyable using it as such, rather than wearing a suit. You could not have privacy on the bottom level to enjoy it with two rooms above us in view of the tub (there is also a path behind the very back units that the staff continually uses).
Now for the beach. We knew going in that this resort was not ocean front. The reviews we read said it was wonderful and the short ride was not a problem. Well, the ride was short; but again there was a shortage of chairs. The beach was rocky and reef covered in lots of places. Also, the view of the huge sand bags was terrible. However, the bar service at the beach was outstanding.
The times we decided to try the pools the chairs were occupied or empty chairs had towels on them. There were not enough chairs around the pools, in our opinion. We ended up staying on our patio a couple afternoons.
Overall, this resort did not meet our expectations. The room was ok, but the air conditioning was hard to regulate; there was also an unpleasant odor in the room unless you kept the AC on. I noticed some reviewers mentioned turn-down service. We never experienced this and the first day our room was not cleaned until after 3:30.
Needless to say, we will choose a different resort on our return to this area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 4 outdoor pools (1 with Jacuzzi) Sun terrace with loungers and sun umbrellas BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Transfer to the beach and other facilities on the complex (at set times) Water activity centre, Beach Club with exclusive bar (at the Grand Principe Tulum) Motorised water sports (additional charge) WiFi access in the lobby and in rooms (free of charge) 1 international buffet restaurant 2 speciality restaurants 4 Bars 1 snack-bar Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest. Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco. Rooms 420 rooms including 4 types: Junior Suite, Deluxe Junior Suite, Deluxe Garden Junior Suite, Deluxe Penthouse Junior Suite. Deluxe Garden Junior Suites and Deluxe Penthouse Junior Suites are larger than the Junior Suites and the Deluxe Junior Suites. Room facilities: King size bed or 2 full size beds Air conditioning Ceiling fan Direct phone line (additional charge for external calls) Sitting area with sofa-bed and armchairs Balcony or terrace Bathroom with shower, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Bathroom amenities Bathrobe and slippers Don Pablo Collection amenities Alarm clock with iPod docking station Flat screen TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe Iron and ironing board 24 hour room service Butler service in rooms Private Jacuzzi Wifi (free of charge) Pillow menu Aroma menu Other services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings and anniversaries, as well as corporate incentive trips and conventions Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with KIPPIN S.A Lussemburgo Cadempino Branch, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, getaroom.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Sian Ka`An Golf Resort And Spa
- Gran Bahia Principe Sian Ka`An Golf Hotel Akumal
- Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'An Don Pablo Collection Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico