We just returned from a 4 night stay at Sian Ka'an. Check in was a breeze. We arrived at 4:00 p.m. and our room was ready. We had emailed Claudia a week in advance with our dinner requests and a request with a room with a good view and a mattress topper for the bed. All requests were met...thank you Claudia!
ROOM: We stayed in a penthouse suite in Villa 6. Upon entering the room, we were very impressed. It was beautiful! Our televison wasn't working and the safe was locked, but reception sent up someone to fix both within 30 minutes of calling them. The location of the room was great. We were two buildings away from the lobby. The only problem with the location was that it was noisy at night from the music in the lobby area. However, this ended by 11:00 each night. The windows have double shades, but even with both of them down, the room is very bright as soon as the sun comes up. The upstairs balcony and hot tub were very nice to have. We could even see a bit of the ocean in the distance. Suggestion - after filling the hot tub and turning on the jets, add the two shower gels provided by the hotel for bubbles!
MAID SERVICE: This is one area we were very disappointed with. After returning from the beach the first day at around 2:00, our room had not been cleaned, but the tip we left on the table was gone! My husband went to complain to the front desk, but met up with the man who was cleaning the rooms in our building on the way. He talked to him and he came by and cleaned our room. So no complaint was made. Two days later, we came back from the beach at 4:00. Our room was not cleaned and there was a "Do not Disturb" sign on our door. We did not put the sign there and all we could think was maybe the cleaning person did to avoid having to clean the room.
BEACH: The beach area was nice. You do have to arrive early (by 8:30 or 9:00) to get a good seat. The tram comes about every 10 minutes to take you to the beach. We arrived early to get a front row umbrella an chairs. The chairs were about 10-15 feet from the water. Very nice. What was annoying was that at around 12:00, when the late beachgoers were arriving, several of them would find chairs from the back and move them on the sand area in front of us. Not nice. But, we are at the beach. Just order another drink and get over it! Some people are rude and will always be that way. Synthia, one of the beach servers, was such a hard worker. She always had a smile on her face. It took awhile to get a drink. They really should have more servers. If you don't want to wait, just walk up to the bar. The sandbars in the water are very ugly, but I guess they are necessary.
BARS: The lobby bar is very nice. The first night we were there, my husband waited at the bar for 20 minutes. The bartender was very busy and wouldn't acknowledge him. They seemed to be short staffed that night, but we never had a problem any other nights. They have entertainment every night. Usually just two singers that are okay. Nice to listen to while having a drink or two. Definitely not a rowdy crowd which was fine with us.
FOOD: The buffet was great. We have been to several resorts in Mexico, and this buffet tops them all. The service was excellent. They work so hard and are always smiling. We went to one ala carte (Alux). I ordered the beef tenderloin. It was overcooked and not very good. They noticed that I wasn't eating it and offered to exchange it, but I was full from the appetizers and not impressed with the meat, so I didn't get more. After that, we had all of our meals at the buffet. There was always something taht we wanted to eat there. We ate our lunches at the tulum buffet by the beach. It was okay, but definitely not as good as Sian Ka'an. I do agree with one of the previous posters about the desserts. They were beautiful, but no flavor. There is a 24 hour snack bar that serves nachos, burgers, ice cream and a few other things. It was good when the other restaurants were closed and you needed a snack.
POOLS: We didn't spend much time at the pools, but we would sit there for a drink or two after our day at the beach. They had bingo at 3:00. I won a bottle of tequilia! They also had a fun game one day where you had to throw your sandal across the pool into a basket to win a prize. I won a tshirt. After bingo, they had a short show (about 20 minutes). Other than that, the pools were quiet and relaxing.
OVERALL IMPRESSIONS: This is a great resort for people who are looking for a quiet vacation. It is not a party resort. Go elsewhere for that. I missed being able to look out the window at the beach, but the trams to the beach were convenient. The service is great (with a few exceptions). I would definitely stay here again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 4 outdoor pools (1 with Jacuzzi) Sun terrace with loungers and sun umbrellas BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Transfer to the beach and other facilities on the complex (at set times) Water activity centre, Beach Club with exclusive bar (at the Grand Principe Tulum) Motorised water sports (additional charge) WiFi access in the lobby and in rooms (free of charge) 1 international buffet restaurant 2 speciality restaurants 4 Bars 1 snack-bar Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest. Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco. Rooms 420 rooms including 4 types: Junior Suite, Deluxe Junior Suite, Deluxe Garden Junior Suite, Deluxe Penthouse Junior Suite. Deluxe Garden Junior Suites and Deluxe Penthouse Junior Suites are larger than the Junior Suites and the Deluxe Junior Suites. Room facilities: King size bed or 2 full size beds Air conditioning Ceiling fan Direct phone line (additional charge for external calls) Sitting area with sofa-bed and armchairs Balcony or terrace Bathroom with shower, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Bathroom amenities Bathrobe and slippers Don Pablo Collection amenities Alarm clock with iPod docking station Flat screen TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe Iron and ironing board 24 hour room service Butler service in rooms Private Jacuzzi Wifi (free of charge) Pillow menu Aroma menu Other services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings and anniversaries, as well as corporate incentive trips and conventions Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BP Travel USA, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Sian Ka`An Golf Resort And Spa
- Gran Bahia Principe Sian Ka`An Golf Hotel Akumal
- Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'An Don Pablo Collection Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico