New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection

Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Columbus, Ohio
“Fantastic hotel but will not return”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Gran Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an is by far the best of the GBP hotels in Akumal.

My wife and I stayed here a week to celebrate my 35th birthday. First time in Akumal, but 13th or 14th time in Mexico..... we love Mexico!!!

This was our first time staying at a mega resort like GBP, (so many hotels on one property) the place is huge! The rooms are very nice, well decorated and very clean. Compared to Coba, Akumal, and Tulum... I think Sian Ka'an tops them in every category except location. The restaurants are nicer, the workout facility @ TAO is nicer, and the service @ the bars and restaurant is better. Even the lobby bathrooms were better, cleaner, well maintained. However Sian Ka'an is the furtherest away from the beach, and being on the jungle side, you had to deal with lots of bugs beatles, millipedes, grasshoppers, and wildlife aplenty (especially at night). But the shuttles ran constantly and made it very easy to get around.

Check in, like every place, is at 3PM. So pack your swim suit in your carry-on and be ready to leave your bags with the front desk. Skip the pool and take the shuttle to the private beach (Sian Ka'an guests only). Bar service at your lounger is sooo nice (bring tip money, these servers work hard)

Beach is ok, don't really care for the huge man made sand bars in the water (they look like beached whales) but they serve a purpose.... less waves and probably prevents erosion of the beach.

Had a few good experiences and a few very bad experiences with dining. We made most of our dinner reservations for ala cartes before we arrived. First night @ Arlequin was the worst service during that week. Celebrating my birthday.... seated only 10 mins late and right next to a couple w/ a screaming/crying baby. I asked the server to move us to the otherside of the dining room.... BIG MISTAKE. Our server greet us and serves us water but does not come back for another 20 mins to take our drink order (so we go ahead and order dinner at the same time). Sorry they ran out of Filet, substitute NY Strip. 15 more mins, no bread, no drinks.. just sitting there enjoying each other's company and trying to just be happy that we are on vacation. Finally when entrees come out, they having the same sides as if they came off a buffet. My NY Strip is a thin piece of meat with some gravy on it and my wife's Sea bass & shrimp are dried out like pieces of seafood jerky. We had enough, left in the middle of our meal and found the buffet. Off to a bad start...

Breakfast @ Sian Ka'an buffet was perfect. Eggs made to order and great service. That night, dinner @ Alux = done to perfection. Everything came our at the perfect timing, not rushed, no long waits... and the presentation was beautiful. Our servers Roque & Wilberth were attentive and professional. We tipped each of them $20 at the end of the night....

Lobby bar @ Sian Ka'an is also the best bar @ out of the many bars in the GBP complex. Offers a romantic & upscale atmosphere, servers are very attentive and as far as I know the only bar that serves top shelf (Don Julio Tequilas, Crown Royal, different Scotch selections).

Tulum buffet also had another bad experience with a very rude hostess. After watching 10-15 people in front of me who walked in wearing beach wear, she singled me out and told me I could not come in wearing wet clothing. Very understandable, I wouldn't want to sit on a chair cushion soaked by pool/ocean water either; but I wasn't wet. I insisted I haven't been in the pool or ocean yet but she insisted I had to change. Normally I am the short tempered but my wife stepped in and requested to talk to a manager. At this point, I could tell she was getting very upset. She harly ever complains.

Neytaha (not sure on the spelling) with an attitude refused to get a manager and said "it's his day off". At this point, I could tell there's no winning this argument. I calmed my wife down and pulled a pair of shorts out of my backpack and changed in the lobby bathroom. My wife could not let it go and sat there during lunch, pointing out how many people walked in wearing swim wear unharassed. We did not return to this restaurant for the rest of our visit.

Don Pablo for dinner, pretty good food and service but nothing special.

Mikado next night.(not the one @ Sian Ka'an) Also uneventful. They cook in front of you, but no presentation (no jokes, no flaming volcano, no knife work or juggling) nothing like Japanese steakhouse back home. Cook, serve, and eat.

The one thing that prevents me from wanting to return to this resort is the Dolphin Encounter. Its sad and in my opinion inhumane. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on this matter, but its a deal breaker for me.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank IvanhP
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, please receive greetings from the Luxury Bahía Príncipe Sian Ka’an; we would like to thank you for trusting in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts and for choosing us to spend your holidays.

We appreciate that you have taken the time to give us your feedback on as your comments are valuable to us in order to continuously improve our service and standards.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the rooms, the Tao wellness center, the internal transportation, and the service of our staff. We really appreciate that you mentioned the work of our great staff especially Roque y Wilberth. We will forward your comments to our team.

Thank you for bringing to our attention your perception about the service at the Tulum buffet, Arlequin restaurant and the Dolphinarium; be sure that will be reviewed with the managers and we will take immediate action for every detail you have described.

Once again thank you for your time and comments, hoping to have a second opportunity to improve your experience.

Sending you my kindest regards,

Luxury Bahía Príncipe Sian Ka’an

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,524)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband and I booked the Sian kaan for a 2 week holiday in dec over Christmas. We have been to 5 resorts in the Mayan and must say that this was an exceptional place. We have fairly high expectations of service, food etc and ALL were above standards!!! The only thing we found that we would have liked is for the mini bar to be stocked daily. It seemed sometimes it was a few days before they came. This wasnt a real issue for us tho and if it were for you, all you need to do is make a call to room service to stock it. Thats really the only thing we can comment on that could have been different. It was nice to have access to the other Bahia resorts-to go for dinner, check out entertainment etc, but staying at Sian Kaan was the right choice. There were so many additional benefits such as the access to the private sian kaan beach, the Maiko and Alux restaurants (which were our favoriate out of 12 restaurants we ate at in our 14 day stay). I must say tho, the food at all restaurants and the buffets were very good. We never had a bad meal. The service was great as well, throughout the Bahia resorts. We especially want to thank Juan and Brisa for their incredible hospitality and for make our stay so memorable. (and thank you for the beautiful room!!!) The staff at the resort worked very hard and sometimes we felt there could have been more staff at the lobby bar and some restaurants. The entertainment team was awesome..so friendly and outgoing and they did a great job at getting people to participate in fun events at the beach, around the pool, in lobby area, etc. The other great thing about Sian Kaan is that its adults only and fairly quiet and if you are looking for livelihood, music, dancing etc, you can find it at the hacienda, discoteque and there is live music usually at night. I could go on about all the great things about the Sian Kaan (and Bahia in general). We would definitely recommend this resort!!!!

2 Thank newlywedzzzzz
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing Luxury Bahía Principe Sian Ka’an and recent visit to our resort and for taking the time to write your impressions about our hotel; for us it was a real pleasure to host you here.

It is a pleasure to read that we exceeded your expectations during you stay and that you enjoyed the excellent food, the benefits that Luxury Sian Ka’an offers at the other sister hotels, the a la carte restaurants and the entertainment activities.

We strive to provide the best service and we are very happy that you appreciated the service and personal attention of our employees especially for mentioning Juan, the entertainment staff and me.

We would be delighted to host you and your husband in the future.

Best regards from Paradise,

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

This year we have spent five weeks at the Sian Ka'an, two weeks in June, one week in October and two weeks in December. During these stays we enjoyed a top floor regular suite, a top floor penthouse jacuzzi suite and a ground floor patio jacuzzi suite. A special thank you to Claudia for arranging these extremely clean and modern rooms. Housekeeping was top notch, bed linens and towels changed daily and fridge always restocked. (FYI: if you put a "do not disturb" sign on your door your fridge may not get restocked). Prior to arrival Claudia organized our dinner reservations (thanks again). We basically only booked the gourmet restaurants, including the Alux, Le Gourmet, the Arlequin but also tried the Dolce Vita and the Maiko. We enjoyed an array of meals from steak, seafood, and pasta, all excellent. We also found the red wine to be quite good. Breakfast and lunch were usually spent at the Sian Ka'an buffet where we enjoyed the services of Dimetrio and Eglady. They always smiled and ensured your coffees and mimosas were always filled. During our three visits we played the Riviera Maya golf course 18 times. This course is walking distance from the lobby. The golf course is all-inclusive but you have to pay for the cart. The cart is $65 per person but if you buy three games you get the fourth free. This works out to $47.50 a game per person. This includes cart, GPS, snacks and drinks, practice balls, lunch and beer at the clubhouse(guests of the Sian Ka'an), an excellent deal considering what you get back home for $50. The course is in amazing shape, it's challenging with beautiful manicured tee-boxes and fairways that resemble greens. The scenery is outstanding and the wildlife fun to watch. We would often see large groups of coatis as well as iguanas throughout the course. We would suggest to bring a lot of balls. A special thanks to Ivan in the pro-shop and Alfredo, Samuel, and Christian for getting our clubs out of storage and helping us set up. We always started our morning with lots of laughs. My husband had left his golf shoes and iPad in the golf cart. We realized after lunch that we might have left it downstairs at the course. We would like to thank Alfredo for securing our items safely in our golf bag waiting our return. Following our games we would spend our afternoons either by the pool or the ocean. Both beautiful, very warm in June and refreshing in December. We found the trams to be very good however we learned pretty quickly that's it's not too far to walk to the ocean, or the other resorts. This was a great way to burn off the lunch calories and only took us about 30 minutes. Interesting enough almost every tram driver would slow down to see if we wanted a ride! We found that the 24 hour snack bar was a great spot to have early morning breakfasts before early tee-offs. Thank you to Jesus for his excellent service in the morning and in the afternoon to Carlos. We enjoyed snacks in the afternoon including ribs, wings, pizza, hamburgers, wine & beer. I'm sure we've missed things here ( hacienda, lobby bar, dancing etc.....) all was excellent. We will be back in the Spring and will follow up with another review. Julie & Rene, Ottawa, Canada

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Julie & Rene,

For Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an is a real pleasure to hear from you again; we would like to thank you for your great review about your stays at our property; we hope you had a safe and pleasant trip home.

Guests like you, who send us many nice words after their holiday, motivate our staff every day and give them the energy to keep up their hard work. I will forward this review to every department manager so our staff gets the recognition they deserve.

We are looking forward to your next visit with us, please let me know if there is anything that I can help you with.

Best Regards for the Riviera Maya!

Best Regards,

north bay ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Arrived on Dec 24th for a week and thanks to Claudia she had booked us a wonderful location close to the lobby and the room was wonderful and on the ground level. All of the ala Cartes that we had were great. The buffet gala on Christmas Eve was wonderful and all of the wait staff were so attentive. At Sian Ka'an there is an activity pool and we ended up going to play bingo everyday at 3pm and the animationi team make it was so much fun and work so hard to make you have a great experience. At night in the square the animation team again encourages dancing and gets you to participate, which we normally do not partake but we had so much fun. My husband played pool volleyball a couple of times and had a great time. The beach reserved for Sian Ka'an is great and has better loungers and a bar and a shout out to Syntia who treked back and forth making sure we had our drinks. Also Marianne at the pool who again provided us with excellent service. Please tip these people as they are working in the hot sun to make sure we have a good time. Also, Guest Services I hope this is correct Rolando was wonderful with any questions we had. Our housekeeper usually did the room in the late afternoon and then turn down service at nite which again we tipped for their hard work. Other than having to take the shuttle to the beach and other ala cartes we had no complaints. Met a lot of great people and could have stayed another week.

Room Tip: We liked close to lobby ground floor
6 Thank doodlejb
Dear Guest,

First of all, thank you for choosing Luxury Gran Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an for your holiday destination.

On behalf of our entire staff it was a pleasure to host you on Christmas, and we value the opportunity to serve and entertain you. We will pass your comments to our staff, especially Claudia, Cynthia, Mariana y Rolando; we will forward your comments to them.

We are very pleased that you enjoyed the activities with the entertainment staff, your room and the a la carte restaurants.

It would be our pleasure to host you at the Riviera Maya for your next vacation,

Best Regards,

Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I were here for a week over Christmas for a belated honeymoon. We'd actually had Coba booked but were offered Sian Ka'an as a free upgrade. I am so glad we took it because it was fantastic! The food was great, it was quiet, and you could always get a chair by the pool/beach. The staff was very friendly and the service was great. There was beach and poolside drink service. There was free wifi in the whole resort. It was great that we had access to this resort plus the other three across the highway. We loved just hopping on the trolleys and making our way to wherever we needed to go. Having a private Sian Ka'an beach was great!

The international gourmet restaurant was good - if you like seafood. It wasn't listed as a seafood restaurant but you had very few non-seafood choices if you didn't like seafood. We really liked the sushi restaurant and the service at both was fantastic.

My husband forgot to lock up his cell phone one day while we were away from the resort and when we came back it had just been neatly arranged on the nightstand. Another day I forgot to lock the safe while the room was being cleaned and nothing was touched. It was great that we didn't have to worry too much about these security issues!

We will definitely be back!

6 Thank the_newfie_bullet
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time you have taken to share your fantastic experience during your honeymoon at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an.

We truly appreciate your feedback in order to continuously improve our service and standards. It is a pleasure to read that you had a good experience with the a la carte restaurants, the beach, Wi-Fi service, the trolley service, the great staff and that you and your belongings were safe and secure.

We are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again at the Riviera Maya,

Kind Regards,

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I can't say enough about how friendly the staff was.

The entertainment guys -- Eduardo, Oscar, and Alejandro (momo) were awesome

The snack bar guys were also incredibly nice and helpful. Carlos Capitan and Joel Steeven were amazing. Those dudes were always smiling and were always asking if I needed anything.

All of the bar staff and wait staff were also very helpful and provided excellent service.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank asaffro
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for trusting and visiting Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an. It is for guests like you that our resort remains one of the most appreciated hotels in the Riviera Maya.

We are very happy to hear that you had a great vacation and that you appreciated the service and personal attention of our employees, especially for mentioning Carlos, Momo, Oscar and Eduardo.

We would be delighted to host in your future Mexican vacations.

Best regards from the Paradise,

British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We had a fabulous vacation at the Sian Ka'an in September 2012.

It was the low season, so we were able to make all of our a la carte dinner reservations by email in advance. This was so nice! We were told our dinner tickets would be included with our room keys, but when we checked in they weren't there. This was a quick fix at the concierge, and the staff there (and everywhere) was very helpful, and they never made you feel pressured to tip at all. The two restaurants at Sian Ka'an were definitely a notch above those at the three other Bahia resorts, and we wish we had made repeat bookings at them, rather than go to the others.

It was a bit of a downside to not be closer to the beach. The shuttles weren't quite as frequent as promised, and once one ran out of gas halfway to our destination. We had to sit on the side of the road for the next shuttle to come, which made our trip to the beach take about 45 minutes. I lollygag when I walk, stopping to look at birds, lizards, and bugs and I still probably could have walked there faster.

Because we were there in hurricane season there was a bit of rain. The rain totally leaked into our rooftop penthouse suite (through the rooftop door and it ran all down the stairs, as well as coming in through all of the windows!). When we notified them, the staff was quick to come and put towels down and clean up. Our room was really nice and we would definitely recommend the penthouse suite. We only went up on the roof a few times, but it was nice to have the option. You could still see other rooftop suites, but it still felt very private. We looked towards the courtyard, but I think rooms on the other side looked towards the ocean, which would have been amazing.

Our favourite person by far was Faustino, who worked in the Sian Ka'an buffet for breakfast and lunch. He was genuinely a nice person, provided excellent service, and seemed more like a friend to us than a server. He made the vacation memorable for us!

I would hands-down recommend the Sian Ka'an. It was a class above Tulum/Akumal/Coba, and definitely worth the small upgrade cost to be at a nicer resort (premium alcohol, unlimited a la cartes, private beach area).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank K2013B
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire Gran Bahia Principe Hotels & Resort team I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the reviews regarding your fabulous vacation at our hotel in September 2012.

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your room, the internal transportation, the beach and the excellent service provided of our staff, be sure that your comments will be forward to our Faustino, who is great ambassadors of the service in our hotel.

Thank you also for recommending Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an hotel and for advice to all of our future guests. It will be wonderful to welcome you again and give you the good service you already know.

Best regards from sunny Mexico,