Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an
$335
$237
Very Good 4/5
  • Breakfast included
Del Sol Beachfront Hotel(Akumal)(Great Value!)
$88
Great 4.5/5
Hotel Que Onda(Akumal)(Great Value!)
$59
Great 4.5/5
No availability for your dates from our partners
7,867 results
All reviewsother hotelsalux restaurantcenote snack barpenthouse suitelobby bara la carte restaurantsprivate beachrooftop jacuzzifull length mirrorgala nightdon pablosushi baran adults only resorttrolley ridedinner reservationsnever waited more than minutesbutler service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Going back again,

We have been to the Bahia properties several time over the past several years. The Sian Kaan property three time and it just keeps getting better. We where there in July with our two adult children and had an amazing time. Second time in 2012 first was in January. As usual the staff did every thing possible to make our visit outstanding. The facilities are clean and the food perfect. As for not being by the beach, the trollies move you around with ease and the time in which it takes to go any where around the resort is short. The private beach with beach service is great, nothing better then having the drinks brought directly to you. As for the pools, they are clean, well kept and the pool side service is always outstanding. Being able to go for dinner at the other resorts, use there pool, makes the selection out standing.

We have already booked our winter vacation again at the Sian Kaan. I would recommend this resort to everyone. As you can tell from the majority of the reviews, people love this resort and that is why my wife and I continue to go back. I will repost after our Feb vacation.

Room Tip: We have stayed in a penthouse suite which was perfect. The bottom level suites are just as good.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Burk1
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your third visit to the Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an Resort and for taking the time to write your positive impressions about our hotel. It is for guests like you that our resort remains one of the most appreciated hotels in the Riviera Maya.

We are pleased that you were very satisfied with our staff, the cleanliness of our property, the food, and the possibility of enjoying the other resorts on the property.

All of our staff is looking forward to seeing you in February,

Receive our warmest regards,

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Wonderful experience!
Excellent room (we were in a first floor suite and haven’t missed the Jacuzzi with the pool so close by: what we missed was an armchair in the balcony), wonderful service, great food and bars, nice pools (although the sian ka’an pools are not as big as you expect but really nice and quiet enough; we missed the wet bar but could find it in the other resorts in the complex),
The design and decor is modern and relaxed; the "jungle" environment of sian ka'an is really nice; not the planted palm trees and coconut trees that usually decorate the resorts.
Glad we risked a non-beach line resort - there is a private beach for Sian Ka'an and regular transportation that doesn't take long. Although we can envision that during high season there will not be enough space on the beach...
Very convenient transportation to other Gran Bahia Principe Resorts (pools, bars, buffets, a la card restaurants). But then you can always return to the quietness and relaxed environment of Sian Ka'an.
Convenient distance to Tulum, Coba, Chichen Itza and Praia del Carmen.
Counting the days to return...

Room Tip: around the lobby noisy ultil 11 pm the resort is small so every room is near we haven't missed the outdoor jacuzzi with the pools nearby (at least the ground floor jacuzzi have not privacy, we could see everything from the 1st floor)
4  Thank Catarina B
RRPPSIANKAAN, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us, we appreciate that you have taken the time to give us your feedback as your comments are valuable to us in order to continuously improve our service and standards.

The entire Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an Team is very glad to know that you had a wonderful experience during your stay, especially that you enjoyed the modern design of our hotel, the excellent food, service, bars, pools, room and the internal transportation; we hope we can welcome you again in the near future.

Best regards from sunny Mexico,

Reviewed December 19, 2012

I arrived to Sian Kaan December 6, 2012 and i was there till December12,2012. Overall experience was ok I was expecting a lot more to be honest based on reviews.

We arrived in the afternoon they welcomed us with a margarita drink. As soon as we checked in i went to check on the dinner situation. Public relations informed me that they couldn’t make reservations to restaurants after 3pm( which is very inconvenient for guests arriving after 3) So we took a reservation that was cancelled to the restaurant named Frutos del Mar. The service was fast the food was ok.

The next day we decided to make reservations for the next days we had left in the property so we didn’t have to worry about dealing with the time deadline for reservations. We woke up early and went to the buffet for breakfast. My husband was wearing a sleeveless shirt because obviously we are on vacation and after breakfast we were going to hit the beach. As soon as we try to walk into the buffet it was a big deal because he needed a shirt with sleeves to have breakfast. They ended up providing a shirt from the hotel so we could have breakfast. Note I understand there are policies but I have never dealt with this types of rules for buffet that’s number 1 and number 2 this is a "luxury" "5" star hotel I wasn’t expecting to be so restricted. We finally make it inside the buffet i placed my stuff on a chair (empty table) and decided to walk around and take a look at everything. The buffet is small but has a little bit of everything enough to start your day. We picked what we wanted and we went back to our table where we sat there for more than 15 minutes without water/drinks. They would pass by and completely ignore you so they didn’t have to serve you and this went on during lunch as well. Until we tipped one of the ladies and from that time she would look for us and serve us drinks or tea because she knew she was getting a tip.

One of the times we came from the beach( again is very far and you are depending on the shuttle) to have lunch it was around 3:15 and the buffet closes for lunch at 3:30. The server for our table kept repeating the entire time that the buffet was going to close kind of like rushing us the entire time. When i came back from getting my food he approached again with the same story rushing me to get desert because it was going to close. I felt more like rushed in this property than in vacation. The other issue i had when i was walking out of the buffet my husband took one of the deserts from the buffet to sit outside the buffet and have it with a cappuccino, well one of the staff member of the buffet followed us to the door and told him he couldnt take the desert outside the buffet. I was in shock at this point!

We had a good time with the entertainment group they were very nice and willing to help. I never made it to any of the shows because all the dinner reservations given by public relations was between 9 and 10 pm. One night we decided to go to the Mediterranean restaurant which was a complete disaster. The glass was dirty, the food wasn’t good at all and to top it off when my husband went to get desert there was absolutely nothing. I had to ask the waiter if they were bringing any more deserts out.

We used the room service which again is very limited just like everything else in this property i requested some of the breakfast sandwiches and i said at least 3 times ( note i speak Spanish is my first language ) no ham no pork! guess what i got? ham sandwich both of them.

The beach I have to say there are a lot of rocks so be very careful I was expecting a much better beach there are parts that you cant walk. The area reserved for the sian kaan is very small and the only way to get a chair was waking up at 7 am and take a shuttle over there and reserve a chair. Otherwise u will find urself looking around like we did the first day under the sun for 20 minutes and got lucky that somebody was leaving.

The service at the beach wasn’t great again the first day we got coconut water it was very nice. When i went the second day to ask for it again they told me they didn’t have it available that day that the next day they were going to have it for sure. Guess what the next day was the same story and so on for the rest of the week. Here is my problem if you don’t have it you don’t have it there is nothing to be upset about but when u keep telling me the next day and the next day to me that’s a problem especially at a 5 star hotel.

The other issue we experienced is that we stayed at this hotel to celebrate our honeymoon and of course i was expecting something special because of the honeymoon. we never got anything out of the ordinary i called and asked for a bottle of champagne and they told me there was a fee for it this is very disappointing because those details are essential to a honeymoon. We stayed at a penthouse suite the room was very nice i have no complaints because it was truly comfortable.

We experienced a few issues with the cleanness of our room. The lady never changed the robes i had to actually call everyday because even if he put them on the floor for her to change or take this was never done she would hang them back up. After them 2nd night that i called and asked again for them to be replaced for clean ones the 3 day she came in to clean she just took them and never left any.

The reception on the date of our check out called me at 7 am in the morning to let me know that check out time was at 11 am.

I believe what bothered me the most was the issue with the buffet and the making reservations for dinner. I have stayed at true 5 star hotels where you are not restricted with schedules and dress code at all which i believe should be the right way because you are in vacation to relax and enjoy not to be pressured with schedules. Note i agree with the dress code for the main restaurants I’m not saying to show up in flip flops is ok.. is not at all but the buffet i think that was too much. The alux restaurant was ok i wasn’t very impressed either, the one we liked the best was maiko the Japanese restaurant the meat was very tender and the service was very good. we decided not to go to the restaurants at other properties after the experience with the Mediterranean and frutos del mar.

I would say there are many things that would have to be improved/change to truly be called a 5 star hotel. Maybe i was expecting the same service as other 5 star hotels that i have stayed at and i understand every hotel is different but i truly believe they could do a lot better with the service situation at the buffet you have to hunt them to bring u water and give money which as you may know is not required and i don’t mind as long as i get a good service.

I would recommend if you are usual to 5 star hotels and high quality of service and food i would recommend to spend a little more money or search your options and stay somewhere else.

4  Thank karenf05

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our resort.

We are glad to hear that you had a good time with the entertainment group, that you enjoyed your comfortable Penthouse suite and the Maiko restaurant.

Also, I would like to make a heartfelt apology that your stay was not up to your expectations. Our team works very hard to ensure our facilities and services are superior and strive to be the best hotel around.

I will not attempt to excuse the occurrences that happened during your stay, but I do sincerely hope that you will give us another chance to reaffirm your faith in the Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an.

I welcome you to contact me directly so that I can organize you dinner reservations in advance and to ensure your next stay is flawless. I greatly appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Warm regards,

Reviewed December 18, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at this amazing resort last week. From the welcome drink at check in to the last Dirty Monkey at the bar it was a lovely experience. Manicured clean and something right out of a magazine it was everything we could wish for. If you are going to visit the grand Bahia principe group of hotels the Sian Ka'an is the best of the group. The Coba and Tulum...although they are belonging to the same chain lacked the lustre and quality as the Sian Ka'an. The food was excellent....I would know..I am (was) a chef. Rooms are spacious and clean...and cozy private nestled in the jungle. The staff is so friendly. The cool part is that while you share all of the amenities of the Coba and Tulum resorts....they can't come and share yours. And you have your own private beach exclusive for Sian Ka'an guests. The Tulum and Coba can't use this beach......and it is this exclusive feel and intimacy that you will appreciate once you are there. The standards are high and it was hard to have to leave. You can't beat the price right now. Worth every penny. Be sure to go snorkelling with a guided in the nearby cenotes...unbelievably cool!!!!!!!! Like in the movies... A well a sort taxi to Akumal Beach will allow you to snorkel in the bay with crazy views of the underwater work of reefs fish and turtles. Yes they are right there a with you...........a last note.......only bad experience was the mosquito bites. The few that I did get are nasty.....I am a bit more allergic than others. My boyfriend didn't get any. So if you are sensitive to bites bring some repellent. Would go again in a heartbeat should I be so lucky. :)

Room Tip: Maybe towards the back. We stayed in 1812 and it felt like we were on our own.
6  Thank Andi U

Dear Guest,

Thank you for trusting in Gran Bahia Principe Hotels & Resort and for choosing Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an for your vacation.

We really appreciate you taking the time to send some valuable comments about your stay with us. It is a pleasure to read that we met your expectations in regards to the standards of the hotel; we hope we can repeat this wonderful experience in the near future.

Best regards from sunny Mexico,

Reviewed December 18, 2012

Stop reading this review and just GO!
This place is great.

ok...if you want to read more...then read on... ;)

Only one negative on this trip....but I am sensitive and get ill from exhaust fumes. I hated the pungant disel exhaust we were forced to breathe with lineup of 10 buses idling at the airport for 1 hour pumping fumes into each other ( even though A/C was off inside the bus and doors open). Transat rep at the airport was a goof and made excuses.
At the hotel this continued, as my only complaint is that the lobby bar ( which is wonderful) gets nauseating when tour buses come and leave their diesel engine running while loading/unloading. The lobby bar is next to the lobby 10 ft away and is open air, so the noise and air pollution was a damper. I asked some buses to turn off their engines - some did.
If the hotel puts up a sign TURN OFF YOUR ENGINES - GUESTS BREATHING ...then I would go back.

Now for the MANY pluses of the place..and there are tonnes :
- it's and adults only resort so no screaming kids & more romantic
- great staff - never once bugged for a tip and always smiling. ( later on we tipped the best ones and trainees as motivation)
- clean, new rooms - so nothing is run down ( only 1 year old)
- food is amazing! Best food of any resort we have been to.
- kudos to staff like Angel who is the best bartender; Claudia at front desk who was accomodating and others. Never had any complaints with staff.
- yes you need to take trolly to beach and other resorts but its not bad and in fact they drop you off in front of beach so you probably walk less than most folks at the other resorts.
- you have full use of other 3 Bahia Principe resorts which are next too each other + you have Sian Kaan reserved beach area for guests with bar.
- you also have use of wellness centre with gym and lap pools. Yoga classes are good there.
- Golf is free but balls are $3 each and rental of cart is $45 + $45 for clubs if needed ( so I am told as I didn't golf)
- there are bikes you can take out including tandem bikes for two. That was fun.
- the beach has catamaran boats you can take out yourself. That was great fun!
- Rooms were clean, new, and wonderful. We got upgraded to Penthouse suite with Jacuzzi which was great to soak in at night and watch the stars.
- beach is nice but a little crowded.
- drinks are yummy - top pics are Margarita's, Mojito, quirkiness and the Cappuccino's.
- a real 5 star resort. The other resorts you have access to but the food and drinks are not as good as the Sian Kaan we found.
- there is WIFI in lobbies so you can Skype home free.

Recommendations:
- some say that the best night shows are Circus and Michael Jackson - we only saw a couple of them.
- book a la carte resaurants once you arrive to get best times. Mexican restaurant is good as is Azul and Asian at Sian Kann. THere are two Japanese restaurants FYI. BUt the buffet is pretty good so don't worry.Buffet has everything from Sushi and caviar to fish and meats, salads galore and great deserts. .
- Don't waste money on tours from your tour guides. DIY tours is cheaper and better we were taught and learned on this trip.
COLLECTIVO transit buses is the best way to travel outside of resort.You can go to Tulum for 30 pesos ( $3) using their transit system which is for employees and tourists and stops on roadside in front of hotel and Hacienda. Its safer than our city transit so don't worry.
Once you get to Tulum its 51 pesos ($5) to get into the ruins plus you can stock around and use the beach instead of being rushed back to the hotel at the end of your tour.
So dont waste $50-100 that the tour agents charge.
Plus you can stay as long as you want.

Another trip is to Akumel beach for great snorkelling with huge turtles and thousands of fishes. This beach is only 10 minutes away and 20 Pesos on COLLECTIVO transit. You can rent snorkels at the beach or at our resort for $15 but you can buy them at Costco back home for $25 and keep for future trips.

We found that taking a taxi to Tulum from the Hotel lobby was $23 but price drops when you get it from the hotel roadside is $5-10 but best is using Collectivo which is $3.

Room Tip: Tip for rooms: Ask for an upgrade when you arrive. Can't hurt to ask. We were there for combined birthday and anniversary trip so they gave us upgrade to Jacuzzi suite which made my day!!!. Thank you!!!
5  Thank CanadaCantravel

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Luxury Gran Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an for your vacation destination.

On behalf of our entire staff it was a pleasure, and we value the opportunity to serve you. We are pleased that you were very satisfied with the food, your Penthouse suite, drinks, service; bicycles and that you had a great time visiting around the area. We will forward your comments to Claudia and Angel, they will be honor to know it they left a good impression on you.

Concerning your point of concern, please be assured that these topics have sent to the management. They take great consideration in ensuring that we continue to provide our guests the attention and services they deserve.

Receive our warmest regards,