Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an
$160
Travelocity
$237
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Que Onda(Akumal)(Great Value!)
$59
Agoda.com
Del Sol Beachfront Hotel(Akumal)(Great Value!)
$88
No availability for your dates from our partners
7,867 results
All reviewsother hotelsalux restaurantcenote snack barpenthouse suitelobby bara la carte restaurantsprivate beachrooftop jacuzzifull length mirrorgala nightdon pablosushi baran adults only resorttrolley ridedinner reservationsnever waited more than minutesbutler service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband and I visited the GBP Sian Ka’an from September 30th to October 7th. We were there to golf and to celebrate our 22nd anniversary. We are a couple in our late 40s. This is our third visit to the GBP complex. We picked Sian Ka’an mainly because of the golf course right across the resort. My husband played the course when we stayed at the GBP Tulum 1 ½ years ago and he was very impressed. As a non golfer who enjoys being close to the beach I was a bit hesitant to book this resort. However I had read positive reviews on the new resort and wanted to try it at least once. After spending a week at the resort I can confidently say that I would go back to the resort without hesitation.

Grounds-The resort is beautiful and well maintained. I loved that the resort is in the jungle. I saw many different animals and exotic bugs. I was glad to have packed mosquito repellent as the rain brought out the mozzies in droves.

Room- We had a third floor suite with a roof top Jacuzzi facing the jungle. Although we did not get a chance to use the Jacuzzi, we liked our private patio for reading and lounging. From our windows we looked out on to the tops of trees and we felt like we lived in a tree house. The suite was spacious and bright. The bathroom was functional and adequate. I found the mattress to be too firm for my liking. I requested a mattress topper after the first night and the topper made a big difference to my comfort level. Our minibar was almost restocked daily. On the days that the minibar was not restocked a quick call to the front desk solved the problem.

Service- Two weeks before we arrived I email Claudia with my a la carte requests and room preference. Claudia emailed me back promptly and confirmed my dinner reservations and acknowledged my room preference (understandably room preference is not guaranteed). We really appreciated the service given prior to our arrival. During our stay we were continually surprised by the excellent service we received by almost everyone. The service at the a la carte restaurants was outstanding (at Sian Ka’an as well as the rest of the complex). Our waiters were attentive and the manager came by often to make sure our wines were topped off and that we were enjoying our meal. The front desk staff although not overly friendly was professional and efficient. I called the front desk a few times with some minor issues and the issues were taken cared of quickly. The beach is the only place where I thought the service was lacking. The bartender seemed uninterested and beach service was rare and inconsistent. We tip for good service and we went through a lot of tip money because the service was that good.

Food- We had dinners at Alux (twice), Maiko, Don Pablo, Le Gourmet, and Dolce Vita. There wasn’t a meal that we did not enjoy. The food was well prepared and delicious. Our salads were fresh and crisp and our soups came piping hot and flavourful. We noted that our steaks were always cooked to our desired doneness. Our seafood was fresh and tasty. My husband tasted many desserts and the only one he did not really care for was a tapioca dessert at Maiko. The apple tart and the chocolate dessert at Don Pablo are must haves!

Drinks- My husband drinks red wine and I drink white wine. My husband found the red house wine to be drinkable while I did not care for the house white wine. I stuck to the house sparkling wine all week. There are 2 types of house sparkling wine- one is dry and one is on the sweet side. We found the blended and mixed drinks to be good.

Golf course- The golf course is the reason why we picked this resort over others. My husband has golfed at courses that are a lot more expensive and are not as nice. He golfed 8 rounds in 7 days and would have golfed more if it wasn’t for rainy periods. He brought his own clubs and plenty of balls. Each round cost him $65 US for the “golf cart”. I met him after his golf rounds a couple of times for drinks in the club house (part of the all inclusive for Sian Ka”an guests). He plans to organize a buddies golf trip to this course next year. Hopefully the golf course continues to keep the “golf cart” fee reasonable.

Beach- The Sian Ka’an section is quite nice. The loungers are new and comfortable. The palapas offer a lot of shade. Unfortunately the nearby sand whales in the water (especially in front of GBP Tulum)are unsightly. The water was surprisingly calm for two days and we were able to take the kayak out.

Tao Wellness Centre- This facility is in real estate development around the golf course. Instead of waiting for the trolley I often just walked there as it only took 10 minutes. The workout equipments are in good working order. From Monday to Saturday there is a yoga or meditation class from 8-9AM and a high energy class such as boot camp or zumba from 9-10AM. These classes are free to guests of the GBP complex. I took a very fun boot camp workout class with Renee. Renee has a lot of personality and energy. He helped me burn off a few calories. The facility is a great additional amenity.

We had a very pleasant vacation at GBP Sian Ka’an. We felt the GBP has really stepped up their game in terms of quality of food and service. Any minor issues were dealt with promptly without inconvenience to us. Although the resort is not on the beach, the positives of the resort out weigh this one negative aspect. The resort will only get better when it becomes adult only next month. Now that we’ve experienced Sian Ka’an we will not stay at the 3 sisters resorts anymore. We will recommend the resort to friends and family without hesitation. We will continue to try new resorts but we will definitely visit GBP Sian Ka’an again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
14  Thank Soarfarandwide
Juan O, Gerente at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Dear Guests:

First of all thank you for trusting once again in Gran Bahia Principe Hotels & Resort and for choosing us to celebrate your 22nd anniversary!

We really appreciate you taking the time to send some valuable comments about your stay with us. The comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are very important to maintain the quality at Gran Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an.

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed the food and drinks, the golf course and the beach at our hotel. Thank you for bringing to our attention your perception about the service at the beach bar, you can however rest assured that we will be giving this matter the proper attention.

We hope to welcome you back at your second home at the Riviera Maya.

Best regards,

Hotel G.B.P. Sian Ka’an

Reviewed October 10, 2012

As the vacation observer, I try to look for positive points and negative points. I try to look at points that would be good for everyone not just for me. Let me start from the beginning. The bellboys: These men are amazing. The bellboys greet you with a smile and are willing to help you to the upmost. The Reception: Upon Check in it is great to be greated by staff with the 'Service a la clientele' of many fine hotels. They are pleased to please and want to make your vacation start off to the best. The Lobby Bar: Morning staff seems to be lacking energy. They make you feel as though you are a handful and are bothering them. Not many smiles and very little service. Late Afternoon and Night Staff: Laura and Zeidy are the a la cremes. Happy, talkative and they light up the lobby. They are a wonderful addition and should be told about the wonderful numero uno service they bring to the clients. Snack Bar. Food was great always fresh, atmosphere very open and warming. Had the Honor of meeting Oscar (well known on TA for his Margaritas) Oscar is full of energy, and should be put somewhere he can bring all is qualities out. Sian Ka'an has a winner here, and should put this winner somewhere he stands out. He gives a glow to the Sian ka'an. The Pool and Pool Bar. Pool is wonderful very clean and very nice. The bar is very cute and well places. Mr Carlos working at this bar is wonderful. He gives 120%. He is fast efficient very serviceable, and tends to great clients and serve clients with style. He is what I call the best he can be. The Buffet: Morning is a hit with Eduardo and Fuestivo. Eduardo is what a Maitre D should be. This guy is out of this world greeting us like Sunshine every morning. Fuestivo is Outstanding. He remembers everything you need and even is ready for you at your table the next morning. Room: Oops.. Beautiful as a room can be, but lacks cleansiness. The Bed is well done with decorations, towels replenished, but a mop might be passed everynow and then. Also the stairs had dead bugs and coffee or pop drippings upon arrival, and were still there when i left. They did not clean the stairs (to the room) all week. The passage ways to the rooms where very dark at night. They do not have any lighting, this makes it difficult to walk to your room and is very dangerous for accidents. Tao: I met a man that was a little bit too overwelming, he was pushing his Tao even if i said i was not interested, and I felt like he was a timesharing salesman. Sitting by the pool in the morning trying to read and relax is very difficult and exhausting because a man is cleaning around that area with a leaf blower (very loud) for more than one hour. The Food: Outstanding, Nothing compares. Guest Services: I have never seen a hotel with Guest Services that don't have the Guest Services. I was walking past a guest service person a couple of times, I said Hi. and they were not able to look, smile, or even say Hi back. Also Guest services should be calling to see if everything is going well if you need anything on your 2nd or 3rd day,, not on the last night. Although they should also be calling on the last night if they have called before. The Beach Bar is very carabean and is a great concept. SPA, is a little pricey but well worth the services.
I would recommend the Sian Ka'an for the person or the couple who is "ZEN".

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
15  Thank Secret O
Juan O, Gerente at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Dear Guest

First of all thank you for trusting in Gran Bahia Principe Hotels & Resort and for choosing us to enjoy your holidays.

We really appreciate you taking the time to send some valuable comments about your stay at our resort. The comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are very important to maintain the quality at Gran Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an.

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed the food, bars and the beach during your stay and really appreciate you mentioning our different department staff, it really incentives and encourages them to keep working and improving day by day, we will forward your comments to the Oscar, Carlos, Eduardo, Faustino, Laura, Zeidi and the rest of our staff.

Also thank you for bringing to our attention the points we can improve, you can be sure that they will be reviewed with the different departments and we will take immediately an appropriate action for every different situation

Once again thank you for your time and comments, hoping to have a second opportunity in a near future to welcome you back at the Riviera Maya.

Receive our warmest regards,

Hotel G.B.P Sian Ka'an

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I absolutely love this resort!!! Spent my 50th birthday at Sian Ka'an and was overwhelmed with the attention given during my stay. Ballons and towel cake art in the room. Champagne and coktails. Staff was wonderful and Claudia was great. tao centre is out of this world. Im going back!!!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank yoyo4me
Juan O, Gerente at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Dear Guest

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your birthday at our resort. It is for guests like you who send us some nice words after their holiday, that our staff finds every day the motivation and energy to keep on the good work.

Looking forward to welcoming you once again at the resort in a very near future!

Best regards from the Riviera Maya,

Public Relations Social Media

*Don't forget to join us at our Facebook “Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts” and share your pictures with us!

Reviewed October 4, 2012

ARRIVAL: Gran Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an is approx 1 hour from the Cancun Airport, with 2 other stops it took us 90 minutes to arrive at the resort. The Sian Ka’an is on the opposite side of the highway from the rest of the GBP properties, surrounded by the Riviera Maya Golf Club. They built a bridge over the highway & shuttles run every 5-15 minutes, depending which property you want to go to.

ROOM: Initially we weren’t happy with our room, as the patio door wouldn’t lock. I called the front desk about changing rooms & was told nothing else was available but the person that brought our bags up called & was able to bring us back to the front desk, at which time they found us another room. We had a basic/simple room, which was small but very clean. I have seen photos of other rooms, which have a couch/sitting area & it would be nice if all rooms had that option. There are very limited drawers for your clothing, along with a cramped closet so we couldn’t even put our suitcases away. The washroom had a single sink, very little counter space & a tile shower stall. There is a vanity mirror, blow dryer & simple toiletries (no conditioner for your hair). Robes & slippers were provided. The air conditioning worked well & we also had two ceiling fans that when they were on caused the blinds to rattle back & forth. The room also had a fridge, with beer, water, soft drinks, a bag of chips & mini chocolate bars that were replenished daily. They provided 2 litre bottles of water, not conducive to carrying around with you. Coffee maker, electronic safe, an umbrella & 27 inch flat screen tv were also in the room. Our room was cleaned daily & we had towel art. We missed having the usual turn down service. There are only two rooms per floor, which made it very quiet.

POOLS: There are 4 pools, one of which is supposed to be the quiet pool. The pools were clean & comfortable. Perhaps too small, as there weren’t mats to float on. Because there are no towel cards, we did notice guests would leave them on their chairs when they left the pool area, which left the otherwise spotlessly clean resort looking messy. The activity pool had music playing & usually awater volleyball game.

BEACH: We took the shuttle to the Sian Ka’an beach area once, which is about a 10 minute ride. The area is roped off for Sian Ka’an guests only & has it’s own bar. There were plenty of palapas & chairs. The area is right beside the jet ski/scuba boat area & we smelt a lot of exhaust. The resort also has large sandbags in the ocean directly in front of the Sian Ka’an beach area.

FOOD/DINING: The food was excellent at the buffet & the two a la carte restaurants. We ate twice at both the Japanese Maiko & Gourmet Alux. Our meals were fantastic, as well as the service. The Portabella mushroom soup is a MUST HAVE Alux! Reservations are required at all a la cartes & we made ours for the week right away. We also went to Coba & Tulum for dinners & taking the tram over was fun. We enjoyed the breakfast &/or lunch at the buffet, always excellent service there was well. There is a 24 hour snack bar by the activity pool, as well as room service.

ENTERTAINMENT/THINGS TO DO: There is a lot to do at Gran Bahia Principe with 4 resorts to chose from but all the “shows” are off the Sian Ka’an property (which was fine with us). A schedule of events is posted at the quiet pool. There is a Hacinda for shopping, disco, several spas & golf. There is WIFI everywhere at the resort-at the pool, lobby & even in your room. We enjoyed two couples massages, both at the Sian Ka’an spa. Green fees at the Riviera Maya Golf Club are included as a guest at Sian Ka’an. We played the 9 hole course & thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. It was $60 for the cart (with GPS) & $25 each to rent our clubs. It took us just under 90 minutes to play, we were the only ones on the course at 9:00 am. The course was immaculate & beautiful. Still challenging for an executive par 3. They also have an 18 hole course (maybe next time!). The clubhouse was fun to relax in after our game, have some beers & nuts & watch some sports on one of the many big screen televisions.

BARS: At Sian Ka’an there is the main lobby bar & they had singers each night to listen to. Of course, you have the use of the other three resort bars as well so the selection is endless.

OTHER: Terrific value for the money & we would definitely consider returning after it changes to adults only next month. The Sian Ka’an property is upscale & quiet compared to the other properties & we always enjoyed returning to the peacefulness of Sian Ka’an at the end of each day (if we had chosen to go elsewhere).

Room Tip: Next time we would consider upgrading to a top floor with outdoor Jacuzzi suite, as they looked beautiful. We always like a top floor room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
14  Thank AlbertaChristiegirl
Juan O, Public Relations Social Media at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear Guest

We really appreciate you taking the time to send some valuable comments about your stay with us. The comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are very important to maintain the quality at Gran Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an and motivate our staff to keep on the good work.

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and hope we can repeat this experience in the near future.

Join us at our Facebook “Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts” and share your pictures with us!

Kind Regards

Reviewed October 3, 2012

This is the first time for our family to visit Mexico, Riviera Maya is the place for those who like to stay away from the crowd in Cancun a little bit which this resort offer excellent food and services. Clean and modern design. I can't name everyone who work here in this resort but everyone of them we meet with from front desk, restaurants, house keeping, public relation desk, bell desk are so friendly and so helpful. This really make our stay become more enjoyable. The Japanese Restaurant Maiko and The International food at Alux is just offer excellent food and amazing art of culinary. Better to make your dinner reservation three weeks before you arrival, formal dinner will require to wear long pant for man. You can go try out other resort restaurant as well but a lot of them have no A/C. The other three resort offer shows at night and dancing you can take a shuttle to other resort or the shopping mall open till 12 midnight and ther eis a disco inside which locate within the complex, Shuttle bus run till 2am and you will never wait for long for the shuttle. The Sian Kaan exclusive area of the private beach is a bit rocky but if you walk further to Tulum resort area it a lot better. Althought tips is really not require within the resort they all provide excellent service but I think all the stuff here do deserve a little extra reward from you. I think staying down this side is earlier for us to advanture and explore Ruins and Cenote. not far to access to Tulum ruins and other theme park and Hidden water world as well. Surely enjoy the stay in Sian Kaan.

Room Tip: We have our garden Junior Suite which is near the Alux Restaurant and the Pool. Very nice with our own private hot tub in our own garden area.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank lorettalingling
Juan O, Public Relations Social Media at Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Dear Guest

We really appreciate you taking the time to send your comments about your stay with us at the Riviera Maya. The comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are very important to maintain the quality at Gran Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope we can welcome you again in the near future.

It will be a pleasure for us if you join us at our Facebook “Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts” and share your pictures with us!

Best regards from sunny Mexico,