“Hoped I'd like it more”

Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We had a very nice time at the resort (and complex). Nothing really terrible, nothing really great - which is why I give it a three. Some people have indicated that the Sian Kaan is new and maybe the staff is working out some bugs. Gran Bahia has been operating for at least a decade at the other resorts on the property and they had the same bugs. I don’t think it’s a new resort issue, I think it’s a management issue.

We spent a week at the Sian Kaan and while we certainly didn't suffer, I'm not sure what all the rave reviews are about. I'll quickly touch on a few topics. There are FOUR resorts at this complex and it is huge. When I refer to a restaurant I will indicate which resort it's at.

Major pros: Lots of options because you have access to four resorts when you stay at the complex. The beach was really wonderful, the a la carte restaurants were good. Guacamole, guacamole, guacamole. Ate it whenever possible.

Major cons: A lot of the restaurants seemed woefully understaffed. Room was not appealing, in the slightest. While they did have guacamole and chips available, most of the time, there was not much in the way of Mexican food at the buffets - and NONE at the Gran Tortuga (Tulum) lunch buffet.

Pools: There were no umbrellas/palapas so there was no place to sit if you want shade. Some people thought the pools were quiet or boring, but we only spent a few hours at the pools because of the Zumba and drinking. Now, I know it's not the hotel's fault that there are drunk people, but the issue I have is that the bartender was encouraging shots of tequila. I was frustrated because I LIKE quiet and boring. And with all those people sitting around shooting tequila, I had to wait quite awhile for a drink. Didn't see a server while I was there. We did spend some time at one of the large pools at Coba (right next to the 24 hour Cenote snackbar) but had to catch the earliest shuttle over because otherwise you could not find a chair.

Beach: LOVED the beach. My husband is not a beach person but we spent 5 of our 6 days at this one. Lots of palapas, wonderful waitstaff, nice that we had an exclusive bar. Never had to wait in line. The only con is that there is only one place near it to get food and the service there (the Gran Tortuga lunch buffet, Tulum) was pretty terrible. Also, the selection was very limited compared to other buffets at the resort.

Restaurants, buffet: The buffet at the Sian Kaan had pretty good food but it was arranged in such a way that there were log jams all the time and no easy flow. My husband got an omelet only once, because he decided it just wasn't worth the 20 minute wait. Why they only have one person making omelets/fried eggs is a mystery to me. Also, dinner appeared to be exactly the same as lunch. They had a nightly theme but the only thing I saw that was different about any of the food was that the little tag, describing the item, was on a card that said "France" on French night. We really were confused as to what was unique about each night - couldn't figure it out.

Restaurants, a la carte: Maiko and Alux (Sian Kaan), Gran Tortuga and Tequila (Tulum). Liked Maiko quite a bit, service and food were both great. Alux - loved the service but the food was just so so. My husband got the pheasant crepes, cartilage and bones, included. We both got soup. Whatever I got was so unremarkable I can’t even remember what it was. Gran Tortuga - if you like meat, you’ll love Gran Tortuga. The turkey was awesome. Complaints - where are the waiters? And it was superhot inside. They turned on the AC just as we were leaving. Tequila - I liked it so much we cancelled our reservation for another restaurant and went there twice. Where was the Mexican food you ask? They had it all at Tequila. The Tacos al Pastor were to die for. I skipped dessert and got another one of those. I had the pork and my husband had the beef, the first night. Both were fantastic. The second night he got shrimp and I got salmon - neither were remarkable.

Room: Huh? That’s all I can say. Our room was very poorly designed. I can’t even describe it properly. It was broken into two sections and we actually had an accordion-type door you could pull closed to separate the sitting area from the sleeping area - you know, for all those parties the other person in your room is having. No wait, when I’m sleeping, he’s sleeping, too. So confused. Because of the partition we had two doors for the bathroom. There really are no dressers - I thought maybe that was a misunderstanding by a reviewer - so what we couldn’t hang up we shoved onto the shelves in the closet. We had a giant table, a counter and a sink in the second room. It just wasn’t comfortable. I think they’re going for modern/sparse but they missed the mark. Really unappealing colors, too. Think murky, mustard and blechy brown.

Service: Everyone was wonderful and helpful, but the restaurants seemed really understaffed. Also, it seemed like no one was responsible for any areas. The staff seemed to roam around and not have sections. Maid service seemed fine and we always had a cute towel creating waiting for us. We had a problem with hot water the first night (as many other people have mentioned) but all it took was one talk with the front desk and it was never a problem again. There were a few mysteries, though. One night, we got a plate of fruit - including a kiwi and something I didn’t recognize, but no knife. Another night we came back to a bottle of red wine and no corkscrew. Despite our do not disturb sign, someone knocked on the door and delivered a plate of chocolate covered strawberries. I didn’t mind the interruption - they were delicious. I asked why and the kid looked totally confused, just a treat from the chef, he said.

5  Thank ciupakd
Write a ReviewReviews (7,704)

Reviewed February 19, 2012

We just returned from Sian Kaan.. It is very quiet compared to the other resorts.
-Pool- They don't really have any activities here, not like they do at the other resorts. My wife just wanted to sit by the pool and read her book, so this was great for her, but I did get a little bored, but we also only spent one day by the pool all day. The other days we were out.
-Beach-We only went to the beach one day as well. The beach is great though. It's fenced off just for sian kaan has a beach bar and is located right behind the dolphins pool..
-Bar-The bar is excellent and you can tell that sian kaan uses better liquor. Be careful with the Blue Lagoons they are very good we couldn't taste any alcohol. Wife and I would get wrecked off of like 4 of these! lol
-Rooms- We LOVED the rooms, very modern and spacious. There is a sliding wall in the middle to divide the bedroom from the rest of the area which was very cool. As for for the bathroom, I had seen people having issues with the water. We turned the water on about 5-10 min before getting in and had zero issues.
-Food- Buffets were excellent! best we've had in Mexico, but it does start to get old. They basically serve the same food everyday for lunch and dinner. They do add and remove a few select items. The last couple days we ate lunch and dinner both days and I noticed was was eating the same thing for every meal! It was good, but needed something different. All my other choices had some type of fish and my wife and I hate fish... We at at at Alux and we loved the steak, and I also liked the mushroom soup. Also ate at Maiko I had the teppenyaki and loved it as well. We didn't make any other reservations because we were busy with tours and going to Akumal Bay, and we heard the buffet was the best option, but we wish we would have tried the other choices.

I would also like to add if your planning on going out and snorkeling on your own, and I recommend going to Akumal Bay It's not even 10 min away via collectivo and only cost 40 pesos for 2 people each direction. Take the trolly to the Hacienda walk through and out to the highway, and you will have a ride in no time. Taxis will compete and take you for maybe 10-20 pesos more. This is actually nice because they will drop you off right at the beach, if you take collectivo they will drop you off at the highway, and you will have around a 10min walk to the beach. If you go here please wear a life jacket! There was a drowning one day while we were there....

9  Thank davemx9
Reviewed February 17, 2012

Sian Ka'an is a fabulous, relaxing hotel. The rooms are simple and unlike some travelers, we did not have issues with the air conditioning. We did have issues with hot water in the shower. It was always cold to freezing and instead of complaining to the front desk, we went in the jacuzzi. The room was otherwise wonderful and the view was fabulous since we overlooked the jungle and not other villas.

The food is pretty good, but I would not classify it as "fabulous" like I've seen others rate. Being in Mexico, there was very little Mexican-influenced foods and if there were, they were unable to be eaten; did not taste good. The lobster tails were about 4" and pan-fried which made them rough and chicken-like texture - Yuck! In general, the seafood did not taste good. The California rolls were good, but it wasn't real sushi and a couple we spoke with said sushi at one of the Sian Ka'an restaurants were awful. You cannot be served an alcoholic beverage before 10:00 am. The Lobby Bar closed at 11:30 pm and guests were complaining about alcohol service. The servers and waiters were very friendly.

We went to the beach about every day. Only one day was sunny, so it was a bummer. The water was beautiful and clear. The beach was always being cleaned, even the seaweed was raked up after the tide was rough. Once you stepped into the water, the rocks covered the ocean floor and it hurt to walk in the water. People were trying to balance on smooth rocks, older people avoided the water completely, and others got hurt attempting to walk in the water. There are wave-breakers in the water. I do not recommend standing on them. Sitting on them, climbing on them, fine. People who stood on them almost always fell and were hurt. There are servers that came up to us and we ordered drinks; sometimes it was faster getting them yourself. There's activities at the beach; volleyball, zumba, yoga, and others. The resort has dolphins to swim with, scuba, snorkeling, para-sailing, and others.

The reason I'm not recommending this resort for children is because there are few play areas for kids and granted, kids are often happy with water and sand. I'd recommend it most for people who want to relax most of the vacation and don't want the noisy spring-breakers (college kids) or children around.

Room Tip: Facing the jungle, away from viewing other villas. West facing room is better for sleep quality.
9  Thank 19Christina89
Reviewed February 17, 2012

My husband and I recently returned from a 1 week stay at the Bahia Principe Sian Kaan. We have stayed in Mexico many times and I must say the resort was spectacular. We were nervous about staying off the beach, but we are golfers and thought we would give it a try. The resort is very contemporary and clean. The gardens are beautiful! There are several pools on the property and a private area on the beach across the street at the main resort that is a 5 minute trolley ride away. We never had to wait more than a few minutes. The private beach has lots of pallapas and a waitress. It was on the nicest stretch of the Bahia beach stretch. The golf was fabulous! If you have a chance to golf the course, do it! It is worth it. We brought our own clubs, but they do rent high quality clubs if you don't want to carry yours. The food was excellent and because we were off the beach, we were able to make reservations every night at restaurants throughout the complex. I highly recommend both the gourmet restaurant at the Sian Kaan and at the Coba. They were superb! The resort is a little more low key than others we have stayed at; more of an adult crowd but if you are looking for a party atmosphere you can go across the street to the Bahia main complex. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The rooms were very large with two rooms (living area/bedroom area). We very much enjoyed our stay and would stay here again!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
11  Thank Dawn K
Reviewed February 17, 2012

Just returned from a one week stay at Sian Ka'an. The resort is absolutely wonderful! There isn't a thing we'd change about the resort. The shuttle rides people speak about run in a timely manner. The longest we waited was about 15 mins. There are shuttles that run constantly between the Sk and the beach, and Sk and the 3 other resorts. Once you figure out how to get around the various resorts, you can take those shuttles to get to the beach, if you're willing to walk a couple of hundred metres to the beach. The beach is nice - can be busy but nice. We would go to the beach early in the morning to avoid the crowds. Once it got too busy for our liking, we headed back to the pool at SK.

Our room was perfectly fine. They could use a dresser though. We used the shelf our tv was on to pile clothes. We were located in the new section by the sushi bar pool. A very quiet location. It's away from the main lobby. The sushi bar and pool is a hidden gem that has not been discovered by most other patrons of the resort. Condo numbers 27 - 36 are located in this section. It's also the section closest to the golf course if that's your thing. There are no hot tub suites in this section.

The food was very good. The breakfast buffet was something we looked forward to every day. Starting your day with champagne and OJ while on vacation was great!

Pool bars and service is very good. The buffet lunch at the Centro (by the main pool) was something we enjoyed every day.

The a la carte restaurants we ate at we lovely. some better than others but all of it quite good.

Counting down the days until we can return.

Happy to answer any questions on: http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g499445-i9177-k4974944-o30-Gran_Bahia_Principe_Sian_Kaan_Don_Pablo-Akumal_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
18  Thank briluey
Reviewed February 16, 2012

My husband and I spent my monumental birthday celebration in early February at Sian Ka'an resort. I am a travel agent and have done many site inspections and had resort stays at various all inclusives in the Caribbean. I will say that Sian Ka'an is among the best resorts overall and is a great value currently, though I would expect pricing to increase in the future. As a brand new resort, Sian Ka'an has alot of positives going for it, including fanastic customer service, great food quality with ample variety, top of the line drinks and suites with plenty of room and amenities. Claudia, manager of guest relations, is superb at special requests, such as romantic birthday dinners and making ala carte restaurant reservations. I would recomend contacting her to ensure that any specific needs are taken care of promptly. The property itself was lush with landscaping, giving it a more seclusive feel than many other all inclusives and the buildings are bright and modern with 3 suite options, two of which include a outdr. hottub. Alux, the on site ala carte, is exclusive to only Sian Ka'an clients, offers quality multi-course dinners in a quiet environment. The pools were clean, though cool in February, and staff was constantly working at improving the grounds and service. Exclusive Sian Ka'an beach area was small but had fantastic drink service at the palapas and the actual beach was well groomed, although there were a few areas in the water which were rocky. Overall, the exclusive service at Sian Ka'an was what set it apart from other all inclusives. We had a very relaxing stay, though too short, and i do plan on recommending this resort for clients who wish to have superior service in a quiet, peaceful environment. I hope this helps make your decision a bit easier.

Room Tip: We had suite 41623, a penthouse suite with rooftop hottub, it faced the jungle and was located in a...
14  Thank klspac
Reviewed February 15, 2012

Just returned from one week's stay and the resort is fabulous!!!

Travelled 2 adults and 2 children (8 and 10). We have stayed at some great resorts previously (Royal PDC, Royal Hideaway, Excellence RC, Valentin, Grand Palladium White Sands). We are pretty picky and can honestly say that the SK is a definately few steps up from the rest of the complex. Beautiful rooms, great good, fabulous service!

The grounds are gorgeous and meticulously maintained. I was pleasantly surprised that for a new resort, the vegetation is quite lush - I was expecting tiny baby plants but such is not the case.

ROOMS: I emailed Claudia in advance of our arrival and because we were travelling with 4 people, asked if we could have one of the larger junior suites with a real pullout sofa AND the sliding wall - and we got it. Gorgeous room and the sliding door was great to allow some privacy and to allow the kids a quieter and sleeping area since they crash much earlier than we do. The pullout sofa was in great condition and very comfortable for them. NOTE: There ARE blackout BLINDS (not drapes) so sunlight still slips through the sides of the blinds - hence my kids would wake up at the crack of dawn around 6:15AM !!!! For us adults it wasn't a problem BUT if you require complete darkness to sleep, it may be an issue. Also when the sliding door is closed, the TV is on the bedroom side of the room, so it wasn't possible for the kids to watch TV and let us parents sleep for another hour or so.....oh well...Bathroom initially seemed small but ended up working fine for us. The room itself is also adequate in size. For future visits I would definately book the ground floor garden rooms which would allow outside access from the bedroom as well - if we wanted to sit on the balcony we had to quiety slip through the sliding doors in the kids sleeping/living area.

FOOD: The food both buffet and restaurant at the SK was far far superior over the rest of the complex. It was wonderful having breakfast or lunch buffet in a smaller more intimate room rather than buffetting and standing in line with hundreds of people. Initially the selection looked minimal, but in reality it had everything you could possibly want AND the eggs are all made to order as well as pancakes, crepes, waffles, etc. We never felt that anything was missing and the experience was extremely pleasant. *** We didn't realize until the last 2 days, but taking the tram back to the SK from the beach FOR LUNCH is definately the way to go and well worth the extra few minutes of travel time - food far superior than at any of the other complex buffets.

POOLS: The SK pools are gorgeous - glass tiles lining the pools, comfortable temperature and adequate number of chairs and such....but very quiet during the day when the families and kids are out at the beach....got louder when the families would return around 3 or 4PM.

BEACH: The SK exclusive beach was terrific. Very comfortable loungers, plenty of them, drink service and a bar just steps away, tons of palapas/shade. Gorgeous stretch of beach with some rocks but plenty of areas to enter the ocean without rocks - did not pose a problem at all. Yes there are "whales" in the water and kids seemed to enjoy climbing them, jumping or sliding off - again no issues about this. The tram service to the beach was perfect - never had to wait more than a couple of minutes (less probably) and a quick and pleasant ride.

ENTERTAINMENT: SK always had their house band play at night. Around 8PM there would always be something for the kids - kids music, balloons, etc. Lovely outdoor candlelit table atmosphere and great drink service. We also took in some shows at the other resorts as well - Tulum, Akumal, etc.

KIDS CLUBS: My kids preferred the kids club at the Tulum complex because they liked the outdoor/palapa setting. Not many kids unfortunately and predominantly non-english speaking (probably due to the time of year we travelled) BUT my 8 year old daughter who always prefers to be around other kids had no issues with it and would get upset when I would pick her up. My 10 year old son would come and go depending on the activity. Teresa who runs the club was wonderful. My only beef with the kids club was that they didn't always stick to the schedule OR they didn't execute the activity at all (excuse was due to lack of kids).....but I guess that is understable. Not the best of kids clubs we have ever experienced compared to other resorts, but adequate. They always had something at 8PM in the Tulum lobby as well for kids - kids disco, etc. There are THREE kids clubs (Akumal, Coba and Tulum) and I am wondering that if they would reduce it to ONE then all the kids would be condensed into ONE kids club and it all might work better.

RESTAURANTS: Because we stayed at SK we were able to get a reservation for every night. I emailed Claudia in advance of our arrival and therefore arrived with all our reservations in place. We were very happy with the food quality of all our choices.

POOLS: Visited several pools and all were lovely and clean. Water a bit cold for me, but fine for my kids. Lounge chairs get reserved early, but if you aren't picky, if you arrive by 9:30AM you should still be able to get something. A few times, we took "reserved" chairs for ourselves - those with only towels on them and no personal belongings....and in most cases people never returned. Only once people came back and we politely moved and gave them back their chairs. Problem is that many people will abandon their chairs WITH THE TOWELS (instead of returning the used towels) so you aren't quite sure if some chairs are occupied or simply abandoned.

RESORT SIZE: This is most defiantely the largest resort we have ever been to!!!! Yes, if you stay in the SK you will be dependant on the tram service, but quite frankly, even if you stay on any other three resorts, you will equally be dependant on the tram......was a bit of a pain trying to get from point A to point B, but not a big issue and nothing that would prevent us from returning.....you just have to remind yourself that you are on VACATION and therefore aren't on any "schedule". I laughed at myself once as I was charging to catch a train...only to realize that I am not in Toronto anymore trying to catch a bus or cab...LOL.

GOLF: My husband and son played golf twice. First the 9 hole/3par course for $35 pp. The second time the 18 hole course....regularly $80pp but if you tee-off after 1PM it was only $55 and they really enjoyed it and said it was quite challenging.

CLAUDIA: Great service. We booked our trip last minute. I sent her an email with our room and restaurant preferences, completely expecting that she wouldn't have the time to read and react before our arrival - and she shocked me by getting it all done!!!! AND then she even called upon our arrival to ensure that we were satisfied with everything.......that is amazing service!!!!!

All in all it was a great family vacation. The Sian Kaan is a gorgeous resort that provides guests with the added level of luxury and pampering that many might look for in a smaller more intimate feel and sized resort BUT still offering a vast array of amenities of a larger resort.

Is it great for a family with young kids? - not sure.......while my kids are still small, there is nothing like a true one bedroom suite with blackout DRAPES as we have experienced at other resorts (and which none of the GBP resorts offer)......but it was still a fab trip.

I wouldn't be surprised however, if one day, the SK becomes an adult only complex. I was very self conscious to keep my kids quiet all the time - when in the room with the sliding doors open, by the pool if everyone else was quiet, or even sitting on the balcony.....no one requested it, but the overall feel of the resort felt more "adult-like".

But as a family resort, it offers the kids everything that they may be looking for in a "fun" vacation by experiencing all the amenities of the Tulum, Akumal and Coba - and at the same time, the SK provides the adults/parents with the added level of luxury that they may be looking for in a vacation......meeting both kids and adult needs.

I highly recommend enjoying this resort, especially before the prices go up.....cause they will I would imagine!

If I have missing anything don't hesitate to PM me with your questions.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Garden JR suite with terrace and jacuzzi OR the penthouse JR for the extra room and adequ...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family