“Great Location, Not Much Else”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of La Lunita

La Lunita
Reserve with OpenTable
La Lunita is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 38 Restaurants in Akumal
Cuisines: Mexican, Caribbean, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Monterey County
“Great Location, Not Much Else”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

We went to La Lunita back in January 2013 and thought it was really good, so we made sure to go back. This time was not up to standard for us. It's of course a beautiful setting, and for this reason I was tempted to give it another star. This review is for food and service only. I decided to leave the location out, because any restaurant here would have a great location. We had a young woman server who looked like she was either over-worked, or not very competent as a server. We couldn't tell which, because we only saw her maybe 4 times our entire meal.
This was a dangerously mediocre meal because it wasn't so bad that we would put ourselves out enough to complain on our vacation, but not good enough to leave a favorable review. I hate that, because being in the industry myself, I like the opportunity to improve before a review is posted. The service was not good, and the food had more problems than the service .
We ordered the duck tacos, and the duck meat was exceedingly dry. It was like it sat under a heat-lamp for hours before entering our tacos. I had to sip my wine after every bite until I discovered I had to ask for extra sauce to make it swallow-able. This was a shame because the flavors were really good.
The caesar salad was not even close to the ones we make at home. The salad was so lightly dressed we had to ask for more dressing (from the busser) because it tasted like plain romaine lettuce. When we got the extra dressing, it was worse. I believe they actually used mayo, rather than egg yolks. It had the paste texture of mayo rather than the silky-smooth texture of egg yolks, olive oil with anchovies and the other classic caesar ingredients. To La Lunita- I would suggest making house caesar dressing, without mayo. (Honestly, I would love to give La Lunita my recipe.)
They had a good wine list, but it all came at a hefty price. More expensive than Playa del Carmen wine list prices, in my experience. (And to be clear, I am a wine snob, so I look for this everywhere I go.)
We had the lobster raviolis which were not good. The sauce was mediocre, and the edges of the lobster ravioli felt like they were not cooked fully. They were almost crunchy, and not in the good Al Dente way.
We also ordered the lobster, which was cooked to perfection! The only things I would say about it would be, it was pretty small for the price, and the chef could have at least seasoned it with a little salt before or during the cooking process. It was bland, other than the excellent fresh lobster flavor, cooked perfectly, dipped in butter.
We would not return, based on this experience. We'd rather have a consistently great meal, with great service and drinks from La Buena Vida than take the risk of eating at La Lunita again.

Boston
“Delightfully different in Akumal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

After 5 days of eating out in Akumal we stumbled on this place just in time. It was refreshingly a bit more elegant, but not too elegant, a bit more refined in cuisine and yes while the portions were smaller it worked for us. After a week of over eating it was welcomed! ALso, this restaurant has seating protected from the wind, but still on the beach. A one of its kind on Half Moon Bay and not much to compete in Akumal Bay.

nanoose bay, bc
“pricey for the size of the portions”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

Well, we were warned, (about the so/so food and the prices) but I really wanted to go and try their special "Marguerita Tamarindo", and YES, it was worth the trip there for this tasty Yucatan fusion drink. BUT, we ordered an appy platter to go with our drinks and it was $140 pesos (for us $14 Cd) for 3 tiny, morsels of food, each a couple of bites worth. On a dry cracker or piece of baguette. I just hate paying a bunch of money for hardly anything. It wasn't even anything different or special. I do not think we would return for a meal, based on this experience. I like to get a plate of food when I am paying at a restaurant. Go for a drink, it is on the beach, and the atmosphere is very nice, but eat elsewhere uniess you like to throw money around for no good reason.

White Lake, Michigan
“La Lunita best food in Akumal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

We eat at La Lunita for dinner in February. The best meal we had in mexico, great service, nice views of the bay, best Margarita's, and very reasonable prices. We had steak and seafood which were perfectly prepared. We wish we had discovered La Lunita sooner! We look forward to coming back someday!

Visited February 2014
Denver, Colorado
“Beautiful experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

A local friend recommended La Lunita restaurant, which was just a 3 minute walk from where we were staying, and we were thrilled to find out about it. Attractive, & simply elegant, it sits right on the beach. There are tables in the bar area, which is indoors, and the tables in the sand w/ a low rock wall, and there is an area that is slightly raised but open, and covered.
The wait staff was attentive, and kind. The food was delicious! We went back 3 times in our 5 day stay. On "Lobster Fridays", they feature a variety of lobster dishes, soup, salad, main entree lobster dishes in addition to the regular menu.
The classic margaritas w/ controiu were delicious. The menu was very well rounded, and he food was fresh and not salty at all. Yummy flavors, well balanced, & extremely delectable. The flan was some of the best I have Ever had as well.
There are condo units above and adjoined next door, and we plan to stay at Lunita the next time we come to Akumal. Check it out!!