“Great family vacation” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Toronto, Canada
“Great family vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

Just returned from one week's stay and the resort is fabulous!!!

Travelled 2 adults and 2 children (8 and 10). We have stayed at some great resorts previously (Royal PDC, Royal Hideaway, Excellence RC, Valentin, Grand Palladium White Sands). We are pretty picky and can honestly say that the SK is a definately few steps up from the rest of the complex. Beautiful rooms, great good, fabulous service!

The grounds are gorgeous and meticulously maintained. I was pleasantly surprised that for a new resort, the vegetation is quite lush - I was expecting tiny baby plants but such is not the case.

ROOMS: I emailed Claudia in advance of our arrival and because we were travelling with 4 people, asked if we could have one of the larger junior suites with a real pullout sofa AND the sliding wall - and we got it. Gorgeous room and the sliding door was great to allow some privacy and to allow the kids a quieter and sleeping area since they crash much earlier than we do. The pullout sofa was in great condition and very comfortable for them. NOTE: There ARE blackout BLINDS (not drapes) so sunlight still slips through the sides of the blinds - hence my kids would wake up at the crack of dawn around 6:15AM !!!! For us adults it wasn't a problem BUT if you require complete darkness to sleep, it may be an issue. Also when the sliding door is closed, the TV is on the bedroom side of the room, so it wasn't possible for the kids to watch TV and let us parents sleep for another hour or so.....oh well...Bathroom initially seemed small but ended up working fine for us. The room itself is also adequate in size. For future visits I would definately book the ground floor garden rooms which would allow outside access from the bedroom as well - if we wanted to sit on the balcony we had to quiety slip through the sliding doors in the kids sleeping/living area.

FOOD: The food both buffet and restaurant at the SK was far far superior over the rest of the complex. It was wonderful having breakfast or lunch buffet in a smaller more intimate room rather than buffetting and standing in line with hundreds of people. Initially the selection looked minimal, but in reality it had everything you could possibly want AND the eggs are all made to order as well as pancakes, crepes, waffles, etc. We never felt that anything was missing and the experience was extremely pleasant. *** We didn't realize until the last 2 days, but taking the tram back to the SK from the beach FOR LUNCH is definately the way to go and well worth the extra few minutes of travel time - food far superior than at any of the other complex buffets.

POOLS: The SK pools are gorgeous - glass tiles lining the pools, comfortable temperature and adequate number of chairs and such....but very quiet during the day when the families and kids are out at the beach....got louder when the families would return around 3 or 4PM.

BEACH: The SK exclusive beach was terrific. Very comfortable loungers, plenty of them, drink service and a bar just steps away, tons of palapas/shade. Gorgeous stretch of beach with some rocks but plenty of areas to enter the ocean without rocks - did not pose a problem at all. Yes there are "whales" in the water and kids seemed to enjoy climbing them, jumping or sliding off - again no issues about this. The tram service to the beach was perfect - never had to wait more than a couple of minutes (less probably) and a quick and pleasant ride.

ENTERTAINMENT: SK always had their house band play at night. Around 8PM there would always be something for the kids - kids music, balloons, etc. Lovely outdoor candlelit table atmosphere and great drink service. We also took in some shows at the other resorts as well - Tulum, Akumal, etc.

KIDS CLUBS: My kids preferred the kids club at the Tulum complex because they liked the outdoor/palapa setting. Not many kids unfortunately and predominantly non-english speaking (probably due to the time of year we travelled) BUT my 8 year old daughter who always prefers to be around other kids had no issues with it and would get upset when I would pick her up. My 10 year old son would come and go depending on the activity. Teresa who runs the club was wonderful. My only beef with the kids club was that they didn't always stick to the schedule OR they didn't execute the activity at all (excuse was due to lack of kids).....but I guess that is understable. Not the best of kids clubs we have ever experienced compared to other resorts, but adequate. They always had something at 8PM in the Tulum lobby as well for kids - kids disco, etc. There are THREE kids clubs (Akumal, Coba and Tulum) and I am wondering that if they would reduce it to ONE then all the kids would be condensed into ONE kids club and it all might work better.

RESTAURANTS: Because we stayed at SK we were able to get a reservation for every night. I emailed Claudia in advance of our arrival and therefore arrived with all our reservations in place. We were very happy with the food quality of all our choices.

POOLS: Visited several pools and all were lovely and clean. Water a bit cold for me, but fine for my kids. Lounge chairs get reserved early, but if you aren't picky, if you arrive by 9:30AM you should still be able to get something. A few times, we took "reserved" chairs for ourselves - those with only towels on them and no personal belongings....and in most cases people never returned. Only once people came back and we politely moved and gave them back their chairs. Problem is that many people will abandon their chairs WITH THE TOWELS (instead of returning the used towels) so you aren't quite sure if some chairs are occupied or simply abandoned.

RESORT SIZE: This is most defiantely the largest resort we have ever been to!!!! Yes, if you stay in the SK you will be dependant on the tram service, but quite frankly, even if you stay on any other three resorts, you will equally be dependant on the tram......was a bit of a pain trying to get from point A to point B, but not a big issue and nothing that would prevent us from returning.....you just have to remind yourself that you are on VACATION and therefore aren't on any "schedule". I laughed at myself once as I was charging to catch a train...only to realize that I am not in Toronto anymore trying to catch a bus or cab...LOL.

GOLF: My husband and son played golf twice. First the 9 hole/3par course for $35 pp. The second time the 18 hole course....regularly $80pp but if you tee-off after 1PM it was only $55 and they really enjoyed it and said it was quite challenging.

CLAUDIA: Great service. We booked our trip last minute. I sent her an email with our room and restaurant preferences, completely expecting that she wouldn't have the time to read and react before our arrival - and she shocked me by getting it all done!!!! AND then she even called upon our arrival to ensure that we were satisfied with everything.......that is amazing service!!!!!

All in all it was a great family vacation. The Sian Kaan is a gorgeous resort that provides guests with the added level of luxury and pampering that many might look for in a smaller more intimate feel and sized resort BUT still offering a vast array of amenities of a larger resort.

Is it great for a family with young kids? - not sure.......while my kids are still small, there is nothing like a true one bedroom suite with blackout DRAPES as we have experienced at other resorts (and which none of the GBP resorts offer)......but it was still a fab trip.

I wouldn't be surprised however, if one day, the SK becomes an adult only complex. I was very self conscious to keep my kids quiet all the time - when in the room with the sliding doors open, by the pool if everyone else was quiet, or even sitting on the balcony.....no one requested it, but the overall feel of the resort felt more "adult-like".

But as a family resort, it offers the kids everything that they may be looking for in a "fun" vacation by experiencing all the amenities of the Tulum, Akumal and Coba - and at the same time, the SK provides the adults/parents with the added level of luxury that they may be looking for in a vacation......meeting both kids and adult needs.

I highly recommend enjoying this resort, especially before the prices go up.....cause they will I would imagine!

If I have missing anything don't hesitate to PM me with your questions.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Garden JR suite with terrace and jacuzzi OR the penthouse JR for the extra room and adequ...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
18 Thank smittygirl1966

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,697)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

My husband and I travelled here from Feb 1-Feb8/12. We arrived quite late after 2.5 hrs getting through customs (which isn't normal) and the ppl at the front desk were courteous and fast and brought us a lovely welcome drink.
Oscar at the lobby bar will make your trip! He is always smiling and makes the best margaritas.
The rooms are upscale and modern. We had a small villa on the golf course side and it was perfect for the two of us. I would like to request that they have a dresser or something to put your suitcase on as they only had the closets and we had to leave our suitcases on the floor. Other than that, the room was great, clean and the bar was stocked - well with beer and scotch anyways. The shower was fine once you figure out that the temperatures go the opposite way. haha
The guy who goes around with the bug fog at around 5 every day is a bit brutal. It's nasty if you're out walking around. Make sure you're in your room for this.

it is definitely a quite resort as everyone says - sometimes that was welcome, but at other times, it was too quiet. The instrumental Guns and Rose and Van Halen music was a bit much after a while. Would have preferred something a bit more upbeat. My husband and I are in our early 30's and while we loved the resort, and had a good time, I don't think we would go back. We prefer something with a bit more atmosphere and energy. Unfortunately there wasn't much for atmosphere and aside from the staff and the location, this could have been a resort anywhere. It didn't feel as much like Mexico as other places we've stayed.

A big plus for them is the trolley system - this works so great and with the private beach, it's not an issue to be on the other side of the highway. You're never more than 10 minutes from anywhere on the resort.

6 Thank jrabbit44
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

We just returned from a week at the Sian Ka'an and had an awesome time. Here are a few pros and cons to share:

Claudia, Thank you for all of your work! We e-mailed her in advance to schedule our dinners and t-times and she was prompt to respond and upon arrival we had further confirmation. She didn't miss one detail!

Rooms: We stayed in a suite, top floor in building 15. Very nice size and quiet. However, no dresser drawers or shelving to put your clothes. You could hang them, but not enough hangers. Otherwise, the room was clean and cared for daily. If you don't like thick pillows, bring your own. They didn't have anything but the new high fill pillows.

Food/Service: Faustino was the best! He immediately learned from our arrival what we liked and made sure we were cared for. Upon arrival each morning for breakfast he made sure we had our capuchino's and double espressos. Oscar at the bar made drinks just the way you like. The staff was friendly and always willing to make you comfortable or get you what you needed. The buffett provided wonderful fresh fish and variety. Great chocolate in the evening. Don Pablo's at Talum was excellent, the beef was so tender and perfectly cooked. The Maiko was delicious, we ate there twice. The scallops melted in your mouth. The Alux, we felt, was not worth it, we thought the buffett provided tastier options.

Golf: Fantastic course. The greens weren't pristine but the fairways fast and the undulations made it a challenge to play. The only thing that was odd was we were not allowed to check in earlier then 1/2 prior to our t-time, which meant you had a 1/2 hour for putting/pitching and using the driving range plus get back to the starter. Maybe for some that's O.K. but if the time is stamped on our ticket for t-time, it's the starters responsibility not to let us on sooner. But the club house was unreasoning on this. We did enjoy the lunch menu and bar selection at the club house. You can enjoy the drink cart, you have to pay for the beer.

Recommendations: Bring bug repellent and an umbrella.

6 Thank lifeisgreat11
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

My friend and I visited Sian Ka'an from 2/5-2/10, 2012. It was such an amazing trip, from the moment we felt the relaxed upscale vibe at Sian Ka'an and took in the beautiful and tasteful zen-like decor. I wish I was there right now. Our room was 2nd floor by the small quiet pool and we loved it. Besides wanting some patio furniture, not one complaint. We are in our mid-30's and came together for a 'girls' trip, so we were looking for relaxation and calm rather than partying and a loud scene. Although I think this resort might as well be adult only, the few children we saw were quiet and not the screaming variety. There was a mixed crowd however we saw mostly people our age or older and at least by our pool there was no attempts at drinking games or anything we would have found annoying. Again, that is what we wanted and I think the other pools at Sian Ka'an were more lively with some activities and more of a party vibe. We enjoyed the spa one day and lounged around the resort by the pool, and other days walked to the beach (yes, you can walk and depending on your pace will get there in 15-30 minutes) and took the trolley back to eat. We found Sian Ka'an's buffet to be better than the others although we only tried Tulum once and that was enough. We also took the colectivo (outrageously easy and not at all a big deal - save your money and get on these things) to Akumal and Half Moon Bay down the highway to see turtles and have one lunch outside of the resort (the beach restaurant at Half Moon Bay was fantastic).

Food/A la cartes: Don Pablo was by far our favorite, Arlequin was excellent as well, Sian Ka'an's Alux was very nice. However, the Mediteranean restaurant was horrendous. Service was fine but the food was just inedible. We couldn't get a reservation at the Mexican restaruant although I bet we could have just gone and tried b/c none of the restaurants seemed full. As a vegetarian, I requested this be listed when I made reservations. At some of the restaurants (Don Pablo, Alux), someone came up to me and checked in about what I wanted/needed. I found this to be part of top notch individualized service in this huge mega-resort. We ate delicious breakfasts at Sian Ka'an as well as lunches. Snack bar food was edible but nothing special, although the chips/guacomole dip were good.

The grounds are beautiful and you can see a variety of birds, butterflies, plants, and animals. The snorkeling at the beach was only so-so although I knew that going in. I am glad they are saving coral by roping it off but its too bad tourists cannot be trusted or educated to see the coral without damaging it. Even at Akumal Bay, outside of the resort, where sea turtles are pretty easy to spot, people go on chasing them around to touch them despite signs that say not to. Not sure what to do about this but place more signs?!?

Anyway, we ended up not going to the disco except for popping our heads in. It may just have been the type of trip we were on and our mood, but it seemed a bit corny for us. Again, we were not in the partying mode and could have probably preferred salsa lessons/low key dancing over the club. We never seemed to find some of the activities we would have enjoyed, so if there was some way to get a master list of all of the planned activities on all 4 resorts it would seem more accessible. For instance, at another resort one night (who knows which one, they start to look the same) a small outdoor dance thing started. The employees were trying to get everyone up dancing but the music was not our style - techno. So we said we want to dance Salsa or Bachata and the guy said "that was last night, you lose!". I may have tried to stop by the night before to check that out but I guess if you are not staying there it is difficult to know about the smaller shows. They advertise the bigger shows like the michael jackson thing.

Overall I fell in love with Sian Ka'an. The only times I wished we were on the beach was early morning/late afternoon when I would have liked to see the sunrise/set or try out snorkeling at better times. I could have made it happen but was lazy :) I prefer their decor, mood and vibe, over the other resorts. The beach area for Sian Ka'an is central and wonderful, and you have choices to walk away from people or head 5 minutes down the highway if you want a different scene. Thank you to Oscar and Paloma, who made the trip even more special.

Room Tip: Didn't see 3rd floor; 2nd floor no patio furniture, 1st floor furniture w/out privacy. If you st...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank eblana1
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

Our trip was from Jan 30 - Feb 06, 2012. Although the weather wasn't cooperating, everything else was superb. From the amazing buffet to access to 3 other sister resorts a la cartes, you never tired of the food. This resort is the most quiet of the 4, which I quite enjoyed. If you wanted more fun and excitement it was just a short trolley ride to the beach and the other resorts. There is access to something for everyone and I highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank MrsSully1959
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

Just returned from a week at this luxurious resort. Compared to the several other AI resorts we have been to this one ranks the best by far in terms of quality of food and service.

Rooms: We had a Junior Suite in villa 12B on the 3rd floor overlooking one of the pool areas.
The room was more than adequate in size for 2 people, with a comfortable king size bed, and a large balcony with chairs and table. Nice bathroom with great shower.We had no issues at all with hot water and air-conditioning as had previously been mentioned in earlier reviews. Room was cleaned thoroughly daily and mini-bar replenished. Note: The second floor rooms in these villas have only small french balconies with no patio furniture, and main floor rooms would lack privacy as close to the main pathways. As there are no elevators, the 3rd floor rooms obviously require walking up and down a stairway - we were ok with this as it provided some exercise to burn off some calories from all the food and drink - lol - however obviously not an option for those with mobility issues.

Food: We had no problem booking our a-la-cartes on arrival. We chose Alux and Maiko on site (Both outstanding), and Le Gourmet, Don Pablo, and Tortuga which were at the Tulum and Coba resorts. All were very good, the Tortuga ranked the lowest of the 5 but worth trying just for the succulent beef and chicken on the Brazilian skewers. We ate breakfast everyday at the Sian Kaan buffet and it was excellent, and we also had dinner at this buffet for 2 of our 7 nights. The first night was International and it was fantastic with succulent grilled lobster and prawns, and they even had a Mariachi band serenading tables. We also wanted to try their Mexican theme night on the Thursday, as we had enjoyed this so much at a Cancun resort we had stayed at previously, and this was our only disappointment of our stay. There was no entertainment at all, no special Mexican theme at all in the food that we could notice. My guess is that all the bands were playing at the Mexican Fiesta at the Hacienda that night. My suggestion to the Sian Kaan would be to make their Mexican theme night some other night of the week, and book the Mariachi band for that night, and have Tequilla tasting and more Mexican dishes available.

Beach and Pools: Trollies transport you to the Sian Kaan private beach area. Very comfortable loungers and plenty of areas for shade. Level of service at this beach was outsanding - we could not possibly keep pace with ordering drinks everytime they came by asking if we wanted a drink. Never before experienced this at other AI's. Actual beach was not the best we have seen, but still nice with few rocky areas and relatively calm waters to swim in. How can you complain? We tried some of the pool areas at Tulum and Akumel resorts, but much preferred the relatively quiet and peaceful pools at Sian Kaan, again with superb bar service.

Other Activities: We took the Collectivo on separate days to Tulum and Playa del Carmen.
Highly recommend this form of transportation, as it is far less expensive than taxis or tours
(only 30 pesos each for the Collectivo), and is safe and fast - never had to wait for one. Just a short pleasant walk from the resort along the golf course to the main highway 307 to catch them. We loved Tulum beach - a must to bring your bathing suit if visting these ruins to swim at this spectacular setting. These ruins are especially historical as they are the site of the first encounter of the Mayans with the Spaniards in 1508 - a sad day for the Mayan culture to be sure, but historical nonetheless. We also spent part of a day at Playa del Carmen. Also has a beautiful beach and worth seeing. Walking 5th avenue can be a bit annoying with the aggressive sales guys - we did our shopping at one of the mega stores on this strip which was hassle free and good prices. (Note: For Canadians they accept $CDN same as $US - all prices in $US, I paid in $CDN and got $US in change. Also noticed that Playa had the best exchange rates for $CDN to Pesos - at least 12 to 1, some higher and some gave better exchange rates for $CDN than $US.) We also spent one morning checking out the beautiful golf course at the resort. For $10 you get unlimited balls to hit on a lush practice facility which includes high end clubs rental. You also get free drinks at the clubhouse - they will ask you to sign a bill with your room# - don't worry, this is only for cross charging and your room will not be charged for this.

Lobby Bar: Premium drinks served at this bar in a comfortable relaxing atmosphere. Again, superior service. Nighly entertainment varies from band that plays various 60s/70s/80s type music, to another night with disco stero playing. We enjoyed spending before and after dinner time here. Oh yeah, before I forget, make sure you order at least one Margarita from Oscar at this bar. The best I have ever had by far and not to be missed. Ingredients from what I could observe were top shelf Don Julio tequila, Grand Marnier, lime juice, and some other ingredient I could not make out. And all served with a big smile - to be sure he is no grouch like I have encountered so many other times at other resort lobby bars. This sums up all the staff at this wonderful resort - great service with a smile.

In summary, would highly recommend this resort for those that want a quiet and relaxing holiday with great food, premium drinks, and quality service. If only this resort was right on the beach it would be perfect. Although the trollies run regularly, we did find it a little tiring toward the end of our stay to be be taking these everytime you want to go to the beach or to the other resorts for dinner or drinks. Also think they got it wrong not making this an adult only resort. In spite of this, I still rate it a solid 5*, with some room for improvement as already noted. We are a couple in our 50s that prefer it on the quiet side, so you can judge our comments accordingly.

12 Thank jbmckenzie
Jupiter, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

We have traveled and stayed at Bahia Principe Tulum numerous times. We found a very good deal on their new property which is across the road off the beach, Sian Kaan. The room was clean and okay, They did make a beautiful towel design each day. I expected a bit more for a new resort. Not enough storage for clothes and our bathroom sink would not drain well. They upgraded us to a garden suite with a Jacuzzi out back that sat directly under a tree that dropped numerous berries of some sort into it , not a pleasure to have to clean the hot tub every time you want to use it.The food at Alux and the Japenese restaurant were not that good, the buffet was the better choice. The service was excellant as it has always been. I would go back to Bahia Tulum but I would not consider going back to Sian Kaan. Make sure to visit Akumal Beach, we took our snorkeling gear, if you don't have any you can rent it from the Akumal Dive shop and also rent a locker there,and saw sea turtles , it was beautiful. Also had lunch a bit down the road in Akumal at La Buena Vida, beautiful view and great food.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Doreen609
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#67 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,396 reviews

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!