“AMAZING BEAUTIFUL & GREAT PLACE”

Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed January 25, 2012

the place is crazy, very beautiful, the people was fantastic!!!!and the FOOD is too good.On buffet you have seafood, sushi, desert fantastic.I never eat at this place is very very very good.If you a chance for go there, go is the best trip a go in my life.

4  Thank melanie o

Reviewed January 24, 2012

Me and my wife just returned from Sian Ka'an the week of Jan 15,met some wonderful people from Canda and Minnesota,Wisconsin,resort is not made for people in wheelchairs or use scooters,we had first floor room but it was still a 6" step into room I had to lift scooter into room,ask front dest if they had a ramp they did not. cant fit scooter on any of the trams,and one night they took us to the Hacienda and didnt pick us up,I had to flag done another bus to take us back. Room ,food and drinks were great, Also long tram rides to beach and other resturants.

6  Thank stevez1955
Reviewed January 24, 2012

We have been to both Tulum and Coba and they were both lovely but we totally enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere of this resort. The room and grounds were very peaceful and relaxing. We never enjoyed such good food. I read a review of how awful the food was and I cannot grasp where they were eating. The food was fresh with plenty of choices for everyone, especially enjoyed the lobster tails and the excellent service and presentation. The two a la carte on site were deliscious. Neither my husband or I golf but those we heard talking of the facilities sounded very impressed. We tend not to go to a place twice but I sure could be tempted to return. We also enjoyed always finding a chaise lounge on the beach regardless of when we showed up and the shuttle service was great. All in all I would say this was one of our best overall al inclusive experience :-)

Room Tip: We were facing the jungle on the top floor and found it to be quiet and nicely located
Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
17  Thank Joanne L
Reviewed January 22, 2012

We have stayed at The Gran Bahia's Tulum in the past and loved it but just had the chance to try Sian Ka'an this trip and boy were we happy with it! It is wonderfully landscaped and laid out with spacious well appointed rooms. It is very quiet and nestled in the jungle. Just a beautiful relaxing setting. There is a beautiful golf course but we didn't play so I can't comment more on that. The food was outstanding and the buffet well stocked at all times with a huge variety of items. Liquors were top shelf brands and the service superb. Our stay began with the helpful Claudia who went out of her way to make sure our stay was wonderful. While this resort is not right on the beach there is a shuttle that takes you to an exclusive beach just for Sian Ka'an guests about every 5 minutes. You may also go to any of the other 3 Bahia resort's beaches and facilities (buffets, gyms, etc.) as well. All in all exceeded our expectations and we had a fantastic time - we will return next year!

14  Thank 62RKE
Reviewed January 22, 2012

I just got back from our 5 day trip here- jan 15-20th. We booked through cheapcaribbean.com it was a great deal. What i didn't know about this resort is that it's ALL all-inclusive- for everyone. There is no option. So this was new to us. The downside to this...the food. There are 4 hotels on this resort- all connected by shuttles. I believe the Sian Ka'an is the newest, mainly built for residences, and is the most exclusive. Anyways, for breakfast and lunch, the only thing available is the open buffets at each location (sian ka'an, coba, akumal, and tulum). They have a huge selection of food but they are all AWFUL! believe me, i read as many reviews as i could about this place before going but did not see anyone saying how awful the buffet food was. We were HIGHLY disappointed. Not only was the food extremely bland, but it was usually luke warm unless you happen to catch it as soon as they put it out which is unlikely. There was no flavor in anything! A lot of it seemed old like it had been sitting there for hours. It seemed like the lowest quality food as well- like they had bought everything at a cheap food warehouse. They didn't even have any authentic Mexican flavors! Yes they had salsa...but it seemed like salsa we might have in america. Everything seemed sooo american. They were constantly serving hotdogs and hamburgers..but thin, pale patties with no spices or flavor and the hotdogs looked the kind from wal mart. In the morning we tried the omelete bar- they have the ingredients out for you to choose and they make your omelete in front of you. Can't go wrong there right? Wrong. Their choice of ingredients seemed awfully strange to us...corn...squash..peas? And the heat must have been too high on the burners because the omelete came out thin and rubbery every time. The waffles and pancakes were room temp every morning, with no flavor once again. The sausage was quite weird...fried? Full of grease and no flavor. Finally we figured out the only thing that was good was two fried eggs (made to order) on toast with bacon (which they finally had out the last two days hot! not luke warm). Where is the mexican eggs, refried beans, and platanos?
Lunch was another disappointment everyday so much so that we asked a waiter where the locals eat and ended up taking a bus off the highway (the main road outside the resort) to the city of Tulum where we walked for a while to find a taqueria. Sooo good! The next day we didn't even eat lunch. And then another day we took a bus to Akumal (much closer- only about a 2 mile drive, we probably could have walked) and went to Loncheria Akumalita which we found on trip advisor. It is a small authentic mexican "eatery". Once you get off the bus for Akumal, you walk to the right (towards the beach) on the only road there and you will soon find two small supermarkets next to Loncheria Akumalita and a few hotels. We got the chicken, pork, and beef tacos, (9 tacos total) with limonada and horchata for about $20. More expensive than where we went in Tulum but this place is a little more touristy because they are next to hotels. But it was SOOOOOO good. They had a pretty good sized menu too. We walked to the beach after which was beautiful. The bus ride to Akumal was 15 pesos for one person one way. For Tulum it was 25 pesos.
For dinner you can either endure the buffet yet again (which never changes), or make reservations at one of the many restaurants at any of the resorts. We made reservations at Alux, Alaquin, La Gran Tortuga and Mikado (which we never ended up going to because we were full from tacos!). I realllly wish the people at Check-in would have advised us to make our reservations our very first day because we did not know we would have problems getting them! First, you can only make reservations by going to the Public Relations desk in the lobby. (why can't you call from your room??) I had to wait in line for about 20 minutes for a chance to sit down at the PR desk because there are only TWO PR people and they were both helping people. So instead of being able to go right to the beach after breakfast we had to wait in a line. Then it took another 20 minutes to even make the reservations because their computer system is slow. And then every time and restaurant we originally wanted to try was booked! We ended up having reservations at either 5:30pm or 9pm due to every other time being filled! They give you a receipt that you must present at your reservation. (what kind of system is this??) Anyways, you can also get a schedule from the PR desk for the shows that they have every evening at either the Coba, Akumal, or Tulum location.
We ended up seeing the Circo Africa show one night at 10pm (So late!). It was a pretty good show though, but we ended up sitting pretty close to the front because it was packed and we got there after it had already started. We also went to the Mexican Fiesta they have every thursday evening 8:30-10pm. However this was $16 a person...and not worth it. It would probably be more fun if you go with a group because they have games (darts, pin the tail on the donkey, mechanical bull riding etc.). They had an open bar (but that is every where on the resort) and the show just consisted of some traditional dances and a mariachi band. Although the beginning part was funny- they had a "contest" to find "Mr. Mexico" from the crowd.
A word about the shuttles- you have to wait in the lobby to take a shuttle to anywhere basically cause Sian Ka'an is a pretty looong walk from everywhere. I didn't mind the shuttles at all except the wait for them- about 10 minutes every time. I have read reviews of people not ever having to wait but that was not the case during our stay. And you have to ask where each shuttle is going before you get on.
Back to the food though, the only good food at this place was at the fancier dinner restaurants- Alux and Alaquin. These two places had some great food! Finally! La Gran Tortuga was only mediocre. It is a brazilian place but the meat was again...bland and flavorless. We only tried these three because of previous reviews i had read here on trip advisor.
Moving on..the beach was fantastic! The sian ka'an has an exclusive beach area with nicer chairs and a nicer beach front then the other hotels. Servers come around every so often to take drink orders which was great- pina coladas were awesome. You can pick up your towels at the bar right on the beach in the exclusive sian ka'an area. The water was beautiful- perfectly clear with schools of angel fish surrounding you! They have these huge wave breakers near the shore which was cool because it allowed for a calmer coast- which is why the fish were so close to shore i believe due to the calm waters. But it was also fun to climb on the wave breakers and slide off!
Rooms- we had a ground floor room in building 11. A standard room with a king size bed (labeled as a junior suite superior from cheap caribbean.com). We were pleasantly surprised by the HD flat screen tv. There is no microwave tho (so leave your popcorn at home) but there is a mini fridge which they restock almost every day with drinks and a couple snacks like chips and candy bars. The room was very clean (minus the hair in the shower drain- which didn't disappear until our 4th day there for some reason). The bed was comfortable and they must have put in new shades since everyone's negative reviews because they were sufficient in keeping the sunlight out in the morning. The only negative about the room...the noise! Apparently everyone likes to wake up around 6am here and you can hear everything unless you turn on a noise maker on your iphone (which we did). They also had maintenance around 7 am like leaf blowers and sweeping (which we could also hear!) but speaking of maintenance...
The shower was so strange. No matter what position the shower handle was in, the temperature of the water would constantly go from boiling hot to luke warm to cold all by itself! So frustrating. We called maintenance twice for different reasons and each time they took at least 30 minutes to arrive.
Airport transfers- we booked with Olympus Tours through CheapCaribbean.com which was $130 for two people roundtrip. Best price i could find online. However what they don't tell you is that they will be dropping off and picking up other people on the way and it is not an hour drive...it is an hour and 40 minute drive.
Oh and there is free wifi - but only reliable in the lobby. We had it in our room once in a while and it was slow and spotty.
Last point- I wish the people at Check-In would explain how things work at this resort- the shuttles, the food, towels, dinner reservations, shows etc. Why do we have to find this out for ourselves? They should have at least pointed us to the PR desk.
Overall, the beach was amazing...the food was awful and disappointing. We would rather stay in lower quality room to have edible food!

5  Thank Mdanielle
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Book this hotel well you can afford to because it is only going to go up....! l stayed here as a alone jan 13 to the 20 and let me say it is special . We stayed at the gran bahia coba in nov with the family and we had a blast. So when l had a chance to go Sian Ka'an l booked. This hotel is above a 5 star its in a class of its own and the price is so right ! If you wanted to be treated to fantastic service by people that who just want to make you happy then you must book this hotel. I stayed in 40321 building 3a beside the lobby and choose to upgrade to the rooftop penthouse suite with the jacuzzi......Wow I felt like a movie star by far the nicest suite I have stayed at. This room was huge and more than I had expected .The cleaning staff do a great job always spotless.There is a well stocked mini fridge that is taken care of daily. The resort is just like it looks in the pictures so clean and safe .I am not a golfer but did have an chance to go for a drive around some of the course and talked to a few golfers in the lobby and from what they said its one of the best courses they have played and it does look so nice cut out of a jungle the colors and smells and the club house just steps away from the hotel.The food was also fantastic always lots to choose from and being there alone I choose to eat only at the buffet and I always found the food to be gourmet quality .The hotel is across the highway from the rest of the gran bahia complex and there is always a tram to take you back and forth.The great part of staying here is that you can use the whole complex but they cant come to our hotel which make it exclusive . Around 10:30 pm it gets quite so perfect for me and if you want to party the night away its just a tram ride away. Hotels are just brick , glass and steel its the people who make it great and let me say at this hotel the people are special always going out of there way to see if they can make your stay any better. I am already looking to book again because I know before long this hotel will have a waiting list to get in and it will be well above what l can afford . Tell them no neck sent you lol have a great trip................!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
16  Thank noneck-11
Reviewed January 21, 2012

We booked this through Air Canada Vacations which was great as I could switch our Ottawa to Toronto connection to the day before to avoid any last minute weather glitches that could interfere with catching our flight to Cancun. I have been to the Mayan Riviera 12-15 times always staying at All inclusive resorts.
There are some good as well some not-so-good things with this resort. It is brand new and very modern, white buildings with lots of glass and metal, not your typical thatch and brightly painted buildings. It was a nice change from other places. Our room was a Junior suite with a King bed, shower in the bathroom plus a safe and a fridge in the closet. The surprise is that there aren't any drawers in the room.....so where to put all of our pieces of clothing that normally wouldn't hang in the closet. Well, they wound up stuffed in the bedside table and laid out on the chairs and a table plus a small ledge next to the TV ( which was a flatscreen btw) Hmmmm. I was not happy, I like my space to be neat and this wasn't working. We took showers twice a day but we spent most of the time trying to avoid being burnt by the hot water and then frozen by the following blasts of cold water. We did the shower dance each and every day. My point is that as an adult you can manage something like this, but what about all the people with little children? A small child could get a serious burn.....NOT IMPRESSIVE !!. The fridge had a couple of cans of xx beer, one can of diet coke and 6 cans of coke, orange crush etc. We were warned by other guests that if we wanted more than what was in the fridge, we would have to take out what we liked before we left the room so that the maid would replace those items. Otherwise you can't get any more and at the front desk we were told that there would be a charge for having more than the two beers per day. Really? I asked. Really!! I was told. Hmmm.... The King size bed is laid out sideways so that the width of the bed is where the length should be. so at night our feet hung off the bed. Yes, we could have slept sideways on the bed to make it correct, but then the pillows fall off the bed because you don't have a headboard.....this room stuff was getting tiresome.
The Sian Ka'an requires a tram to take you to the other hotels in the complex or to the beach. They come reasonably frequently, but when my fellow had to go back to the hotel to get something he needed, he was gone for an hour due to the transportation.
On the other hand, the service was excellent, the staff work very hard and they are always pleasant and have a smile. That was lovely. The drinks at the bar were very good as well, and everyone seemed to have their favorite bartender or waitress. The food was hit and miss. Some meals at the buffet were terrific and others were just mediocre. They had a lovely dessert section with chocolates, mousse and cheese. There was caviar and sliced meats, hams and sausages. On the other hand, you couldn't get bacon if your life depended on it. There was one small 9 x 13 pan that held bacon and when it did come out people descended and emptied it in seconds. Then the replacement pan would come out 15 minutes later and the same thing would happen. I did get some on two days and it really was very tasty. The morning buffet was always very understaffed, the few staff available were working incredibly hard trying to keep up with cleaning tables, removing dishes, setting up, delivering coffee, juice and mimosas, but it was impossible for them. We waited every morning for coffee and sometimes would just go and get it for ourselves which the senior staff frowned upon. The coffee was absolutely fantastic. Fresh, hot and flavourful, in fact it was some of the best I've ever had, I just wish I had been able to get it when I wanted to drink it. We were not allowed to take our hot coffee out to the front lobby which was beside the restaurant. They had a coffee urn out there, but often it was tepid, so, we would sneak by and hope they didn't stop us. The pools were nice and quiet with comfortable lounge chairs. There is no requirement to exchange towel cards for towels which was very nice, we just had to remember to take our towels from the hotel down to the beach as we couldn't get them at the other resorts since we didn't have the towel cards that they required.
We ate at the japanese restaurant at the Sian Ka'an as well as at the Coba. The Sian kaan was far superior. The Mexican restaurant had mediocre food ( how do you mess up Mexican food in Mexico?) but their Margarita was absolutely fantastic !! The Brazilian restaurant was excellent, the meat was tasty and cooked beautifully and the Capirinha drink was once again just fabulous. On the other hand the Italian restaurant, the Portofino was so terrible that we told everyone to avoid it. The wine was vinegary,the soup was cold and heavily salted and the main courses were flavorless. What a huge disappointment.
The beach was very nice, the water was lovely and the Sian Ka'an private beach had the same nice lounge chairs and its own bar. If you wanted food you had to walk a long way back to the Tulum resort to find the snack bar. We didn't want to eat on the beach, but it was an inconvenience for those who did.
All in all, it was a nice vacation, but i wouldn't return to the Sian Ka'an until they get more of the glitches out of the system. At the moment they are running a special and it is only about $1000 per person, airfare included, but once the price goes up, there are other resorts that I would choose first.

6  Thank Temptationgirl