“Sian ka'an”

Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Gran Bahia Principe Sian ka’an for a week at the end of January through Air Transat. This was our second stay at this resort. We were met by Brisa with a smile when
we checked in and she confirmed our dinning reservations that we had requested by email.

We booked a ground floor Jacuzzi room and it was fantastic. The room was huge with a nice king size bed with a seating and dining area. The bar fridge was filled with pop, water, beer and mini bottles of alcohol which was restocked daily. The bathroom was roomy with a large shower. We used the Jacuzzi about four times during our stay and found it very private since it is surrounded by vegetation.

The food at the resort is excellent. You have access to the two al a carte restaurants at Sian Ka’an as well as all the other al a carte restaurants at Tulum, Akumal and Coba. Our favourites are Alux, Miako, Le Gourmet, Arlequin and Don Pablo. Make sure you check out the buffet on Saturday night as it is the Gala seafood night.

The tram rides to the other lobbies and the beach come every 5 to 15 minutes, although depending on the time of day you can wait longer. The trip to the beach was under ten minutes. The beach area is ok and they spend a lot of effort keeping it clean.

The shows at night were entertaining as were the live band playing at the Hacienda. Also don’t forget to check out all the shops at the Hacienda during the day. The prices are comparable to the shops in Playa Del Carmen. Never tried the spa, but I talked with a couple who did and they really enjoyed it.

Special thanks to Mauricio and May May for keeping the room immaculate. My wife also really appreciated the fun towel art designs every day. All the staff worked hard and were always extremely friendly. Oscar and his two amigos from the entertainment crew, Alejandro and Eduardo, were very good at keeping everyone who wanted to join in entertained. In the day they had beach or pool games and at night they played games like blackjack or poker. Also I can’t forget Jesus at the pool bar or Leidy and Mary at the beach bar.

Overall we had an excellent vacation and will probably go back again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Karen M
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear Guest,

It is really nice to hear from you again, for theLuxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an team it was a pleasure to serve and entertain you during your recent stay with us. We appreciate you have taken time to review it.

Thank you for mentioning who made your stay memorable and for point the things you enjoyed more; be sure we will pass your comments to our team.

Do not hesitate to contact us again when your future plans lead you back to the Mexican Paradise,

Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an

Write a ReviewReviews (7,723)

Reviewed February 16, 2013

This was my first trip to Mexico, and also my first trip to an all-inclusive resort that was adults-only...it was fantastic! I have been to other all-inclusives before, but all with my whole family, so on this trip my new husband and I really wanted to make the most of our "us time". We travelled over the Christmas holiday in 2012, so we knew things anywhere that were not adults-only would be very packed with children and their families for the winter break, and being a teacher, those were not really the types of vacations we were looking for. We were so pleased with the Sian Ka'an, it was an excellent choice for our needs.

First of all, if I had any negative comments to make they would be that:
(1) The beach (even the Sian Ka'an private section) was a little rocky on one side, but my husband and I both brought our waterproof Keens for other tours, so after our first time at the beach, we made sure to bring those and we were just fine!
(2) We were told by someone we know who owns a unit at Sian Ka'an to bring our marriage certificate to prove to the staff that we were on our honeymoon because they usually do a little something for those guests, but when we arrived and asked if there were any perks for being honeymooners, we were told quite curtly that that didn't mean anything...this didn't affect the rest of our stay at all, but it would have been nice to have some sort of recognition for this.

As for everything else...
We stayed in a Junior Suite, which was more than adequate and it was always kept very clean by the housekeeping staff. We really enjoyed the towel creatures left on the bed daily :) We loved that Sian Ka'an (versus the other sister GBP resorts in the Mayan) had free wi-fi in all the rooms and a free safe in each room. We were in villa 15B, which was a great location to everything on the resort grounds. Also, as a completely random comment, if you can't sleep late at night, Mexican TV shows great movies!

The food was phenomenal! The Sian Ka'an buffet is definitely superior to the buffets at the other restaurants, and the special Christmas Eve buffet was amazing...they even gave everyone a small gift to celebrate the occasion! Our favourite a la carte restaurants were Alux, Le Gourmet, Mikado, Don Pablo, and Arlequin...we really disliked the Italian restaurant (and were told the other was just as bad by other people at our resort), so I would suggest that you steer clear of that one, especially given the vast selection of Italian food on all of the buffets! The snack bar was also a good option for lunch or munchies...I recommend ordering the pizza and the nachos with guacamole, pico di gallo, and queso, rather than the cheese sauce...it was exceptionally yummy (especially after a late night if you have visited the disco!).

The pools were great, though the one by Alux filled up very quickly every day, so if that is the location you prefer, you will want to get there early during busy weeks. We didn't actually make it to hang out at the pool by the sushi bar, but heard it was fabulous...we spent much more time at the beach!

My husband was disappointed at first that our resort was not directly on the beach (I did the booking and apparently forgot to tell him...oops!), however, once we were at the resort we both realized how fantastic the shuttles were, and that getting to the beach (as well as the other resorts and L'Hacienda) was very easy (at most a 5 minute ride away). The beach itself, though somewhat rocky, always had chairs available, but they were not always the closest to the ocean if we didn't wake up early enough! Jesus at the beach bar was incredibly friendly and poured great drinks (not watered down as we experienced at the bars at some of the other sister resorts).

Lastly...this may seem like a small thing, but there was no sign-out process for or limit to the number of beach/pool towels we used. This was exceptionally convenient as we took a couple of day tours that we needed to bring towels to (Akumal public beach via the collectivo to snorkel with the sea turtles-cheap and so worth it!, and LabnaHa to tour the cenotes-totally amazing experience and less tourist-y than XelHa as we were only on the tour with one other couple!) and we were told to "take as many as you need" by the staff at the pool bar.

We will definitely return to the Sian Ka'an in the future, and have already recommended it to many friends and family members.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Rachel_J28

Dear Guest,

Thank you for visiting Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an the past December to celebrate Christmas Eve and for the time you took to post your experience.

We feel honored for been chosen as your honeymoon destination at the Riviera Maya and it is grateful to read such a nice review of this. We apologize we could not offer you our honeymoon gift for your new marriage while you were staying with us: we are taking the necessary measures to assure that our honeymooners are good recognized.

We hope we can host you on your future vacations,

Bria Islas

Reviewed February 15, 2013

This was my first (ever) trip to Mexico and I am so glad that we chose this resort!! My boyfriend and I stayed for 6 days - February 9-14th 2013.
Depending on your transportation service, it's not too far from the Cancun Airport. It was about an hour and a half drive for us in our van (made 2 stops at other resorts)
Ultimately we chose this resort because we wanted an Adults-Only experience. I did see two younger looking boys during my stay, but I believe they were both over 18 and they did not negatively effect our experience in any way.
At first, I was a little put-off by not staying right next to the beach (it's about an 8-min ride from the hotel to the beach), but it ended up working out nicely. They offer a large golf-cart for transportation to and from the beach/resort - they stated it would come every 15 minutes, but it came more often than that, we never had to wait longer than 5 minutes. Our room alone was fantastic -- if you stay here I DO recommend staying in the penthouse rooms -- they offer a large living area with stairs to a rooftop balcony, complete with lounge chairs, a large hot tub, & 180 degree views (we were lucky enough to be able to see the ocean). The king-size beds were really comfortable, I slept great. We also had large windows in the living area and bedroom area that opened to the great outdoors with railings on them so you could walk right up and lean out. Not to mention, the rooms also came with a stocked mini-fridge, robes & slippers and fun towel formations everyday (swans, etc.) P.S. our closet was plenty big for the two of us.
The lobby buffet was enormous and offered a range of foods for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We also made reservations for the 'A La Carte' dinner restaurants for every night of our stay - we wanted to take full advantage! My favorites were Tequila (fun Mexican) & Alux (fancy Gourmet). Room service was completely free & included with our stay.
As for the beach - it was gorgeous. Sian Ka'an guests got to sit at an "exclusive beach" complete with their own bar, waitresses, towels and lounge chairs. It's really nice to have towels available at the beach so that you don't have to bring them with you anywhere else. The private beach is right next to the scuba/snorkel/kayaking shop, which provided great access if you wanted to do any of those activities. The Sian Ka'an Entertainment Crew were also really good about getting optional beach games going and keeping guests entertained and happy during their time there. One of my favorite things of the trip was the live singing in the Sian Ka'an Lobby every evening, followed by the Entertainment staff getting people up dancing to fun songs.
The One & Only Con for us: the Wi-Fi was not great, they DID offer completely free wi-fi for Sian Ka'an guests but only in certain places could we get great wi-fi capability.
We are already looking forward to going back!!

Room Tip: Penthouse rooms offer a private rooftop patio with great views
1  Thank 25rach31
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

To be your host during your first trip to the Mexican Paradise it has been a pleasure and very rewarding.

Thank you for staying at the Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an and for the feedback you have left. It is for guests like you who send us some nice words after their holiday, that our staff finds every day the motivation and energy to keep on the good work.

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel, hope we can repeat this wonderful experience in the near future.

Kind Regards

Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I am long overdue in writing this review, but thought better late than never! We stayed at Sian Kaan at the end of May 2012 and it was our best experience. From the room, to the service to the food, it was all 5 star quality. This hotel exceeded our expectations and we felt like royalty.

Let me start with the rooms. We were celebrating our wedding anniversary and decided to spend the extra and upgrade to the rooftop Jacuzzi suite - and let me tell you it was worth it. Although we didn't use it every day, we did use it a few times during the rainy days/evenings or if we just wanted a quiet night in. The tub does take some time to fill up but as long as you start a bit ahead of time, it will be ready by the time you are. The rooms were well maintained and the towel art was always something to look forward too. The rooms were very modern and up to North American standards. The bed was decent in comfort level and even though people complained about the darkness in the room from the shutters, we did not seem to find it a problem. The mini bar was always stocked with water, beverages and mini alcohol bottles. The bathroom was fabulous and the shower was nice and spacious.

The food at the resort was amazing and gourmet. Since you were guests of Sian Kaan you had access to all al a carte restaurants throughout the GBP sister hotels (Akumal, Tulum, and Coba). Our favorites were Alux, Le Gourmet and Don Pablo. We weren't the biggest fan of the Brazilian at Gran Tortuga. One of the nights we did do the Saturday night buffet at Sian Kaan as it was their seafood night. The only drawback to this night was that the hotel was hosting a golf tournament during that weekend, and as a result we ended up barely getting any seafood so we felt kind of jipped. I just wish the hotel would have been more prepared given the fact that there were more people staying at the hotel during that time. The buffet at Coba and Tulum were not gourmet and more standard subpar food, so after learning that, we always made sure we came back to Sian Kaan for lunch. The snack bar at Sian Kaan was okay, but was suitable when you wanted something late at night. Their cappuccino bar was amazing though, and it was always nice to end the night off with one of those. Drinks at the lobby bar were top shelf and their mojitos are just simply amazing.

The beach wasn't 5 stars and this is probably the only place I would have to complain. The water had rocky areas, but you were always able to find areas that were rock free and very pleasant. The sand whales were not attractive by any means and did take away from the whole ocean waves, but overall we did make the most of the water. Guests staying at Sian Kaan had their own designated area on the beach, we never had a problem finding beach chairs under the palapas. We felt like royalty when we never had to get up once to go and get a drink and that the wonderful staff were always there walking around making sure we were all well taken care of. The staff on the beach were always working hard at making sure the seaweed was taken care of. They really tried hard to make sure the whole experience at the resort was top notch. I can't comment on the pools as my husband and I are all about the beach; however, they looked great and well maintained at all the hotels.

The tram rides were pleasant, and never took long to get one to and from the beach. We did find at times at night after going out to eat and watching the live entertainment that finding a trolley back to Sian Kaan was a bit difficult. We sometimes waited quite a while and that was a bit frustrating at times but we made sure that we would ask the staff at the lobby to call for one. I guess since many guests don't stay on that side we were a bit neglected. I enjoyed the trolley rides and they were no longer than around 5 minutes. The grounds were kept in immaculate condition. There was always staff cleaning up and the animals on the grounds were always fun to watch.

The shows at night were great, and a lot of time and effort were put into them. The live music/band at the Hacienda was amazing and they always had the crowd roaring for more. They had people dancing and those that weren't dancing were dancing in their chairs. We wish that it was longer but shuts down at midnight as that is when the night club opens.

Overall our experience was extraordinary and we could not have asked for anything more. I can't wait to go back! It is truly a hotel that makes you feel like royalty from the moment you get there and the picturesque scenery is just priceless. You will not be making a mistake by staying here.

Room Tip: Junior Suite Superior Penthouse
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Shaz J

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time you have taken to write a review of your past vacations, we are happy to read that you had an extraordinary wedding anniversary celebration in May.

It is a pleasure to know that we met your expectations and that you enjoyed your room, the amazing food, the tram rides, the shows and in general, your whole vacation. Your comments are a great motivation to our team to keep up with the professionalism and service.

We would be delighted to assist you in the future if your travel plans lead you back to the Riviera Maya.

Luxury Bahía Príncipe Sian Ka’an

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I will definetively not recommend this resort because it is noisy, rooms are not kept to a 5* level, cleanliness is just avarage which is not acceptable for a 5*. However, the personnel is very friendly. I will definetively recommend the Maiko and Le Gourmet restaurants where the carte is fantastic and the service outstanding. The Buffet is also very good. For the golf lovers, the price of renting the cart (which is compulsory) is outrageous. Check the extra fees before going. Next time to Gran Bahia Principe, I will choose the Tullum Instead of the Sian Ka'an.

1  Thank Jean Jacques P
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Management, we would like to apologize for the inconveniences you might experienced during you recent stay, we take great pride in providing the best service possible to all of our guest.

We wish we would have been in contact while you were visiting us, so we could have resolve the issues you mentioned.

We hope we have the opportunity to offer you a better experience in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards from Mexico,

Reviewed February 14, 2013

We travelled to the Grand Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an the first week of February for a relaxing vacation. We booked through Air Canada Vacations - which had its own hiccups, for a ten day stay in a regular room. I had emailed ahead of time to book a la carte restaurant reservations which were all ready for us when we arrived. After a long bus ride, our check in was easy and efficient and we were greeted with a welcome margarita.

Our Room was very modern in its decoration and well appointed - free large safe, a fridge that included a few small bottles & mini bar. Shower only in the very nice bathroom - lots of towels, but no washcloths. Flat screen TV in the room with a few English channels - CNN and BBC news to keep up on what was happening in the world. We got a different towel animal each day on our king size bed which one day was covered in flower petals.

The food was excellent - I've been to many all inclusives and would say that it was the best of them so far. We did a different a la carte each night, but would have been happy with the buffet - lots of choices and we certainly didn't suffer, nor did we get sick which is a first I think. We both liked Maiko, thought Alux was okay but not great - he liked Gran Tortuga - while I think I liked the Arlequin better. We both enjoyed the sushi both at the sushi bar and the buffet.

I spent each morning at the beach enjoying the turquoise water and white sand while my boyfriend golfed. The shuttle to the beach is not a problem - we came back to the main pool each day around 2 to 3 pm when the activity staff moved over from the beach. The beach was beautiful - but then the sand bags don't bother me. Nice to not have to do the towel dance with towel cards..... beach bar was busy but they also came around and took drink orders which was nice : ) They stop serving mixed drinks at the pool bar around 4:45 each day which was a bit of a drag as I don't like beer.

My boyfriend is a golfer and golfed four times - paid $240 for the four rounds for the carts. He liked the driving range and the course and enjoyed most of his golf companions. He said that he got great service from Alfredo at the course. He did lose lots of balls....... like others have posted.

So - suggestions? Not much in the shop to purchase. I wish they had hooks in the women's washroom stalls to hang towels, etc. on. The spa was okay, but expensive (I had a pedicure and a massage - was stiff for days!)

We had a wonderful trip and can't wait to go back. Maybe two weeks this time????

Room Tip: We were in Villa 15B - it was a good location - fairly quiet.
5  Thank Cdntraveller060

Dear Guest,

Thank you for traveling to the Riviera Maya and for choosing Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an as you hotel destination, we really appreciate the nice review you said about your vacations with us.

It is grateful to read that you enjoyed our turquoise ocean, beach, room, excellent food, a la carte restaurants and the spa, while your boyfriend enjoyed to play Golf in our Golf Course.

We will be delighted to welcome you again on you future vacations,

Warm Regards from the Paradise,

Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is a gem of a resort- best time ever on a vacation and everyone is so helpful and friendly. If you have a concern the staff is so quick to try and help resolve. Food (presentation in a la cartes is superb) and service is exceptional and this is just a fantastic place to stay. If your a picky eater they have EVERY kind of food available. This resort is very quiet if you don't like alot of noise.The resort also had it's own little shuttle(runs constantly) that takes you to an exclusive area of the beach for Sian Ka'an which was really nice as this resort is quite far from the ocean.
Make sure you bring your own lap top or tablet if you want internet access as the ones at the resorts are not too reliable(if you can find one to use).

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sandy M

Dear Guest,

We are very please to read your good comments about your recent stay at the Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an, we really appreciate the time you have taken to reviewed your fabulous vacation. Thank you so much for mentioning what you enjoyed.

Hoping to be your host again in the near future, we send you our warmest regards,