Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Hamilton, Canada
“Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

A group of 6 of us recently visited this property. It was very nice and clean but no nightlife for an adult only resort. Things shut down by 11pm every night. You cannot swim after 7pm.
The food is good but it all looks the same and does it change much from day to day.the breakfast buffet was the best part. The Alux al a carte restaurant was fabulous. Great food and service. The Portofino not so much. There is a great language barrier. If you do not speak Spanish please buy a guide. Everything you say to the workers they answer si! Could be anything!
You must take a shuttle to the private beach as there is no beach at this property. The problem with this is that there is only a small section of it for the adults and it joins up with the public beach so there are kids everywhere and it is crowded. Good luck getting a chair.
The property itself is beautiful but there isn't much to do.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank vacationgirlOntario
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for trusting in Gran Bahia Principe Hotels & Resort and for choosing us to enjoy your holidays.

We really appreciate you taking the time to write some valuable comments about your stay at our nice hotel. The comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are very important to maintain the quality at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an. Thank you for bringing to our attention your perception about the food, the Portofino restaurant and our private beach, you can however rest assured that we will be giving this matter the proper attention.

Thank you once again for your time and your opinion.

Sending you kind regards from the Mexican Caribbean,

Luxury Bahía Príncipe Sian Ka’an

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,702)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Wahsington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

I've been to a few all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean, and this was by far my favorite! The facilities were beautiful, the food was really good, and the service was great.

I traveled with friends from January 4-7. Vacation was booked through Apple Vacations. I highly recommend this resort, despite a few small hiccups.

ABOUT THE RESORT

It's GIANT and includes 4 properties: Tullum, Coba, Akumal (on the ocean side) and Sian K'aan (across the highway). Sian K'aan is in a jungle setting near the gulf course, and you take a tram to the beach or to other resorts. While this is a small negative, Sian K'aan makes up for it with far superior food and drinks, and higher end finishes. Hacienda (a town square setting with shops, a sports bar, and discotech) sits in between the the four properties. Trams regularly cycle through the various properties - with the average tram ride lasting 5-10 minutes.

ARRIVAL

Took the shared transport offered through Apple, which I regretted. With a 90-minute drive to the resort ahead, the last thing we wanted to do was wait 30+ mins for the van to arrive. At least it went straight to the resort. The return transfer stopped at 3 others resorts on the way back to the airport, and Apple required us to leave the resort at 9:25 a.m. for a 2:15 p.m. flight - basically eliminating the final day.

CHECK-IN

Check-in was friendly, but a bit disorganized. They only had a record from Apple for a one-night stay, despite the three nights that we booked - that seemed to be an easy enough fix. We emailed in advance to request a room with 2 beds and room for a rollaway (three of us were travelling together) but there was no record of this request (though the dinner reservation we requested in the same email were waiting for us). We were assigned to Villa 27 (good location - close to the lobby and very close to the quiet pool/sushi bar, but away from the noise of the main areas). At first, we were told our room was ready, but then told it wouldn't be ready until 3pm (check-in time). When we came back at 3, it still wasn't ready but we learned it was because they wanted to fix up the "3rd bed" (a pullout couch). We were allowed to go to the room and change for the beach, but it took four additional phone calls to get the bed made up.

ROOMS:

Modern, comfortable, and clean. We requested a 2nd or 3rd floor room, and got a third floor room. It had a large balcony, sitting area with couch (which turned into a bed) and 2 twin beds. Unlike some other all inclusives, the room was furnished with basic toiletries and a safe. Refrigerator had large bottles of water (you need to ask for them to be replaced), coke, beer and mini bottles that we didn't touch. They sent up fruit at some point, and did the towel animal cruise ship thing. Bathroom was spacious and clean (and shower had a properly functioning drain). No complaints with the room.

BUFFET

The Sian Ka'an buffet was the best all inclusive buffet I've visited. Wide selection of food - eggs made to order, pasta bar, Mexican/salsa bar (yay corn tortillas), sushi/Asian food, salads, sandwiches, pizza, you name it. Particularly loved the Mimosa/Bloody Mary bar in the morning at the buffet! Service was friendly and helpful.

We tried the buffet at one of the other resorts (couldn't remember if it was Coba or Tullum) but it wasn't nearly as good as Sian Ka''an. It's worth the tram ride back for :)

A LA CARTE RESTAURANTS:

We made reservations in advance (thanks Claudia for the professionalism and responsiveness) and they were waiting for us in our room packet. We ate at Maiko (decent Japanese entrees, very fresh sushi) and Alux (great food selection and environment) at Sian Ka'an and Don Pablo (at Tullum). I liked the food at Maiko the best, followed by Alux. Don Pablo was okay, but nothing special (though they did have a fun floating bar that made flaming Irish coffees!). Each restaurant served a unique specialty cocktail that they greeted you with. Nicer wines were available for purchase, but we drank the house wine (a Chilean Cabernet or Chardonnay). They were drinkable (unlike the house wine served at some other all inclusives) but were just okay. Nothing special, nothing too offensive.

BEACH: The beach is sprawling - with plenty of space, chairs, and umbrellas. We spent most of our time at the private Sian K'aan section. Not sure what the difference was here from the other area (the chair were black rather than blue, and I think their might have been better alcohol selections - imports were available in addition to domestics). Paloma provides top-notch, friendly service. Enjoyed the mojitos, Caprinhas, and Bloody Marys. A lot of the other drinks were a bit too fruity.

ENTERTAINMENT:

Only made it to one show (Movie themed) at Coba. Fun costumes and great colleseaum, but pretty typical resort entertainment.

HEALTH:

Good news here. I have a strong stomach and rarely get sick, but often get a bug at all inclusive resorts despite taking numerous precautions. I came prepared this time (took Pepto in advance as a preventative measure), brought Cipro in case I caught something. My past 2 vacations to resort in the Dominican Republic I have needed these precautions. Glad to say that neither my friends nor I got the least bit sick this year! Bravo Bahia!

OVERALL:

There's not really a downside to this resort. Great property, outstanding and friendly service, beautiful facilities and beach, and good food!

Room Tip: Was happy with Villa 27 - a close walk to the lobby but away from the loud pool/speakers. Right near...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
9 Thank MD811
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an on Tripadvisor, your comments help us to maintain our high standards.

We are very pleased that you enjoyed the resort and would recommend it to others. It is great to hear that you considered Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an as your favorite all-inclusive resort in the Riviera Maya. We pride ourselves on delivering 5 star service, clean and spacious rooms, top quality fresh foods, and a calm and tranquil environment; we are happy that you enjoyed all of these.

On behalf of our entire staff, we thank you for choosing us, I will pass on your comments to the persons you mentioned by name: Claudia and Paloma.

We would like to apologize that you had an issue with your transportation, we would suggest you pass this information onto your travel provider; and for your slightly disorganized check-in, we will address this situation to improve our process.

We would be delighted to welcome you again at the Riviera Maya!

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

Wow, what can I say!!! This hotel keeps getting better, I do not know how they could improve anymore. I had been telling my friends how great this place was, so instead of our usual winter ski trip to Vail, we decided on the sunny Caribbean Sea for Christmas. What a great choice we made. I had been telling my friends how great the resort was, so we decided to book the trip to the Luxury Sian Kaan hotel. The first thing that we noticed was that it was now an all adult hotel, this was perfect for us, a little peace and quiet is what we needed. I did not mind it being kid friendly on my last visit, but I have to admit I really enjoyed the new atmosphere. From the moment we stepped onto the property we were treated like royalty. The bellboys who helped us with our luggage were amazing, they were friendly and had a great sense of humor. Whenever we need to catch a shuttle or taxi they had us on our way immediately, Eric, the bellboy captain gave us his extension and whenever we went golfing they would make sure to get us to the course on time with all of clubs and gear. Best golf course I have ever played, rated #3 in Mexico. The check in process was a breeze, the line was long because it was the holiday season but they had plenty of knowledgeable staff to handle the rush, we were on our way to our penthouse suites in no time. The rooms were just as I remembered, spacious, clean and a nice jacuzzi waiting for us on the rooftop terrace. The hotel staff did a great job cleaning our room. I had read a few reviews that the mini bar was not always stocked, they must have taken notice as well because they restocked it everyday, I even ran into Ignacio, he told me to call him "Nacho", he told me if we need extra beer to call the front desk and he would bring it right up. I wish I had a Nacho at home!!!! We ate at the Maiko and Alux restaurants 2 time each, AMAZING!!! I could eat the chicken teriyaki for dinner everyday. The Maiko was my favorite. The staff and chefs at the specialty restaurants were as good as any premier restaurant in the states. All of that being said, the buffet in Sian Kaan is as good as it gets, premier food, plenty of choices, and a waitstaff that is second to none, Faustino, Demitrio, and Joselyn made our day breakfast lunch and dinner. Staying at Sian Kaan, you have access to all 4 resorts on the property, the transportation has improved tremendously since last year, new routes and more trams. We spend the day at the private beach set up for only SK guests, wow what service. Paloma was the highlight of the beach, she would have your next drink before you could finish the last. Any bar or restaurant associated with Sian Kaan served premier alcohol including the bar at the beach. When we did decide to stay at the pool in Sian Kaan, Carlos kept us entertained and may be the best bar tender in all of Mexico. I set up my specialty dinners up on the first day, Brisa and Eva were very helpful, they even set up a special B-day dinner for my friend who turned 40.This is what I call luxury service. I have to give kudos the the whole management staff, they make this hotel a special place, it is not ran like a typical all-inclusve resort, it is ran like a high end boutique hotel with all of the perks of 5 star all-inclusive hotel. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants the best of the best. Viva Mexico, Viva Sian Kaan!!! I cant wait to get back there.

Room Tip: Penthouse was great, but you cant go wrong if you are staying in SK
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank WJR823
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for visit the Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an Resort and for taking the time to write your positive impressions about our hotel. I am very glad to hear from you again. It is for guests like you that our resort remains one of the most appreciated hotels in the Riviera Maya.

We are pleased that you were very satisfied with the cleanliness of our property, the food, the possibility of enjoying the other resorts on the property, the improvement of the tram service, the specialty restaurants and the excellent service of our staff, especially for mentioning Eric, Ignacio, Faustino, Demetrio, Jocelyn, Paloma, Carlos, Eva and I.

All of our staff is looking forward to seeing you on your future vacations,

Receive our warmest regards,

Kenosha, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

This was our second visit to Gran Bahia Sian Ka'an. It is a unique all inclusive resort situated in the jungle (west side of highway). This may be a turn-off for some people who like to be right on the beach (it's definitely not on the beach). But, we love it! There is an excellent transportation system throughout the entire complex (Gran Bahia Tulum, Gran Bahia Akumal, Gran Bahia Coba, and Gran Bahia Sian Ka'an). So, you get to see some fantastic scenery on the way to the beach every morning...and it's a 10 minute trolley ride...max. We don't golf, but we've talked with many golfers at the resort, and the course is supposed to be great. All I know is that it's beautiful! Here are some additional points:

- The service is always perfect everywhere at this resort...restaurants, bars, beach, trolley drivers, etc.
- The food is fantastic! We actually chose to skip our ala carte options, and ate at the buffet for all meals. It's that good!
- The rooms are clean, beautiful, and bright.
- The private beach is quiet and relaxing...with its own bar!
- The animation team is fantastic! If you want to relax, they let you relax. But, you are also welcome to participate in beach and pool games. It's up to you!
- The Tao Wellness Center is beautiful! Take advantage of the invigorating lap pools!
- We loved the bike tour!

Oscar, you do a great job with your Animation Team. I cannot believe you guys work such long days. And, everyone is ALWAYS in a good mood! I cannot say anything negative about anyone or anything. This is what vacation is all about for us!

There are so many fabulous reasons to stay at this resort! But, the main reason I'm coming back is because of the staff. I cannot say anything negative about anyone at this resort. EVERYONE is very professional, and it is obvious they want to make everything perfect at all times.

Tipping is not necessary to receive excellent service here. But, I always want to leave a tip, because the service is better than anything I've experienced in the US/Europe. And, this small gesture is very obviously appreciated.

Thanks again for a fantastic trip! We will be back to Sian Ka'an next year!!!

Room Tip: Any room we've had here has been really nice. If you like it quiet, don't choose a room clo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ateamfriesiankim
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your staying for second time in Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an. We are honor to be chosen between many other option.

We are very pleased to read that you enjoy the service, food, room, beach, animation team, transportation system and the Tao Welness Center,

Once again, thank you so much for your valuable comments and the time you take to send them.

We are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again at our resort.

Looking forward to host you here for your next vacations,

Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

Just came back on sunday from a 5 days vacation at the Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an. I booked this hotel mainly because of the reviews I had read on Trip Advisor.

The ride from Cancun airport is almost an hour, but I must say it is really worth it. The property is truly outstanding.

First, the rooms were very spacious, the bathrooms very nice and the beds very comfortable. The first night we were there, we slept almost 15 hours ! That s a first for me. I loved that the rooms were so clean and comfortable.

Then the pools were all nice, with one of the three being the most "calm and quiet" one.
The one thing I was worried about was the fact that it was not directly on the beach, but honestly it didnt bother me at all. We ended up going to the beach almost everyday, and it didnt even take 10 min by cart.

The grounds of the property were really nice, with a lot of vegetation, lots of trees ...that added to the charm of the place. The food was really decent. Not the best I've eaten, but there was consistent good food in all the restaurant at the Sian Ka'an including the buffet.

The service was 10/10. Everyone was really friendly and nice throughout our stay. I'm definitely planning to go back very soon.

The only negative thing I have to say about the resort is that one night we made reservations to eat at Tequila restaurant ( which is on another Bahia Principe property ) When we arrived, we brought the wrong reservation ticket with us. The restaurant was almost empty, and the hostess told us we didnt have the right reservation ticket so she couldnt do anything for us. We tried to explain the situation and she kept giving us attitude and making faces. At the end a waiter came to see us and offered us to sit at a table...it was kind of ridiculous...but besides from that experience it was a fantastic vacation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Frederica84
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Receive greetings from the Luxury Bahía Príncipe Sian Ka’an; we would like to thank you for trusting in the good reviews on Tripadvisor to choose us for your holidays.

We appreciate that you have taken the time to give us your feedback on as your comments are valuable to us in order to continuously improve our service and standards.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the clean and comfortable rooms, the quiet pools, the nice hotel grounds and the excellent service.

Thank you for bringing to our attention your perception about the service Tequila restaurant; this will be sending to the Tulum hotel management and appropriate actions will be taken.

Thank you also for recommending our hotel and for advice all our future guests. It will be wonderful to welcome you again.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Good value for the money. Nice and friendly staff. Fantastic golf course. Very nice beach. Don't confuse Sian Ka'an with the other resorts at Gran Bahia. Sian Ka'an is The Best!!!! We would definatly like to come back........ ;0)

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank roilittip
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us, we appreciate that you have taken the time to give us your feedback as your comments are valuable to us in order to continuously improve our service and standards.

The entire Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an Team is very glad to know that you had a great experience during your stay, especially that you enjoyed the golf course, the beach and the service of our staff; we hope we can welcome you again in the near future.

Best regards from Mexico,

Cape Town Central, South Africa
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,155 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

I first stayed here when the hotel had just opened and hadn't been completely built out. It was lovely and quiet. Now it is much bigger but even with the Christmas crush spread out enough that it doesn't feel crowded like the other BP properties--there are no less than three pools set around a jungle. The other older BP hotels all look and feel alike, but this one is different: cool, upscale, modern and more environmentally conscious. You are steps from numerous golf courses beautifully laid out with cenotes and the jungle as backdrops.

They decided to change the hotel to an adults only establishment in November 2012 and several people were caught out and had to downgrade with their teenagers to one of the other properties. However, it was blissful to be w/o the screaming children at the pool and at meals.

I stayed here with my mother for 12 nights. Reception was slow and not very organized (Claudia being a notable exception.) It took about 20 minutes to check in and you have to pay for your room in advance with the extras at the end. A day before I was due to leave they called me saying I hadn't paid for my room and asked me for proof of payment. Fortunately, I had my credit card receipt but this shouldn't happen. Then they determined I hadn't been charged for all the nights I stayed, so more time was spent sorting this out. All in all, I was called from my room once and twice practically dragged from the lobby to the reception desk to pay (including as I was saying goodbye to my mother who was leaving a day before me) as they attempted to sort this out. So keep all your receipts and give yourself time to check out.

Room was spacious and quiet. We advised of a clogged sink and it was fixed after two days. WIFI however was very slow when it was not completely out. Often there was not even mobile phone reception. The lobby too often had WIFI connection issues and was slow. There are no computer terminals to print out boarding passes so you have to use the guest relations staffs' machines when they are not to busy which tends to be at night only. Wait times to talk to the two guest relations agents (who were all excellent) was very long because everyone is trying to book meals into the different restaurants given the all inclusive nature of the GB resort. (Save yourself the trouble, as Sian Ka'an has the best food by far. (The exception being the Japanese which is really greasy and lacking in authentic taste.) There was a travel desk at the other end of the lobby but it was fairly useless as they just sent you to a bigger hotel to book tours or tell you the tours the hotel advertises don't exist?! Better if they would use this space for computer terminals and printers for guests.

As others have pointed out, the cleaning service was very uneven. Sometimes the room was given Just a cursory cleaning and facecloths and hand towels weren't provided. Other times the rom was cleaned very well. Calling housekeeping or putting up a sign didn't seem to yield any results as both the "clean the room" and "don't disturb" signs were routinely ignored. Nether did speaking to the cleaners and telling them when they could come and clean. Sometimes we waited until the later afternoon for a clean room.

Laundry was an issue. No one came to collect the laundry despite many calls so we delivered it to the guest relations folks in the lobby. It was supposed to be back the same day. The next day it was still not there and they delivered only half the laundry when we called to ask after it. It took them five days and our going to guest relations five times to get all our laundry. We didn't dare leave any laundry after that. And prices are very high.

Food is excellent except at the snack bar/poolside where it's junk food and the waiters are neither friendly or attentive. It seems they forgot that this was an adults only establishment as they served kiddie food of hotdogs, fries, hamburgers. Breakfast is especially good and the waiters are superb. The American style of tipping at the end of each meal is very annoying and means you have to walk around with a wad of change which is hard to get. (Note the ATM machine in the lobby dispenses only USD at a hefty 10% commission on top of your bank's fees!) We therefore opted to tip at the end of or stay to the most helpful waiters.

Tao Wellness Center wasn't designed to be for hotel guests so there were 35 people trying to do yoga in a tiny room and you had to wait in line in the morning to use the exercise equipment. Shuttles to the beach were hard to come by from the lobbies of the other BP hotels. We often had to wait 30 -40 minutes for a ride back to Si'an Kaan which is located across a highway (they have built a flyover for the shuttles) at the other end of the vast GB property, whereas the shuttles to and from the other hotels came by every five minutes.

All in all, I think the hotel needs to sort out reception and housekeeping before charging premium pricing as despite the goodwill of most of the staff, the above issues shouldn't happen at a five star resort.

Room Tip: Avoid a room near the golf course as you will get noise from the passing shuttles and passerbys. Als...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank poleinahole1
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for trusting in Gran Bahia Principe Hotels & Resort and for choosing for second time Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an for your vacation. We appreciate that you have taken the time to give us your feedback as your comments are valuable to us in order to continuously improve our service and standards.

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed the facilities and laid out of the hotel, the adults only concept, the spacious and quiet room and the excellent food.

The management and staff extend our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences which you may have experienced as a result of the situations you have brought to our attention. You can however rest assured that we will be giving these matters the proper attention and corrective measures where necessary will be applied so as not to have a reoccurrence of such.

Please be informed that TAO is not operated directly by the hotel, but we assure you, that the manager has been informed of the particular observations, and that appropriate actions will be taken wherever possible.

We thank you once again for bringing your concerns to our attention and for vacationing with us. In the hope you will consider giving us the opportunity to once again host you in the near future.

Receive our warmest regards,

Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#68 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,409 reviews

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!